Head Coach Rumors

Chitownhustla

He was a douche 7 years ago. Maybe being humiliated changed him? Sometimes it takes that to grow up. I don't think the Bears are going that way, so we will most likely be safe.

True, he may have changed but I going by what I remembered when he was here in Denver where I have lived since graduating college in 2000. Hopefully the article I just read is true and he did learn how to open up and build sincerel relationships.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing so far the majority of those who don't want McDaniels here is because of mistakes he made during his 1st time coaching. I thought we lived in a society of 2nd chances? I know we all want that perfect coach who doesn't have any blemish on his resume and has called plays before for several yrs and someone who never makes mistakes. Can we just stop. That candidate doesn't exist. If this is your only reason for not wanting him I don't see it as viable excuse because it's a mistake he made and he spent so far 7 yrs learn from it. Now personally I don't want him and it's got nothing to do with Denver. I just don't see his offense as the reason they succeed out in NE. I personally think it's got everything to do with a certain 40 yr old QB who is still performing at an MVP type level. Brady has made pedestrian targets look damn good his entire career. That's not McDaniels doing. That's Brady. The other thing is right now McDaniels can probably pick any job he wants as he's the top guy and don't see our job as the hottest job available so I honestly don't think he chooses us.

I think we are looking at top 3 guys of shurmur, defilippo and maybe Nagy coming here

Stinker, this is all opinionated conjecture on my part. You know, the type of talk you confuse for “back-peddling”? Which you never did explain.

Like I said before, you never know someone’s motivation. And with Gruden’s new deal at $10 million/year the bar has been re-set. You don’t think others will take notice?

Do you see the Bears paying 10 mil a year for a HC?

Do you see the Bears paying 10 mil a year for a HC?

Not any time soon at least. But with gruden's deal I bet we start seeing more of those. Especially with teams that don't care so much about the $ amount. As there is no salary cap for coaches. With the raiders move to Vegas I'm guessing the move to gruden alone will bring in that kind of cash although the play on the field may not be successful

I’m with TD on this. None of the names so far really make me go WOW. The one dominant name, McDaniels, is a simple shyster (as Lucky so eloquently pointed out). I’m more impressed with some of the college names who are not candidates (yes like Shaw). And wonder if there isn’t someone else out there in the college ranks worth considering? If the Bears can manage to keep Fangio around I think it would be a near perfect scenario of an up and coming offensive mind paired with the established, successful, grizzled old defensive mind. If not Shaw, maybe Dabo Sweeney?

*edit: thank you Connor, forgot about Toub. I do like him too.

Have you read anywhere that Shaw or Dabo are looking to make a jump to the NFL? Ive never seen either express any interest. Dabo seems to be very happy at Clemson, he has a really good thing going there right now. Shaw on the other hand will always have an uphill battle trying to win a NC at Stanford. Shaw I could see making a move (not sure if its to the NFL tho), Dabo not so much.

Keeping Fangio would be best case scenario. I would hate to lose all that we gained with having him. I have a feeling if we hired Fangio as HC, he would possibly hire Mike McCoy as OC. How would Bear fans feel about that? I don't think we would have to worry about him leaving as a HC for a few years. That is only if he can transform the offense into a juggernaut.

Fangio and McCoy would be a good combo. After Pace does all of this interviews maybe the Fangio McCoy combo would be the best option. Hopefully we find out soon.

Sounds like he just might be the Bears front runner. He would try and bring Mike Groh WR coach and Phillip Daniels DL coach with him. The best part is he would have Fangio as his DC. This may be the what tips the scales.

THE Philip Daniels returning to Chicago?

I'm not that high on DeFilippo. A guy who hasn't done much more than QB coach making a jump all the way to HC scares me a bit. Shurmur OTOH has been there done that and likely can improve. I also think he'll want little to do with the defense and prefer a veteran DC, possibly even Vic, to handle things on that side.

With Flip I'd be most interested in hearing what he'd do differently with the Eagles. What could make Wentz even better?

I feel much the same way about Nagy. Hasn't really held that much responsibility. Can he handle the organizing the entire team' structure?

McDaniels is the outsider. He's not my first candidate but he could well end up as Pace's.

-----------------------------------

Among who we're interviewing I prefer Shurmur with DeFilippo as his OC. I expect Shurmur has someone else in mind for OC. With that out there, I also want to say that I prefer to become like the Steelers. They always find a good HC who is young and can stay with them for 10-15years. That's not likely Shurmer.

I hate to use anything from this site, but this is what some of you may be referencing. This is what I was hopeful for all along.

John DeFilippo Nails Interview

DeFilippo is an interesting candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFilippo

Youngstown Ohio guy. Father was the OC at Youngstown. Anyone remember the Browns 2015 offense? He was the OC there, let go when they fired their HC at the end of the year.

DeFilippo is an interesting candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFilippo

Youngstown Ohio guy. Father was the OC at Youngstown. Anyone remember the Browns 2015 offense? He was the OC there, let go when they fired their HC at the end of the year.

Yes. He had 3 very bad QBs who combined for 4200 yds I think it was

Are me to the list against McDaniels. I'm simply not sure what his impact is on that offense. According to many, Bilechick has his hand in everything and runs his team like a cult. I also see the great Tom Brady struggle when Gronk is not in the lineup. There is only one Gronk on earth. Lastly the Patriot way works because of Belichick and Brady. I don't see McDaniels being that charismatic.

I'm seeing so far the majority of those who don't want McDaniels here is because of mistakes he made during his 1st time coaching. I thought we lived in a society of 2nd chances? I know we all want that perfect coach who doesn't have any blemish on his resume and has called plays before for several yrs and someone who never makes mistakes. Can we just stop. That candidate doesn't exist. If this is your only reason for not wanting him I don't see it as viable excuse because it's a mistake he made and he spent so far 7 yrs learn from it. Now personally I don't want him and it's got nothing to do with Denver. I just don't see his offense as the reason they succeed out in NE. I personally think it's got everything to do with a certain 40 yr old QB who is still performing at an MVP type level. Brady has made pedestrian targets look damn good his entire career. That's not McDaniels doing. That's Brady. The other thing is right now McDaniels can probably pick any job he wants as he's the top guy and don't see our job as the hottest job available so I honestly don't think he chooses us.

I think we are looking at top 3 guys of shurmur, defilippo and maybe Nagy coming here

I think you need to read Lucky’s take on McDaniels. There enough questions there to not want him.

I think you need to read Lucky’s take on McDaniels. There enough questions there to not want him.

Personally I don't go getting all wrapped up in all the cheating scandals. What's the old saying. "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying" or something like that. But honestly speaking I don't get into all of that. I think all the greats try to cheat in 1 way or another. It's just that the best no how to not get caught

Personally I don't go getting all wrapped up in all the cheating scandals. What's the old saying. "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying" or something like that. But honestly speaking I don't get into all of that. I think all the greats try to cheat in 1 way or another. It's just that the best no how to not get caught

We all have some favorite for various reasons, it makes us smarter if were right, but the truth is , IDC who it is as long as we start winning. I think Shumar is the safest bet. He has the most experience and knows the value of D. Nagy and DeP bring the offensive energy. MeDaniel may do well but no one has successed from the Bel tree.

I just want to have a winner, no one knows for sure.

Grizzly keeps takes shots but I don't let him bother me any more . I realize he has a bone problem.

We all have some favorite for various reasons, it makes us smarter if were right, but the truth is , IDC who it is as long as we start winning. I think Shumar is the safest bet. He has the most experience and knows the value of D. Nagy and DeP bring the offensive energy. MeDaniel may do well but no one has successed from the Bel tree.

I just want to have a winner, no one knows for sure.

All of this is sound reasoning. I’m in agreement with most of what you say here...however my response to you is measured...

Grizzly keeps takes shots but I don't let him bother me any more . I realize he has a bone problem.

Because you keep making comments like this; “backpedaling” etc: then when I ask you to explain it you ignore it. I’ll ask again, what or who am I “tak[ing] shots” at? And what exactly is a “bone problem” in this context? Last I checked I haven’t been diagnosed with osteoporosis although I probably have arthritis.

All of this is sound reasoning. I’m in agreement with most of what you say here...however my response to you is measured...

Because you keep making comments like this; “backpedaling” etc: then when I ask you to explain it you ignore it. I’ll ask again, what or who am I “tak[ing] shots” at? And what exactly is a “bone problem” in this context? Last I checked I haven’t been diagnosed with osteoporosis although I probably have arthritis.

Let me see, phyco plumber, stinker, unless you have disjointed sense of affection. I'm in Colombia for the month so I was not going to play with you but I have the time I will go thru some posts and give you examples of (backpedaling).

He should take the colts. Hopefully. Part of me just doesn't want him here

If Andrew Luck is 100% it’s a no brainer. I would think The Colts owner would be a big turn off for any coach.

Couple of reasons I could get excited about McDaniels

1. He’s learned from the best

2. He’s worked with the best

3. He failed once, hoping he learned from it

4. Prepared for and coached a lot of playoff games and SB’s, experience you can’t buy

5. Hoping that Sooner or later someone from the Pats tree works out

6. Should be able to bring some good coaches with him.

The interviews are done. I don't think we're waiting around as we've done in years past.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/whe...lippo-Ryan-Pace

I think Mullin is right. Pace dragged Ted and George all over the country so he wouldn't have to bring people in for a second interview to get ownership approval. I realize this made lots of folks very unhappy but ownership has a say in who represents them so I have no problem with them meeting these candidates. If I owned a football team I'd want to protect my $1B-$2B investment and know which HC will become the face of my franchise.

I hope they weren't involved in the entire interview process, just a portion of it, and that their involvement is more to say Nay vs. Yay. Meaning they might rule out a candidate like McDaniels if they still feel he's going to act like a schmuck again. Despite all the criticisms of them, the McCaskey's, especially Virginia, want to know that people in the organization are being treated right. We've had multiple posts on this board expressing similar reservations about McDaniels.

The back story here is that Pace really wants Fangio to stay. He's made that clear both through interviewing him for the HC job, despite no other teams having him on their radar, and by refusing to the let the Bengals interview him for their DC opening. That last part is interesting because Fangio is a FA on Tue. This all makes me think that if Fangio fits with the new HC, Pace will pay him big money to stay.

That means a HC decision could be made tonight. A phone call/offer made tomorrow morning to the candidate he selects. That gives the new HC time to interview Fangio and see if they can work together. They can't force Fangio to stay since he can leave on Tue so most likely both parties (Pace/Fangio) have spoken about this openly. Keep in mind back in Nov Fangio said he really wanted to stay with the organization. He didn't say he wanted Fox and Co. to stay. All is playing out this way especially with the heavy focus on offense-oriented coaches.

Who is our new Head Coach?

The interviews are done. I don't think we're waiting around as we've done in years past.

I think Mullin is right. Pace dragged Ted and George all over the country so he wouldn't have to bring people in for a second interview to get ownership approval. I realize this made lots of folks very unhappy but ownership has a say in who represents them so I have no problem with them meeting these candidates. If I owned a football team I'd want to protect my $1B-$2B investment and know which HC will become the face of my franchise.

I hope they weren't involved in the entire interview process, just a portion of it, and that their involvement is more to say Nay vs. Yay. Meaning they might rule out a candidate like McDaniels if they still feel he's going to act like a schmuck again. Despite all the criticisms of them, the McCaskey's, especially Virginia, want to know that people in the organization are being treated right. We've had multiple posts on this board expressing similar reservations about McDaniels.

The back story here is that Pace really wants Fangio to stay. He's made that clear both through interviewing him for the HC job, despite no other teams having him on their radar, and by refusing to the let the Bengals interview him for their DC opening. That last part is interesting because Fangio is a FA on Tue. This all makes me think that if Fangio fits with the new HC, Pace will pay him big money to stay.

That means a HC decision could be made tonight. A phone call/offer made tomorrow morning to the candidate he selects. That gives the new HC time to interview Fangio and see if they can work together. They can't force Fangio to stay since he can leave on Tue so most likely both parties (Pace/Fangio) have spoken about this openly. Keep in mind back in Nov Fangio said he really wanted to stay with the organization. He didn't say he wanted Fox and Co. to stay. All is playing out this way especially with the heavy focus on offense-oriented coaches.

Great post, I think you are right. The only reason to block Fangio from interviewing is with hopes of hiring your new HC and keeping him on, it makes complete sense.

Problem is that out of everyone we have interviewed the only person that we can actually announce the hiring of prior to Fangio becoming a FA is Nagy