Coaching staff

bowlingtwig

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is amazing news for multiple reasons.

1. He's a stud.

2. He was in charge of the OL the only time it was really good in the last 20 years.

3. He knows better than anyone where McGlinchey should be slotted in the draft.

Excellent hire for the Bears.

EDIT:

Just being silly, and I know it's impossible, but how I would love to see the Bears get Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Whoa.

"Harry Hiestand is returning to the NFL to coach the Chicago Bears' offensive line, according to multiple reports. Hiestand was on the coaching staff the last time the Bears went to the Super Bowl. He coached for the last six years at Notre Dame, where his offensive line produced to All-Americans and won the Joe Moore Award this past"

from espn

This is amazing news for multiple reasons.

1. He's a stud.

2. He was in charge of the OL the only time it was really good in the last 20 years.

3. He knows better than anyone where McGlinchey should be slotted in the draft.

Excellent hire for the Bears.

EDIT:

Just being silly, and I know it's impossible, but how I would love to see the Bears get Quenton Nelson and Mike McGlinchey. Whoa.

Great hire, even though I will miss him at my ND. First thought, how much can he improve what we already have? Will he keep the guys we have in place, like Whitehair at C or G. Sitton can also play C and we have a 3rd pick in Grasu, so it would be nice to see Grasu take hold and have Sitton to backup C/G along with Kush at G. That leaves me at OT, Leno is signed and Massie entering his final year. McGlinchey would be perfect to replace Massie for a year or two and eventually replace Leno if he doesn't improve. I don't feel McGlinchey is worthy at 8, so we can move down and acquire a 2nd or 3rd and fill other dire needs OLB, WR, and CB. As much as I would love Nelson, it could hurt our growth by taking a bpa at a position we have little need.

Browns always had pretty good special teams, didn't they? Or am I mistaken...didn't Tabor spend most of the past 5 or so years as Browns special teams coordinator?

Yes your right. He's been the browns SP coordinator since 2012 season and during that time the browns have always had a string special teams. He's been the 1 constant out there amongst all the turnover they have seen

Yes your right. He's been the browns SP coordinator since 2012 season and during that time the browns have always had a string special teams. He's been the 1 constant out there amongst all the turnover they have seen

Tabor learned under Toub and after Nagy talked to Toub about the job, he recommended him for the job. He still thinks he's going to get a HC job.

It was just announced that mark helfrich the ducks HC will take the OC position here

This is a very interesting hire and I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Too many people are talking about the college spread offenses as the wave of the future but Chip Kelly proved that it isn't. Actually he proved that when his teams kept getting shutdown in the big bowl games, much less a championship game. Mixing in a piece or two here and there is one thing but I much prefer Reid's offense as the base for what we do. Hopefully that is where Nagy is headed and Helfrich is ready to come in and learn how it's done.

Do these two have some history together? How does Nagy go completetly outside the NFL for his OC?

--------

These guys are really fast on updates...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich...rican_football)

It was just announced that mark helfrich the ducks HC will take the OC position here

Average PPG for Oregon while he was the coach:

45 (Mariota)

45 (Mariota)

43 (Vernon Adams)

35 (Herbert/Prukop)

He had 16 losses in four years at Oregon, eight of them in the final year. Imagine that. Get shitty QBs and things don't work out well as when you had a Heisman QB candidate. I'm actually shocked he got fired considering his performance the previous three years. Oregon didn't even give him a shot. Hell, two of the four losses in 2015 were a direct result of Vernon Adams getting hurt.

Nonetheless, his defense gave up 44 PPG in those 16 losses. They scored 28 PPG, which is not bad. It's just hard to win when your defense gives up 6+ TDs a game.

This is a very interesting hire and I'm not sure if this is good or bad. Too many people are talking about the college spread offenses as the wave of the future but Chip Kelly proved that it isn't. Actually he proved that when his teams kept getting shutdown in the big bowl games, much less a championship game. Mixing in a piece or two here and there is one thing but I much prefer Reid's offense as the base for what we do. Hopefully that is where Nagy is headed and Helfrich is ready to come in and learn how it's done.

Do these two have some history together? How does Nagy go completetly outside the NFL for his OC?

--------

These guys are really fast on updates...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Helfrich...rican_football)

Personally I look at this as nagy isn't just looking for ppl just like him. He's looking at diversity in the system. Just like how nagy comes from Reid but Reid is straight WCO. Hates to run the ball. However when nagy took over play calling you saw his style was WC but more aggressive especially with running the ball and the RPOs. Now helfrich comes from the spread. Looking at it as adding another wrinkle to the offense. Keep the defense guessing because as everyone knows trubisky has really good mobility so can run some of the WCO, RPOs and the spread. I like it

Personally I look at this as nagy isn't just looking for ppl just like him. He's looking at diversity in the system. Just like how nagy comes from Reid but Reid is straight WCO. Hates to run the ball. However when nagy took over play calling you saw his style was WC but more aggressive especially with running the ball and the RPOs. Now helfrich comes from the spread. Looking at it as adding another wrinkle to the offense. Keep the defense guessing because as everyone knows trubisky has really good mobility so can run some of the WCO, RPOs and the spread. I like it

That makes sense one thing to keep in mind Nagy is planning on calling the plays on offense at least to start with, so getting an OC who may need to adapt to the NFL game some can do that here. Nagy brings with him his own version of the WCO with understanding of Reid's WCO, and with Helfrich can add some of the spread offense concepts to form a unique hybrid WCO that takes can utilize the best of the three styles that is versatile that gives us flexibility to adapt our game plan more to our opponent's defense. At any rate our offense should be less bland/predictable than it was with Low Gains at the helm. Depending on how we address the WR group this offseason and what that looks like heading into next year will be a big factor in just how versatile this offense could be with Nagy and Helfrich running it.

Thanks for that info jason.

Thankfully, he won't be running the D!

Average PPG for Oregon while he was the coach:

45 (Mariota)

45 (Mariota)

43 (Vernon Adams)

35 (Herbert/Prukop)

He had 16 losses in four years at Oregon, eight of them in the final year. Imagine that. Get shitty QBs and things don't work out well as when you had a Heisman QB candidate. I'm actually shocked he got fired considering his performance the previous three years. Oregon didn't even give him a shot. Hell, two of the four losses in 2015 were a direct result of Vernon Adams getting hurt.

Nonetheless, his defense gave up 44 PPG in those 16 losses. They scored 28 PPG, which is not bad. It's just hard to win when your defense gives up 6+ TDs a game.

I think the fact that Nagy will be calling the play mitigates the impact of the spread offense on our team.

As an earlier poster said, it may well be that Helfrich was willing to take an OC position in the NFL where he wouldnt be calling plays because his association with the spread has made him less attractive to NFL teams. So this will probably be a chance for him to showcase his ability with more expected plays rather than the Bears bending all the way to a spread offense.

That said, Trubisky did play in a spread shotgun offense, and so it may well be that Nagy is interested in incorporating some of Helfrich's concepts in some situations. One assumes this is also good news for Tarik Cohen, as space deemphasizes his size, and puts emphasis on his speed.

On the flip side, having hired Harry Hiestand, and having Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen running so well bodes for some emphasis on the running game too, and along with Nagy's own pedigree is with Reid's more pass happy WCO, gives us a lot of experience in a lot of different directions. I expect this means he will incorporate all these philosophies. If he can blend them well it would give us very broad capabilities.

We may see an offense that can play different kinds of games against different opponents, like the Patriots do.

One thing you can see here for sure. These guys are going to want wide receivers, so expect Pace to be active in free agency and the draft at that position. That's not news of course, but it's even more obvious now with Helfrich on board. I wonder what his opinion will do for the scouting department as far as identifying receivers and breaking down their various skill sets. Probably very good things. That goes for OL and Heistand as well. He probably gets a draft pick on OL in the first three picks we make.

All the more reason to trade down if the blue chip WR isnt there at 8. Course with the expected QB feeding frenzy, that stud WR might be right there for us when we need him too.