Head Coach Rumors

Chitownhustla

https://www.thescore.com/news/1459869

Pace interviewed Vikes DC.

From a little reading I found that Zimmer calls all of the Defensive plays, that is a red flag if you ask me. I really dont know much about this guy other than his D was great this year.

I think the Bears should hire Urlacher as the HC, Briggs as the OC and because they both played for Lovie they are connected to Harbaugh who knows Shaw and may know Fangio. So Fangio will stay on as the DC because of prior connection listed.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Harbaugh is paid roughly $9 million per year (last year anyhow) where the highest paid NFL coach (Carroll) is just north of $8 million. Yet Harbaugh is discussed as a potential HC not just on this ESPN article but elsewhere. No one knows what a person’s motivation is until they’re put in the spot.

I agree with you though that if anything, Shaw would be an HC.

Shaw is not going anywhere no matter how much you try to push a point. He's not even interviewing for jobs, that may be a clue.

If this is all you can say about a Defensive Coordinator I'd never hire him. Wouldn't even interview him to be honest. In one sentence Zimmer says he does everything but in the next he makes it clear he's not doing everything. Who else is leading some of those defensive meetings? In Zimmer's eyes he's not even capable of coming up with the defensive game plan.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...40-6c218a102a10

"While Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer calls the defensive plays, Zimmer recently said that Edwards "does everything other than call the game on Sunday."

"George does everything," Zimmer said last week during a conference call with Chicago reporters in advance of the season finale between the Bears and Vikings. "He helps with the game plan. He runs a lot of the defensive meetings. Him and I sit down and talk about all the different things that are going on. He studies the game just like he's calling the game."

If this is all you can say about a Defensive Coordinator I'd never hire him. Wouldn't even interview him to be honest. In one sentence Zimmer says he does everything but in the next he makes it clear he's not doing everything. Who else is leading some of those defensive meetings? In Zimmer's eyes he's not even capable of coming up with the defensive game plan.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1...40-6c218a102a10

"While Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer calls the defensive plays, Zimmer recently said that Edwards "does everything other than call the game on Sunday."

"George does everything," Zimmer said last week during a conference call with Chicago reporters in advance of the season finale between the Bears and Vikings. "He helps with the game plan. He runs a lot of the defensive meetings. Him and I sit down and talk about all the different things that are going on. He studies the game just like he's calling the game."

That's pretty bad. Maybe it was just to satisfy the Rooney rule then

That's pretty bad. Maybe it was just to satisfy the Rooney rule then

Its got Rooney Rule written all over it.

Pace has said he wants to act fast, there are a lot of teams going after the same coaches. The only other coach the Bears have interest in that meets the Rooney rule is Wilks from NC. He cant interview him this because of the their playoff game. Pace is interviewing Shurmur and McDaniels (if they can get there) today, DeFilippo on sunday.

If Pace has a favorite from the 3 guys being interviewed this weekend it makes total sense to satisfy the Rooney rule before. Interview your guys and make the hire. Don't let another team sign your guy before you can.

Shaw is not going anywhere no matter how much you try to push a point. He's not even interviewing for jobs, that may be a clue.

Fantasy land. Guy reads that Shaw is a good coach, and throws it out there as an option. There is no documented interest level, just the thought that he is a good coach at the college level and may be a good coach at the NFL level.

Its got Rooney Rule written all over it.

Pace has said he wants to act fast, there are a lot of teams going after the same coaches. The only other coach the Bears have interest in that meets the Rooney rule is Wilks from NC. He cant interview him this because of the their playoff game. Pace is interviewing Shurmur and McDaniels (if they can get there) today, DeFilippo on sunday.

If Pace has a favorite from the 3 guys being interviewed this weekend it makes total sense to satisfy the Rooney rule before. Interview your guys and make the hire. Don't let another team sign your guy before you can.

1 problem with moving fast is you still can't officially hire the guy until team is eliminated from playoffs. So with all 3 in shurmur, McDaniels and defilippo would mean not until after next weekend. Just curious as I don't know but if we come to an agreement with 1 of them is there anything that could prevent another team from swooping in last minute and getting him. Or is it more like a gentleman's agreement you don't do something shady like that

1 problem with moving fast is you still can't officially hire the guy until team is eliminated from playoffs. So with all 3 in shurmur, McDaniels and defilippo would mean not until after next weekend. Just curious as I don't know but if we come to an agreement with 1 of them is there anything that could prevent another team from swooping in last minute and getting him. Or is it more like a gentleman's agreement you don't do something shady like that

I'm not sure how that works, I'm sure there is a unwritten code with it. But I do remember the Bears screwing up a hire in the 90's, I think the guys name was McGinnis. The Bears released that they were hiring him too early. That pissed him off so he didn't sign the contract.

I'm not sure how that works, I'm sure there is a unwritten code with it. But I do remember the Bears screwing up a hire in the 90's, I think the guys name was McGinnis. The Bears released that they were hiring him too early. That pissed him off so he didn't sign the contract.

Yeah I remember that

If I remember correctly, McCaskey also was wanting to make the assistant coaches contracts not guaranteed but he wanted that kept between McGinnis and him. I just remember McGinnis and his wife walking through the airport on the way back to Arizona and his wife was balling her eyes out. I wrote a letter to Viriginia McCaskey about how awful it looked for the organization but I never heard back from them.

Peace :dabears

Fantasy land. Guy reads that Shaw is a good coach, and throws it out there as an option. There is no documented interest level, just the thought that he is a good coach at the college level and may be a good coach at the NFL level.

You poor small handed lout. Once again your lack of reading comprehension rears it’s ugly head. It wasn’t me that brought up the idea. Someone else posted the link, I commented on it. As usual you hastily pounced on the opportunity to avenge your poor choice in QB support.

I see where Pat Shurmur was interviewed by Pace. After reading the article I must admit I would not be upset if they hired him as HC, although I would still prefer the QB coach from Philly.

Pace Interviews Pat Shurmer, OC MN, for HC Position

Yeah I wouldn't be upset about shurmur. The work he's done this yr with basically a 3rd string qb and a backup QB is very impressive

I see where Pat Shurmur was interviewed by Pace. After reading the article I must admit I would not be upset if they hired him as HC, although I would still prefer the QB coach from Philly.

Pace Interviews Pat Shurmer, OC MN, for HC Position

Always the ‘devils advocate’ I have to ask; if the Philly QB coach is so great why is Nick Foles looking like such hot garbage? Did this guy focus solely on Wentz and not have time to work with Foles? It’s not like Foles is a ‘wet behind the ear’ walk on. He’s been around awhile AND done well before...playing for Philly. (Interestingly enough it was while Shurmur was the QB coach or OC for Philly at the time).

Secondly; Shurmur has had a decent past as coach of various levels. He’s credited with working with and debeloping young talent; McNabb, Bradford, Foles and Koy Detmer. But not many seem to give him credit for sustaining that mentorship beyond their first or second year. Case in point; and when he was Cleveland’s HC, what happened to Detmer after that first year breakout? And why did Shurmur get canned after those short 2 years? I’m of the opinion that how well Keenum has played is more Keenum than coaching. If you recall he came out like gangbusters last year for the Rams...until he sputtered. What we see this year could be more self-motivation combined with a better surrounding.

That being said; would he (Shurmur) be a great coach for Trubisky? Sounds like it. What would be a question is how would he continue to develop Trubisky beyond that first or second year? And more importantly, his plan for the defense?

Well technically they can't interview will until next week. His team plays this weekend in the playoffs whereas the Minnesota guys and McDaniels don't play this weekend. So they can interview. Even after interviewing they can't announce any hiring any after that person's team has been eliminated from the playoffs or until after the Superbowl

That would not stop the Bears from submitting a formal request to interview him. Especially if he was high on their list, the first thing they'd want to do is let him know of their interest.

Always the ‘devils advocate’ I have to ask; if the Philly QB coach is so great why is Nick Foles looking like such hot garbage? Did this guy focus solely on Wentz and not have time to work with Foles? It’s not like Foles is a ‘wet behind the ear’ walk on. He’s been around awhile AND done well before...playing for Philly. (Interestingly enough it was while Shurmur was the QB coach or OC for Philly at the time).

Secondly; Shurmur has had a decent past as coach of various levels. He’s credited with working with and debeloping young talent; McNabb, Bradford, Foles and Koy Detmer. But not many seem to give him credit for sustaining that mentorship beyond their first or second year. Case in point; and when he was Cleveland’s HC, what happened to Detmer after that first year breakout? And why did Shurmur get canned after those short 2 years? I’m of the opinion that how well Keenum has played is more Keenum than coaching. If you recall he came out like gangbusters last year for the Rams...until he sputtered. What we see this year could be more self-motivation combined with a better surrounding.

That being said; would he (Shurmur) be a great coach for Trubisky? Sounds like it. What would be a question is how would he continue to develop Trubisky beyond that first or second year? And more importantly, his plan for the defense?

You should question DeFilippo. Carson Wentz only has a 60% completion rate, Foles at 56.4%. There is nothing elite about any of that. This is with the #1a WR Alshon Jeffrey on board. The difference you see in the two in terms of game performance is that Wentz can run and it bails out the offense quite a bit. I like that about Trubisky too.

In contrast under Shurmur Case Keenum has a 67.6% rate with his weak arm, Bradford had a 74.4% rate in his small sample size.

I like what DeFilippo says when he details the Eagles' plays but what I'm more interested in is the guy who knows which plays to call and when against a defense. From the outside looking in it appears that Shurmur, McDaniels, and possibly Nagy would all have an advantage over DeFilippo.

You should question DeFilippo. Carson Wentz only has a 60% completion rate, Foles at 56.4%. There is nothing elite about any of that. This is with the #1a WR Alshon Jeffrey on board. The difference you see in the two in terms of game performance is that Wentz can run and it bails out the offense quite a bit. I like that about Trubisky too.

In contrast under Shurmur Case Keenum has a 67.6% rate with his weak arm, Bradford had a 74.4% rate in his small sample size.

I like what DeFilippo says when he details the Eagles' plays but what I'm more interested in is the guy who knows which plays to call and when against a defense. From the outside looking in it appears that Shurmur, McDaniels, and possibly Nagy would all have an advantage over DeFilippo.

And in my opinion, that is why it is impossible to know for sure about DeFillippo

DeFillippo is a QB coach who many think will make a good OC

He is suppose to be an excellent QB guru, developing them

But, as you mentioned, the success of a QB also requires an OC who knows which plays to call and when against a defense.

In Philly, DeFillippo did not have the chance to do that, so if he did, would he have done a better job than Philly's current OC and therefore give Wentz a chance to have a higher completion % and even greater success?

Let's face it, hiring a HC is a crap shoot.

There have been many hired by teams that I thought would be great and failed, and vica versa

You poor small handed lout. Once again your lack of reading comprehension rears it’s ugly head. It wasn’t me that brought up the idea. Someone else posted the link, I commented on it. As usual you hastily pounced on the opportunity to avenge your poor choice in QB support.

Wrong again Lavar. I give zero fucks about Cutler. I argued that you could win with him and the right pieces around him. I was wrong, a year later....Cutler who???? As for calling out your stupid ass posts, its fun. Has nothing to do with Cutler. You have a complex about Cutler, may want to see someone about it.

To get back on topic, who do you want the Bears to hire to be the HC?

With all the Names being throw out there and interviews scheduled I would like to know who wants who. Ill start with my choices.

My Top 2

McDaniels

Shurmur

Some of my reasons, both Offensive guys. Both have been HC's. Banking on the fact that they learned from their mistakes and will correct them.

I lean towards McDaniels due to being apart of the Pat's organization. They have won for so long sooner or later one of the guys leaving the Belichick tree will figure it out!

I also am intrigued by Patrica from NE as well. I have not done a ton of research on him, planning on reading up on him this weekend.

Why is it almost all of your posts confuse people on your opinion. You ever notice you back peddling all the time ? Maybe you should get a ghost writer to help with your thoughts?

Why is it almost all of your posts confuse people on your opinion. You ever notice you back peddling all the time ? Maybe you should get a ghost writer to help with your thoughts?

I was wondering how long it would take you to spout off psycho-plumber. Please explain how I’ve back-pedaled. And give me a few examples of where I’ve “confused people”? Unless of course you’re referring to Chitown. We’ve established he has a reading and comprehension disorder so exclude him. .

Wrong again Lavar. I give zero fucks about Cutler. I argued that you could win with him and the right pieces around him. I was wrong, a year later....Cutler who???? As for calling out your stupid ass posts, its fun. Has nothing to do with Cutler. You have a complex about Cutler, may want to see someone about it.

To get back on topic, who do you want the Bears to hire to be the HC?

Your daughter Ivanka.