• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Troy Vincent:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/...w-accomplished/

Troy Vincent to Brady: Accountable “no matter how accomplished”

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 11, 2015, 5:53 PM EDT

Vincent

Getty Images

In dropping the hammer on the Patriots and Tom Brady Monday afternoon, the league made it clear that Brady’s standing in the league and the history of the game wasn’t going to help his case.

Brady was suspended the first four games of the season for his role in tampering with footballs in last year’s AFC Championship Game.

In the letter from NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent, it was spelled out that Brady’s actions and inactions were taken seriously.

“With respect to your particular involvement, the report established that there is substantial and credible evidence to conclude you were at least generally aware of the actions of the Patriots’ employees involved in the deflation of the footballs and that it was unlikely that their actions were done without your knowledge,” Vincent wrote in a letter to Brady. “Moreover, the report documents your failure to cooperate fully and candidly with the investigation, including by refusing to produce any relevant electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.), despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information, and by providing testimony that the report concludes was not plausible and contradicted by other evidence.

“Your actions as set forth in the report clearly constitute conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the game of professional football. The integrity of the game is of paramount importance to everyone in our league, and requires unshakable commitment to fairness and compliance with the playing rules. Each player, no matter how accomplished and otherwise respected, has an obligation to comply with the rules and must be held accountable for his actions when those rules are violated and the public’s confidence in the game is called into question.”

There will be an immediate impact for the team, but the greater harm may come to Brady’s reputation, which was previously simply that he was one of the best players in the history of the game.

Harsher on the Pats than Brady himself.

My thoughts exactly. Brady got off easy compared to the team. The PFT article says first round PICKS as in plural. I assume they only have one pick in next year's first round but if they have two and they lost them both, that's very harsh.

But well deserved, to be certain.

In the release, the NFL said Patriots employees John Jastremski and James McNally have been indefinitely suspended without pay by the club, effective May 6. They aren't allowed to be reinstated without the NFL's permission. If they are reinstated, the NFL said "Jastremski is prohibited from having any role in the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs to be used in NFL games during the 2015 season. McNally is barred from serving as a locker room attendant for the game officials, or having any involvement with the preparation, supervision, or handling of footballs or any other equipment on game day."

The guys that suffered the most were the employees doing their jobs.

I did n't catch the multiple 1sts...

Sure to be appealed...

My thoughts exactly. Brady got off easy compared to the team. The PFT article says first round PICKS as in plural. I assume they only have one pick in next year's first round but if they have two and they lost them both, that's very harsh.

But well deserved, to be certain.

I did n't catch the multiple 1sts...

Sure to be appealed...

Looks like they only have 1 first rounder and everyone else is saying they lost two total picks. Just bad writing by PFT.

But, with Brady out for four games, the pick they're losing is bound to be higher than it would've been. That's good news!

The guys that suffered the most were the employees doing their jobs.

Did they lose their jobs? I haven't seen that anywhere. Fire them and it gets interesting because then they could sue and of course provide evidence they were just doing their job as they were instructed. I think New England knows they have to protect themselves from that risk.

Did they lose their jobs? I haven't seen that anywhere. Fire them and it gets interesting because then they could sue and of course provide evidence they were just doing their job as they were instructed. I think New England knows they have to protect themselves from that risk.

They are suspended without pay. Only the NFL can reinstate them, and if reinstated their are limits on what they can do. Basically they need to stay away from all game balls, which a big part of their job. To me it sounds like they need to find a new job. Below is where the quote in my first post came from.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-162121409.html

The draft picks penalty is a 1st 2016 and a 4th 2017.

I personally think they got off easy in comparison to what happened to the Saints with "Bounty Gate". In both cases the teams circumvented the rules but in one case a coach and several players got suspended for a year because he should have known what was going on in the locker room and in this case the coach a repeat offender of rules violations gets nothing and a team 1 million dollar fine is peanuts. There is no way BB doesn't know all that goes on with that team. He should have received something similar to Sean Payton.

They are suspended without pay. Only the NFL can reinstate them, and if reinstated their are limits on what they can do. Basically they need to stay away from all game balls, which a big part of their job. To me it sounds like they need to find a new job. Below is where the quote in my first post came from.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-162121409.html

Yes, they are taking the fall in a big way.

The draft picks penalty is a 1st 2016 and a 4th 2017.

I personally think they got off easy in comparison to what happened to the Saints with "Bounty Gate". In both cases the teams circumvented the rules but in one case a coach and several players got suspended for a year because he should have known what was going on in the locker room and in this case the coach a repeat offender of rules violations gets nothing and a team 1 million dollar fine is peanuts. There is no way BB doesn't know all that goes on with that team. He should have received something similar to Sean Payton.

i completely agree with you. in my estimation:

the pats should NOT be eligible for any playoff or superbowl games for the entire 2015 season. just like college ball. if they cheat and are caught they can't go to a bowl game.

i would have targeted a lifetime suspension for billicek. a year suspension would and SHOULD be the absolute minimum he receives.

and nothing for the owner of this franchise? the guy who DEMANDED an apology? in my estimation this is at LEAST the second time cheese boy kraft's cash cow patriots have cheated since he owned them to win a freaking superbowl. no warning from the NFL commish? not even a peep from god - ell? he should be fined millions and WARNED that any reasonably serious rule violations in the future result in his franchise being taken away from him and he is banned for LIFE.

losing a first round pick? it's the freaking 32 pick!! take away 2 firsts in a row and see how that flies.

finally... if money is your driving force i would trade away the wrist slap fines for cheating any day of the week for the hard cash i would receive by winning a SB.

fining the team a million dollars is absolutely nothing. especially when you consider the massive amounts of money a team gets when they play in and/or WIN a superbowl. it's spit in a hurricane.

consider just the amounts the players receive for playing in a superbowl (not to mention endorcements) and then consider the amount LOST by players who didn't cheat and never made it there this past season possibly due to the pats cheating. these are guys that had the money stolen from them by the patriot's organization. yet NFL corporate does nothing of substance to the commish's camping buddy kraft.

EDIT: brady should have been suspended for a full year without pay and had all stats for the 2014 season removed from the record books.

the pats should NOT be eligible for any playoff or superbowl games for the entire 2015 season. just like college ball. if they cheat and are caught they can't go to a bowl game.

i would have targeted a lifetime suspension for billicek. a year suspension would and SHOULD be the absolute minimum he receives.

and nothing for the owner of this franchise? the guy who DEMANDED an apology? in my estimation this is at LEAST the second time cheese boy kraft's cash cow patriots have cheated since he owned them to win a freaking superbowl. no warning from the NFL commish? not even a peep from god - ell? he should be fined millions and WARNED that any reasonably serious rule violations in the future result in his franchise being taken away from him and he is banned for LIFE.

losing a first round pick? it's the freaking 32 pick!! take away 2 firsts in a row and see how that flies.

finally... if money is your driving force i would trade away the wrist slap fines for cheating any day of the week for the hard cash i would receive by winning a SB.

fining the team a million dollars is absolutely nothing. especially when you consider the massive amounts of money a team gets when they play in and/or WIN a superbowl. it's spit in a hurricane.

consider just the amounts the players receive for playing in a superbowl (not to mention endorcements) and then consider the amount LOST by players who didn't cheat and never made it there this past season possibly due to the pats cheating. these are guys that had the money stolen from them by the patriot's organization. yet NFL corporate does nothing of substance to the commish's camping buddy kraft.

EDIT: brady should have been suspended for a full year without pay and had all stats for the 2014 season removed from the record books.

If this was the Bears would you want such stiff penalty?

Robert Kraft is not from the Kraft Mac N Cheese Family.... just thought you may want to know that.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...-233900364.html

Here is an article from yahoo that has an interesting take on it.

I disagree with the article. The punishments are inline with what they can prove.

The staff was involved, so I think the organization is responsible. The two guys they could prove were involved in the event were severely punished by being suspended without pay. I think more than a loss of picks would have been involved if this could have been linked directly to Belicheck.

Brady was giving a punishment in line with Roethlisberger. I'm not comparing rape and deflating balls. I'm comparing the fact that while there is not definitive evidence, the commish pretty much knows their was wrong doing. In such dished out 4 game suspensions. I think if there was direct evidence found linking Brady, he would have likely been given a much larger suspension.

If the Bears were to have been proven, or even alleged, to have cheated in a few instances then yes I for one would be ok with a similar penalty. IF Cutler was asked about his implication in the matter and first denied any wrongdoing then, through the course of the investigation, shown to have not been cooperative in the investigation I would also be ok with a similar penalty for him individually. The fact that it's New England has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether they are being judged differently than another team would or should. And quite frankly to raise that as a topic for that contention is pathetic.

If the Bears were to have been proven, or even alleged, to have cheated in a few instances then yes I for one would be ok with a similar penalty.

IF Cutler was asked about his implication in the matter and first denied any wrongdoing then, through the course of the investigation, shown to have not been cooperative in the investigation I would also be ok with a similar penalty for him individually.

The fact that it's New England has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether they are being judged differently than another team would or should.

And quite frankly to raise that as a topic for that contention is pathetic.

Pathetic????? That's funny..... 99.9% of Pats fans are saying the penalty is too harsh and you think me asking this is Pathetic, you are a real gem!!!!

Fact is it sounds like Brady was paying (signed items, etc.) for those chumps to do his dirty work with the balls. That's enough for me to say he's got to get some sort of penalty. He paid someone else to break rules. Talk about integrity of the game.

The team deserves a penalty because there's clearly been an orchestrated effort by the Pats to keep evidence away from the league. Despite that, the league found enough evidence to find them guilty. Therefore, because they're guilty and because they're trying to cover it up, they should get punished.

Not sure if the penalty was harsh enough, not sure if it's too harsh. That's why the league gives that discretion to a commissioner. What I do know is that both sides will have their "day in court" because the Pats aren't going to let this go without a fight.

Dude. Did Tom Brady and the Pats locker room bang your girl? What you propose is insane for some imperceptibly deflated balls that didn't provide any substantial benefit. Lifetime? That's complete nonsense, and you have something else on this issue.

Pathetic????? That's funny..... 99.9% of Pats fans are saying the penalty is too harsh and you think me asking this is Pathetic, you are a real gem!!!!

Well of course all the fans are upset. I would be too if how I have to win games is cheat and was caught doing it. Even the Raiders haven't stooped this low in a long time and they invented the game of questionable play..

Yes I think the notion that if "our" team was the one instead in the spotlight i (or anyone) would excuse it is sad to suggest. As if I was going to say 'yeah the Bears cheated, so what?' I'd be embarrassed as a fan, not offering up excuses or distractions.