We are screwed at QB

bradjock

Jay Cutler is better than any free agent quarterback. The problem is he sucks and everybody hates him. So we could overpay for Mike Glennon. We can resign Brian Hoyer. There are a bunch of other mediocre QB's available--none of which would be an upgrade.

If we take a guy at #3--it will be a reach and they won't be ready to play effectively this season. If we take a guy in the 2nd round--it'd be an even bigger project.

We will likely do some combination of signing a bad QB and drafting a bad QB. Either way, for the immediate future, we are screwed at QB.

Jay Cutler is better than any free agent quarterback. The problem is he sucks and everybody hates him. So we could overpay for Mike Glennon. We can resign Brian Hoyer. There are a bunch of other mediocre QB's available--none of which would be an upgrade.

If we take a guy at #3--it will be a reach and they won't be ready to play effectively this season. If we take a guy in the 2nd round--it'd be an even bigger project.

We will likely do some combination of signing a bad QB and drafting a bad QB. Either way, for the immediate future, we are screwed at QB.

Since I've been openly critical of Cutler over the years I'll pose the question of 'how much more screwed could we already be'? Take into account that until his injury, Hoyer was actually playing pretty well. He was playing smart and not turning over the ball and getting multiple 300+yd games. Problem was he wasn't converting a lot of that to TDs. Which could have been attributed to a few things.

First thing; running game. Before week 4 when there wasn't much of a running game at least not until Jordan started cranking out 100 yard games. Even then it took a few weeks for teams to take him (Jordan) seriously and give the passing game a chance. But again, Hoyer and Howard never really had a chance to mesh too much as Hoyer was out before mid-season.

Passing game. There really wasn't a consistent receiving group for Hoyer to go. With White in and out, AJ in and out and Royal out more than in, Hoyer had to throw to the likes of Bellamy, Wilson, Thompson and Meredith (although as the season wore on he proved his worth). Also throw in that once Martellus left for greener fields he had the fragile Miller and a host of unknowns at TE. I should reiterate that despite that he manged to still throw for over 300 yards in each of his appearances.

Defense. We know that 'in order to win championships you need defenses' and I think it safe to say ours is almost there. If you take into account once about three years ago our defense was ranked near 30th in every category to last year when they were ranked 10th (?) overall; they've come a long way.

If Hoyer holds true to form and maintains his ability to not throw games away (ala Cutler) our defense will be that much better, we'll still have Jordan and our receiving corps will more than likely improve. If not we'll have what appears to be a pretty talented player in Shaw backing him up (or perhaps vice versa). And if I have my way, they'll have the next Dak Prescott in Deshaun Watson chomping at the bit to play. All hope is not lost.

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor"

I don't think we are that bad off. There are several QB's rated higher than Prescott was last year, and we have a shot to pick any of them up by the 3rd round.

As for vets, at this point, I don't know how anyone can say Cutler is better than Hoyer. If we had any kind of a defense and weren't decimated with injuries, we definitely win 2-3 more games with Hoyer starting. Check out the worst games of the year by a QB (based on QBR):

Keenum 5.1 in Week 1

Cutler 11.7 in Week 2

Mariota 2.9 in Week 3

Fitzpatrick 7.2 in Week 3

Roethlisberger 5.4 in Week 6

Bradford 9.9 in Week 7

Cutler 4.6 in Week 10

Goff 9.6 in Week 14

Carr 10.8 in Week 14

Fitzpatrick 9.3 in Week 16

Sanchez 4.7 in Week 17

Goff 9.6 in Week 17

Cutler had 2 of them and that was out of 5 total games. That is brutal. Even Barkley's worst games (which were pretty bad didn't even equate to how bad Cutler was against TB. Go back and watch that game (Week 10) and see how bad Cutler was. It is sickening to watch that game again. Only Mariota in Week 3 was worse (based on QBR).

I say we sign Hoyer, draft a QB in the 3rd to 4th round, and go with Hoyer/Shaw/rookie this year and stock up on defense, OT, WR, and TE in draft and free agency. Based on previous years, we can bring in 3-4 starters via free agency, and draft 3-4 more. That could potentially be 8 new starters of the 22 this season.

here is what they are going to do, screw the rumors that is just writers posing opinions.

We will resign Hoyer, the Bears do not let anyone know what they are doing.

We will take Peterman in the third and develop him.

Since I've been openly critical of Cutler over the years I'll pose the question of 'how much more screwed could we already be'? Take into account that until his injury, Hoyer was actually playing pretty well. He was playing smart and not turning over the ball and getting multiple 300+yd games. Problem was he wasn't converting a lot of that to TDs. Which could have been attributed to a few things.

First thing; running game. Before week 4 when there wasn't much of a running game at least not until Jordan started cranking out 100 yard games. Even then it took a few weeks for teams to take him (Jordan) seriously and give the passing game a chance. But again, Hoyer and Howard never really had a chance to mesh too much as Hoyer was out before mid-season.

Passing game. There really wasn't a consistent receiving group for Hoyer to go. With White in and out, AJ in and out and Royal out more than in, Hoyer had to throw to the likes of Bellamy, Wilson, Thompson and Meredith (although as the season wore on he proved his worth). Also throw in that once Martellus left for greener fields he had the fragile Miller and a host of unknowns at TE. I should reiterate that despite that he manged to still throw for over 300 yards in each of his appearances.

Defense. We know that 'in order to win championships you need defenses' and I think it safe to say ours is almost there. If you take into account once about three years ago our defense was ranked near 30th in every category to last year when they were ranked 10th (?) overall; they've come a long way.

If Hoyer holds true to form and maintains his ability to not throw games away (ala Cutler) our defense will be that much better, we'll still have Jordan and our receiving corps will more than likely improve. If not we'll have what appears to be a pretty talented player in Shaw backing him up (or perhaps vice versa). And if I have my way, they'll have the next Dak Prescott in Deshaun Watson chomping at the bit to play. All hope is not lost.

I love how you come up with many excuses for Hoyer but wont admit Cutler had many things stacked against while in Chicago.

Im on the Watson train with you, I think he will be special. He is a winner, leader and big game gamer. Hope you get your way and the Bears draft him.... Hey then you and I can be on the same side for once! lol

Letting Cutler go is supposed to free up some cap space that we can use to strengthen the rest of the roster. If we end up signing Glennon to a contract similar in value (i.e. $12mil) to Cutler's then we lose. Hoyer will sign, this is his best chance period to show he can be a starter in this league because he knows the offense and he has an outstanding RB.

Letting Cutler go is supposed to free up some cap space that we can use to strengthen the rest of the roster. If we end up signing Glennon to a contract similar in value (i.e. $12mil) to Cutler's then we lose. Hoyer will sign, this is his best chance period to show he can be a starter in this league because he knows the offense and he has an outstanding RB.

It will be Hoyer over Glennon. First because of the price, Glennon is asking too much to risk on. Second Hoyer knows this offense and the offense rallys behind him, a rookie can learn more behind Hoyer. Third, Pace raves about Hoyer when he speaks of him

I love how you come up with many excuses for Hoyer but wont admit Cutler had many things stacked against while in Chicago.

Im on the Watson train with you, I think he will be special. He is a winner, leader and big game gamer. Hope you get your way and the Bears draft him.... Hey then you and I can be on the same side for once! lol

I used to make excuses for Cutler too. Until I saw how flawed he was. Hoyer is who we know he is. He's capable of being a Kyle Orton type QB not a Franchise QB, which is what we need right now. And he'll cost a lot less.

I'm glad we agree on Watson and look forward to agreeing more.

I used to make excuses for Cutler too. Until I saw how flawed he was. Hoyer is who we know he is. He's capable of being a Kyle Orton type QB not a Franchise QB, which is what we need right now. And he'll cost a lot less.

I'm glad we agree on Watson and look forward to agreeing more.

It appears Hoyer is going to try to do the same thing that Fitzpatrick did with the Jets last year and try to earn $10mil+. If Glennon can get more than 10mil I can't blame him for trying. I would rather suffer with another alternative and just let him go.

Since Hoyer played for Shanahan in Cleveland they are likely the only real competition for him as far as starting opportunities. In that case he's joining a team at the start of a complete overhaul, whereas we are a bit further along. What we don't know is if the 49ers are going to try to trade for Cousins. If they think they might pay Cousins $20mil+ then there won't be room to pay Hoyer big money, although they might just for a one year deal.

I think we'll offer Hoyer 2 years and we're still his best option. We'll see how long he holds off on signing.

It appears Hoyer is going to try to do the same thing that Fitzpatrick did with the Jets last year and try to earn $10mil+. If Glennon can get more than 10mil I can't blame him for trying. I would rather suffer with another alternative and just let him go.

Since Hoyer played for Shanahan in Cleveland they are likely the only real competition for him as far as starting opportunities. In that case he's joining a team at the start of a complete overhaul, whereas we are a bit further along. What we don't know is if the 49ers are going to try to trade for Cousins. If they think they might pay Cousins $20mil+ then there won't be room to pay Hoyer big money, although they might just for a one year deal.

I think we'll offer Hoyer 2 years and we're still his best option. We'll see how long he holds off on signing.

I think we give Hoyer a 3 year=15 mil contact with 6 guaranteed which is essential a one year deal.

So was Shanahan coaching there when Weeden was starter or when they drafted Manziel?

I was looking at his contract history, especially with Cleveland and Houston. It looks like in 2013 he signed with Cleveland (after being released by Arizona) for a two-year deal for $4 million (?). Going in he was expected to be a backup Weeden. Then in 2015 he was signed by Houston for 2 years $10 million. He "fought" back and forth with Mallett for the starting job and eventually led the Texans to the playoffs where he flopped. Eventually he was released and ended up in Chicago on a one year $2 million deal.

With the situation unsteady in QB with who is going to be the starter does he have that much solid ground to stand on to demand $10 million? Is the market open for that? He knows what potential Shaw has and he's already signed. He also knows chances are that if he's (Hoyer) signed in Chicago he'll only be a placeholder for one maybe two years. If San Francisco is that desperate for a QB why wouldn't they just draft one?

If worse comes to worse and Hoyer acts the turd, then we still have Barkley. I still wouldn't mind giving him another look personally.

So was Shanahan coaching there when Weeden was starter or when they drafted Manziel?

I was looking at his contract history, especially with Cleveland and Houston. It looks like in 2013 he signed with Cleveland (after being released by Arizona) for a two-year deal for $4 million (?). Going in he was expected to be a backup Weeden. Then in 2015 he was signed by Houston for 2 years $10 million. He "fought" back and forth with Mallett for the starting job and eventually led the Texans to the playoffs where he flopped. Eventually he was released and ended up in Chicago on a one year $2 million deal.

With the situation unsteady in QB with who is going to be the starter does he have that much solid ground to stand on to demand $10 million? Is the market open for that? He knows what potential Shaw has and he's already signed. He also knows chances are that if he's (Hoyer) signed in Chicago he'll only be a placeholder for one maybe two years. If San Francisco is that desperate for a QB why wouldn't they just draft one?

If worse comes to worse and Hoyer acts the turd, then we still have Barkley. I still wouldn't mind giving him another look personally.

Shanahan's play calls are reportedly very complex and with some LOS reads (meaning receivers run different routes depending on D alignment). No rookie, especially one who has never called plays, is going to step into that and be successful early on.

Shanahan's play calls are reportedly very complex and with some LOS reads (meaning receivers run different routes depending on D alignment). No rookie, especially one who has never called plays, is going to step into that and be successful early on.

Isn't his style of coaching similar to his dad's? To me Cutler would make more sense(?) since he had some success under Shanny Sr. But perhaps Hoyer makes more sense since he actually witnessed his play calling first hand. Same could be said for Loggains. Guess we'll see.

All the QB needy teams are out of the Glennon sweepatakes except for the Bears. If this is indeed the case, his price should drop considerably. If the Bears sign him for his asking price, then we are in big trouble under this regime. If the Bears sign him to an incentive laden contract, say 8 million with bonuses, then maybe it a worth considering. I still would prefer Hoyer, but wanted to point out Buf, SF, NYJ have stated no interest.

All I care is that they don't give him gaurented money for over 2 years. As I said in the other thread, Saints were high on Glennon coming out of the draft, so this might be Paces guy he wants to put his reputation on.

Still think he has some upside if the OL keeps him upright. He played behind an offensive line that was absolutely horrendous, and then Lovie came in and handed the job to his boy McCown, and then Winston fell in their laps and its hard to pass on him. It was a bad situation for Mike and put in a better situation, I still think he could thrive.

Personally I prefer Hoyer, but I'm willing to give this a shot before poo pooing on the move.

All I care is that they don't give him gaurented money for over 2 years. As I said in the other thread, Saints were high on Glennon coming out of the draft, so this might be Paces guy he wants to put his reputation on.

Still think he has some upside if the OL keeps him upright. He played behind an offensive line that was absolutely horrendous, and then Lovie came in and handed the job to his boy McCown, and then Winston fell in their laps and its hard to pass on him. It was a bad situation for Mike and put in a better situation, I still think he could thrive.

Personally I prefer Hoyer, but I'm willing to give this a shot before poo pooing on the move.

I didnt like the idea at first, but we know what Hoyer is, Glennon has an upside we may not have seen yet.

And most importantly it is new blood instead of looking at the same thing as last year.

I'm curious of this "upside" you speak of.

Isn't that what the Texans said last year?

Upside is giving him the chance to see what he has as a starter. He has a low interception rate. If you listen to people that was with him in Tampa he gets a good review. I do not know enough but there is information out there that gives you an upside. Anthony Becht was on the score and he talked him up and he has been in Tampa for longer than Glennon has been there. Lawence Tye on twitter that played with him has favorable things to say about him. the upside is not coming from me but others that have been around him.

Upside is giving him the chance to see what he has as a starter. He has a low interception rate. If you listen to people that was with him in Tampa he gets a good review. I do not know enough but there is information out there that gives you an upside. Anthony Becht was on the score and he talked him up and he has been in Tampa for longer than Glennon has been there. Lawence Tye on twitter that played with him has favorable things to say about him. the upside is not coming from me but others that have been around him.

Anthony Becht the former Tight End? That would be like having Martellus Bennett weigh in on Cutler...oh wait.

If they sign him (Glennon) to a deal, I hope he does prove his worth as a starter, if only for the short term. Of those who will potentially be on the roster (and depending on who they draft for the position) my money's on Shaw winning the job. :pray

I think when all the smoke clears, it will be Shaw, maybe Hoyer and Trubisky/Watson

Well crap. Hoyer is gone. So IMdO, go with Shaw and a draftee. really, could it be any worse than we have suffered through the last 30 years.