53-man roster updates

adam

They are coming in.

LS Patrick Scales - sort of surprising, I thought he had the job locked up, now it goes to Aaron Brewer.

OL Jason Weaver - They obviously like Adams and Silatolu

TE Tony Moeaki - sort of surprising as he played pretty solid in the preseason, with him gone Lasike makes it as a FB.

WR Daniel Braverman - could still make the PS, but based on his performance, not a lot of good tape

CB De’Vante Bausby - damn I really thought he had a chance, I think Glenn's experience pushed him out, hopefully he ends up on the PS.

WR Marc Mariani - I am actually surprised here, thought he would stick around due to ST. Now it looks like it will be Thompson, Bellamy, and Meredith as the 4-6 after AJ, White and Royal.

RB Jacquizz Rodgers - somewhat surprising, but not as much after Howard's showing and the assumption that Lasike makes it.

TE Rob Housler - slightly surprising to see him and Moeaki cut, they may look to add depth via the waiver wire

TE Ben Braunecker - PS material

LB John Timu - looks like Jones and Anderson both make it over Timu

QB David Fales - Eligible for PS, does it matter?

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs

Current 53-man roster:

QB Jay Cutler Brian Hoyer

RB Jeremy Langford Jordan Howard Ka'Deem Carey

WR Alshon Jeffery Deonte Thompson

WR Kevin White Josh Bellamy

WR Eddie Royal Cameron Meredith

TE/FB Zach Miller Logan Paulsen Greg Scruggs Paul Lasike (FB)

LT Charles Leno Mike Adams

LG Cody Whitehair Amini Silatolu

C Ted Larsen Eric Kush

RG Kyle Long

RT Bobby Massie

23 - Offense

DE Mitch Unrein Jonathan Bullard

DT Eddie Goldman Will Sutton

DE Akiem Hicks Cornelius Washington

OLB Willie Young Leonard Floyd

OLB Lamarr Houston Sam Acho

ILB Jerrell Freeman Nick Kwiatkowski Christian Jones (ILB/OLB)

ILB Danny Trevathan Jonathan Anderson

CB Tracey Porter Kyle Fuller Sherrick McManis Cre'von LeBlanc

CB Bryce Callahan Deoindre Hall Jacoby Glenn

SS Harold Jones-Quartey Deon Bush

FS Adrian Amos DeAndre Houston-Carson Chris Prosinski

27 - Defense

K Robbie Gould

P Pat O'Donnell

LS Aaron Brewer

PUP -

Wilson and McPhee

I've updated the first post with the latest.

3 more cuts if McPhee is put on some type of IR, 4 more if he is not.

Looks like McPhee, Wilson and Fuller to start on PUP list, which would be last 3 moves.

Ouch, didn't realize Fuller would be missing the first 6 weeks.

McPhee I kind of figured. We need him 100%

I am ok with Wilson starting here, he is an insurance policy at WR.

Hope we win some of our gambles for our practice squad. Would like to see Braverman, Braunecker, and Fales make it. Fales only bc he kmows the system.

SO GLAD J RODGERS IS GONE! He offers nothing...

They are coming in.

LS Patrick Scales - sort of surprising, I thought he had the job locked up, now it goes to Aaron Brewer.

OL Jason Weaver - They obviously like Adams and Silatolu

TE Tony Moeaki - sort of surprising as he played pretty solid in the preseason, with him gone Lasike makes it as a FB.

WR Daniel Braverman - could still make the PS, but based on his performance, not a lot of good tape

CB De’Vante Bausby - damn I really thought he had a chance, I think Glenn's experience pushed him out, hopefully he ends up on the PS.

WR Marc Mariani - I am actually surprised here, thought he would stick around due to ST. Now it looks like it will be Thompson, Bellamy, and Meredith as the 4-6 after AJ, White and Royal.

RB Jacquizz Rodgers - somewhat surprising, but not as much after Howard's showing and the assumption that Lasike makes it.

TE Rob Housler - slightly surprising to see him and Moeaki cut, they may look to add depth via the waiver wire

TE Ben Braunecker - PS material

LB John Timu - looks like Jones and Anderson both make it over Timu

QB David Fales - Eligible for PS, does it matter?

https://twitter.com/BradBiggs

Heavy focus on extra DBs for obvious reasons. I too am surprised to see Fuller on the PUP although I think that is best for him to get fully healthy. We're still rebuilding so from a long term perspective it wasn't clear if Fuller was part of the future or not. Seeing some of these younger guys like Glenn get experience could pay off down the road. Callahan is the guy I really want back on the field. While Glenn really improved in the last couple preseason games Callahan can solidify things for us. Having one weak spot (i.e. Glenn) means we can rotate safeties that way. Having two weak spots not so easily done especially with Trevathan nursing a bad hamstring.

I'm very excited to see this Dline come together over the course of this season. We know what Goldman can do, and IMO Hicks has already proven himself in our scheme. Unrein and Sutton are both reliable and that's a good thing. I said I really wanted to keep Washington around to allow him to build on his upside and I like the idea of him and Bullard in there on 3rd and long. That's a lot of quickness out of the DT position for Oline players to deal with. Toss in Floyd and Willie (who has been our best pass rusher this preseason) coming off the edges. As the season moves along I see either Bullard or Washington getting more early down snaps in place of Unrein.

Congrats to Cornelius Edison for making the roster. He'll be around for several years IMO.

Congrats also to Meredith. Impressive for a guy with so little experience at WR to improve that much in one year. I like his physical traits on the field more than what I've seen out of Wilson and if he continues to improve he'll take his place. Bellamy as well has improved over last season. I feel more comfortable with our WR depth than I've been in the last two seasons. I expect we'll find Braverman on our practice squad as I doubt teams saw enough from him in the preseason to put him on their roster if they need help at WR. They should be more likely to grab a vet who got cut. There's potential for Braverman to take over for Royal in the slot next year (or next injury) but he's got some learning to do.

Braunecker on practice squad makes sense too.

I too am surprised the team cut J. Rodgers but I'm not disappointed at all. This bodes well for our future with Howard.

It's hard to assess but the backup Oline weren't that bad the last couple games. I never tracked Silatolu or Adams much but reportedly they were ok. Both guys are working back from injury and steadily improved as they got back up to game speed. It's hard to be confident here but OTOH I don't think it's the disaster we all thought it would be after the first preseason game.

--------

Overall I think team speed has improved from last year. Will Sutton has gone from being our quickest Dline (at least we hoped for that) to perhaps 6th on the depth chart.

--------

More changes will happen, especially among the DBs, as players return from injury. It all depends how the injuries go but I won't be surprised to see someone like Moeaki return midseason and have us carry 4 TEs.

Bears signed veteran free-agent tight end Logan Paulsen and claimed center Eric Kush and cornerback Cre'von LeBlanc off waivers.

To make room, the Bears waived tight end Khari Lee, defensive back Demontre Hurst and center Cornelius Edison.

Lee, Hurst, and Edison gone. Replaced by Paulsen, LeBlanc, and Kush.

Current 53-man roster:

QB Jay Cutler Brian Hoyer

RB Jeremy Langford Jordan Howard Ka'Deem Carey

WR Alshon Jeffery Deonte Thompson

WR Kevin White Josh Bellamy

WR Eddie Royal Cameron Meredith

TE/FB Zach Miller Logan Paulsen Greg Scruggs Paul Lasike (FB)

LT Charles Leno Mike Adams

LG Cody Whitehair Amini Silatolu

C Ted Larsen Eric Kush

RG Kyle Long

RT Bobby Massie

23 - Offense

DE Mitch Unrein Jonathan Bullard

DT Eddie Goldman Will Sutton

DE Akiem Hicks Cornelius Washington

OLB Willie Young Leonard Floyd

OLB Lamarr Houston Sam Acho

ILB Jerrell Freeman Nick Kwiatkowski Christian Jones (ILB/OLB)

ILB Danny Trevathan Jonathan Anderson

CB Tracey Porter Kyle Fuller Sherrick McManis Cre'von LeBlanc

CB Bryce Callahan Deoindre Hall Jacoby Glenn

SS Harold Jones-Quartey Deon Bush

FS Adrian Amos DeAndre Houston-Carson Chris Prosinski

27 - Defense

K Robbie Gould

P Pat O'Donnell

LS Aaron Brewer

PUP -

Wilson and McPhee

LeBlanc profiles:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...146;von-leblanc

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cre...lanc?id=2555305

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/...leased-patriots

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriot...eblanc_s_corner

The Bears got a good look at him for 4 days so they know exactly what they have vs. Hurst who was cut. It's hard to see a 4.65 CB but maybe those timed runs weren't indicative of his play speed. He certainly seems like a tough competitive football player and I don't mind having that on defense.

Adam Schefter is reporting the Bears have cut Robbie Gould!

Hmmm. Marshall, Slauson, Forte and now Gould? Do these guys ever have a backup plan in place when they make these choices? At least with Forte they appear to have a plan but with Gould they decided to cut bait and bring in a new guy a week before the regular season. I'm beginning to think TD was right in questioning some of this management teams decisions.

LeBlanc profiles:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players...146;von-leblanc

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cre...lanc?id=2555305

http://www.csnne.com/new-england-patriots/...leased-patriots

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriot...eblanc_s_corner

The Bears got a good look at him for 4 days so they know exactly what they have vs. Hurst who was cut. It's hard to see a 4.65 CB but maybe those timed runs weren't indicative of his play speed. He certainly seems like a tough competitive football player and I don't mind having that on defense.

he had a good training camp and i thought he would make the roster for the Pats. I am sure they were hoping to stash him on the PS...good pick up by the Bears

We drafted Kevin White to balance the loss of Marshall.

We now have Stinton and Whitehair to balance the loss of Slauson.

We have Langford, Carey and Howard to balance the loss of Forte. (still the biggest loss...but age was a HUGE factor)

And apparently, we will have Connor Barth to balance out Gould.

Not sure those are bad management decisions... Some are painful. But all seem necessary for a team that wants to get younger and make a serious run next season.

I know I'm sure happier with Pace than with Emery. And at the moment, Angelo. But, that requires more time.

Hmmm. Marshall, Slauson, Forte and now Gould? Do these guys ever have a backup plan in place when they make these choices? At least with Forte they appear to have a plan but with Gould they decided to cut bait and bring in a new guy a week before the regular season. I'm beginning to think TD was right in questioning some of this management teams decisions.

Hmmm. Marshall, Slauson, Forte and now Gould? Do these guys ever have a backup plan in place when they make these choices? At least with Forte they appear to have a plan but wit Gould they decided to cut bait and bring in a new guy a week before the regular season. I'm beginning to think TD was right in questioning some of this management teams decisions.

Have you seen Gould lately? The management gave him huge benefits after his last season debacles and he blew it in preseason by missing multiple kicks. I was glad they kept him and even gave him a competition free camp but he couldn't find 1 out of 4 million reasons to be NFL capable