What if

jason

Guest TerraTor
I didn't see the exact picks, but if Williams, Cooper, and White are gone, does everyone here hate the idea of Scherff at 7?

I obviously like it. The right side of our OL would be absolutely nasty.

Absolutely hate. ... nothing against the guy, but this team needs impact talent. And by many experts..this dude is a guard. I cannot believe he's the best player available anyway. I'd sooner draft Parker at 7

Absolutely hate. ... nothing against the guy, but this team needs impact talent. And by many experts..this dude is a guard. I cannot believe he's the best player available anyway. I'd sooner draft Parker at 7

Agree. He may be a great guard, but is he so much better than a guy like Laken Tomlinson or AJ Cann that you can get in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round? I kind of doubt it.

Polian agrees with you and so do I for the most part. As a former OL I can be a little biased. I just want for one unit on our team to be dominant. We have a chance to get a difference maker at 7, so I'm back to WR or pass rusher.

Agree. He may be a great guard, but is he so much better than a guy like Laken Tomlinson or AJ Cann that you can get in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round? I kind of doubt it.

I read he is a all pro type for the next 8 years. As sure of a thing you will get in the draft. I would have no problem with it. Move Long to LT, Bushrod to RT where he will look better and Brandon in the RG spot.

If those players are gone. I am really thinking about Schreff. I keep reading about Long at sometime moving to Tackle. Why wait? Draft Schreff, move long to R or L tackle. Move Bushrod or keep him at LT. Groom one of the backups for center next year and I thing we would have a great OL with most of them under 27. Would be set for a five year run at least. And be ready for what ever happens at QB before it changes, making that transition much easier. I want a can't miss pick (yea I know) that will come in on day one and start and would be a cornerstone for the next ten years. Any of the other draft picks seem to have something that at seven just does not make me happy.

If we were going to reach for an Oline player this early it makes more sense to reach for Flowers who plays the position we need most (OT) as opposed to drafting a player who most likely will be an OG. Flowers was chosen at 9 by the Giants in this draft and has the athletic ability to develop into a starting LT down the road. LT might be a stretch for him but he should at least end up a very good RT. Same goes for Andrus Peat who has questions about his tenacity but he has all the physical tools needed to play LT. Either of those guys' size and strength next to Long make the right side of our line as dominant as it would be with Scherff/Long combination and we wouldn't have to make a position switch for Long which I prefer.

That aside, I prefer to go elsewhere if the top 2 WR are both gone. I'd take in no particular order:

Trae Waynes paired with Fuller in man coverage would make our safety issues less of a problem and free up the front 7 to rush the passer

Danny Shelton to anchor the Dline up the middle (more of a need than OG)

Beasley or Shane Ray (whoever they have rated higher) speed off the edge unlike anyone we have on the roster. I prefer Shane Ray the way he plays to the whistle.

Devante Parker would be a nice addition too but he's not in the same class as Cooper or White IMO, and I don't think the drop off in talent after him is that significant in Rd 2. His run-after-the-catch ability is outstanding.

I didn't see the exact picks, but if Williams, Cooper, and White are gone, does everyone here hate the idea of Scherff at 7?

I obviously like it. The right side of our OL would be absolutely nasty.

There is one scenario where Mariota, Winston, Williams, White, Cooper, and Fowler are all gone at #7. That would leave us with Beasley, Gregory, Ray, Dupree, Shelton, Scherff, Flowers, Peat, and Waynes as potential #7's. To me it would come down to Beasley, Scherff, and Shelton. To me though, that would be the perfect scenario to trade down in and pick up extra picks.

There is one scenario where Mariota, Winston, Williams, White, Cooper, and Fowler are all gone at #7. That would leave us with Beasley, Gregory, Ray, Dupree, Shelton, Scherff, Flowers, Peat, and Waynes as potential #7's. To me it would come down to Beasley, Scherff, and Shelton. To me though, that would be the perfect scenario to trade down in and pick up extra picks.

I agree, but if nobody is willing to trade, then what's the good move?

In my opinion, if the draft plays out that way, I would think it's either Peat, Scherff, or Shelton. I'd hate the third best WR at the 7 pick. That would be atrocious. And I'm just not a fan of getting an OLB edge rusher when there are so many potentials and unknowns on the roster.

Pace is doing a great job. Everything is so under the radar.

I think the original thought, NT Danny Shelton, makes a lot of sense for us at #7.

Yes we need to look at WR Kevin White, and if QB Marcus Mariotta drops then there might be a trade down for us, or perhaps our scouts believe Mariotta is the second coming.

But all that said, I can easily see Shelton being our pick. I think it's a high probability.

It was the first obvious choice, weeks ago, and nothing's changed. Pace & Fox have let the press get tired of their own story and rethink another. Great job.

I agree, but if nobody is willing to trade, then what's the good move?

In my opinion, if the draft plays out that way, I would think it's either Peat, Scherff, or Shelton. I'd hate the third best WR at the 7 pick. That would be atrocious. And I'm just not a fan of getting an OLB edge rusher when there are so many potentials and unknowns on the roster.

Given the circumstances, Scherff/Peat/Shelton would be the "safest" pick that would be acceptable.

It was brought up yesterday that no DL that ran a 5.8 forty has ever had success in the NFL.

Ya, because DL will have to run 40 yards to make plays.

Throwing out the 40 yard dash for DLineman is just silly. Look at his other measurables (I'm on a tablet and too lazy to go through the trouble of posting them) that correlate more to what he'll have to do and you'll see numbers that are comparable to the guy he gets compared to and that's Haloti Ngata.

I'm now more intrigued by adding Cooper/White over Shelton but still think Shelton will be a monster.

I'll take White/Cooper in the 1st and Ray in the 2nd. That would be nuts.

That would be pretty crazy, but I still don't know if I'm a fan of grabbing an OLB.

I'm holding out hope that Collins drops to us in the 2nd. That would be unreal. And unforgivable if passed on.

The last time an OG went 7th was 2013 and it was Jonathan Cooper and so far he has started 2 games. Chance Warmack went 10th and the 20th pick and best OL pick in the draft was Long. So the notion that you can find a OG or RT in later rounds was not in play in 2013 with DJ Fluker at 11 going in that 1st round as well as Eric Fisher number 1 overall, Luke Joeckel number2, Lane Johnson number 4 and Justin Pugh number 19. The most criticized and shocking pick is now the best OL taken in that draft to this date. That was supposedly a strong OL draft but, so far the fruits of that draft has a guy who was considered raw to be the best of those first round OL.

The last time an OG went 7th was 2013 and it was Jonathan Cooper and so far he has started 2 games. Chance Warmack went 10th and the 20th pick and best OL pick in the draft was Long. So the notion that you can find a OG or RT in later rounds was not in play in 2013 with DJ Fluker at 11 going in that 1st round as well as Eric Fisher number 1 overall, Luke Joeckel number2, Lane Johnson number 4 and Justin Pugh number 19. The most criticized and shocking pick is now the best OL taken in that draft to this date. That was supposedly a strong OL draft but, so far the fruits of that draft has a guy who was considered raw to be the best of those first round OL.

I think it would be more likely we draft Peat instead that high. A potential LT, a not consider pick, but possible.

I think it would be more likely we draft Peat instead that high. A potential LT, a not consider pick, but possible.

I'd be fine with that. That also gives the Bears flexibility.

BUSH - SLAUSS - WILLMO - LONG - PEAT

PEAT - SLAUSS - WILLMO - LONG - BUSHROD

BUSH - SLAUSS - WILLMO - ROOKIE - LONG

PEAT - SLAUSS - WILLMO - ROOKIE - LONG