Romo Time?

DABEARSDABOMB

Some rumors that the Bears are one of two teams who would likely make a push for Romo this off-season. As a two year stop-gap, while we develop a QB, I absolutely would be okay with the move. We have tons of cap space and a defensive arrow that is pointing up. I don't love any of the QB's who we may not even have a shot at with our 1st round pick and this would allow us to take someone and develop them without the immediate pressure of needing them to come in (and if we misssed, we could take another one while still having a good QB...cause Romo is good (if he's healthy).

Of course as everyone on this board knows, I'm also fine making a push for Jimmy G (cause I think he's better then the top 3 QB's on the board and we could likely get him for a 2nd rounder and a future pick).

I am not sold on Romo really, and I guess it would matter how much we would have to pay for him.

If it takes anything like two 1st round picks for Jimmy G, no way. Let the Patriots keep him and he can sit on the bench.

I would really like us to try to get a young guy with talent, hopefully in the draft. We need a long term answer, as hard as that is to come by.

Romo is too high of an injury risk

NE QBs going to other teams never seem to work out

Everytime we try trading picks for QBs we get bit in the ass

Cutler & R Mirer cost us a total of 4 1st rounders between the two. What a waste.

Draft good prospects, develop them, that is the only long term solution IMO

If Romo isn't careful he will wind up in a wheel chair for the remainder of his life.

How many back surgeries is he going to endure before he realizes it is time to retire?

That is why I am reluctant to want to sign him.

No, I do not want Cutler as a transition QB.

But I do not want to waste big $$ on Romo's bad back.

Couldn't agree more...

If Romo isn't careful he will wind up in a wheel chair for the remainder of his like.

How many back surgeries is he going to endure before he realizes it is time to retire?

That is why I am reluctant to want to sign hi.

No, I do not want Cutler as a transition QB.

But I do not want to waste big $$ on Romo's bad back.

If Cutler is gone and after last week's debacle that seems like the only option, then I prefer to just go with Hoyer as the transition guy. Hoyer sucks but he'll keep the chains moving. I think our defense is getting close. I've seen one mock that had us taking John Allen DT with the 4th pick overall. I haven't watched him play much but that would give us one outstanding Dline, with depth in Bullard improving. The CB talent isn't top 5, nor is the QB talent. Take best available early and then trade up mid-late 1st for our QB.

http://draftbreakdown.com/joe-marinos-mid-...nfl-mock-draft/

On the flip side you take Cutler's money and throw it wherever you see fit in FA. Hoyer will cost us a little more than the $2mil we paid last year but we should still see at least $10mil freed up. That could put someone like Eric Berry on the roster at a position we really need help at. Then you work what's left in the draft at CB (again), OT and if Jeffrey is gone maybe WR.

With Cutler we have $48mil in cap space for 2017. Jeffrey could take a big chunk of that. We are going to find some more good players to fill out this roster. You might see Lamar Houston gone as well if RRH is ready to go.

If Cutler is gone and after last week's debacle that seems like the only option, then I prefer to just go with Hoyer as the transition guy. Hoyer sucks but he'll keep the chains moving. I think our defense is getting close. I've seen one mock that had us taking John Allen DT with the 4th pick overall. I haven't watched him play much but that would give us one outstanding Dline, with depth in Bullard improving. The CB talent isn't top 5, nor is the QB talent. Take best available early and then trade up mid-late 1st for our QB.

http://draftbreakdown.com/joe-marinos-mid-...nfl-mock-draft/

On the flip side you take Cutler's money and throw it wherever you see fit in FA. Hoyer will cost us a little more than the $2mil we paid last year but we should still see at least $10mil freed up. That could put someone like Eric Berry on the roster at a position we really need help at. Then you work what's left in the draft at CB (again), OT and if Jeffrey is gone maybe WR.

With Cutler we have $48mil in cap space for 2017. Jeffrey could take a big chunk of that. We are going to find some more good players to fill out this roster. You might see Lamar Houston gone as well if RRH is ready to go.

Agree with Jason's Ro-no (good one).

But lest we forget we also have the 'other bald guy' in Connor Shaw on the roster who some think could be decent. Maybe not started quality but at least in the running...until we find the franchise QB we all want and need.

I'm still good with trying to cut ties with AJ too. He's turning out to be more trouble than he's worth.

Agree with Jason's Ro-no (good one).

But lest we forget we also have the 'other bald guy' in Connor Shaw on the roster who some think could be decent. Maybe not started quality but at least in the running...until we find the franchise QB we all want and need.

I'm still good with trying to cut ties with AJ too. He's turning out to be more trouble than he's worth.

I agree on AJ, does he really want to be a Bear? I think not...skipping camp, wanting an unreasonable contract etc....I wonder if he is a BM guy and is still not happy with all of the drama there. Nothing I have read about him indicates he wants to be around. So, let's try to get something for him if he doesn't, because he won't be a long term answer if he is not bought into being a Bear.

I agree on AJ, does he really want to be a Bear? I think not...skipping camp, wanting an unreasonable contract etc....I wonder if he is a BM guy and is still not happy with all of the drama there. Nothing I have read about him indicates he wants to be around. So, let's try to get something for him if he doesn't, because he won't be a long term answer if he is not bought into being a Bear.

AJ would have to be franchised again in order to trade him or he can agree to a sign and trade type of deal. So if we franchise him again, that will be about 18mil (17.6?). They can let him walk and maybe get a 3rd compesation pick, but they cannot sign a fa with a similiar type contract or chance losing that compensation. It will be a tough decision on Pace who may extend him before seasons end to have more flexibilty in deciding what to do with him. I do see the Bears being heavily active in FA since they should be top 6-7 in cap again with more if Cutler walks. They may keep both, with that cap space they have why not hold on to them until a desperate team offers decent return.

**correction, the Bears have to wait until the end of regular season to negotiate a new deal with AJ.