So Much Competition

dawhizz

Big draft class is going to mean lots of competition and some decent players losing their jobs. QB should be set with Cutler/Hoyer/Fales, but it's chaos almost everywhere else:

RB: I'd be shocked if we don't keep Langford/Howard/Carey/Rodgers. Sorry Senorise.

TE: Beyond Zach Miller you have veterans who haven't shown much (Housler, Sinclair, Lee) who should be pushed by Braunecker.

WR: Jeffery, White, and Royal are the only locks, IMO. Thompson probably has an edge with special teams value but Braverman could challenge that. Will be a big camp for Wilson, Bellamy, and Meredith and I could see them all losing their jobs if a decent WR is cut loose from another team.

OL: I don't know what to make of the Whitehair pick, because we are now stacked at C/G, but thin at T. Slauson seems like a trade candidate. I really hope we don't move Long to LT. I have no idea who starts at OT if someone gets hurt - hopefully Tayo has been studying this offseason.

DL: Some of the past regime's draft picks might not survive. Ferguson seems like a good fit in the 3-4 and might even start over Bullard, but Washington and Sutton might be on the outside looking in.

LB: I doubt Houston and Young make this team and Christian Jones has gone from projected high pick to UDFA to future starter to barely useful. I liked what Timu and Anderson did last year, I'm not sure they both survive the Kwiatkoski pick (although is it crazy for me to think that Kwiatkoski could start at OLB with Floyd as the pass-rusher?).

CB: This actually seems pretty set to me. Porter/Fuller/Callahan/Hall/McManis, though the UDFAs Calhoun and Peterson might put up a fight.

S: Will be an absolute dog fight behind Amos. You have young guys on the roster who showed some flashed in Hurst, Jones-Quartay and Prosinski, a young guy they liked till he got hurt in Jefferson, two draft picks in Bush and Houston-Carson, and the veteran in Rolle. That's not even mentioning Bolden, who I assume makes the roster as a return man, again, unless Braverman shows some value there.

I think there could be some good competition at QB. Hoyer and Cutler are pretty close in skill set (mediocre). And Hoyers played in Loggains offense before so...

Something tells me they're not set at RB. Be on the lookout for someone's throwaway.

Don't underestimate Housler. I could see him doing well enough to make a spot for himself. I mean really, what type of real competition is there?

As far as WRs go, I'd be willing to bet that Mariani raises some eyebrows as the slot (z, #3 whatever) receiver.

Still really am baffled what the heck is going on with the Oline. Should be an interesting camp.

QB – Cutler, Hoyer

RB – Langford, Howard, Carey, Rodgers

TE – Miller, Housler, Lee, Braunecker

WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (Thompson, Mariani), (Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith)

OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, (Ramirez, Slauson, Larsen, Grasu), (Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver/Wallace)

DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (Ferguson, Sutton, Robertson-Harris, Washington)

LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (Jones/Anderson/Timu), (Acho/Houston/Young)

CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, McManis, Hall

S – Amos, Bush, Houston-Carson, (Rolle, Bolden, Prosinski)

I think the main competitions will be in parentheses, but I think for the most part, almost all starters are set. I only think we carry 2x QBs.

I think there could be some good competition at QB. Hoyer and Cutler are pretty close in skill set (mediocre). And Hoyers played in Loggains offense before so...

Something tells me they're not set at RB. Be on the lookout for someone's throwaway.

Don't underestimate Housler. I could see him doing well enough to make a spot for himself. I mean really, what type of real competition is there?

As far as WRs go, I'd be willing to bet that Mariani raises some eyebrows as the slot (z, #3 whatever) receiver.

Still really am baffled what the heck is going on with the Oline. Should be an interesting camp.

I don't see Hoyer as being anywhere close to Cutler in terms of talent. I'm not sure which or how many of his games you have watched but there are a lot of NFL throws Hoyer cannot make.

I'll be surprised if Mariani makes this team. Deonte Thompson and Braverman offer more in terms of speed/quickness and have comparable hands. Unless Cam Meredith has made some big strides this offseason I expect or hope we'll be signing a vet FA WR to fill out the depth at WR (at the expense of Wilson).

Big draft class is going to mean lots of competition and some decent players losing their jobs. QB should be set with Cutler/Hoyer/Fales, but it's chaos almost everywhere else:

RB: I'd be shocked if we don't keep Langford/Howard/Carey/Rodgers. Sorry Senorise.

TE: Beyond Zach Miller you have veterans who haven't shown much (Housler, Sinclair, Lee) who should be pushed by Braunecker.

WR: Jeffery, White, and Royal are the only locks, IMO. Thompson probably has an edge with special teams value but Braverman could challenge that. Will be a big camp for Wilson, Bellamy, and Meredith and I could see them all losing their jobs if a decent WR is cut loose from another team.

OL: I don't know what to make of the Whitehair pick, because we are now stacked at C/G, but thin at T. Slauson seems like a trade candidate. I really hope we don't move Long to LT. I have no idea who starts at OT if someone gets hurt - hopefully Tayo has been studying this offseason.

DL: Some of the past regime's draft picks might not survive. Ferguson seems like a good fit in the 3-4 and might even start over Bullard, but Washington and Sutton might be on the outside looking in.

LB: I doubt Houston and Young make this team and Christian Jones has gone from projected high pick to UDFA to future starter to barely useful. I liked what Timu and Anderson did last year, I'm not sure they both survive the Kwiatkoski pick (although is it crazy for me to think that Kwiatkoski could start at OLB with Floyd as the pass-rusher?).

CB: This actually seems pretty set to me. Porter/Fuller/Callahan/Hall/McManis, though the UDFAs Calhoun and Peterson might put up a fight.

S: Will be an absolute dog fight behind Amos. You have young guys on the roster who showed some flashed in Hurst, Jones-Quartay and Prosinski, a young guy they liked till he got hurt in Jefferson, two draft picks in Bush and Houston-Carson, and the veteran in Rolle. That's not even mentioning Bolden, who I assume makes the roster as a return man, again, unless Braverman shows some value there.

RB: Carey could be cut if Rodgers is healthy unless they really want to keep 4.

TE: Braunecker gives us some options on how to shape the roster but most likely Housler stays as the blocking TE and Lee/Braunecker compete for a spot.

WR: I agree with you on WR. I've given up on Wilson and would really like to see us pickup a solid vet FA.

OL: Love the fact we have too much interior talent to know who makes the team. At OT I liked Tayo coming out of college and judging by his last video he's slimmed down. Last year they kept him on the roster all season long instead of the practice squad. They must have seen something in him. At a minimum I think he'll be ok at RT. All the OTs we've signed in UDFA indicates they want some competition here.

DT: I think Will Sutton's career with the Bears is done. Bullard offers far more as an interior pass rusher. Since Ego beat him out last year for a starting job I expect he'll win the battle for a roster spot along with Unrein. Cornelius Washington will be the most interesting to watch because he started out doing some good things in camp last year. Now with a full year under his belt at this new position and weight I'm very curious to see what he can do.

OLB: We're going to keep at least 4 on the roster. Right now we have McPhee, Houston, Floyd, Young, and Acho. If you cut Houston who takes his place? Floyd is not going to handle the running game so I think Houston stays with the Bears. That leaves Houston and McPhee as starters on the edge. Willie Young is definitely the odd man here but he was still productive in our 4-man fronts and he's cheap so I see no reason to get rid of him. If we get a good trade offer then ok. Acho is likely odd man out and if the UDFA Robertson-Harris is doing well I can definitely see Young being cut but I don't expect that. In the end Floyd replaces Acho.

ILB: Trevathan and Freeman locked in as starters. Kwiatkoski makes the team. 4th spot likely goes to Timu IMO who out played Anderson at the end of the season.

CB: I think we are set and neither of the UDFAs impressed me that much on games I watched to make me think they'll challenge for a roster spot.

S: Does Antrel Rolle stay? For now yes. By the end of training camp? These young guys can play. I think DHC will stand out sooner as he seemed to have better instincts in the games I watched. One thing with all 3 of the DBs (Hall, Bush, and DHC) I think our special teams are going to be much better. Bush in particular said he played on all 4 special teams in college and he likes doing it, and he likes to hit people.

I don't see Hoyer as being anywhere close to Cutler in terms of talent. I'm not sure which or how many of his games you have watched but there are a lot of NFLo throws Hoyer cannot make.

Beg to differ. Hoyer highlights

Admittedly haven't watch a lot on him but just looking at this reel I can see he does pretty good in the pocket. Something Cutler hasn't been all that great in. At any rate he'll probably not elevate than #2 on the roster unless Cutler reverts to his old ways. It'll be a battle of mediocrity this training camp.

Admittedly haven't watch a lot on him but just looking at this reel I can see he does pretty good in the pocket. Something Cutler hasn't been all that great in. At any rate he'll probably not elevate than #2 on the roster unless Cutler reverts to his old ways. It'll be a battle of mediocrity this training camp.

2min of highlights from last season. Where are the line drive throws on the 20 yard out patterns? That's why I was wondering how many of his games you have watched. I saw him when he arrived in Arizona and there's just no comparison in arm strength between him and Cutler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tepWXInsQ04

2min of highlights from last season. Where are the line drive throws on the 20 yard out patterns? That's why I was wondering how many of his games you have watched. I saw him when he arrived in Arizona and there's just no comparison in arm strength between him and Cutler.

Grizzy just cant get off the take shots at Cutler bandwagon. Cutler is at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs, 14-16 and Alaska cant accept that. He will be here for 3-4 years so we will be hearing this for a few more years.

The Oline is interesting, if they put the best 5 on the field, Long could be going to LT, probably most natural position. I see him resisting at first, but it gives him the best chance to get a big paycheck. We now have depth so cudos for signing people that can play, instead of the mess we had last year.

If healthy our Wide outs turn into a strength. They are some decent players going to be cut this year and that is all good because that means the roster is getting stronger. Rolle probably stays for one more year because of so much youth,but this coaching staff is not afraid to play young guys.

LBers will sort itself out, Acho, or Young probably on there way out and not because they earned that, just more speed and youth added.I can see both Houston or Young being traded for late round picks in trading camp as teams develop their roster.

We added some good football players, this year, good job done by Pace. It will show more two years from now, but is all good going forward.

Grizzy just cant get off the take shots at Cutler bandwagon. Cutler is at the top of the 2nd tier of QBs, 14-16 and Alaska cant accept that. He will be here for 3-4 years so we will be hearing this for a few more years.

The Oline is interesting, if they put the best 5 on the field, Long could be going to LT, probably most natural position. I see him resisting at first, but it gives him the best chance to get a big paycheck. We now have depth so cudos for signing people that can play, instead of the mess we had last year.

If healthy our Wide outs turn into a strength. They are some decent players going to be cut this year and that is all good because that means the roster is getting stronger. Rolle probably stays for one more year because of so much youth,but this coaching staff is not afraid to play young guys.

LBers will sort itself out, Acho, or Young probably on there way out and not because they earned that, just more speed and youth added.I can see both Houston or Young being traded for late round picks in trading camp as teams develop their roster.

We added some good football players, this year, good job done by Pace. It will show more two years from now, but is all good going forward.

I sure hope you're wrong and they don't plan on moving Long to LT. I really don't like that move. He's a potential HOF OG. They shouldn't mess with that. Also, this is the kind of scenario you end up with when drafting too heavily towards BPA. There are four guys (Long, Slausson, Grasu, Whitehair) who can start for three positions, and there is one guy (Leno) who can start at LT.

I sure hope you're wrong and they don't plan on moving Long to LT. I really don't like that move. He's a potential HOF OG. They shouldn't mess with that. Also, this is the kind of scenario you end up with when drafting too heavily towards BPA. There are four guys (Long, Slausson, Grasu, Whitehair) who can start for three positions, and there is one guy (Leno) who can start at LT.

I think it will play itself out. Grassu will sit this year, to many better options but will force him to work harder, and that wont be all bad. As far as Long, he is better than Leno, but your probably right, just have to wait and see about that. All the one year guys we brought in were just upgrades to our depth, but the best guys will be out there, so that aint all bad.

Grizzly, it must really suck to be wrong .

Hell I was wrong too......

I said Cutler could be a good Qb with good coaching, good oline and good weapons...... Well he had 1 of the three and played pretty damn good, better than I expected.... Lets hope he can have all 3 this year......Playoffs???? I think so.

QB – Cutler, Hoyer

WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (Thompson, Mariani), (Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith)

OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, (Ramirez, Slauson, Larsen, Grasu), (Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver/Wallace)

DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (Ferguson, Sutton, Robertson-Harris, Washington)

LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (Jones/Anderson/Timu), (Acho/Houston/Young)

CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, McManis, Hall

S – Amos, Bush, Houston-Carson, (Rolle, Bolden, Prosinski)

I think the main competitions will be in parentheses, but I think for the most part, almost all starters are set. I only think we carry 2x QBs.

QB: cutler will obviously start, but hoyer is a great backup. He is at least a guy who can come in and win a game or two if cutler goes down (especially with the easy schedule)

RB: I really think Howard and Langford will split time. This is such a John Fox backfield with one bigger between the tackles guy (howard) and a speedier,outside the tackles guy (Langford). ie. Anderson and hillman, stewart and Williams. Carey and Rodgers could be in a dogfight, though fox supposedly really likes carey

TE: big time need here - weakest part of the roster

WR: Alshon, White, Royal, Wilson, Braverman, Mariani, Bellamy/Meredith

OL: Tons of competition at all spots, weakest spot is probably LT, and even though Whitehair isn't a pro-level LT, could probably play there in a pinch.

Here are the list of rotation guys who could conceivably play these positions - lots of options and fluidity

LT: Leno, Long? Whitehair in an emergency

LG: Slauson, Ramirez, Whitehair

C: Grassu, slauson, Ramirez, whitehair?

LG: Long, Slauson, Ramirez

RT: Massie, Long in a pinch (though I think this experiment is over)

Defense has a great blend of veterans and young guys. CB is probably biggest soft spot still, also depth at DE

DE: Bullard, Sutton, Unrein

DT: Goldman, Hicks, Ferguson?

DE: Hicks, Ferguson, Washington?

OLB: McPhee, Houston

ILB: Trevathan, Kwiatkowski, Jones, Anderson

ILB: Freeman, Timu, Acho

OLB: Floyd, Young

CB: Fuller, Hall

SS: Rolle, Bush, prosinski

FS: Amos, Houston-Carson, Jones-quartey

CB: Porter, Callahan

Cmon AZ. 1 year does not a career make (referring to Cutler). Yes he finally did improve last year so much so that perhaps he is "top 14-16 QB" (that to me is funny). But it's the rest of the 'body of work' (or whatever phrase Chitown is always using) that defines him.

Don't be surprised if Antrell Rolle doesn't make the final cut. I never really understood that signing in the first place.

Rolle isn't a bad player, and he's like a coach on the field. I would hope he sticks around to help mentor these guys. He and Bush are already workout buddies apparently.

Cmon AZ. 1 year does not a career make (referring to Cutler). Yes he finally did improve last year so much so that perhaps he is "top 14-16 QB" (that to me is funny). But it's the rest of the 'body of work' (or whatever phrase Chitown is always using) that defines him.

Look at the state of QB in the nfl, he is Easley the top half of the league, dont let your hate view your vision.

Look at the state of QB in the nfl, he is Easley the top half of the league, dont let your hate view your vision.

trying to convince Grizzly about Cutler is a waste of time. Grizzly has a lot of great views and thoughts on the Bears. Cutler there is no hope. Anyone that thinks Hoyer and Cutler are similar QB's will never see the light.

Wow, I forgot how many there were, but looking back at some of those, a good bunch were not on Cutler. Sure there were the overthrows or the one he seemed to throw right at Hayward, but there were several receivers running a different way, giving up on play (Hester), and a bunch were the defender jumping in front of the stationary receiver for the pick.

But 1 year of Hoyer does? A year after which he was fired and couldn't find work to compete for a starting job?

Anyway, I only put up the video so you can see the difference in the tight windows Cutler can put passes and Hoyer cannot. You can also see the arm strength difference on the first passes in each of their highlights.

trying to convince Grizzly about Cutler is a waste of time. Grizzly has a lot of great views and thoughts on the Bears. Cutler there is no hope. Anyone that thinks Hoyer and Cutler are similar QB's will never see the light.

Well put Chi. (For the most part). - and thank you.

I will say this; 'in order to see the light, one must first be shown the light.'

But 1 year of Hoyer does? A year after which he was fired and couldn't find work to compete for a starting job?

Anyway, I only put up the video so you can see the difference in the tight windows Cutler can put passes and Hoyer cannot. You can also see the arm strength difference on the first passes in each of their highlights.

Yes but what good is arm strength if it's to the gut of a D lineman?

I think it will play itself out. Grassu will sit this year, to many better options but will force him to work harder, and that wont be all bad. As far as Long, he is better than Leno, but your probably right, just have to wait and see about that. All the one year guys we brought in were just upgrades to our depth, but the best guys will be out there, so that aint all bad.

If I have an OL due an extension and he plays OG at a Pro Bowl caliber, imo I would sign him at his current position than move him to that premium position and then try to sign him.

QB – Cutler, Hoyer

WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (1 out of Thompson, Mariani), (1 of out of Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith)

OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Grasu, Ramirez, Larsen, (2 of out of Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver/Wallace)

DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (2 out of Ferguson, Sutton, Robertson-Harris, Washington)

LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (2 out of Jones/Anderson/Timu), (2 out of Acho/Houston/Young)

CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Hall, McManis

S – Amos, Bush, Houston-Carson, Bolden, Prosinski

QB – Cutler, Hoyer

WR – Jeffery, White, Royal, Braverman, (1 out of Thompson, Mariani), (1 of out of Wilson/Bellamy/Meredith)

OL – Long, Massie, Leno, Whitehair, Grasu, Ramirez, Larsen, (2 of out of Fabuluje/Becton/Weaver/Wallace)

DL – Goldman, Unrein, Hicks, Bullard, (2 out of Ferguson, Sutton, Robertson-Harris, Washington)

LB – Floyd, Trevathan, McPhee, Freeman, Kwiatkoski, (2 out of Jones/Anderson/Timu), (2 out of Acho/Houston/Young)

CB – Fuller, Porter, Callahan, Hall, McManis

S – Amos, Bush, Houston-Carson, Bolden, Prosinski

Anyone want to check Howard out , watch this game highlights of them against Michigan.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnNghhKvDCs&feature=youtu.be

Yes but what good is arm strength if it's to the gut of a D lineman?

If I'm not mistaken your original statement was:

"Hoyer and Cutler are pretty close in skill set"

From an athletic standpoint I just don't see it. I show highlights of passes that Cutler can make that Hoyer will never be able to throw. You have morphed the discussion from your original statement to one now where we talk about decision making. I didn't watch a single Houston game last year. I have seen Hoyer is several Cardinals games and Browns games. None of them impressed me at all. Hoyer is now on his 5th team after being a starter for 3 teams. As a backup he is better than anyone we could have drafted. He is not better than Cutler.

You know this to be a fact: John Fox will start the best players. If Hoyer is better than Cutler he'll be our starter in week 1 and for the rest of the season.