Ego Ferguson, DT

ASHKUM BEAR

Ego Ferguson DT LSU will play 2 technique for the Bears. Haven't heard that term used much, but that is lining up in the middle of the G. New defense, different alignments I suppose.

Needed a DT. They got the DT they felt best fit their needs.

Peace :dabears

Needed a DT. They got the DT they felt best fit their needs.

Peace :dabears

Raw kid and we have brought in good coaches to develop him. He has talent around him with great leadership, Ratliff/Allen to learn from too. In a year or two we will forget the reach.

here is an article on Ferguson. Sounds like a project pick to me but no worries, Ego is in good hands?

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Statistics can be deceiving.

The Chicago Bears clearly looked beyond LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson's modest career collegiate numbers (12 career starts, 85 tackles, five tackles-for-loss and one sack) when drafting him at No. 51 overall.

They obviously believe the 6-foot-3, 315-pound Ferguson will add fresh legs to an already decent rotation at defensive tackle that includes veterans Jeremiah Ratliff, Nate Collins and Stephen Paea. Because the Bears are so high on Ratliff at three-technique, general manager Phil Emery didn't have to necessarily find a Week 1 starting interior defensive lineman in the draft.

After Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman and Florida State's Timmy Jernigan were taken off the board, Ferguson was the next best option in the Bears' mind.

He can stop the run. Ferguson had 58 tackles in 2013 when he was named honorable mention All-SEC. Not to be redundant, but the Bears are determined to find players that thrive in run support.

Word is Ferguson still needs to develop better interior pass-rushing skills.

"You always need to work," Ferguson said Friday night. "I need to improve on pass-rush and my spin move. But one thing I always bring is my heart and my competitive nature. [i'll do] whatever it takes and for however long it takes to win."

Bears 2012 first round pick Shea McClellin took to twitter to welcome his new teamate, "Welcome aboard Ego! I look forward working with you on your technique during OTA's and at Bourbonnais @SheaSpinsMcClellin50."

Second-round picks are expected to contribute in Year 1, but Ferguson has the luxury of working on his technique with veteran Bears defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni until he's ready to be thrust into a starting role.

Ferguson told reporters at Halas Hall he had a positive meeting with Pasqualoni when he visited the Bears before his pro day.

"[Pasqualoni] has a great personality and he brought me to the office and we were talking ball for a long time," Ferguson said. "He asked me if I can play that two-technique, can I do it? He said that's what the Bears want me for. He showed a lot of interest."

Pasqualoni was an important hire for the Bears in the offseason. With more than 40 years of coaching experience, he is the perfect person to coach up younger defensive linemen that may possess above-average traits, but have yet to garner above-average success.

The Bears are counting on Pasqualoni to refine Ferguson's pass-rushing technique; just as Rod Marinelli did with Israel Idonije, Henry Melton and Corey Wootton before the veteran coach departed for Dallas after the Chicago Bears fired Lovie Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...eteran-dl-coach

I'm sure Ego looks forward to Shea teaching him both things he knows.

Thats funny. We all know our needs, but at DT but the Bears put a lot of research into who they want, the difference is its different names. They have two new line coaches that I am sure had great input into this. Lets see what happens.

I think most of us have issues trusting Emery's ability to draft defense after the terrible Shea McClellan experiment. My best friend said it best in regards to Emery's draft picks, " When Emery drafts someone, we're all like WHO?" I think it's safe to ignore every mock draft out there in the future. If it's obvious, it won't happen. Not in Bears country.

here is an article on Ferguson. Sounds like a project pick to me but no worries, Ego is in good hands?

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Statistics can be deceiving.

The Chicago Bears clearly looked beyond LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson's modest career collegiate numbers (12 career starts, 85 tackles, five tackles-for-loss and one sack) when drafting him at No. 51 overall.

They obviously believe the 6-foot-3, 315-pound Ferguson will add fresh legs to an already decent rotation at defensive tackle that includes veterans Jeremiah Ratliff, Nate Collins and Stephen Paea. Because the Bears are so high on Ratliff at three-technique, general manager Phil Emery didn't have to necessarily find a Week 1 starting interior defensive lineman in the draft.

After Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman and Florida State's Timmy Jernigan were taken off the board, Ferguson was the next best option in the Bears' mind.

He can stop the run. Ferguson had 58 tackles in 2013 when he was named honorable mention All-SEC. Not to be redundant, but the Bears are determined to find players that thrive in run support.

Word is Ferguson still needs to develop better interior pass-rushing skills.

"You always need to work," Ferguson said Friday night. "I need to improve on pass-rush and my spin move. But one thing I always bring is my heart and my competitive nature. [i'll do] whatever it takes and for however long it takes to win."

Bears 2012 first round pick Shea McClellin took to twitter to welcome his new teamate, "Welcome aboard Ego! I look forward working with you on your technique during OTA's and at Bourbonnais @SheaSpinsMcClellin50."

Second-round picks are expected to contribute in Year 1, but Ferguson has the luxury of working on his technique with veteran Bears defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni until he's ready to be thrust into a starting role.

Ferguson told reporters at Halas Hall he had a positive meeting with Pasqualoni when he visited the Bears before his pro day.

"[Pasqualoni] has a great personality and he brought me to the office and we were talking ball for a long time," Ferguson said. "He asked me if I can play that two-technique, can I do it? He said that's what the Bears want me for. He showed a lot of interest."

Pasqualoni was an important hire for the Bears in the offseason. With more than 40 years of coaching experience, he is the perfect person to coach up younger defensive linemen that may possess above-average traits, but have yet to garner above-average success.

The Bears are counting on Pasqualoni to refine Ferguson's pass-rushing technique; just as Rod Marinelli did with Israel Idonije, Henry Melton and Corey Wootton before the veteran coach departed for Dallas after the Chicago Bears fired Lovie Smith.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post...eteran-dl-coach

The words raw were bandied about when it came to Kyle Long last year and we saw how Kromer groomed two rookies into starters. Lets see what this hand picked DL coach can do with this "Project".

I appreciate that SMC can at least laugh at his spin moves along with the rest of us.

[/quote

Guys: I added this part to the article, look at the Twitter handle.

Bears 2012 first round pick Shea McClellin took to twitter to welcome his new teamate, "Welcome aboard Ego! I look forward working with you on your technique during OTA's and at Bourbonnais @SheaSpinsMcClellin50

From cbs sports: draft grade

51.  Chicago: Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU:  The loss of Henry Melton to free agency was a big one for the Bears, but they grab another explosive, talented interior rusher here in Ferguson.  He'll get lost against the run at times and needs to stay low off the snap, but he possesses unique quickness and strong hands, and should challenge for a key interior rusher role right away in Chicago.  GRADE:  B-

From cbs sports: draft grade

51.  Chicago: Ego Ferguson, DT, LSU:  The loss of Henry Melton to free agency was a big one for the Bears, but they grab another explosive, talented interior rusher here in Ferguson.  He'll get lost against the run at times and needs to stay low off the snap, but he possesses unique quickness and strong hands, and should challenge for a key interior rusher role right away in Chicago.  GRADE:  B-

Interesting, I see him as the opposite, a guy who will be a force against the run and get lost as a pass rusher.

Interesting, I see him as the opposite, a guy who will be a force against the run and get lost as a pass rusher.

I agree as well but apparently he's good enough of an athlete to be a pass rush force too. When I looked at Jernigan game film he was more run defender as well. Good at holding his ground. I don't see Jernigan and Ferguson as that much different with the exception that Ferguson has more room to grow in terms of technique. Ferguson has more upside than Jernigan but I think Jernigan was the safer pick. Hopefully we'll see that upside.

Ditto. IDK where the opposite opinion comes from. If he were a real interior rush threat, it's likely Sutton wouldn't have Ben drafted.

Hope whoever is coaching this guy does a great job. LSU players drafted by the Bears 9x outta 10 so far are garbage.

Fixed your comment....

LSU DT 2013 stats.

Kyle Willams- 68 tackles 10.5 sacks

Micheal Brockers- 48 Tackles 5.5 sacks

Glenn Dorsey- 41 tackes 2 sacks (as a 3-4 NT)

Bennie Logan- 27 tackles 2 sacks (Rookie with a bright future)

Al Woods- 16 tackles 2 sacks...(Just got a 2yr 5M deal)

Ricky Jean-Francois- 19 tackles 2.5 sacks (Was hurt for 7 games....Signed a 4yr 22M contract last year)

Other LSU D players in the league

Perry Riley LB- 117 tackles

Eric Reid S- 77 tackles (Pro Bowler)

Patrick Peterson CB- 42 tackles (3rd pro bowl)

Barkevious Mingo LB-5 sacks 9 TFL 12 QBH

Honey Badger DB- 68 tackles (One of the most exciting players in the game)

Laron Landry S- 87 tackles in 12 games

Ryan Clark S- 107 tackles

Fixed your comment....

LSU DT 2013 stats.

Kyle Willams- 68 tackles 10.5 sacks

Micheal Brockers- 48 Tackles 5.5 sacks

Glenn Dorsey- 41 tackes 2 sacks (as a 3-4 NT)

Bennie Logan- 27 tackles 2 sacks (Rookie with a bright future)

Al Woods- 16 tackles 2 sacks...(Just got a 2yr 5M deal)

Ricky Jean-Francois- 19 tackles 2.5 sacks (Was hurt for 7 games....Signed a 4yr 22M contract last year)

Other LSU D players in the league

Perry Riley LB- 117 tackles

Eric Reid S- 77 tackles (Pro Bowler)

Patrick Peterson CB- 42 tackles (3rd pro bowl)

Barkevious Mingo LB-5 sacks 9 TFL 12 QBH

Honey Badger DB- 68 tackles (One of the most exciting players in the game)

Laron Landry S- 87 tackles in 12 games

Ryan Clark S- 107 tackles

Gee thanks SCS. We may not hear from Terra until training camp starts. Nice smackdown... :notworthy

Only good ones play as part of SF defense

Laron Landry Gimme a break

Lol thats what you got out of all that?? Landry was a 2012 pro bowler and would of made it last year had he not got hurt, he was on pace for 139 tackles...as a Safety...

Kyle Williams(Buffalo) is one of, if not the, best DT in the league. Micheal Brockers(STL) is better than Dorsey.

There's a reason why LSU had the most players drafted this year. They continue to churn out solid NFL players. You're just stuck on Steltz I guess.