Our new LT

Stinger226

Leno has gotten better each year but is still not even average.

the only difference from Leno and Whitehair is the 2" difference in arm length, otherwise they are the same size player.

I looked at last years OT class and the best OT were a little taller and they all had longer arms.

The one closest to the size of Whitehair was T. Decker, his arm length is 1" longer than Whitehair.

So here is what I think will happen, they will stick the best 5 OL on the field at the same time.

The question that needs to be answered is how good is Grasu, if he is healthy and has become a good player, I think they move Whitehair out to LT.

Whitehair played the position in college. He has shown to adapter to any position in the OL. Basically the only difference between him and other qualities LTs is his arm length.

So I think if Grasu excels we move Cody outside, also the drafting of Morgan shows more depth to the inside positions.

I predict our new LT this year is Cody Whitehair.

God, I hope not. You finally solved center for the first time since Kreutz. Just leave Whitehair there and let him continue to excel. Putting the 5 best OL on the field at he same time sounds great, but it didn't work with Long, who was seen as much more projectable to NFL tackle than Whitehair.

God, I hope not. You finally solved center for the first time since Kreutz. Just leave Whitehair there and let him continue to excel. Putting the 5 best OL on the field at he same time sounds great, but it didn't work with Long, who was seen as much more projectable to NFL tackle than Whitehair.

IF Grasu is good, and they view Whitehair as a better LT, why not? NFL teams do that all the time in the players first few years.

I absolutely would move Whitehair outside if Grasu is healthy.

Peace :dabears

Agree. Grasu looked OK and just needed a year to strengthen and learn. He could have been that guy last year but he got hurt. Remember, he was slotted as the starter. Whitehair just showed how awesome he is by being able to adjust to C so quickly.

I don't think Whitehair has the length to succeed outside in the NFL. Could he be better than Leno? Maybe but I prefer not to mess with success. Sitton was ok last year and looked good compared to what we had the year prior. When he was out I didn't see a huge dropoff when Kush was on the field. (Larsen is a different story).

I'm not sure how much longer we'll be paying Sitton $7mil/yr. In photos I saw recently he appeared to be in better shape than last year so we'll see in training camp. It is odd to say this but for the first time in the existence of this message board I think we have good depth on the interior Oline. Sitton/Whitehair/Long backups Kush/Grasu/Morgan. I still like Edison's potential to develop into a good player.

I'm thinking when the final roster is setup we'll be using one of Whitehair, Long, or Morgan as our backup OT. Whoever goes out there will get to know Adam Shaheen pretty good.

We do have plenty of cap space available so if there is a surprise cut at OT we can take advantage of it like we did with Sitton last year.

Agree. Grasu looked OK and just needed a year to strengthen and learn. He could have been that guy last year but he got hurt. Remember, he was slotted as the starter. Whitehair just showed how awesome he is by being able to adjust to C so quickly.

I would like to leave it alone. Cohesion is paramount in OL production. They were decent last year and were 80% different from the prior year. I really think our OL will be on blast this year...

I would move Whitehair to LT for 3 reasons. He never played centre and was awesome there and although he is considered having short arms I would like to see his transition.

Then if he is able to play there it should be a significant improvement at the position. Although Leno Jnr has been serviceable we need better play there. It would also put pressure on Leno Jnr to play better knowing he has serious competition in his contract year.

My biggest reason for him to change is how not playing Grasu at centre affects the improvement of the roster. We can't afford to miss on players especially picks between the 1st and 3rd rounds because these players need to be our starters. By all accounts Grasu is now stronger and was ready to have a good season so he at least needs to have a look in training camp and the preseason.

I read an article earlier in the year about the new oline coach who shuffled the Dolphins line last year after a poor start cutting the starters and trying players at different positions which worked really well for them and might be good for us.

My line would be Whitehair, Sinton, Grasu, Long and Massie. I would have tried Long replace Massie but he has already shown the drop off from him playing guard is too great so he stays there.

I would move Whitehair to LT for 3 reasons. He never played centre and was awesome there and although he is considered having short arms I would like to see his transition.

Then if he is able to play there it should be a significant improvement at the position. Although Leno Jnr has been serviceable we need better play there. It would also put pressure on Leno Jnr to play better knowing he has serious competition in his contract year.

My biggest reason for him to change is how not playing Grasu at centre affects the improvement of the roster. We can't afford to miss on players especially picks between the 1st and 3rd rounds because these players need to be our starters. By all accounts Grasu is now stronger and was ready to have a good season so he at least needs to have a look in training camp and the preseason.

I read an article earlier in the year about the new oline coach who shuffled the Dolphins line last year after a poor start cutting the starters and trying players at different positions which worked really well for them and might be good for us.

My line would be Whitehair, Sinton, Grasu, Long and Massie. I would have tried Long replace Massie but he has already shown the drop off from him playing guard is too great so he stays there.

If this is our best 5 OL , I dont see a problem with it. Whitehair is only in his second year and had no problem with a new position last year. He originally played LT, and the only real drawback is shorter than liked arms. His arm length is similar to T. Decker from Det, so it is doable. I think he is going to be the best OL guy we have, so why not change now instead of implanting him at a position with adequate support.

I would like to leave it alone. Cohesion is paramount in OL production. They were decent last year and were 80% different from the prior year. I really think our OL will be on blast this year...

We've discussed this before, but cohesion among scrubs is pointless cohesion. While Whitehair's move to LT might hinder the cohesion between the G-C-G combo, it will help the overall performance and cohesion among the line. Besides, if he leapfrogs the guard, it's not like the cohesion is lost. He's literally beside the same guard he was beside previously. Very minimal cohesion lost. And it's not like the guys on the OL don't know Grasu.

We've discussed this before, but cohesion among scrubs is pointless cohesion. While Whitehair's move to LT might hinder the cohesion between the G-C-G combo, it will help the overall performance and cohesion among the line. Besides, if he leapfrogs the guard, it's not like the cohesion is lost. He's literally beside the same guard he was beside previously. Very minimal cohesion lost. And it's not like the guys on the OL don't know Grasu.

We have. And you have obviously have never been an OL. Leapfrogging, as you say, is a completely new position using a different side of body with new techniques, duties and trust factors. Believe me, it takes multiple seasons.

It would honestly be better to leave it alone and draft an LT next year.

We have. And you have obviously have never been an OL. Leapfrogging, as you say, is a completely new position using a different side of body with new techniques, duties and trust factors. Believe me, it takes multiple seasons.

You may be right, but he leapfrogged from LT in college to OC in pros. First of all, he can do it, Long was injured most of the year, Sitton had some time off. Dont forget Grasu was the center before the dominoes fell. It was thrown together quickly and worked out. Its not like a 3 year OL that has played together and gelled. It is absolutely the best time to try it.

You may be right, but he leapfrogged from LT in college to OC in pros. First of all, he can do it, Long was injured most of the year, Sitton had some time off. Dont forget Grasu was the center before the dominoes fell. It was thrown together quickly and worked out. Its not like a 3 year OL that has played together and gelled. It is absolutely the best time to try it.

No, it's the worst time. Brand new QB has more to worry about than an OL that is gelling. Not to mention that Trubisky would greatly benefit from it next year. Then, if we do draft our LT next year we only have one piece that needs work. I'll stand corrected if they make the change, but don't anticipate it.

No, it's the worst time. Brand new QB has more to worry about than an OL that is gelling. Not to mention that Trubisky would greatly benefit from it next year. Then, if we do draft our LT next year we only have one piece that needs work. I'll stand corrected if they make the change, but don't anticipate it.

Remember Long missed many games and was not up to par when he did play. Larsen and Kush seen playing time as Sitton missed some games also. So I am missing the 5 players gelling at the end of the year.

Remember Long missed many games and was not up to par when he did play. Larsen and Kush seen playing time as Sitton missed some games also. So I am missing the 5 players gelling at the end of the year.

Me too. Where did you make that up? We did have 5 starters last year that look to be starters this year. The same five guys that got the bulk of the reps when not injured.

I've never played OL, but you're essentially arguing against yourself. If switching is so different, then Whitehair shouldn't have been as good at Center as he was. It certainly didn't take him multiple seasons to impress. He was a novice at the position. And if it takes so long to change the techniques, he'd be better off at LT where he's got multiple years of established reps as a base to build upon.

LT, I think the only option that makes sense, if Grasu is truly healthy and good, is that Whitehair slides into guard long term opposite Kyle Long as Sitton is the LT guy. I suppose Whitehair could also swing out to tackle, but my guess is next year, we will be picking early and probably will be moving down to accumulate some picks and with that, we might address one of the tackle positions.

LT, I think the only option that makes sense, if Grasu is truly healthy and good, is that Whitehair slides into guard long term opposite Kyle Long as Sitton is the LT guy. I suppose Whitehair could also swing out to tackle, but my guess is next year, we will be picking early and probably will be moving down to accumulate some picks and with that, we might address one of the tackle positions.

That was the assumption by most this year.

I've never played OL, but you're essentially arguing against yourself. If switching is so different, then Whitehair shouldn't have been as good at Center as he was. It certainly didn't take him multiple seasons to impress. He was a novice at the position. And if it takes so long to change the techniques, he'd be better off at LT where he's got multiple years of established reps as a base to build upon.

Absolutely not arguing against myself. If you think they didn't dummy things down a little, you are sadly mistaken. He played well, but what suffered as a result of limitations as a unit? It trickles all the way to what plays are able to be called. It goes way deeper than that. OL have their own language so they can communicate on the field. That stuff takes time. They don't have Rosetta Stone for that.

Absolutely not arguing against myself. If you think they didn't dummy things down a little, you are sadly mistaken. He played well, but what suffered as a result of limitations as a unit? It trickles all the way to what plays are able to be called. It goes way deeper than that. OL have their own language so they can communicate on the field. That stuff takes time. They don't have Rosetta Stone for that.

But if they dummied it down and Whitehair dominated at a position unfamiliar to him, why couldn't they do the same for him at OT? After all, that's he position he is much more familiar with, and where he showed enough talent to be drafted relatively highly. I get what you're saying, but given that he went from never really playing center and performing the way he did, I don't see why similar results (i.e. Stellar performance) can't be had if he moves to his original OT position. And even if there is a step down, he will still be the best OT on the team.

:banghead :bringit

But if they dummied it down and Whitehair dominated at a position unfamiliar to him, why couldn't they do the same for him at OT? After all, that's he position he is much more familiar with, and where he showed enough talent to be drafted relatively highly. I get what you're saying, but given that he went from never really playing center and performing the way he did, I don't see why similar results (i.e. Stellar performance) can't be had if he moves to his original OT position. And even if there is a step down, he will still be the best OT on the team.

:banghead

:banghead :bringit

:banghead

I'm really trying to understand your point. But it doesn't make sense.

You say changing OL positions is incredibly hard. I'm fine with that. But if it's so hard, how did Whitehair do so well? Either he doesn't think it's very hard, or he's amazing and could turn into a multi-year, bowl center. But if he DID think it was hard, and he did that well at a position that is secondary or tertiary for him, then imagine how well he'd do at his natural position?

Honestly, where is the flaw in that logic?