Ray Lewis

ParkerBear7

After watching Ray Lewis "a football life" on NFL network I was thinking he should be brought into Chicago as our defensive quality control coach and groomed to be our future def coordinator. The dude was a stud who played the game the right way and clearly is a leader of men with a passion for excellence.

After watching Ray Lewis "a football life" on NFL network I was thinking he should be brought into Chicago as our defensive quality control coach and groomed to be our future def coordinator. The dude was a stud who played the game the right way and clearly is a leader of men with a passion for excellence.
I'd ask Singletary first, but Ray would be great too. Just to call them out in the film room would be great. Tucker isn't getting it done.

We've had one game to evaluate Reggie Herring and that's far from enough for me to make a judgment. Considering the guy who played the worst was the guy who has played in another system his entire career, Briggs, and has proven he does not want to lead this new group of LBs (prefers to open a restaurant) doesn't make me think Reggie is the issue. Doesn't say he is the solution either…there's just not enough data.

I really don't get how we would expect that our young LB crew would be assignment sound against all these varied NFL offense in just their first game? I get that there is training camp and some preseason snaps but in camp all they see is the same offense day after day. In preseason they see a generic version of what other teams will run. Urlacher didn't get it in his first season, most certainly not in his first 8 games. Neither did Briggs.

Great players often don't make great coaches, or even good ones. For one, most of the players you get to coach are of average ability. Great players often expect others to see and react to things as they used to see them and don't necessarily know how to break things down properly to get the most out of a player's talent. You can't simply walk into a room and say I demand excellence. It's not that easy. Richard Dent had zero impact on improving our pass rush years ago. Singletary, who I respect a great deal, made how many great LBs in his tenure with the Vikings? Where were the posts the last few years with people worried about the LB's Singletary was coaching? That doesn't mean he's a bad coach because talent and other factors (DC) come into play as well. But by no means does it give me data to say he's going to make stars out of our players more so than Reggie Herring will…and do it one game. Ray Lewis' qualifications? Hall of Fame career, coached zero players.

We've played one game. I don't disagree with the assessment's of our performance but I'll sit back and watch how we progress over the next few games before casting aside coaches. Although Briggs isn't on my "best of" list anymore.

I'll tell you what the problem is...talent....we have none at LB, other then an old Lance Briggs. Bostic, LOL, the next football instinct he shows will be the first. Shea...LOL...maybe he can do it but he's one of our best and was a bust at DE the past couple of years. Our talent at the LB position might be the worst in the league. All that said, it is still 1 game and at least some of these guys are young and have some athleticism so maybe they can be coached up.

PS: DJ Williams is old and slow too. Good instincts though.

I'll tell you what the problem is...talent....we have none at LB, other then an old Lance Briggs. Bostic, LOL, the next football instinct he shows will be the first. Shea...LOL...maybe he can do it but he's one of our best and was a bust at DE the past couple of years. Our talent at the LB position might be the worst in the league. All that said, it is still 1 game and at least some of these guys are young and have some athleticism so maybe they can be coached up.

PS: DJ Williams is old and slow too. Good instincts though.

Bostic has looked better and I didn't see any missed assignments from him. He is still more reactive than anticipating the plays, but hopefully that will come over time.

We've had one game to evaluate Reggie Herring and that's far from enough for me to make a judgment. Considering the guy who played the worst was the guy who has played in another system his entire career, Briggs, and has proven he does not want to lead this new group of LBs (prefers to open a restaurant) doesn't make me think Reggie is the issue. Doesn't say he is the solution either…there's just not enough data.

I really don't get how we would expect that our young LB crew would be assignment sound against all these varied NFL offense in just their first game? I get that there is training camp and some preseason snaps but in camp all they see is the same offense day after day. In preseason they see a generic version of what other teams will run. Urlacher didn't get it in his first season, most certainly not in his first 8 games. Neither did Briggs.

Great players often don't make great coaches, or even good ones. For one, most of the players you get to coach are of average ability. Great players often expect others to see and react to things as they used to see them and don't necessarily know how to break things down properly to get the most out of a player's talent. You can't simply walk into a room and say I demand excellence. It's not that easy. Richard Dent had zero impact on improving our pass rush years ago. Singletary, who I respect a great deal, made how many great LBs in his tenure with the Vikings? Where were the posts the last few years with people worried about the LB's Singletary was coaching? That doesn't mean he's a bad coach because talent and other factors (DC) come into play as well. But by no means does it give me data to say he's going to make stars out of our players more so than Reggie Herring will…and do it one game. Ray Lewis' qualifications? Hall of Fame career, coached zero players.

We've played one game. I don't disagree with the assessment's of our performance but I'll sit back and watch how we progress over the next few games before casting aside coaches. Although Briggs isn't on my "best of" list anymore.

The purpose of my post was not to criticize the new position coaches. If I'm Phil Emery I'm pulling a white sox move here and bring in Ray Lewis now since he is available even if I don't have an immediate role for the man. Ray Lewis' Leadership and knowledge of the game could only be a positive impact these young defensive line backers. Ray was a lot like Samuri Mike, one tough sob and a coach on the field as a player.

The purpose of my post was not to criticize the new position coaches. If I'm Phil Emery I'm pulling a white sox move here and bring in Ray Lewis now since he is available even if I don't have an immediate role for the man. Ray Lewis' Leadership and knowledge of the game could only be a positive impact these young defensive line backers. Ray was a lot like Samuri Mike, one tough sob and a coach on the field as a player.

Yea, me too. I was only talking about a guy to come in and watch film and maybe walk through and impart a sense of urgency to learn the system. Sometimes inspiration comes from within, sometimes a fresh face is useful.

Yea, me too. I was only talking about a guy to come in and watch film and maybe walk through and impart a sense of urgency to learn the system. Sometimes inspiration comes from within, sometimes a fresh face is useful.

I can understand some of that sentiment but there's a flip side to this because once you introduce another voice in a position of authority that now gives players someone to go to complain about what the coach wants done. Plus, if I'm the LB coach and after one game you decide you must bring in someone else to help me do my job then I'm very unhappy. I do believe Trestman has done quite a bit to open the door for former Bears players to visit and speak with the team. That was clear throughout the offseason and in camp. I imagine that door remains open when the time is right.

I agree with DBDB…it's more a lack of talent. Talent often used just for athletic ability but he also links it to instincts. Like he says, we have athleticism with the younger guys, we have instincts with the older guys, but we don't have anyone with both. I don't know that bringing in someone who is passionate like Ray Lewis will suddenly get guys to read their keys better than what they are being taught by Reggie. Ray was whining years ago when Baltimore changed the scheme on him and the Dline became more of a 1 gap style, similar to what we're running now. Is he really going to tell our guys the right keys in our scheme; a scheme he doesn't know the details of and didn't like when he had to run something similar to it? Or does he tell players behind the scenes that they'd like the scheme he ran in Baltimore better?

Guest TerraTor
That is why I say it is time for Singletary in as the DC. We need someone to light a fire, and he is good at doing that.

Couldn't agree more. Plus he'd bench guys for playing like assholes

I take back wanting Ray Lewis as a member of the Bears organization after hearing a Ray Lewis sound byte this morning on the Score, "Some things can be covered up and some thing can't be" when commenting on the Ray Rice situation. Not sure what Ray means by this comment but none the less it was very stupid in my opinion and changes how I perceived him to be based on his recent airing on "a Football Life Show."

You guys were right and I officially change my recommendation to Samurai Mike Singletary to be hired on immediately as the Defensive Quality Control / motivational coach for the Bears!

I take back wanting Ray Lewis as a member of the Bears organization after hearing a Ray Lewis sound byte this morning on the Score, "Some things can be covered up and some thing can't be" when commenting on the Ray Rice situation. Not sure what Ray means by this comment but none the less it was very stupid in my opinion and changes how I perceived him to be based on his recent airing on "a Football Life Show."

You guys were right and I officially change my recommendation to Samurai Mike Singletary to be hired on immediately as the Defensive Quality Control / motivational coach for the Bears!

Not sure I want Singletary either. I want the best candidate for the job - I don't care if they used to play for the team.

Peace :dabears