Brady 4 games, next yr's 1st, $1M fine, & 2017's 4th

madlithuanian

I think what will happen is they will follow the Dallas model from last season. That being take the decision making out or Cutler's hands and put it into designed plays. Was reading recently where Cutler said some of the offensive game planning under Gase is "Martz-ist" meaning he won't have as much control as he once did. Which I think will be a good thing for the team and Cutler.

Gase is a disciple, non directly,of Martz's system from what I read when he was signed, and Martz is big on him calling him one of the best offensive minds in the league. However, the Dallas model gets quoted way too much. Statistically, Romo has been a top QB most of his years in the league most of his career. Cutler hasn't. Having Murray run like that helped, but statiscally Romo isn't far off from before.

Romo's lowest QB rating was 90.5, highest 113.2, Cutler's lowest was 76.8 and highest was 89.2. Romo is on a different level.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gase is a disciple, non directly,of Martz's system from what I read when he was signed, and Martz is big on him calling him one of the best offensive minds in the league. However, the Dallas model gets quoted way too much. Statistically, Romo has been a top QB most of his years in the league most of his career. Cutler hasn't. Having Murray run like that helped, but statiscally Romo isn't far off from before.

Romo's lowest QB rating was 90.5, highest 113.2, Cutler's lowest was 76.8 and highest was 89.2. Romo is on a different level.

I'm ok with calling it something else. Any preference to Ravens model? Seahawks model? Giants model? Those teams have all won with a defense-first model followed by a strong running game and a good not great QB. I don't think anyone is fixated on a name per se it's just that is the most recent example of a team using the run first model and focusing on that via the draft to be consistently successful on offense. Had Dallas a defense somewhat close to any of the three teams listed, i.e. ranked #10, they likely would have won the Superbowl. Seattle was one play away from doing so.

Yes but the parallels are hard to resist. Both QBs have essentially been mediocre at best (Romo more so than Cutler), both have gotten ludicrous amount of money for that relatively poor play and both had complimentary crap defenses as of late. The fact that Romo appeared to do better with less control (passing) on offense, better running game and improved oline play encourages me to think Cutler could follow that same path as Gase and company construct that similar model.

I think what will happen is they will follow the Dallas model from last season. That being take the decision making out or Cutler's hands and put it into designed plays. Was reading recently where Cutler said some of the offensive game planning under Gase is "Martz-ist" meaning he won't have as much control as he once did. Which I think will be a good thing for the team and Cutler.

Here is the article about the Martzist comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post...h-qb-jay-cutler

No where in there does it imply that Cutler will have less control. I think they are implying some of the same concepts Martz ran Gase will run. It has been stated that Gase has pulled a little from each guy he has worked with.

At this point in his coaching career Gase will have his own scheme. I hope they do take a page out of what Dallas did last year, run the shit out of the ball. The only difference is Dallas spent 3 first round draft picks the past 3 years beefing up the oline.

The Bears brought in Long and now a 3rd round center, so they have beefed up the oline the big question marks will the oline unit be better than last year. The Bears have Forte, hopefully the oline can give him some running lanes.

Here is the article about the Martzist comment

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago-bears/post...h-qb-jay-cutler

No where in there does it imply that Cutler will have less control. I think they are implying some of the same concepts Martz ran Gase will run. It has been stated that Gase has pulled a little from each guy he has worked with.

Maybe not in your article but here it does:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000049...w-bears-offense

I'll admit that neither Cutler or Gase said it but in the article it clearly suggests: "Rather it was a call back to the strict limitations that offense put on the quarterback, taking some of the decision-making out of the process." and further elaborating with: "Since decision-making has been one of Cutler's biggest weaknesses, that could be a good thing."

And there are other articles that similarly cite this. And since you and I appear to agree that this should be a good thing for Cutler especially, not sure why you'd care to invalidate that point.

I'll admit that neither Cutler or Gase said it but in the article it clearly suggests: "Rather it was a call back to the strict limitations that offense put on the quarterback, taking some of the decision-making out of the process." and further elaborating with: "Since decision-making has been one of Cutler's biggest weaknesses, that could be a good thing."

And there are other articles that similarly cite this. And since you and I appear to agree that this should be a good thing for Cutler especially, not sure why you'd care to invalidate that point.

I think what's going to happen is Cutler will be put in a better position to not fail. I think with running more and doing things like moving the pocket, he will be less prone to make mistakes. I would say something like 3800 yards 28 tds and 13 interceptions would put him in to more of a better light. I dont care who we have as long as we become successful.

I think what's going to happen is Cutler will be put in a better position to not fail. I think with running more and doing things like moving the pocket, he will be less prone to make mistakes. I would say something like 3800 yards 28 tds and 13 interceptions would put him in to more of a better light. I dont care who we have as long as we become successful.

I'd say I expect a few hundred more yards and a few more picks than you've got there. It is Jay, afterall. But generally this would be enough to keep him around and perhaps even enough to get us into playoff contention, depending on how far the D comes this year and how healthy we stay, of course.

Just pointing out that its not being said by Gase. The people suggesting this are reporters. Martz ran his own system, Gase has taken pieces from it but has also taken pieces from other systems. I'm pretty sure Gase has studied under the West Coast, Martz (Air Coryell) and one other one. After spend the last three years with Peyton Im sure he has picked up new things as well. Is Cutler Manning, NO but I am hoping to see a well put together game plan and scheme that puts everyone in the best position to win.

If Gase thinks that means limiting Cutlers decision making duties, then great.

Just pointing out that its not being said by Gase. The people suggesting this are reporters. Martz ran his own system, Gase has taken pieces from it but has also taken pieces from other systems. I'm pretty sure Gase has studied under the West Coast, Martz (Air Coryell) and one other one. After spend the last three years with Peyton Im sure he has picked up new things as well. Is Cutler Manning, NO but I am hoping to see a well put together game plan and scheme that puts everyone in the best position to win.

If Gase thinks that means limiting Cutlers decision making duties, then great.

I think with Cutler, it's more like Russian roulette for a OC. He's most likely going to throw to his first read, so you have to call a play that that guy will get open. Gases's offense is hard to gauge as he basically had a OC in his QB in Denver. I really didn't understand the interest in him as an HC last year. hopefully he can prove he is soething special.

Interesting thing for Romo is that he has had Jason Garrett as either his OC or HC and Jason Witten both since 2007. He has also had a least Dez Bryant, Miles Austin, or TO to compliment Witten every season. He has been in a very comfortable situation.

Asking Bears' fans if they want Cutler suspended so he can't play for a season? Even without a cheating scandal you'll still get a 50/50 response on that one.

Some would probably argue that a 4 game suspension for Cutler might actually help the Bears LOL