Dak Prescott question...

Mongo3451

It's been well documented that we made three 4th round picks without choosing Dak. My question is this: if we would have chosen him, how would the world see him now?

Well if he came in when Cutler got hurt and played instead of Hoyer and Barkley, I think they would be saying the same thing about him and I would think the offense would be better overall. It might not translate to wins, but based on his stats and performance, it would hard to not see us winning a few more with him under center. Now obviously, we are not the Cowboys, so there is a little extra hype there.

It's been well documented that we made three 4th round picks without choosing Dak. My question is this: if we would have chosen him, how would the world see him now?

With the way our Oline and offense in general was playing early on in the season they'd have said that's why he lasted until the 4th Rd. You should be able to fill in the blanks on that one.

I certainly think he's done well as a rookie but there are limitations to his game that are hidden by that Oline and running game. I said during the draft that I liked his honesty on what he had to work on improving, and his work ethic to get it done. I do like his long term prospects but I'm not 100% convinced he's a long term answer for them. As 4th Rd QB picks go that's pretty good. Passing yards the last few games (195, 139, and 165) are a bit of a red flag and we'll see how things end up this last part of the season. Regardless Romo is gone from his view in a couple months and then the pressure really changes.

With the way our Oline and offense in general was playing early on in the season they'd have said that's why he lasted until the 4th Rd. You should be able to fill in the blanks on that one.

I certainly think he's done well as a rookie but there are limitations to his game that are hidden by that Oline and running game. I said during the draft that I liked his honesty on what he had to work on improving, and his work ethic to get it done. I do like his long term prospects but I'm not 100% convinced he's a long term answer for them. As 4th Rd QB picks go that's pretty good. Passing yards the last few games (195, 139, and 165) are a bit of a red flag and we'll see how things end up this last part of the season. Regardless Romo is gone from his view in a couple months and then the pressure really changes.

Different situations have different results. He wouldnt have played as well here, and we would be on the fence with him right now. Having said that would be a good prospect for the future, which we dont have right now. Im now thinking trying to trade for Jimmy G. from NE would be a better choice than that drafting one in the first round, only because you have tape on him in the NFL instead of projecting a rookie that probably wont be good for at least 2 to 3 years. I would hate to think the first round pick in a trade, but it may end up that way. What say you?

Different situations have different results. He wouldnt have played as well here, and we would be on the fence with him right now. Having said that would be a good prospect for the future, which we dont have right now. Im now thinking trying to trade for Jimmy G. from NE would be a better choice than that drafting one in the first round, only because you have tape on him in the NFL instead of projecting a rookie that probably wont be good for at least 2 to 3 years. I would hate to think the first round pick in a trade, but it may end up that way. What say you?

Honestly I'd offer new England our 2nd Rd pick. I think that's fair overall. I wouldn't give them our 1st pick. It's way to high of a pick for him considering we have other issues that need to be addressed

He would look like most rookie qb's playing on a weak NFL team. He is having a great, but don't forget the AMAZING Oline in front of him and the great RB and WR and TE they have around him.

I wouldn't give New England a first or second for JG; they have a record of passing on back up QB's who don't cut it. Think what we gave up for Cutler; he was more proven than this guy. And what did we get? Not much, and lost a load of picks. No way. We need to develop our own, and in the meantime use what we have. We are not a SB ready team anyway right now, let's see what Barkley, Shaw and maybe Hoyer can do and try to pick someone up in the draft. There has to be some Prescott's out there next year.

Honestly I'd offer new England our 2nd Rd pick. I think that's fair overall. I wouldn't give them our 1st pick. It's way to high of a pick for him considering we have other issues that need to be addressed

Ditto...my preferred route would be to trade a 2nd for Jimmy G. I'd then trade down a few slots in the first to get that 2nd round pick back.

I wouldn't give New England a first or second for JG; they have a record of passing on back up QB's who don't cut it. Think what we gave up for Cutler; he was more proven than this guy. And what did we get? Not much, and lost a load of picks. No way. We need to develop our own, and in the meantime use what we have. We are not a SB ready team anyway right now, let's see what Barkley, Shaw and maybe Hoyer can do and try to pick someone up in the draft. There has to be some Prescott's out there next year.

Couldn't agree more. We already have a former NE QB on our team in Hoyer and back up QBs from NE don't usually translate to starter material for other teams.

Prescott would have done fine here. He didn't have a spectacular line in Mississipi (32 sacks allowed last year). Dak didn't play under center as much and has said MSU ran a very NFL like offense. He has a similar skill set as does Russell Wilson (who was picked third round by the way). As I pointed out before once things settled down and the coaches finally were able to move on from Cutler, Dak would have been pressed into service and performed well. Just like how Howard is doing in the running game.

Couldn't agree more. We already have a former NE QB on our team in Hoyer and back up QBs from NE don't usually translate to starter material for other teams.

Prescott would have done fine here. He didn't have a spectacular line in Mississipi (32 sacks allowed last year). Dak didn't play under center as much and has said MSU ran a very NFL like offense. He has a similar skill set as does Russell Wilson (who was picked third round by the way). As I pointed out before once things settled down and the coaches finally were able to move on from Cutler, Dak would have been pressed into service and performed well. Just like how Howard is doing in the running game.

None of the other Patriots "backup's" were 2nd round draft picks though. In terms of your comparison to Wilson, I won't say the two are identical, but they definitely have similarities. Russell never wows you, but the total package works very well and I feel the same way, long term with Dak. He clearly benefits from the oline and running game, kind of like Wilson benefited from having such an elite defense (and for a while Lynch).

None of the other Patriots "backup's" were 2nd round draft picks though. In terms of your comparison to Wilson, I won't say the two are identical, but they definitely have similarities. Russell never wows you, but the total package works very well and I feel the same way, long term with Dak. He clearly benefits from the oline and running game, kind of like Wilson benefited from having such an elite defense (and for a while Lynch).

If that is so, why can't we get a 2nd round pick of our own and let him grow like Rodgers in Green Bay? I think the idea of giving the Pats a high pick for JG is silly. We have to get the system right, i.e. coaches and team strength, and then a QB can be less than perfect and shine. Look at McMahon.....lots of wins, but he didn't do it on his own.

If that is so, why can't we get a 2nd round pick of our own and let him grow like Rodgers in Green Bay? I think the idea of giving the Pats a high pick for JG is silly. We have to get the system right, i.e. coaches and team strength, and then a QB can be less than perfect and shine. Look at McMahon.....lots of wins, but he didn't do it on his own.

Rodgers wasn't a 2nd Rd pick. And if you remember correctly many thought he was going to be the #1 pick that year going to San Francisco. San Francisco takes Alex Smith and Rodgers fell hard. Ever hear what Andrew Brandt has said regarding that situation. Andrew was in the green bay front office at that time and when it was there turn to pick they tried to do everything they could to trade that pick because they already had Favre and he was still performing well. They couldn't find a taker and the only reason they took Rodgers was because he was the BPA. He even acknowledged they didn't bother scouting Rodgers or even talking to him because they all knew he would be well gone and they had many other needs.

First of all Hoyer was signed as an undrafted free agent, so he is a little hard to use as an example compared to a 2nd round pick. the point I was trying to make was he is farther along in his development instead of a rookie QB that may take 3 years to play well. So if we trade the pick, 1 st or 2nd , that we would have drafted a QB, we will be closer to good. There is no cant miss QBs in this draft. For every Dak that plays well, there are 3 that bombed out.

First of all Hoyer was signed as an undrafted free agent, so he is a little hard to use as an example compared to a 2nd round pick. the point I was trying to make was he is farther along in his development instead of a rookie QB that may take 3 years to play well. So if we trade the pick, 1 st or 2nd , that we would have drafted a QB, we will be closer to good. There is no cant miss QBs in this draft. For every Dak that plays well, there are 3 that bombed out.

Just 3? Looking back over the last decade's QB drafts I see on average about 1 who becomes a decent starter. There are probably 8-10 QBs taken each draft. About once every 4 years we see a draft that produces 2 good starters and right now those are Wentz and Prescott. It might not stay that way because Kaepernik was once part of that club. On the flip side about once every 4 years we see not a single good starting QB drafted such as 2013 when Matt Barkley, EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, and Geno Smith were drafted. You have a 10-15% chance you'll get it right in any given year. If you're in Cleveland you have a 1% chance of getting it right.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

i say kick the tires on Cousins. See what he is wanting and go from there. He is a solid QB and hungry to be appreciated. Between him and Howard, we should be able to move the ball down the field.

drafting a QB is hit or miss and usually a miss.

I'd be interested in seeing what cousin's would command. And I've got a feeling he's going to ask for the moon

Dak would look like the Bears QB of the future, and we'd be happy about it. But he wouldn't look as good as he does now, because the Bears do not have the Cowboys' OL.

As for Jimmy G, I hate the idea. The Patriots are a different animal. They make turds smell good. And giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy who has only thrown a few passes in the NFL? Hell no. The "we've seen NFL film on him"-argument is weak considering his experience and team. And he'd likely end up costing a ton more than a rookie. No.

Dak would look like the Bears QB of the future, and we'd be happy about it. But he wouldn't look as good as he does now, because the Bears do not have the Cowboys' OL.

As for Jimmy G, I hate the idea. The Patriots are a different animal. They make turds smell good. And giving up a 2nd rounder for a guy who has only thrown a few passes in the NFL? Hell no. The "we've seen NFL film on him"-argument is weak considering his experience and team. And he'd likely end up costing a ton more than a rookie. No.

The Bears need to draft and develop there own QBs. We may think there is no talent in this draft, but NE would draft one and be trading him 3 years down the road. It takes having the right system and without it, trading doesnt matter. Look at what we got out of Jay.

When you consider doing this think of Brock Osweiller. Nope.