Where did Miller go?

adam

Miller had back to back games with 6 targets against BUF and DET, but has tailed off the last few weeks to zero against GB, only 1 against LAR, and 2 against NYG. I know the team spreads the ball around but only 3 targets the last 3 weeks seems odd compared to his production earlier in the year. The only change that I can see is having him return kickoffs. 

What do you think? Injury? Lack of grasping the offense? Pass Pro? He was looking like a true playmaker but now seems like an afterthought in the offense. Very interesting amid the team success. He has 5 TDs, so he produces when given the chance. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

What do you think? Injury? Lack of grasping the offense? Pass Pro? He was looking like a true playmaker but now seems like an afterthought in the offense. Very interesting amid the team success. He has 5 TDs, so he produces when given the chance. 

Color me intrigued too.   I took a look at a ‘like’ receiver in Gabriel to see if the drop off was because of that.  Nope.  In the first 11 games Gabriel averaged 4.6 receptions and had one 100 yard game (Detroit part II I believe).  The last three games he’s had exactly three receptions each.  For the season he’s averaged 10.0 yards per game.  

In the same first eleven games, Miller averaged 2.3 receptions and has had two 100 yard games in that time (Miami and TB).  As you pointed out he’s gotten 1, 0, 0 receptions in the last three games.   Crazy thing is he’s averaged 13.3 yards per game for the season.  So he’s done more with less.  

Gotta think it’s the ST angle that has caused the reduction. 

5 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Color me intrigued too.   I took a look at a ‘like’ receiver in Gabriel to see if the drop off was because of that.  Nope.  In the first 11 games Gabriel averaged 4.6 receptions and had one 100 yard game (Detroit part II I believe).  The last three games he’s had exactly three receptions each.  For the season he’s averaged 10.0 yards per game.  

In the same first eleven games, Miller averaged 2.3 receptions and has had two 100 yard games in that time (Miami and TB).  As you pointed out he’s gotten 1, 0, 0 receptions in the last three games.   Crazy thing is he’s averaged 13.3 yards per game for the season.  So he’s done more with less.  

Gotta think it’s the ST angle that has caused the reduction. 

Gabriel averages 10.0 yds per catch and 42.8 yds a game. He is 60/599 right now, Robinson is 49/669 and Miller has dropped off to 30/399. He has half as many receptions as Gabriel, which is shocking at this point.  Again, not a big deal as we are winning, but interesting nonetheless considering we traded up to get him.

Where did Burton go for a few games?  I think as this season has gone along teams are playing the Bears differently.  The announcers commented on a Packers CB covering Burton.  Early on it was Burton and Robinson, then Miller and Cohen started showing up.  Allen Robinson has had the most consistent targets among our receiving corps.  Shaheen picked up a couple passes in the last game, stuff Sims wasn't doing.  Sims had 6 games with zero targets.  Another thing to note is the last two games were some of the lower totals for pass attempts with 28 (GB) and 30 (LA).  The lowest attempts all year were against Buffalo with 20 but our median is just a bit higher at 31 pass attempts.  

20 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Where did Burton go for a few games? 

Was thinking about this too as I was heading home tonight.  I was surprised to find out he’s in the neighborhood of ~500 yards for the season so far.  That puts him about fourth with Cohen getting roughly 700 yards receiving so far.  I would’ve thought Burton was the leader in this category with how involved he was early on.  

But to AZ’s point with less pass attempts and the resurgence of Howard I can only surmise they are trying to diversify the offense a bit.  Which I think is brilliant.  Makes it harder to scheme against. 

I like the fact that we don't have that one guy that is consistently targeted.  It also shows a good combination of play calling and Trubisky making good progressions.  Another thing I love is the unpredictability of Nagy with the gadget plays and personnel utilization.  It simply gives opposing teams "everything" to prepare for.  Advantage Nagy.

Remember a couple of those games were with Chase at QB, so you can throw those out as an example. I think Nagy attacks other teams weaknesses and different players are called upon to show up. I think MT had a bad game and then this week did not throw down field so Miller number wasnt called as much.

His targets dropped after his WR coach bitched about the play of his WR group after the Giants loss (or it could have been another game). I guess he was not running the correct routes. The score called it freestyling his routes instead of running the routes he was suppose to. I guess 1 of the times he ran his defender into coverage of another WR and it resulted in an INT. 

This is what I heard on the score sometime this week. 

He's a rookie, and overall he's had a good year.  Hadn't heard about the WR coach thing but I think he will just keep getting better,  IIRC wasn't one of his strengths coming out of the draft his route running? We brought in quite a few pass catchers this offseason lot of new faces and we spread the ball around a lot.  Which is a good thing keeps everyone involved and keeps defenses from zoning in on one or two guys to stop.  Couple that with Mitch and everyone else being in their first year of this offense.  Next season with a full offseason program and the second year in this offense things might be different.  Pace I think wanted to give us lots of options this season and we can refine the WR group next year.  I do think Miller has a place in this offense long term.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm MUCH less concerned with Miller than I am with Shaheen. The Bears gave up a valuable draft slot to get him. Even more stinging is that the Cardinals selected Buddha Baker, a player who has already made the probowl and who many of us coveted quite a bit. When the hell is Shaheen going to be worthy of anything close to his draft status?

2 hours ago, jason said:

I'm MUCH less concerned with Miller than I am with Shaheen. The Bears gave up a valuable draft slot to get him. Even more stinging is that the Cardinals selected Buddha Baker, a player who has already made the probowl and who many of us coveted quite a bit. When the hell is Shaheen going to be worthy of anything close to his draft status?

Who knows, looks like he is still a project. Hopefully we will see more usage in the playoffs.