Is a change of pace back needed?

jason

Random thought on Tarik Cohen (like him, but I think he was a reach) and other "change of pace" backs.

Are they needed?

I get that each RB has their own style, flavor, and advantage. Some may be better at catching out of the backfield than others. Some are better going between the tackles.

Given Howard's success last year, wouldn't it be better to just get a Howard clone and pound the opposing defense all game? Regardless of which RB is in there, the opponent really doesn't know what to do, or can't take a break. I mean, if Howard fits so well, why not a guy who runs just like him?

It's simply one more different type of weapon that can be used...

I'd say he could be a much stronger threat coming out of the backfield...which is handy on 3rd and longs when you don't want to put up a risky pass.

Random thought on Tarik Cohen (like him, but I think he was a reach) and other "change of pace" backs.

Are they needed?

I get that each RB has their own style, flavor, and advantage. Some may be better at catching out of the backfield than others. Some are better going between the tackles.

Given Howard's success last year, wouldn't it be better to just get a Howard clone and pound the opposing defense all game? Regardless of which RB is in there, the opponent really doesn't know what to do, or can't take a break. I mean, if Howard fits so well, why not a guy who runs just like him?

Are they needed?

I get your point, but if your team is not diverse in talent, then you become a one trick pony.

Are they needed?

I could see a player like Forte more as a 'change of pace' back especially to Howard's style of running. Someone who's a bit more finesse and able to catch out of the backfield. I think that was/is their intent with Langford. It so far hasn't worked. But there's still time. Besides that, we know Fox is a big proponent of RBC so I expect he'll want to get more folks involved in the backfield.

As much a fan as I am of true 'north/south' running those guys don't generally last all that long. And if they get injured, especially down low, things start to deteriorate quickly after that.

I get your point, but if your team is not diverse in talent, then you become a one trick pony.

Yep...multiple weapons / styles allows you to attack multiple types of defenses / teams. With a young QB, I think we need to surround him with as much weapons as possible, so I truly hope our TE becomes a beast, Howard continues to be awesome, this rookie back becomes a poor man Sproles and that White / Meredith emerge as legit #1/#2 wideouts. Oh and that MT becomes a true legend in Chicago!!! A man can dream, can't he!!!

Yep...multiple weapons / styles allows you to attack multiple types of defenses / teams. With a young QB, I think we need to surround him with as much weapons as possible, so I truly hope our TE becomes a beast, Howard continues to be awesome, this rookie back becomes a poor man Sproles and that White / Meredith emerge as legit #1/#2 wideouts. Oh and that MT becomes a true legend in Chicago!!! A man can dream, can't he!!!

Pass me some of that Kool aid brother

I could see a player like Forte more as a 'change of pace' back especially to Howard's style of running. Someone who's a bit more finesse and able to catch out of the backfield. I think that was/is their intent with Langford. It so far hasn't worked. But there's still time. Besides that, we know Fox is a big proponent of RBC so I expect he'll want to get more folks involved in the backfield.

As much a fan as I am of true 'north/south' running those guys don't generally last all that long. And if they get injured, especially down low, things start to deteriorate quickly after that.

You've hit on the major reasons I posted the question. I'm a huge fan of north-south guys, they don't last long, and Fox is a committee guy.

Howard may not be great out of the backfield catching passes, but what's broke may not need to be fixed. What's done is done with Cohen, but I was thinking about the question this morning and believe there is merit to it.

I for the most recent years would get pissed when I would see Forte and other backs in the league take themselves out of games after a long gain when earlier in my life while watching games the backs finished the deal, Howard is like these newer backs and when you watched them try and throw him a screen pass , it was not pretty. True he was not asked to do much in college but in most cases a back is what he is coming out of college, see Adrian Petersen. Are we truly satisfied with Howard's backups? Carey hasn't shown much and Langford regressed last year and I still like the idea of trying to convert him to a WR. I had my eyes on 2 backs for the Bears in this draft Alvin Kamara Tenn. and Kareem Hunt Toledo. Cohen is the same type of back just shorter. For those who are projecting him to the return game, he says he never did it but practiced it everyday. That doesn't sound like he has a leg up on Carey or Langford in that regard and what else is a FBS player supposed to say? Ilike what this pick says to 1 or both of the other 2 backs! You're on notice, bring it!

A change of pace back is not really a need.....but just think of all the long runs Howard made last year and ran out of gas. I think if that was Cohen on the same runs they would have been touchdowns because this guy has so many moves and cut backs.

You've hit on the major reasons I posted the question. I'm a huge fan of north-south guys, they don't last long, and Fox is a committee guy.

Howard may not be great out of the backfield catching passes, but what's broke may not need to be fixed. What's done is done with Cohen, but I was thinking about the question this morning and believe there is merit to it.

Do not be surprised if you see both Howard and Cohen on the field at the same time, maybe split out as the slot WR. There is multiple ways we can use him, he will not be just a change of place guy.

I was on board saying we needed to draft a RB for months. Cohen is not what I had in mind. I figured we'd look for someone who could share the load better with Howard simply because Langford didn't impress me last year. If the new RB could also handle some PR/KR that would be great too. Although his skill set is a good fit for it, Cohen hasn't done the PR/KR stuff so that's an unknown. At this point he's strictly a change of pace back who can't stay in the to block. He's a very good WR so my hope is that he can learn to take some snaps as a slot WR.

When we get down to the end of the roster having someone like Cohen versus either Carey (4.7 forty and can't catch well), or Daniel Braverman, then Cohen offers a lot more in the open field than either. In the past there was often the question of do we keep 4 RBs or the extra 6th WR. Cohen might be one of both which frees up a roster spot for another position group.

I think its all about his ability in the passing game. If its 3rd and say 3+, would you rather have Howard, who isn't all that great catching the ball out there, or Cohen who looks like he can be a Sproles type back.

Double-edged sword.

If Howard is in there, the defense has to be worried about a legit, up the middle, power run that easily goes for 3-4 yards if they're not prepared to be stout against the run. That's not a real concern with Cohen. And if Cohen is in there, the defense has to be prepared to defend an exterior run as well as a quick pass to him, which isn't a huge concern with Howard.