Bears in on Akiem Hicks

DABEARSDABOMB

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 31s32 seconds ago

Outside of Trevathan, the biggest name tied to the #Bears looks to be DL Akiem Hicks. Pace has history & will come much cheaper than Jackson.

I like this route better than 15 a year for Jackson. Use the money saved to upgrade multiple positions.

Akiem Hicks - DL - Patriots

Patrick Finley of the Chicago Sun-Times hears the Bears are "working toward a possible face-to-face meeting" with free agent DT Akiem Hicks.

That meeting could happen as early as Thursday. ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss predicted the Bears would make a play for Hicks, who already knows GM Ryan Pace from their time together in New Orleans. Hicks earned PFF's 14th-highest DT grade out of 70 qualifiers last year while backing up Malcolm Brown and Alan Branch.

Soo....to play devil's advocate. What is the draw for Hicks? I don't quite understand all the hype...am I missing something? When in New Orleans he played with Junior Galette and Cam Jordan and was credited with a fair number of tackles and 4.5 sacks his second year. But last year went to the Pats and was relegated to a back up role until injuries put him in the starting lineup. Now, NE doesn't seem interested any more.

Makes me want to ask why? Is he a value FA or are we just excited about him because he once played for NE? I know part of the draw for him is that Pace is 'familar' with him. But from what I've read (mostly NO fans of the past) weren't all that enamored with him.

IMO, if we're simply looking for a value FA choice for DT we should consider someone like Terrance Knighton. Someone who is familiar with Fox's defensive scheme and has proven effective while doing it.

Pats had a lot of talent on that line. Ninkovich, Chandler Jones, Alan Branch, Malcolm Brown who was their 1R pick last year, Dom Easily who was their 1st round pick the year before, and Jabaal Sheared who had 22 sacks his 1st 3 years.

He would be a McPhee-esque type addition in the sense that he was pretty solid in a limited role.

Soo....to play devil's advocate. What is the draw for Hicks? I don't quite understand all the hype...am I missing something? When in New Orleans he played with Junior Galette and Cam Jordan and was credited with a fair number of tackles and 4.5 sacks his second year. But last year went to the Pats and was relegated to a back up role until injuries put him in the starting lineup. Now, NE doesn't seem interested any more.

Makes me want to ask why? Is he a value FA or are we just excited about him because he once played for NE? I know part of the draw for him is that Pace is 'familar' with him. But from what I've read (mostly NO fans of the past) weren't all that enamored with him.

IMO, if we're simply looking for a value FA choice for DT we should consider someone like Terrance Knighton. Someone who is familiar with Fox's defensive scheme and has proven effective while doing it.

The deal is he is entering his prime, scheme fit, and will not be very expensive. Being he did not sign with anyone yesterday tells me he expected more money and didnt get it. Now he is trying to find the best fit. I would say he signs for 3 year/9 mil area with like 3 mil guaranteed . He is reasonable with upside and if he doesnt pan out can get out of it in one or two years.

In NE, they already have starters, so they are not going to pay him starter money as a rotational guy. That doesn't mean he is a backup just because that is where NE used him. To me, this just reminds me of McPhee. He was a rotational guy on a deep position on a great defense. They couldn't pay him starter money, but we could. Hicks is in a very similar situation.

In NE, they already have starters, so they are not going to pay him starter money as a rotational guy. That doesn't mean he is a backup just because that is where NE used him. To me, this just reminds me of McPhee. He was a rotational guy on a deep position on a great defense. They couldn't pay him starter money, but we could. Hicks is in a very similar situation.

Or Pace is bound and determined to prove that he was right about Hicks in NO. Given he came from a relative unknown school in Canada. (I read the story why he ended up there, no fault of his - should have been at LSU). Anyhow...

Perhaps I'm slanted to having someone like Trevathan who has starting experience in a Fox led team versus a guy who has no starting experience. I understand the "similarities" you and others are trying to make between he and McPhee but still am not convinced.

After its all said and done if he's signed, great. If not I won't be heartbroken.

The Bears arent going for high priced FA to put a near super bowl team over the top, they are going for soild mid priced guys to fill holes so that we can actually pick best player available in the draft. Thats how you build a team long term. Once we get good, then we can add those special FA pieces to take you over the top.

These guys are doing it right, great to see.

Or Pace is bound and determined to prove that he was right about Hicks in NO. Given he came from a relative unknown school in Canada. (I read the story why he ended up there, no fault of his - should have been at LSU). Anyhow...

Perhaps I'm slanted to having someone like Trevathan who has starting experience in a Fox led team versus a guy who has no starting experience. I understand the "similarities" you and others are trying to make between he and McPhee but still am not convinced.

After its all said and done if he's signed, great. If not I won't be heartbroken.

Hicks has starting exoerience, and played really well.

@JasonLaCanfora

Jets working out a contract with DL Jarvis Jenkins. Lions working to secure DL Akiem Hicks. Both deals likely to get done

Aaron Leming ‏@AaronLemingNFL 48s48 seconds ago

Was told report of Akiem Hicks to the #Lions may not be as "close" as has been reported. Maybe worth a night's wait for #Bears fans.

For whatever reason I can't seem to get his Twitter name in there, but these are all tweets from Long.

I'm gonna put Akiem Hicks Twitter handle right here: @The_Dream99 ...... @ChicagoBears fans... You know what to do...

I would love to see pernell McPhee and @The_Dream99 beating heads on that defensive line!

I've played against @The_Dream99 two times and I don't want to play against him again. How does that happen??

For whatever reason I can't seem to get his Twitter name in there, but these are all tweets from Long.

I'm gonna put Akiem Hicks Twitter handle right here: @The_Dream99 ...... @ChicagoBears fans... You know what to do...

I would love to see pernell McPhee and @The_Dream99 beating heads on that defensive line!

I've played against @The_Dream99 two times and I don't want to play against him again. How does that happen??

Seen that earlier and thought he had the inside scoop. Long deserves a recruiting bonus if they get Hicks.