2016 Forecast: TE Position

jason

There are many reasons why the Bears could go either way on the TE issue, but I believe getting rid of Bennett makes the most sense for a few reasons.

1. He has a $6M+ cap hit next year. He'll want a contract extension/raise, again, and Miller will require much less money. That $6M+ is way more than Bennett's worth, especially considering the following:

2. He appears to be a character concern. He's one of those odd players who wants to do way more stuff than just football, similar to one of the main anti-Marshall comments. The fact that he skipped the entire voluntary offseason program doesn't gain support from the coaching staff either.

3. Statistically, Miller did better this year. In weeks 1-9, Bennett was the primary focus TE. In weeks 10, 11, & 13 they shared focus. In weeks 12 & 14-16 it was Miller time. Comparing Bennett's weeks and Miller's weeks head-to-head, Miller rises above in reception percentage as well as yards. And in the weeks they shared time, Miller wins both categories again.

**Bennett Wks - TGT 8.38, Catch 5.63, Yds 47.63

**Shared Wks - Bennett (TGT 4.33, Catch 2.67, Yds 19.33)/Miller (TGT 4, Catch 3, Yds 53.33)

**Miller Wks - TGT 6.75, Catch 5, Yds 55.25

4. Miller was healthier this year.

5. Cutler has less INTs when Miller is the TE. This is something that has been discussed before, about the 50/50 balls that always seem to happen when Cutler throws the Bennett, but the INTs support that concept (at least on a per game average basis). In Bennett games (1-9) Cutler averaged 0.71 INTs per game. In the shared games (10,11,13) Cutler averaged 0.67 INTs per game. But in the other games, the Miller games, Cutler's INTs per game dropped to 0.25. Not to mention the fact that Miller is simply a more reliable receiver, catching 74% of the balls thrown his way to Bennett's 66%.

All things considered, it makes sense to cut Bennett, save the cap hit, use the money on free agents the Bears actually need, and draft a backup to Miller in the middle rounds. A few good looking prospects that fit the mold are Austin Hooper from Stanford, Tyler Higbee from Western Kentucky, and Jake McGee from Florida.

All things considered, it makes sense to cut Bennett, save the cap hit, use the money on free agents the Bears actually need, and draft a backup to Miller in the middle rounds. A few good looking prospects that fit the mold are Austin Hooper from Stanford, Tyler Higbee from Western Kentucky, and Jake McGee from Florida.

I want him gone but i would trade him if possible even if it is for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Peace :dabears

How do you factor / adjust for the fact that when Bennett was playing, often times, he was the only weapon on the field (Jeffrey, etc were out). That risk also was their for Miller a bit as well, but teams were far more focused on Bennett early in the season than they ever were on Miller. They were all over him, especially when early in the season the Bears had a total cast of unknowns at wideout.

If the Bears are moving Bennett, they need to get a starter elsewhere (or someone like Allen from the Colts who has the talent to be a starter). I have said it a million times, but I am not okay with the Bears handing Miller a starting position. I am absolutely on board with resigning Miller though and having a part of this offense.

I want him gone but i would trade him if possible even if it is for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Peace :dabears

Agree, but I didn't include it because I didn't think it was realistic. Would someone give up a late round pick for a potential head-case TE who was hurt last year, outperformed by a backup, on a $6M contract, and likely to be asking for a newer/bigger contract? I don't think so, but getting a 6th or 7th would be great.

I'm meh on Miller being the guy. He's not really an inline TE as he doesn't block all that well, so that could be a problem for a team looking to run the ball a lot. Having him out there on running plays could prove to be an issue, and they could be forced to either take him out. That coupled with injury concerns has me hesitant.

Something tells my Bennett will be gone, Miler will be here, and we will have some other veteran here in FA...and potentially a draft pick. This regime likes moving on from drama...

I'm meh on Miller being the guy. He's not really an inline TE as he doesn't block all that well, so that could be a problem for a team looking to run the ball a lot. Having him out there on running plays could prove to be an issue, and they could be forced to either take him out. That coupled with injury concerns has me hesitant.

I can't see any scenario where the Bears just release Bennett outright without compensation. If they lose him as a free agent after 2016, they would more than likely get a comp pick (5th-6th), so I don't think they are just going to cut and run. Owen Daniels compensation was a 6th rounder.

With so much cap space already, I don't see his salary being an issue this year.

Right now I see the TE position as a position of strength (Bennett and Miller), so I would do one of the following with Bennett before releasing him this offseason:

1. Trade for a 5th or 6th rounder this offseason

2. Trade before deadline for 5th or 6th rounder

3. Play out 2016 season on current contract and enter free agency (get comp pick)

I can't see any scenario where the Bears just release Bennett outright without compensation. If they lose him as a free agent after 2016, they would more than likely get a comp pick Ih-6th), so I don't think they are just going to cut and run. Owen Daniels compensation was a 6th rounder.

With so much cap space already, I don't see his salary being an issue this year.

Right now I see the TE position as a position of strength (Bennett and Miller), so I would do one of the following with Bennett before releasing him this offseason:

1. Trade for a 5th or 6th rounder this offseason

2. Trade before deadline for 5th or 6th rounder

3. Play out 2016 season on current contract and enter free agency (get comp pick)

If he is a bad influence in the locker room, I can see trying to trade him. He had an off year with injury and added blocking assignments, which will effect his numbers. Build a better oline, he gets more targets, and his performance improves. Lets see how this team improves before we push away a good player and create a un-timed hole/need.

If he is a bad influence in the locker room, I can see trying to trade him. He had an off year with injury and added blocking assignments, which will effect his numbers. Build a better oline, he gets more targets, and his performance improves. Lets see how this team improves before we push away a good player and create a un-timed hole/need.

I agree with you, i dont think he us a trouble maker, just quirky and selfish (wants more money)with everybody hurt, he was double teamed all the time with everyone hurt. He is a good blocker and cTchs the ball well. He has a contract if he goes along with the team concept, it would be dumb to get rid of him . Thjs is the first year miller has been relatively healthy, you cant trust his health issues

I agree with you, i dont think he us a trouble maker, just quirky and selfish (wants more money)with everybody hurt, he was double teamed all the time with everyone hurt. He is a good blocker and cTchs the ball well. He has a contract if he goes along with the team concept, it would be dumb to get rid of him . Thjs is the first year miller has been relatively healthy, you cant trust his health issues

Having Bennett and a healthy Miller would be a boost. I think Khari Lee can develop, but he needs another year as we had to play him to save our investment and put him on active roster. If the Bears can get by next season and let MB sign somewhere as a free agent, then we also get added compensation points which could land us a 5th rd pick. Let him sit if he holds out, but don't lose those potential picks unless a trade with more value comes.

I'd trade Bennett for a decent draft pick or starting caliber position of need of need. Then the team could have Rob Housler as the blocking TE and Miller as the receiving TE. Also, being in another free agent or draft a TE for depth.

They would have to get a good deal to part with a dual TE. He can fill the blocking and recieving role. Finish his deal out anf let him walk.

• 2 weeks later...
Miller reportedly is looking to break some bank. Sounds like he is looking in the 5M range. Is that acceptable for a guy who hasn't strung together healthy seasons? Would spending 11+ on two TE's be a wise decision if they keep Marty and re-sign Miller?

If he's firm on that then no way Pace signs him. But it does depend on how much he wants up front too. If it were a straight $5mil/yr with zero bonus, that's still too rich for me as I'm guessing his deal should be in the $2-3mil/yr range, but I'd go on the high side if there's no bonus. Given his history, I would think he'd be all about the guaranteed money.

Miller reportedly is looking to break some bank. Sounds like he is looking in the 5M range. Is that acceptable for a guy who hasn't strung together healthy seasons? Would spending 11+ on two TE's be a wise decision if they keep Marty and re-sign Miller?

It would have to be laced with incentives. He can't be trusted to stay on the field.

We can pretty much close this thread. I was the driver of the "Trade Bennett & Start Miller"-train, and even I have jumped off the bus. He's crazy if he thinks he deserves $5M a year after the first healthy season of his career, in which he wasn't even the full time starter the entire year.

We can pretty much close this thread. I was the driver of the "Trade Bennett & Start Miller"-train, and even I have jumped off the bus. He's crazy if he thinks he deserves $5M a year after the first healthy season of his career, in which he wasn't even the full time starter the entire year.

He seen that Travis Kelce signed a 5 year 46 million deal and thought "I am worth at least half of that!?" He can look for that on the market, maybe he will be back once he sees his value.