2014 NFL Draft Open Thread

adam

I like what Browns have done. I really liked getting the CB. I have quietly been pushing CB over safety (in fact had MLB over safety too) and would have taken CB or Mosely over either safety, especially Ha Ha who I think is very overrated. I think in this deep corner draft we'll see Bears select another corner, who they think they can move to free safety. We got a guy who some thought was the top corner in the draft @ 14. I'll take that all day and let Tillman and company help coach him and prepare him. I hope we get another young guy to join the secondary and think it will be a third or 4th rounder that we convert. You can find good safety's late and that guy doesn't have to be a safety as you can teach a corner to be a safety and succeed (and I love the idea of having a guy that is a good cover guy at safety…clearly they have to be able to tackle too).

Thanks goodness they didn't go LB. That just doesn't make sense. CB makes more sense, but not as much as S and DT.

Also. It's not as easy to finda good safety late...just look at the roster since Mike Brown.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good corners always trump good safeties. And we got the best the draft had to offer. I'm definitely good with it. Tillman needs to move to FS now. It's what good old vets do. See the Woodsons...

And if Peanut doesn't move? It's a first round nickel corner. Bad value if that's what it is.

Thanks goodness they didn't go LB. That just doesn't make sense. CB makes more sense, but not as much as S and DT.

Also. It's not as easy to finda good safety late...just loom at the roster since Mike Brown.

We have struggled but the rest of the league hasn't. You can find a lot of safety's who were later round picks that are solid. Daniel Manning was a high pick (so we did invest there). Major Wright was an early pick too. We invested, we just missed.

And if Peanut doesn't move? It's a first round nickel corner. Bad value if that's what it is.

Not really. You don't draft on year one. He's going to get a lot of snaps if our CB's are healthy and if one goes down, he gets even more snaps and he's a starter a year from now (presuming he performs).

Not really. You don't draft on year one. He's going to get a lot of snaps if our CB's are healthy and if one goes down, he gets even more snaps and he's a starter a year from now (presuming he performs).

You're losing Tillman to make that move tho. He had improved every year before being injured all last year. Tillman's a team player that would have taken a lesser contract to come back next year and hadn't shown a sign of a decline.

We aren't taking a safety in round 2, not without trading down, imo. Converted corner to safety. Our safety's were in zero position to succeed last year. We had the worst dine in football. No pass rush, bad linebacking play (on top of the bad dline) put our safety's in bad spots from a rushing game perspective and also hung them out to dry from a cover perspective. They played bad too but an elite safety would have struggled given the situation at LB / Dline last year. It was just brutal. I think Emery recognizes that and they know they have a few guys that might play. Plus, I don't care what anyone says, Conte was not a bad player 2 years ago. He was freakin atrocious last year and I wouldn't write him off. Unfortunately that shoulder injury was a big issue for Bears cause that might spell him in.

I like our chances at getting a good cover guy who can tackle and moving them to FS. Jimmy Ward would be nice. Love how he finds himself around the football so often.

I hate that reasoning for two reasons.

1. If they wanted Safety, they should gave drafted a freaking safety. The two best were there. And studies have shown (link from previous thread) that drafting a first round safety is basically a guarantee.

2. You're basically saying that the safeties we have REQUIRE a stud DL and LB core to succeed. I'd rather have a FS who can succeed without needing a superb front 7.

We aren't taking a safety in round 2, not without trading down, imo. Converted corner to safety. Our safety's were in zero position to succeed last year. We had the worst dine in football. No pass rush, bad linebacking play (on top of the bad dline) put our safety's in bad spots from a rushing game perspective and also hung them out to dry from a cover perspective. They played bad too but an elite safety would have struggled given the situation at LB / Dline last year. It was just brutal. I think Emery recognizes that and they know they have a few guys that might play. Plus, I don't care what anyone says, Conte was not a bad player 2 years ago. He was freakin atrocious last year and I wouldn't write him off. Unfortunately that shoulder injury was a big issue for Bears cause that might spell him in.

I like our chances at getting a good cover guy who can tackle and moving them to FS. Jimmy Ward would be nice. Love how he finds himself around the football so often.

He's gone

So you disagree and then basically say that he will be a nickels corner? You draft first round for year one. First round players should start year one. Period.

1. If they wanted Safety, they should gave drafted a freaking safety. The two best were there. And studies have shown (link from previous thread) that drafting a first round safety is basically a guarantee.

2. You're basically saying that the safeties we have REQUIRE a stud DL and LB core to succeed. I'd rather have a FS who can succeed without needing a superb front 7.

They got who they wanted the safeties were still on the board. He will play #2 corner and Jennings will move to slot Corner. 70% of the time 3 corners are on the field.

We're starting to agree every year on the biggest need, I think we are getting old.

There all gone (top 4) maybe he finds a sleeper, we just have to deal with it.

They got who they wanted the safeties were still on the board. He will play #2 corner and Jennings will move to slot Corner. 70% of the time 3 corners are on the field.

I don't know about 70%, and even if it were 70%, whoever the Safety is required to cover is going to exploit that major weakness.

We're starting to agree every year on the biggest need, I think we are getting old.

Maybe it's because we realize what the biggest need is and want to see BPA and need combined. I'd rather see BPA and need than just BPA, provided the need isn't a reach.

Maybe it's because we realize what the biggest need is and want to see BPA and need combined. I'd rather see BPA and need than just BPA, provided the need isn't a reach.

When we first met on the other board I was a strong Benson guy and you were for Mike Williams. Neither turned out, but most the years we've been on the same page. I wasn't screaming OL as loud as you were but I was there, and still think it is a need this year. A special safety like what was available was a screaming need this year and all were available. Kills me that the Packers got the one I wanted but I would have been fine with pryor too.

It's going to make me sick if HHCD turns into a stud.

I just see the Polomolu/Mike Brown potential there whether it happens or not. The main reason that Safeties are valued so much now and what like 4 went i the first round.

The one thing I learned from the mock drafts I did was that if the Bears chose a CB in round 1 it would be very hard to get a starting caliber FS in Round two.

Should the Bears now trade up for Brooks in Round 2 or hang tight and look for either Dixon, Reynolds in later rounds or will Phil gamble on JSB or McGill, bigger corners that could transition to safety?

I don't know about 70%, and even if it were 70%, whoever the Safety is required to cover is going to exploit that major weakness.

Two years ago nobody was complaining about Conte, maybe he has a revival. If we cant find one in draft there will be cuts with all the teams that drafted Ss maybe we luck out there.

You're losing Tillman to make that move tho. He had improved every year before being injured all last year. Tillman's a team player that would have taken a lesser contract to come back next year and hadn't shown a sign of a decline.

I think at some point Tillman comes / moves to safety or plays in a reduced role. I think he has a spot in Chicago as long as he wants it. I love Tillman but in this league, you need multiple good corners.