Kyle Long at RT

ASHKUM BEAR

He's played the position at Oregon so I don't worry too much about him not getting enough reps.

I just worry more about Ducasse or whoever ends up at guard.

It seems to be a double edged sword. Moving Long to OT should help the passing game but hurt the running game. Staying pat should do the opposite.

I worry more about the pressure up the middle with Ducasse who has some of the same traits as Leno and Mills in that he gets overextended and/or out of position too often. I saw on one play against the Bengals where Ducasse went out to run block and the defender just side stepped him and ran into the backfield and hit the RB. Like SCS stated the loss to our inside running game will also be significant. Not a good spot to be in right now. FWIW last year's super sub Ola has fallen by the wayside this offseason. I don't know if that means Ducasse is better than him or he's just worse than he was last year.

I know Leno struggles at times with his technique but at least when he gets it right he is just fine which is more often than not. While he might not be ready yet the arrow might be pointing up on him. Mills on the other hand seems to either get pushed around or DEs just flat out run around him play after play after play. As far as backup OGs Grasu doesn't have the strength to succeed at OG. Neither does Montgomery but most likely we're keeping both OC on the active roster.

Expect to hear rumors about the Bears scanning the waiver wire this weekend and next for Oline help, or possibly making a trade. If we can find someone more serviceable at OG than Ducasse then keeping Long at RT will give us a decent combination.

I hate this for more than one reason. It stinks when you need to take an all pro player and move them to a position they are unproven at. It's also, late into camp. If you are going to make this move, give him and his replacement a chance to succeed.

How many drafts go by and we just add enough OL help to feel we are not destitute.

I think we will draft heavy offensive line and defensive backs next offseason if that helps. A lot will depend on the performance of Jay Cutler. It does not matter what QB you put behind center if he does not have protection, so they better get a line established with decent depth behind it.

I think we will draft heavy offensive line and defensive backs next offseason if that helps. A lot will depend on the performance of Jay Cutler. It does not matter what QB you put behind center if he does not have protection, so they better get a line established with decent depth behind it.

Preach. :notworthy

Preach. :notworthy

Well yeah, but we've been saying that for a long long time. I'll believe it when I see them do it.

With that said, I understand using a 4th round pick on RB this past draft. With Forte up there in years, last year of his contract and the talk that he could hold out (at the time) I see the logic of the pick. And I think they got a steal.

Well yeah, but we've been saying that for a long long time. I'll believe it when I see them do it.

With that said, I understand using a 4th round pick on RB this past draft. With Forte up there in years, last year of his contract and the talk that he could hold out (at the time) I see the logic of the pick. And I think they got a steal.

Coming into this year the team had two former probowlers (Bushrod and Long), Slauson (who is no slouch) and a bevy of unproven youngsters (Ola, Leno and Grasu to name a few) that I don't think OLine was much a concern. Hell just two years ago we had a pretty stellar line who played pretty much the whole season together. Last year things unraveled a little where injures started to take their toll. Fast forward to this year and they bring in revered Oline Coach Dave Magazu and return 4 of the 5 starters from two years ago. Who knew that things would look even messier going into the regular season? What with Mills suddenly forgetting how to play tackle, Slauson just recently diagnosed with a concussion and Leno not living up to his potential. I don't see how drafting another two-three more oline would have helped. They did that in the third round with Grasu. And as Cracker pointed out the reasons, they had to entertain other options at the skill positions.

Coming into this year the team had two former probowlers (Bushrod and Long), Slauson (who is no slouch) and a bevy of unproven youngsters (Ola, Leno and Grasu to name a few) that I don't think OLine was much a concern. Hell just two years ago we had a pretty stellar line who played pretty much the whole season together. Last year things unraveled a little where injures started to take their toll. Fast forward to this year and they bring in revered Oline Coach Dave Magazu and return 4 of the 5 starters from two years ago. Who knew that things would look even messier going into the regular season? What with Mills suddenly forgetting how to play tackle, Slauson just recently diagnosed with a concussion and Leno not living up to his potential. I don't see how drafting another two-three more oline would have helped. They did that in the third round with Grasu. And as Cracker pointed out the reasons, they had to entertain other options at the skill positions.

Where did you see the news about Slauson having a concussion? I can't find any reports on that. Are you confusing Clausen with Slauson?

Is it easier to find a serviceable OG or OT?

My answer would be OG. I have faith that Long will be a PB'er at either OT or OG.......Maybe a decent OG that is older and getting paid a little too much will get cut.

I read an article naming OG Andy Levitre as a guy that could get cut due to his 6.5 million salary this year.

Where did you see the news about Slauson having a concussion? I can't find any reports on that. Are you confusing Clausen with Slauson?

Heh...well whattyaknow? I heard some live broadcast this morning that specifically said "Slauson" but you're right, it was Clausen. (That's two in two years for him - not far behind Cutler and his 5 or 6(?)). Of course its possible having been concussed a few times in my life that I misunderstood what I heard...or thought I heard. :banghead

Mills was bad last year. Everyone knew it. All the prospects were garbage at best, hot garbage at worst. And several pointed to Bushrod's deficiencies last year. Picking a fourth rounder, particularly one of those I mentioned, all have great potential, would have been an insurance policy. One that is needed right now.

Yeah, reminded me of "The Blindside". Crazy to think we could've drafted him instead of Tayo in the 6th.

As an aside, according to another article I was reading said G Andy Levitre (currently of the Titans) could become available after this last preseason game. Tennessee paid him big bucks a few years ago and he currently is on the second string.

As an aside, according to another article I was reading said G Andy Levitre (currently of the Titans) could become available after this last preseason game. Tennessee paid him big bucks a few years ago and he currently is on the second string.

I guess he hasn't performed up to the 6.5 mil a year price tag..... doesn't mean he wouldn't play up to a lesser contract.....Would have to think he would be better than our OG if Long moved to RT.

Why not, the dude was solid in Buffalo. Sometimes the blocking scheme doesn't fit the skill set of the player.

Why not, the dude was solid in Buffalo. Sometimes the blocking scheme doesn't fit the skill set of the player.

Long needs to move to T, this year the right side and next year the LT position. Its easier to find OGs than OTs. I heard Tom Thayer talk about going to the left side and he said that would need a offseason to make that change. Long will adapt and we will pick up some waivered players and after our brutal start we will be more competitive going forward. It will take 2 to 3 years to become a good team, if we have the right people in place to get us there. Time will tell.