Bears close to signing TE Dion sims

bradjock

I guess Gase liked him so there is that.....

Impending free agent TE Dion Sims says he's been told by Dolphins coach Adam Gase that the team wants him back as a starter.

"He told me he wants me back as a No. 1," Sims said. "I want to be back. I have obviously proven myself to be a starting tight end in the league and want to continue in that role. I’ve done some great things this year and improved a lot." We don't doubt what Sims was told, but Sims isn't suddenly going to be a big-time pass catcher. He has 74 grabs across 56 career games, and averaged a woeful 9.4 yards per catch. He's primarily a blocker. Tight end is a position of need for the Dolphins after Jordan Cameron busted in monumental fashion.

Impending free agent TE Dion Sims says he's been told by Dolphins coach Adam Gase that the team wants him back as a starter.

"He told me he wants me back as a No. 1," Sims said. "I want to be back. I have obviously proven myself to be a starting tight end in the league and want to continue in that role. I’ve done some great things this year and improved a lot." We don't doubt what Sims was told, but Sims isn't suddenly going to be a big-time pass catcher. He has 74 grabs across 56 career games, and averaged a woeful 9.4 yards per catch. He's primarily a blocker. Tight end is a position of need for the Dolphins after Jordan Cameron busted in monumental fashion.

As per someone named Garafolo, as retweeted by Lawrence Holmes, the deal is 3 years 18 million with 10 guaranteed.

We still have over 50 millio to spend.

Meh....this is a strong TE draft and this is just another guy who is a backup. Seems similar to a lot of the other crappy TE's we have. I expect us to draft one, if not two TE's. That said, I now see that we gave him $10M guaranteed, which is just dumb. THis is a loaded TE draft...we suck...this guy isn't dynamic...freaking draft a TE or two. I hope I'm missing out on something, but I'm quite alarmed at how we have gotten worse a day into free agency (not better).

I didn't expect us to blow the doors down either, but we literally have had an awful couple weeks (really going back to us losing Alshon for nothing).

Meh....this is a strong TE draft and this is just another guy who is a backup. Seems similar to a lot of the other crappy TE's we have. I expect us to draft one, if not two TE's. That said, I now see that we gave him $10M guaranteed, which is just dumb. THis is a loaded TE draft...we suck...this guy isn't dynamic...freaking draft a TE or two. I hope I'm missing out on something, but I'm quite alarmed at how we have gotten worse a day into free agency (not better).

I didn't expect us to blow the doors down either, but we literally have had an awful couple weeks (really going back to us losing Alshon for nothing).

I have no issues with the Bears going all defense in the draft except for drafting a QB at some point if they address their offensive needs in free agency.

I am trying to understand how they have gotten worse on day 1 of free agency?

Peace :dabears

I have no issues with the Bears going all defense in the draft except for drafting a QB at some point if they address their offensive needs in free agency.

My view is, we had very few playmakers and now we lost Alshon. We have basically the worse WR corps in the leg and our #1 TE has one healthy season in like 8 years. Cutler is a better QB then Glennon (that said I was never advocating to keep Glennon). Demps move is a good move, but Simms does nothing to make this team better (he is not a difference maker and giving that much money for a "blocking" TE just seems foolish.

And I thought we were planning on drafting a young QB, so the fact that we have actually reduced our offensive playmakers is a scary thing. Everyone talks about Alshon's injuries, but he's played in every game he was eligible to play in for 3 of the last 4 years and the other season he played in 9 games. Guy flat out could play. Even if we just gave him a $1yr 16M deal I'd have been fine with it cause at least it would give any young QB we bring in (i.e., whomever we draft), a good target to develop.

When I look at our offense, we have a great RB and a solid oline (with some upside, albeit, Kyle Long's injury situation is concerning). That is basically it (Kevin White is crap until proven otherwise). When I look at our defense, Floyd is the only guy who looks like he even has a chance to be special. That is freaking alarming. Pace's future won't be decided by this free agency though...it will be decided by how we do in the draft and whether we can land a franchise QB.

Right now, with what we've done, I think it is more likely we win 5 games.

I think it's all about how our team looks going into training camp when everyone is healthy. Losing Alshon was a big blow. Even though it was likely to happen, it still sucks and our team is worse. If you need to win a game, if both are healthy, you take Cutler over Glennon. So essentially our QB position is worse. Our WR position is worse.

In short, it appears we've downgraded at 2 key positions. And we all assume any old safety we sign will suck. And nobody notices the blocking TE. Based on what's happened today, our team is worse.

How have we got worse. Regarding the QB everyone has bitched about Cutler for the last 3 years so the team probably had no option than to move on. When you have the TV media, the press and the fans all united to want Cutler out of town then I suppose the distraction needs to go away for the team to improve. So if you ignore Cutler who realistically has gone signing Glennon is really no worse with what's available and if Garapalo becomes tradeable can we complete with Cleveland and the draft picks they have for 2017 and 2018. So really it is down to Glennon or Hoyer and considering we couldn't get into the end zone with Hoyer I would rather give Glennon a chance but still draft a QB between the 2nd and 4th rounds. In fact I would be drafting a QB either every or every other year from now on.

Regarding wide receiver I will take signing Wheaton because Alison can't stay healthy and the price it would cost to sign him we can strengthen here or in another area of the team.

With Demps I don't think it can be argued the position hasn't improved and if he can play take the ball away and defend passes as previously then maybe the secondary improves. He may also be able to help develop our current corp of safeties.

At tightened we are adding another player to the mix and frankly if he can block he is probably the only tight end on the roster that can do this successfully. This will be an important need this year because I expect us to be a predominately running team because this is our team strength with all the money spent on the interior of the line.

Draft and free agency is really gradually improving a team for it to be sustainable and this is what the best teams do.

I would have liked to sign a top free agent so that we could walk around with a smile after the 3 years we have endured but we need to look with reflection and this is still going to be a long process.

If we target best player available and not reach for a need in 2 years time we could be able to consistently challenge the top teams and maybe start getting to the playoffs. Our biggest need this year is the secondary, wide receiver, tackle, quarterback and if we take

Allen will probably be our pick and regarding his shoulders Alabama doctors stated he received no treatment and it didn't' affect his play. Who has got an injury when they have played this sport for a significant period of time. The Bears doctors will look at this in depth but a lot of evaluators still consider him the best 1 or 2 player in the draft. On ESPN Chicago yesterday he was described as being another Suh and I would take that because our front seven would become scary. Maybe be could play like Justin Smith did for Fangio at the 49ers. I would take that personally.

Just watched some highlight film on this guy and I have to admit, we may have a gem. He actually catches with his hands and runs nice TE routes. Big body that is hard to bring down. Reminds me a little of Marty B, without the attitude.

Far better hands than I expected. With the 2 TE sets we like to run I think he and Miller will be a good combination. Add in Brown who I thought played well late in the season and we might have a good group of TEs across the board.

Far better hands than I expected. With the 2 TE sets we like to run I think he and Miller will be a good combination. Add in Brown who I thought played well late in the season and we might have a good group of TEs across the board.

Also, if Brown is our TE3, we are doing pretty good. Though I am still not happy with the lack of top end FA's, Pace is quietly improving the entire 53-man roster.

Also, if Brown is our TE3, we are doing pretty good. Though I am still not happy with the lack of top end FA's, Pace is quietly improving the entire 53-man roster.

If we look at last year, we signed one larger contract Trevathan and a bunch of middles type contracts. This year our one major sign was Glennon, and now back to improving the roster while being fiscally responsible.

If we look at last year, we signed one larger contract Trevathan and a bunch of middles type contracts. This year our one major sign was Glennon, and now back to improving the roster while being fiscally responsible.

Yeah, but Sims, a blocking TE is now the 10th biggest cap hit on the roster. Hard to believe we couldn't have gotten him for half that. Sims is now the 18th highest paid TE in the league (APY). That is insane.

Yeah, but Sims, a blocking TE is now the 10th biggest cap hit on the roster. Hard to believe we couldn't have gotten him for half that. Sims is now the 18th highest paid TE in the league (APY). That is insane.

I read a article about why we had to make that offer, Miami was also in the bidding and had to go higher to get him. GASE wanted him, sounds like a plus to me. Watch some tape on him, like Grizzy said, may turn into a gem. Similar to Bennett.