What's your nightmare draft?

jason

The more mocks I do, the more I read about players, the more I see where some are available, the more I like this draft.

There are very, very good players available in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

With that said, what's your nightmare mock draft? The picks have to be in reasonable rounds (i.e. no kickers in the 1st), but after that all bets are off.

Mine:

1 - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama - I've said from nearly the beginning I wasn't super impressed by him. When I've seen him, he's good but never "the guy." This would be a reach for the hope of a shutdown corner. He should go late 1st round, not early.

2 - Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee - The Bears gamble that one of the top four will be there. None are. They panic and reach.

3 - Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech - Great TE depth and 3rd round is the sweet spot. The Bears grab the only one I don't want.

4 - Lorenzo Jerome, S, St. Francis - Smells and looks like a Lovie-special.

4 - Riley Bullough, ILB, Michigan St - An overall poor pick on a guy who is not big enough, not fast enough, and

. He's easily one of my least favorite players in the entire draft.

5 - Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina - The Bears not only waste a pick to find a complimentary RB, but they grab a plodder who doesn't have speed.

7 - Any pick that doesn't involve risk. The 7th round should be used for guys who fell for a variety of reasons (e.g. character concerns, injury possibilities, legal risks), have much better than 7th round college production but are slotted there for a physical attribute (e.g. "short"/"slow" guys who put up hundreds of tackles). About 99% of these guys get cut, so it's no risk to take a big gamble.

The more mocks I do, the more I read about players, the more I see where some are available, the more I like this draft.

With that said, what's your nightmare mock draft? The picks have to be in reasonable rounds (i.e. no kickers in the 1st), but after that all bets are off.

Mine:

1 - Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama - I've said from nearly the beginning I wasn't super impressed by him. When I've seen him, he's good but never "the guy." This would be a reach for the hope of a shutdown corner. He should go late 1st round, not early.

2 - Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee - The Bears gamble that one of the top four will be there. None are. They panic and reach.

3 - Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech - Great TE depth and 3rd round is the sweet spot. The Bears grab the only one I don't want.

4 - Riley Bullough, ILB, Michigan St - An overall poor pick on a guy who is not big enough, not fast enough, and

5 - Elijah Hood, RB, North Carolina - The Bears not only waste a pick to find a complimentary RB, but they grab a plodder who doesn't have speed.

7 - Any pick that doesn't involve risk. The 7th round should be used for guys who fell for a variety of reasons (e.g. character concerns, injury possibilities, legal risks), have much better than 7th round college production but are slotted there for a physical attribute (e.g. "short"/"slow" guys who put up hundreds of tackles). About 99% of these guys get cut, so it's no risk to take a big gamble.

It would be a draft controled by Grizzy.(just kidding) he has been nice lately so I shouldnt jack with him

1-Dezon Kizer,QB a huge reach at 3

2-Hasson Reddick,OLB- we just need other positions first and to small

3-Jeremy Sprinkle/TE better choices

4=Corn Elder-a short CB

4- Eric Magnuson/T a OT that projects as a OG at the next level

5-Fred Ross/WR I just like others better

7-Jake Elliot/K the only K worth drafting is Zane Gonzalez

My nightmare draft ends a year or so after the draft...when we know for sure it was a fail!

Mine:

My nightmare offseason is an offseason where we do nothing to attempt to address the QB spot (i.e., attempt a real solution, not some if this 5th rounder works, we'll be destined for greatness strategy). Either trade for someone legit or draft someone we believe will be legit. If none of those are options, we should be after a vet FA we think is good or making an aggressive push at Cousins. We should be drafting / targeting QB until we get it right. I'm sick of consistently ignoring the position (with the exception of trading for cutler...that was not ignoring it, but the last couple years, that was ignoring it).

A nightmare draft would have a combination of the following elements:

1. reaching for no-name player

2. drafting an injury risk or guy coming off injury who "may be ready by preseason"

3. over drafting one position

4. passing on a guy who has dropped just because every else has

5. drafting a guy out of position but who has "intangibles"

6. drafting someone on combine numbers alone

7. drafting an RB high

8. trading up or trading down and losing value

A nightmare draft would have a combination of the following elements:

1. reaching for no-name player

2. drafting an injury risk or guy coming off injury who "may be ready by preseason"

3. over drafting one position

4. passing on a guy who has dropped just because every else has

5. drafting a guy out of position but who has "intangibles"

6. drafting someone on combine numbers alone

7. drafting an RB high

8. trading up or trading down and losing value

1. But John Thierry had all those sacks at Alcorn State! (Also SMC <_>

2. ???

3. But the Bears totally needed three DBs last year (and 2012), and totally couldn't have used that extra 4th rounder on a QB!

4. But Vontaze Burfict wasn't worth a 6th or 7th rounder!

5. Who cares if he went to San Jose State, HE JUMPED OUT OF THE POOL!!!! (Also SMC <_>

6. But Stephen Paea did all those reps! (Also SMC <_>

7. But Cedric Benson was a great pick, even though Thomas Jones signed a multi-year deal the year before, looked good, and had his two best years right with Chicago after Benson was drafted.

8. Good thing that first rounder was dumped for Mirer.

2. ???

3. But the Bears totally needed three DBs last year (and 2012), and totally couldn't have used that extra 4th rounder on a QB!

5. Who cares if he went to San Jose State, HE JUMPED OUT OF THE POOL!!!! (Also SMC <_>

7. But Cedric Benson was a great pick, even though Thomas Jones signed a multi-year deal the year before, looked good, and had his two best years right with Chicago after Benson was drafted.

:banghead So spot on Jason. I'm working on a project for positivity training and I really think I should stop reading your posts! They just remind me of the quagmire we've been in like forever. :notworthy

2. ???

Man, you nailed it.

For #2, come on, you got this, .......... Brandon Hardin:

"The Chicago Bears chose Hardin in the third round of the 2012 NFL Draft despite him missing the entire 2011 college football season with a shoulder ailment and having an extensive injury history during his career at Oregon State"

The second half of #2 was loosely tied to White.

Man, you nailed it.

For #2, come on, you got this, .......... Brandon Hardin:

The second half of #2 was loosely tied to White.

HA! I forgot all about Hardin missing the college season! I was stuck on the fact that Kevin White's injury was unknown, and Chris Williams' back was a hot rumor, but somehow he checked out in every stage of the process with the Bears (while actually having a back issue).