Looking at the cap...

scs787

I am very disappointed Briggs walk away from his leadership role the last two games and left his teammates to defend themselves with the media. I will not be disappointed if they find a way to get value for him. Peace :dabears
Yes, he failed as a leader this year. If we let him and Peppers go, does that make peanut more important to re-sign? Or do we already have a leader we haven't talked about?

I'd rather keep him but, with the talks of 1. Moving to a 3-4 2. Bostic being a better fit at OLB and 3. SMC moving to LB, it wouldn't totally shock me.

Not sure about a "late round pick" though, at least not 6-7R late, MAYBE 5th, but I would hope for a 4th. If they have to throw in their 6th to get a 4th (Last year a 32 year old Isaac Sopoaga was traded with a 6th to get a 5th, and Briggs is better) I'd do it.

I am very disappointed Briggs walk away from his leadership role the last two games and left his teammates to defend themselves with the media. I will not be disappointed if they find a way to get value for him.

Peace :dabears

Interesting take considering Urlacher was still a huge asset if for nothing else as a "leader" yet Briggs doesn't step up in the last two games and you're ready to cut bait...again.

In response to AZ's comment though I for one am actually ok should Briggs leave. I don't think there will be much more reason for him to return this year. He's been a malcontent off and on for years and less 'leader quality' especially compared to URL. He'd be foolish if he didn't try and get to TB.

To fill the void I think the logical choice is Peanut. He epitomizes the role and would be spectacular in leading the soon to be youth movement on D. If not him then maybe Jennings. He said he wanted to be a cornerstone guy, he got the contract now is the time. Beyond that I would think either Ratliff (even though he's new) or Anderson would be next in line.

To fill the void I think the logical choice is Peanut. He epitomizes the role and would be spectacular in leading the soon to be youth movement on D. If not him then maybe Jennings. He said he wanted to be a cornerstone guy, he got the contract now is the time. Beyond that I would think either Ratliff (even though he's new) or Anderson would be next in line.

I think the Bears share my significant concerns with Nut's health. I think the world of him but it wouldn't surprise me at all if his Bear's career was over.

Don't really know where to put this so I'll just throw it in here.....Terrance Cody might hit the FA market because the Ravens are strapped for cash. If the Bears do move to a 3-4 I'd love to see him manning the middle. He's been stuck behind Ngata, one of the best nose tackles in the league, his whole career so you won't see the stats there, but make no mistake he's a starter on most every other 3-4 defense. Because he hasn't started he won't be very expensive either. My offseason wish is for 2 studs and 1 "mid tier" defender, I think Cody would be great as the "mid tier" guy.

Interesting take considering Urlacher was still a huge asset if for nothing else as a "leader" yet Briggs doesn't step up in the last two games and you're ready to cut bait...again.

In response to AZ's comment though I for one am actually ok should Briggs leave. I don't think there will be much more reason for him to return this year. He's been a malcontent off and on for years and less 'leader quality' especially compared to URL. He'd be foolish if he didn't try and get to TB.

Add into that he will be pining for a new contract. So I think with all we have to do on defense, lets just move on rebuild everything. we save 5.5 if we let Briggs go.

I think our leadership role will be filled in FAgency, and or the draft. We need a stud that can handle the leadership role.

I think the Bears share my significant concerns with Nut's health. I think the world of him but it wouldn't surprise me at all if his Bear's career was over.

I think he goes and joins Lovie. I think some of the old regime on defense kinda didnt buy in to the new guys and that contributed the breakdown of the defense.

1R- Jason Verrett CB- Capable speed to play man

2R- Ra'shede Hageman DE/DT- Seen some reports saying he's an ideal 3-4 DE, and another say he can be a 3-4 NT...Wherever he plays we could use em

3R- Calvin Pryor S- Plays nnext to Ihedigbo

4R- AJ Johnson ILB- Speedy, SEC tackling machine, not sure why he's being called a 4th rounder here.

5R- Bryan Stork C- Center to compete with Boggs who the Bears like

6R- Ryan Carrenthers NT- Another monster NT

6R- L'Damian Washington Wr- Just for funzies I'll draft the 6'4" guy with 4.3 speed

To be fair, Johnson's big knock is actually his speed. He's improved it a lot, but he still struggles in coverage because he can't keep up with TE's or RB's. He is a tackling machine, though, like you pointed out. And he's a smart player who calls the defense. I'm a huge Tennessee fan so I've seen every one of Johnson's games over the last 3 years. 4th-5th round is exactly where he should be projected to go, as of now. He made huge strides in our last 4 games, though. Lots of football people say that if he can put together an entire Senior year like that, then he could improve his stock to 2nd-3rd round. I think he ultimately comes back for his Senior year.

Anyway, I just wanted to add a little insight from someone who's seen as much of AJ as anyone.

Good point.

To be fair, Johnson's big knock is actually his speed. He's improved it a lot, but he still struggles in coverage because he can't keep up with TE's or RB's. He is a tackling machine, though, like you pointed out. And he's a smart player who calls the defense. I'm a huge Tennessee fan so I've seen every one of Johnson's games over the last 3 years. 4th-5th round is exactly where he should be projected to go, as of now. He made huge strides in our last 4 games, though. Lots of football people say that if he can put together an entire Senior year like that, then he could improve his stock to 2nd-3rd round. I think he ultimately comes back for his Senior year.

Anyway, I just wanted to add a little insight from someone who's seen as much of AJ as anyone.

Thanks for the insight. When I do these mock drafts I just go off scouting reports (unless they're from a B1G school or a school that gets a lot of air time) and this is what the mock had to sat about him....

Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot to like about Johnson. He is extremely fast, athletic and physical. Johnson seems to have the speed and quick-twitch ability to function in space that are key in the passing-driven NFL. Playing in the SEC should provide him with solid preparation to take on ground offenses at the next level.

But, after further looking into it just now I looked up his 40 time and it split (l0w/avg/high) 4.62/4.73/4.85.....Which isn't "bad" for an LB, but it isn't "speedy" or "extremely fast".