Jadeveon Clowney

jason

How far would you be willing to trade up for the right talent?

Suppose the top of the draft goes QB crazy. Four of the top five teams need a QB. The Rams like their QB, their coach has a relationship with a stud player’s Dad (Bruce/Jake Matthews), and they need playmakers.

Atlanta sits at pick 6, and one of their team needs is DL.

1. HOU – Bridgewater

2. STL – Matthews

3. JAX – Manziel

4. CLE – Bortles

5. OAK

On the Value Chart, the #5 pick is 1,700 points and the #14 is 1,100 points. The Bears’ second rounder is worth 390.

Given that Oakland has notoriously bad front office decisions, let’s say they’re willing to trade their first rounder for the Bears’ first and second.

Do you make the move if Clowney is sitting there at #5?

I think I would. Or maybe do something to package Peppers and/or Briggs and a 3rd instead of a 2nd?

Suppose the top of the draft goes QB crazy. Four of the top five teams need a QB. The Rams like their QB, their coach has a relationship with a stud player’s Dad (Bruce/Jake Matthews), and they need playmakers.

1. HOU – Bridgewater

2. STL – Matthews

3. JAX – Manziel

4. CLE – Bortles

5. OAK

On the Value Chart, the #5 pick is 1,700 points and the #14 is 1,100 points. The Bears’ second rounder is worth 390.

Given that Oakland has notoriously bad front office decisions, let’s say they’re willing to trade their first rounder for the Bears’ first and second.

Depends what they do in free agency honestly. 1 man, no matter how good he may be isn't going to turn the defense around.

This is supposed to be a really good draft, a 1st and a 2nd probably makes a bigger impact than Clowney alone.

I agree. I hope we trade down, and get 4 picks in the first three rounds.

I agree. I hope we trade down, and get 4 picks in the first three rounds.

At this point I just want Aaron Donald. The new WF mock has the Bears taking him and notes that he should be taken anywhere between 13-16, which sounds about right(I don't think he'll make it past Dallas), so I'm not sure they can really trade down to get him.

Depends what they do in free agency honestly. 1 man, no matter how good he may be isn't going to turn the defense around.

This is supposed to be a really good draft, a 1st and a 2nd probably makes a bigger impact than Clowney alone.

I could go either way.

With the Rookie contracts set they way they are I would make a Play for him if you didn't over spend with picks. What did Atlanta give up to get Julio Jones? That deal looks to be the right deal. If Clowney ends up being a superstar you would have him for 4 to 5 years on the cheap. If Emery gets two good players that would def help with the amount of holes in our D.

I really just want Emery to hit on the 1st,2nd and 3rd round draft picks more often then JA. JA blew too many 1-3 draft picks. If I listed his misses in the first 3 rounds we could really get depressed.

I love going back and looking at drafts to see who we could have taken instead of the pick we took. Wind sight is 20/20.

Emery so far

1st =Shae - Miss (still the jury is out but im leaning bust because they drafted him for the DE spot)

2nd= Alshon- HUGE HIT

3rd= Hardin- miss, actually a huge miss

1st- Long- Hit... shit Ill give this a huge hit. Seems to have everything one would want.

2nd- Bostic- jury still out, made some nice plays to show some big potential

3rd- no pic - but I will say the Mills pick in the 5th looks to be a great pick

Not off to a great start, but could be really good if Bostic and Shae turn out to be good.

2 years ago the Rams traded their 6th pick to the Cowboys for the 14th and a 2R pick....The article mentions that usually a 4th rounder is also needed but hey, it's the Cowboys.

For a player like Clowney you're gonna need that 4th rounder more than likely....So in a year where we lack a ton of depth I don't think it's wise to go into the draft with just a 1R, 3R, and 2 6R.

If it was a move to "put them over the top" ala the Julio Jones trade then ya, I'd do it.

1. HOU – Bridgewater

2. STL – Matthews

3. JAX – Manziel

4. CLE – Bortles

5. OAK

You only make that move if your one or two players away. We are 7 players away right now. Plus no one will let you move up to 5 for just a 2nd rounder, no way in hell does that happen. At least 2nd, 3rd and 6th

2 years ago the Rams traded their 6th pick to the Cowboys for the 14th and a 2R pick....The article mentions that usually a 4th rounder is also needed but hey, it's the Cowboys.

For a player like Clowney you're gonna need that 4th rounder more than likely....So in a year where we lack a ton of depth I don't think it's wise to go into the draft with just a 1R, 3R, and 2 6R.

If it was a move to "put them over the top" ala the Julio Jones trade then ya, I'd do it.

Agreed. With his measurables and what the Seahawks defense did to Peyton Manning, with no sure fire #1 QB, I think one or another Clowney is going #1. He's the clear cut #1 talent.

People forget that one of the reasons the Redskin consider to be mediocre is that they usually trade away their draft. That's not a good habit.

We are far more likely to trade down than up.

1. HOU – Bridgewater

2. STL – Matthews

3. JAX – Manziel

4. CLE – Bortles

5. OAK

I hate the idea of trading up, but i absolutely do it.

No. Too much talent in this draft to do that and we have too many holes. Clowney hasn't impressed me this year at all in the few times I watched him on the field. Whether that is due to injuries or not, he just looked average or even lackadaisical. Plus I don't like all the reports on his lack of work ethic either. Would I take him if we were holding the 5th pick, absolutely. But not giving up our draft for him given all the holes we have on D.

This is also in part due the highly unusual fact that our offense is ready to win now. If our window of opportunity were further down the road I might consider the deal. In this case I want the best D we can get on the field in 2014 and 2015. I think Clowney won't grow up and realize his true potential until he gets closer to the end of his first contract. A guy like Donald, Jernigan will (since we're usually talking DT with our first pick).

I think Clowney won't grow up and realize his true potential until he gets closer to the end of his first contract.

I agree with you here. He certainly loves to talk about himself. I don't like players like that, even if they can back it up. I think he's got a ton of talent but fear what you suggest, that he'll waste a lot of energy on bullshit for the first few years of his rookie contract. So, with that said, I've changed my mind and probably wouldn't move up to get him.