New coach, new era

Alaskan Grizzly

"Be Yourself" is a very different message than say, the Belichick message, but it's one the Philadelphia Eagles embraced and they seem to have figured out the formula: be aggressive, don't play not to lose, play to win. When you're up 21 points with 7 minutes to go, don't go into a prevent, etc.

That will definitely lose you some games, and win you others. Pace and Nagy seem like it.

There are some philosophies about going for it on 4th down, and going for 2 that are mathematically sound, but unpopular. I wonder if we will see some of that from Nagy.

Remember - every gambles wins AND loses. The first time Nagy is aggressive and doesnt get it, let's not all whine that we want to go back to running the ball for 3.5 yards a carry and playing cover 2 all the time. That's not for the NFL.

This will be fun to watch, but just like Packers fans learned with Brett Favre, you can cheer the heroics, but you'll throw interceptions too. Awesome. I'm ready. I think we will become a dangerous team. Maybe not always consistent, but dangerous for sure.

22 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

It is well done because he managed to capture the storied history of the franchise in very different but still motivational ways.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

It is well done because he managed to capture the storied history of the franchise in very different but still motivational ways.  

Yeah I think with the younger generation it’s important to grab their attention, if only briefly.  This is effective and like you said ties in the history of the franchise.  Which, if you listen to a lot of the players being brought in to the team will refer to the revered history that is the Bears.  I’m sure many of them want to be a part of that no matter how long ago it was.  

Im a cynic. I think they mostly say it to ingratiate themselves with the fans. But who cares.

I have my memories of the 85 Bears, I don't need Roquan Smith to be a fan of that team. What I DO need is for him to be a fan of himself and THIS team.

I think Pace and Nagy are building a culture of winning. We definitely see them choosing leader types.

The arrow is pointing up for sure.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Im a cynic. I think they mostly say it to ingratiate themselves with the fans. But who cares.

I have my memories of the 85 Bears, I don't need Roquan Smith to be a fan of that team. What I DO need is for him to be a fan of himself and THIS team.

I think Pace and Nagy are building a culture of winning. We definitely see them choosing leader types.

The arrow is pointing up for sure.

Sure there may be some superficial undertones to what the players say, but I also sense some ’genuity’ to it too. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sure there may be some superficial undertones to what the players say, but I also sense some ’genuity’ to it too. 

I think they genuinely want to say the right thing. But I just care that they want to win more than anything else in their lives.

I think that is great. Now they need to work with each player to keep them bought in. It is easy to broadcast what you want to achieve with posters, but interacting one on one with each player regularly and pushing those messages will make it sink in and become them. Nagy is bringing the right atmosphere and he seems like a person that will make it the teams culture. 

1 minute ago, Stinger226 said:

I was listening to a podcast and heard that HH made the statement that Daniels is the best center prospect he has ever seen. So I would say that means , Whitehair will be the LG.

It will be interesting to see.  Go back to September and there was a topic on here about Whitehair being the worst C. I think it would be best to put Daniels at C and leave him there instead of a year at G then move him the following year to C.  My guess is Pace made that comment about starting Daniels at LG to appease Whitehair.  Whitehair has publically said he wants to stay at C before the draft. 

On 5/4/2018 at 10:48 PM, BearFan NYC said:

Or maybe they want to start him at OG because he isnt ready to make the protection calls at center yet, even if that is his ultimate destination?

There ya' go.   Let's put our 20 year old rookie in a spot where he has help to learn the NFL game.  We can give him some time, like a full year, to build his strength too before asking him to hold up against NTs like Goldman.  We're kidding ourselves if we don't think Goldman or HIcks wouldn't push him straight back into the QB.  In the meantime we can take advantage of his athletic ability as a pulling guard and his quickness will matchup well against 3-techs.  I can't believe he's just 20 years old.   He started at Iowa, an Oline factory, as a true freshman.  If he ends up our starting center this year he'll be ok but expect him to get moved around and need some help like Whitehair did his rookie year.

The only thing I can find on his knee injury is that he had a torn meniscus which needed surgery.  I suspect that was a bad tear that had to be sewn back into place instead of a minor cleanup.   Then it seems he had, on the same knee, either another minor meniscus issue or just a mild sprain because he was back playing after a week or two.     

I think if HH deems him the OC of the future they will start him there right now and put up with the shortcomings of a rookie. They did that with Whitehair and excelled. I think they make their decision and stick with it even with rookie learning pains. If he has a good NT, they will just give him help in those situations. Anyway they line it up, it will be the best situation. The key will be the continued health of Long but this year we have available Kush and Morgan but do not forget Watford. I think Kush ends up being the backup at OC also so we do not have shifting around this year in the middle. Massie and Leno have played above average even though the perception is they have been bad. The key is they have also been very healthy. Massie will need to be replaced next year but we also should consider he plays better under HH and they keep him around a few more years as we develop a rookie drafted next year. He is still only 28. The one thing we do not know is how much better our existing players play better with the addition of HH. If they all take one step forward, it will make for a very good OL even with the same OTs. The one thing we still need is a swing OT for depth, of which we can still find with later cuts by other teams in the training camp process.