OT Next

lemonej

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

thanks for the clarification - I had thought we got back a 4th in this trade. Guess not.

Still, we got two quality prospects, and maybe he will hit on a long shot from the 5th rounder etc.

They got a 5th back. They traded their 5th for Fields. 

I know we’ve been trying to trade Anthony Miller.  But with his size and speed, isn’t he our best option as a #2 WR?

Mooney and Goodwin seem like slot receivers.   Then we have JAvon Wims and Riley Ridley who barely see the field.  

We had 4 picks in the first four rounds and most agreed that one of those would go towards a #2 WR.  That didn’t happen.  

Maybe they try Miller one more time but his fight at the end of the year may have showed him the door.  Actually Mooney and Goodwin play outside and Miller was the slot WR.  Also don't forget,  I suspect Cohen could be the slot WR going forward. 

1 hour ago, bradjock said:

I know we’ve been trying to trade Anthony Miller.  But with his size and speed, isn’t he our best option as a #2 WR?

Mooney and Goodwin seem like slot receivers.   Then we have JAvon Wims and Riley Ridley who barely see the field.  

We had 4 picks in the first four rounds and most agreed that one of those would go towards a #2 WR.  That didn’t happen.  

He is a liability. A DB gets in his face and he costs us yardage or the game. Trade him or cut his incontrolable ass. 

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Maybe they try Miller one more time but his fight at the end of the year may have showed him the door.  Actually Mooney and Goodwin play outside and Miller was the slot WR.  Also don't forget,  I suspect Cohen could be the slot WR going forward. 

We’ve talked about Cohen being the slot receiver since he’s been drafted.  I don’t see that happening.  Sure there will be the gimmick play where he goes long—but not on a consistent basis. 

On the subject of Cohen, who is our kick-off return man?  Cohen is a really good punt returner.  Do we expand his duties? 

3 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Another hefty price we Bears fans seem to pay yearly. 

Agree. I love the pick, but Pace has zero patience. He loves who he loves and goes all in like a beginning poker player. If he had been picking studs all this time and his analysis had been top notch, then it’d be hard to argue. He has been average at best, however, and doesn’t have the credentials to constantly limit the draft pool.

Always trading up is a horrible strategy.

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I totally see Cohen playing 80% of snaps as a slot WR if he doesn't find us a slot WR.  We have D. Williams now who is a good player. 

Goodwin can play the slot.

Awesome draft so far as long as Fields and Jenkins pan out. Fingers crossed because the draft is a crapshoot and I am unsure what the success rate is with a transition from college to the NFL. It’s probably below 50%. 

Would like Jenkins to play LT so that we can move on from Leno and save cap space but a greater hole could be at RT. 

Shame we gave up our 4th for Foles and we haven’t managed to trade him. I had hoped Miller being on the block could have got us a decent pick like a 4th but the WR position in this draft is strong. Fingers crossed Dalton has good success and he gets a good contract in free agency and the Bears get a decent compensatory pick like a 3rd but I don’t know the process for determining the picks. 

Nice if we could get another OT, a CB and S today and if so would round of the draft perfectly. 

5 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Goodwin can play the slot.

I always thought Goodwin always played the slot but after he came here was checking him out and the majority of his reps have been outside.  Has great vertical speed but not good with short area quickness.  Something slot guys usually have for traits. Him, Mooney and even Robinson has played the slot .

2 hours ago, 50england50 said:

Awesome draft so far as long as Fields and Jenkins pan out. Fingers crossed because the draft is a crapshoot and I am unsure what the success rate is with a transition from college to the NFL. It’s probably below 50%. 

Would like Jenkins to play LT so that we can move on from Leno and save cap space but a greater hole could be at RT. 

Shame we gave up our 4th for Foles and we haven’t managed to trade him. I had hoped Miller being on the block could have got us a decent pick like a 4th but the WR position in this draft is strong. Fingers crossed Dalton has good success and he gets a good contract in free agency and the Bears get a decent compensatory pick like a 3rd but I don’t know the process for determining the picks. 

Nice if we could get another OT, a CB and S today and if so would round of the draft perfectly. 

Jenkins has played left tackle before and in his interview has been practicing LT and OC during the off season.  I think he may very well could be put there especially if they draft another OT. He could be a special player,  may be able to play anywhere. 

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Nobody wanted Anthony Miller.  If I'm Nagy, I sit Miller down and essentially tell him that he is the most gifted receiver on the team, but nobody wants you.  Get your shit together or this will be over in training camp and remember, nobody wanted you.

9 hours ago, jason said:

Agree. I love the pick, but Pace has zero patience. He loves who he loves and goes all in like a beginning poker player. If he had been picking studs all this time and his analysis had been top notch, then it’d be hard to argue. He has been average at best, however, and doesn’t have the credentials to constantly limit the draft pool.

Always trading up is a horrible strategy.

Remember, Pace and Nagy have the smartest guy in the room syndrome.  Only a fool would think he could draft 5 guys a year and fill a legit NFL roster.  Love Jenkins, hate the trade.  We could have had Dillon Radunz at 52 and still have our 3rd and pick WR Amari Rodgers from Clemson.

I would suspect most GMs have that syndrome,  that's how they got there jobs to be begin with.  I would have loved Radunz and Rodgers but it takes 3 yrs to know if a draft works out and I didn't get to choose.  I'm not a Pace lover by any count but I do hope what he does works out because I'm a bears lover. Because I would prefer a new GM that doesn't mean I want him to fail in his roster building.  I love the Jenkins pick and think Fields ends up being a keeper.  So I hope success with everything we do this year.  As far as GMs go, he is in the middle of success and failures if you're rating them,  it's just easier to remember what he fails at.

Are there any OT’s left worthy of drafting that improve the team instead of playing:

Leno at LT and Jenkins right

Or

Jenkins at left and who ever is currently on the roster that will win the RT spot? 

Could Leno play RT?

Will Eric Fisher be ready by training camp, could the Bears afford him and if yes is the answer to both would this sort out our oline now and into the future.