Coaching staff

bowlingtwig

I think the fact that Nagy will be calling the play mitigates the impact of the spread offense on our team.

One thing you can see here for sure. These guys are going to want wide receivers, so expect Pace to be active in free agency and the draft at that position. That's not news of course, but it's even more obvious now with Helfrich on board. I wonder what his opinion will do for the scouting department as far as identifying receivers and breaking down their various skill sets. Probably very good things. That goes for OL and Heistand as well. He probably gets a draft pick on OL in the first three picks we make.

One thing Chip Kelly had that made his offense good in Philly was a very good Oline. He said as much that it was their ability to run the ball that made the passing game so effective. I don't think we can rule out OT in the first, much less OLB. I'm still ok if we go OLB/OT in Rd1 and 2.

When we get to the WRs I suspect they will be prioritizing speed and the Alshon Jeffrey types won't be what they are looking for. Maybe there was some good fortune in him leaving so we have the roster flexibility to bring in what Nagy wants. Plus we do have Meredith who can fit that role on the outside. That might exclude Jarvis Landry as well although I wouldn't want to pay him anywhere close to what he's asking for.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing Chip Kelly had that made his offense good in Philly was a very good Oline. He said as much that it was their ability to run the ball that made the passing game so effective. I don't think we can rule out OT in the first, much less OLB. I'm still ok if we go OLB/OT in Rd1 and 2.

When we get to the WRs I suspect they will be prioritizing speed and the Alshon Jeffrey types won't be what they are looking for. Maybe there was some good fortune in him leaving so we have the roster flexibility to bring in what Nagy wants. Plus we do have Meredith who can fit that role on the outside. That might exclude Jarvis Landry as well although I wouldn't want to pay him anywhere close to what he's asking for.

I saw someone earlier tweeted that Allen Robinson would be perfect fit for us. He's very interesting when healthy

I suspect with this type of WC offense (quick strike), we’ll see more of the smaller framed quick twitch type wide receivers that are good with the crossing over the middle patterns. In that instance I could see Kendall Wright making it back. And maybe even Bellamy, considering how he seems to be slowly improving. Inman and Meredith are almost too big (IMHO) but could be used for skinny post, corner or fade routes. In watching some replays of both KC and Philly (since Pedersen is there) from this last week, I also was reminded they love to use their TEs. Kelce (KC) and Ertz (Phi) get a fair share of work in the short zone areas. Could Shaheen or even Sims be that guy?

One element I hope they’ll continue using is somehow keep zone blocking as a staple; especially for the run game. Howard has really gotten good about reading his OLmen blocking in this scheme and even Cohen seemed to develop patience as the season wore on. With this type set up you can still run bootlegs, zone reads and play action to allow Trubisky to better draw on his skills.

I suspect with this type of WC offense (quick strike), we’ll see more of the smaller framed quick twitch type wide receivers that are good with the crossing over the middle patterns. In that instance I could see Kendall Wright making it back. And maybe even Bellamy, considering how he seems to be slowly improving. Inman and Meredith are almost too big (IMHO) but could be used for skinny post, corner or fade routes. In watching some replays of both KC and Philly (since Pedersen is there) from this last week, I also was reminded they love to use their TEs. Kelce (KC) and Ertz (Phi) get a fair share of work in the short zone areas. Could Shaheen or even Sims be that guy?

One element I hope they’ll continue using is somehow keep zone blocking as a staple; especially for the run game. Howard has really gotten good about reading his OLmen blocking in this scheme and even Cohen seemed to develop patience as the season wore on. With this type set up you can still run bootlegs, zone reads and play action to allow Trubisky to better draw on his skills.

I'd be ok with bringing back wright but in no way do I want to see Bellamy actually play on offense. I've heard he's good on special teams so if he returns I want nothing more than that. The dude has a serious problem with actually catching the ball

The love those teams have for the TE is 1 of the reasons I want to see Shaheen have a major role next yr

Won't this be similar to the packers offense? McCarthy came from that coaching tree. All types of wrs, passing to many wrs. Cobb, Nelson, Adams, TE, RBs.

Yep traditionally that’s what the WCO is known for; flooding the D with multiple receivers. To include RBs catching out of the backfield. Which could be a problem for Howard as he stinks at it. Oh well, maybe just have him run a lot.

I think the WCO traditionally requires big bodied power forward type receivers who can post up on linebackers

I said speed, but in reality I think quickness is more valued. Jeffrey doesn't have good quickness, Meredith does.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/16/38...nse-chiefs-2013

"You'll see more quick-slant, square-in and drag routes in a West Coast system. Therefore a receiver's ability to run precise, crisp routes and creating separation in small space is more important than straight-line speed or jump-ball ability."

"The offense is a quarterback-oriented attack based on a progression-type passing game with mostly, but not exclusively, short and intermediate routes. It is dependent on the quarterback's ability to read coverages quickly, identify the progression of receivers and throw in rhythm so he hits the receivers in stride, enabling them to gain yards after the catch."

Yep traditionally that’s what the WCO is known for; flooding the D with multiple receivers. To include RBs catching out of the backfield. Which could be a problem for Howard as he stinks at it. Oh well, maybe just have him run a lot.

I think Howard improved a lot catching the ball this year. He started out with some drops but over time with Trubisky he started making some good catches and not just the easy ones. He showed enough that he can't be ignored on short routes. Intermediate to long routes are still off limits but in those situations we have Cohen and Cunningham. At least I'd like to bring Cunningham back. I felt he was a good 3rd RB for us. He's not spectacular in any one area but he was good at quite a few things.

Back to Jordan Howard: There is nothing preventing him from improving further on his receiving ability. He did it in 2017. He may never make acrobatic catches but he can contribute to a spread offense type role.

The Bears gave him until today to decide, took an ultimatum to get this ball rolling. Glad he is back, I was having flashbacks of when Marinelli left for Dallas because we hired Trestman over Arians.

Where did you hear that we gave him an ultimatum? I've heard nothing of the sorts and would be really wrong to give such a well respected man like Fangio an ultimatum when he could have taken until probably at least Sunday with no issues at all

Where did you hear that we gave him an ultimatum? I've heard nothing of the sorts and would be really wrong to give such a well respected man like Fangio an ultimatum when he could have taken until probably at least Sunday with no issues at all

It was on twitter, so who knows how official it is. Search Fangio deadline.

It was on twitter, so who knows how official it is. Search Fangio deadline.

I've been looking at Twitter most of the deal. At least of verified and trusted sources like Biggs and schefter and I've seen nothing of an ultimatum. I have hard time believing for the man reason you just don't give someone as well respected as him such a thing when nothing was that critical yet because none of the other teams had even hired a HC and more than likely are waiting for the teams to get eliminated from playoffs. And the earliest that happens is tomorrow night so best case scenario a team doesn't even hire a coach until Sunday afternoon at the earliest I suspect. From there it would probably Mon before we would have gotten to critical area

Biggs just tweeted that Mike furrey the head coach of limestone college and former NFL receiver will be our WR coach. Anyone have any information about this guy? I've never heard of him

This is the same Mike Furrey that had over 1,000 yards receiving and 98 receptions (2nd in the NFL) in 2006 with the Lions. One of his 100 yard games that year was against us, lol. When he played with the Rams, he actually played Safety and WR. His career ended early due to concussions.

We gave him a look back in 2010:

The Bears have reportedly been touching base with free agent WR Mike Furrey.

No surprise here. You can often find Furrey playing for whatever offense Mike Martz is running, the two having been together in St. Louis and Detroit. Earl Bennett is a superior option as a slot receiver, so Furrey wouldn't add much to the Bears if signed.

I like the diversity of experience with this staff, no two coaches have similar backgrounds. This is a guy with collegiate coaching experience and has played WR in the NFL (at a high level for at least one year).

I've been looking at Twitter most of the deal. At least of verified and trusted sources like Biggs and schefter and I've seen nothing of an ultimatum. I have hard time believing for the man reason you just don't give someone as well respected as him such a thing when nothing was that critical yet because none of the other teams had even hired a HC and more than likely are waiting for the teams to get eliminated from playoffs. And the earliest that happens is tomorrow night so best case scenario a team doesn't even hire a coach until Sunday afternoon at the earliest I suspect. From there it would probably Mon before we would have gotten to critical area

It is funny how I read today was the deadline and then shortly after it says he is signing. It could all be coincidence.

It could go both ways. He is highly respected, but by giving him a deadline, they may have forced his decision before Shurmur gets interviewed and hired and then sorts out his coaching staff. If he wanted that then they would have found out by him not signing. Basically stop dragging us along so we can move on and get someone else before there is possibly more competition swooping candidates.

This is the same Mike Furrey that had over 1,000 yards receiving and 98 receptions (2nd in the NFL) in 2006 with the Lions. One of his 100 yard games that year was against us, lol. When he played with the Rams, he actually played Safety and WR. His career ended early due to concussions.

We gave him a look back in 2010:

I like the diversity of experience with this staff, no two coaches have similar backgrounds. This is a guy with collegiate coaching experience and has played WR in the NFL (at a high level for at least one year).

Thanks. His name just doesn't ring a bell. I remember a lot of those Martz teams but not him. Never even heard of that college. Lol

Biggs just tweeted that Mike furrey the head coach of limestone college and former NFL receiver will be our WR coach. Anyone have any information about this guy? I've never heard of him

I just remember being upset because nobody on the Bears seemed to be capable of stopping him. Before the game he was the first guy on their offense you were not worried about. On game day he made you pay for it. And he did it again and again. Some players are special because they have elite physical traits others are special because they don't have those physical traits but they still beat you.

If he can capture that mental aspect of the game and teach it to our WRs we'll be in good shape.