Blow this Team Up

adam

What's next? Find a simpleton that runs and plays D?  Watching Indy makes me think we chose the wrong GM, Ballard was highly praised and has some Bear blood.  We thought outside of the box and when you cannot even perform in a box, you look foolish. Pace needs to put a foot down on Nagy, let him know the stove is warming up the seat.  

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

What's next? Find a simpleton that runs and plays D?  Watching Indy makes me think we chose the wrong GM, Ballard was highly praised and has some Bear blood.  We thought outside of the box and when you cannot even perform in a box, you look foolish. Pace needs to put a foot down on Nagy, let him know the stove is warming up the seat.  

yes, whether it's now, or once the season is mathematically over, one way or another, it's time for Pace to make a play for this team

I think Pace is the team's biggest problem, but I don't want to do the whole head coaching search all over again after one bad season, and you also don't want to hire a general manager and make him keep the coach for at least a year, like they did with Phil Emery.

The defense is still really talented, and they're missing their most important defender in Hicks. I would double up on quarterbacks in the off-season. Trade for Nick Foles and use one of your first draft picks on a QB. Give this thing another year or two, then blow it up if you suck again next season.

46 minutes ago, Bears4Ever_34 said:

I think Pace is the team's biggest problem, but I don't want to do the whole head coaching search all over again after one bad season, and you also don't want to hire a general manager and make him keep the coach for at least a year, like they did with Phil Emery.

The defense is still really talented, and they're missing their most important defender in Hicks. I would double up on quarterbacks in the off-season. Trade for Nick Foles and use one of your first draft picks on a QB. Give this thing another year or two, then blow it up if you suck again next season.

I agree on doubling up on QB.  However, there is no way Jacksonville is going to be able to trade Foles this offseason as it will leave them with 33.5 million in dead cap space. 

Peace

Watching this game live yesterday is not easy to describe.  My dad and I talked a lot about what we saw and processed and we agreed on several key points.

Akiem Hicks is missed more than we previously thought, as the defense has not played as dominating since.  Roquan Smith is back.  He was everywhere yesterday and runs like a bullit.  Defense still playing underneath coverage to soft.  Overall though, defense still really good.

Now the bad part.  Nagy called a decent game until it counted.  And there were 4 key times it counted and and all four times he failed.  Trubisky missed Shaheen in the end zone, missed Gabriel wide open and never once looked off his primary receiver.  However, he played well enough to win the game with some of the good things he did.  IMO, he's salvageable.  Nagy dialed up a good running game, again, until it counted.  Statistically and with the eye test, we dominated that game.  I've never heard a team get booed louder going into halftime with a lead.  But it happened.  Piniero shit his pants today, yet I still don't blame him.

It was just ugly and unfortunate.  Nagy has to get better for Trubisky to get better.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Watching this game live yesterday is not easy to describe.  My dad and I talked a lot about what we saw and processed and we agreed on several key points.

Akiem Hicks is missed more than we previously thought, as the defense has not played as dominating since.  Roquan Smith is back.  He was everywhere yesterday and runs like a bullit.  Defense still playing underneath coverage to soft.  Overall though, defense still really good.

Now the bad part.  Nagy called a decent game until it counted.  And there were 4 key times it counted and and all four times he failed.  Trubisky missed Shaheen in the end zone, missed Gabriel wide open and never once looked off his primary receiver.  However, he played well enough to win the game with some of the good things he did.  IMO, he's salvageable.  Nagy dialed up a good running game, again, until it counted.  Statistically and with the eye test, we dominated that game.  I've never heard a team get booed louder going into halftime with a lead.  But it happened.  Piniero shit his pants today, yet I still don't blame him.

It was just ugly and unfortunate.  Nagy has to get better for Trubisky to get better.

I was at the game (3rd level north end zone) and watched Piniero warm up. He hit a couple from 55+ with no issues.  Unfortunately, he saved his worst kick until the end of the game but I have no issue with Nagy choosing to kick at that time. 

The game was lost in the first half when we couldn't score a TD either time we were at the 4-yard line.  The boos at halftime were embarrassing. Nagy has a lot of soul searching to do. 

Peace

Great franchises have the big 3.  A good QB, a good Coach and a good GM.  All 3, are suspect for us.  Each has flashed.  But each has failed miserably in a large way.  Logic tells me to let this play out.  Tru will probably not be the guy, and we probably bring in a good vet to  push Tru and replace Daniel.  Nagy will get a third year to see this through.  He might improve since he's young.  Or he might just be a stubborn guy making the same mistakes he's been making for the past 24 games.  Pace will probably get the longest pass and might be able to draft another QB and hire another coach if Nagy doesn't cut it.  All that said, part of me just feels that this doesn't feel right.  No logic.  Just gut.  And maybe gutting it quick and getting a jump start doesn't close the window.  We'd hit a stride in 2 seasons potentially.  They won't do it.  It's not how the Bears do business.  So, I'm going to grin and bear it.  I'll stand by that it won't work and all 3 will be replaced in 3 years.   I'm itching to be wrong.  I really want to be wrong.  Badly.  I fear I'm not.  We've not had back to back winning seasons in eons.  Only once during Smith even.  Speaks volumes...   The national disrespect is valid.  Until I see 2 seasons in a row, I'm assuming it's an anomaly.  Sorry, sobering up this morning...

I thought Trubisky played well.  At least well enough to win.  He wasn't great but his overthrown pass to Gabriel is way overblown.  Every QB has those moments in every game but  Bears fans demand perfection.   Meanwhile after winning his initial upfield move Gabriel was getting caught by an ancient LB in Thomas Davis.   Where did the turbo go?  Trubisky's INT was a poor read and he should have held the ball just a hair longer to see if the DB peeled off.  It happens....see future HofF Rivers and Fuller's INT.   I thought Trubisky had poor decision making holding the ball too loosely when he fumbled... until I watched the replay and saw how fast his LT got blown up into him.  We've seen Mack do that to other teams QBs including guys like Rodgers.  That's what Joey Bosa does.  I felt beforehand I'd rather see Tru come out guns blazing and just making the throws and quit worrying about every little thing even if he threw a pick or two.  He did and made a lot of really nice throws on target and in stride.   

Nice to see Anthony Miller involved once again.

Rashaad Coward killed one drive all by himself, but I think he's going to be pretty good.  He is making a difference in just two games and that will only get better.  

Montgomery ....Go Cyclones!   We need one more like him and we'll have a good running game.  Cohen was definitely, and finally, working up field for extra yards instead of constantly running out of bounds.  It was nice to see but an NFL RB he isn't.  He's our spot 3rd down RB, occasional slot WR, but he is not Monty's backup.  

No player is missed more than the old Trey Burton.  This offense cannot survive without the move TE.  It's so clear that he's the guy filling in the gaps in coverage.   TE in Rd 2/3 here we come.  

Now the coaching... Knowing we have a guy like Bosa out there why wasn't he double teamed more often?  When did we become that confident in our OTs?   Why are we using CPatt on a jet sweep 5 yards off the endzone?  He has no hands and will NEVER go up and win a 50/50 ball so what else is a DB going to look for?   Further, you have the safeties within 10 yards of the LOS so speed will not help Patterson there.   I thought that was a really stupid play call, among others.  On the same series we also didn't give Montgomery one shot at the endzone. 

Question:  Should Trubisky be lining up under center more often?  If we're not going to have him run very much why not take better advantage of the running game and play action?   It's not been said much but the whole RPO thing has passed it's expiration date.  The NFL figures things out quickly.  A couple here and there maybe in the right context can work but it is not a staple play so again  why not have Trubisky under center?  It seems obvious to me that defenses know what we are about to do on many plays, especially the "cute" ones like the Patterson jet sweep mentioned above.   Plays like that cannot be a staple play and Nagy over uses them and is not really calling them based on what a D is doing. 

After seeing how much we use him it's clear Cordarelle Patterson was his pet FA signing.  He's really good on special teams both as a returner and in coverage.  Nagy goes to the well too often with him on the same plays.  

I agree with your opinions AZ. We got so hyped up over last year(unexpected) that we are in a boom or doom state of mind. We had some positives in our game but they are overshadowed by the mistakes. Last year we caught almost all the breaks this year we are getting dinged every time we turn around. On defense all the studs from last year are not preforming at the same level. Trev is playing well, Mack is being schemed out of most plays and the problem is no one else is stepping up. Hicks is the one that took the pressure off of Mack. Nagy is the biggest problem, he is not adjusting to his team and keeps insisting on his creative plays when we need the I formation and play action passing. He doesnt trust his QB that he is stuck in a limbo state of play calling. He is a pass first mentality and needs to just run the ball like he did Sunday. The passing game will improve if he gives this team a run first mentality. MT is an average QB that he schemed well enough last year to win. He needs to get off the I am going to outsmart people and just play the game that works. The defense played well enough to win . The offense made to many mistakes to overcome . Nagy had a bad day of calling plays and that needs to change.

16 hours ago, madlithuanian said:

Great franchises have the big 3.  A good QB, a good Coach and a good GM.  All 3, are suspect for us.  Each has flashed.  But each has failed miserably in a large way.  Logic tells me to let this play out.  Tru will probably not be the guy, and we probably bring in a good vet to  push Tru and replace Daniel.  Nagy will get a third year to see this through.  He might improve since he's young.  Or he might just be a stubborn guy making the same mistakes he's been making for the past 24 games.  Pace will probably get the longest pass and might be able to draft another QB and hire another coach if Nagy doesn't cut it.  All that said, part of me just feels that this doesn't feel right.  No logic.  Just gut.  And maybe gutting it quick and getting a jump start doesn't close the window.  We'd hit a stride in 2 seasons potentially.  They won't do it.  It's not how the Bears do business.  So, I'm going to grin and bear it.  I'll stand by that it won't work and all 3 will be replaced in 3 years.   I'm itching to be wrong.  I really want to be wrong.  Badly.  I fear I'm not.  We've not had back to back winning seasons in eons.  Only once during Smith even.  Speaks volumes...   The national disrespect is valid.  Until I see 2 seasons in a row, I'm assuming it's an anomaly.  Sorry, sobering up this morning...

We hired a GM with no experience who drafted a QB no experience to then hire a HC with no experience. Recipe for disaster.

2 hours ago, adam said:

We hired a GM with no experience who drafted a QB no experience to then hire a HC with no experience. Recipe for disaster.

Fox had all the experience in the world, how did that work out. Roster was shit tho. GB's HC has 0 experience look how good they are doing. 

Side note, I was recruited and played college Football at CMU, my recruiter was Denny Lefluer , his son is none other then the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers. I loved Denny but can not bring myself to root for his son....lol 

42 minutes ago, Chitownhustla said:

Fox had all the experience in the world, how did that work out. Roster was shit tho. GB's HC has 0 experience look how good they are doing. 

Side note, I was recruited and played college Football at CMU, my recruiter was Denny Lefluer , his son is none other then the Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers. I loved Denny but can not bring myself to root for his son....lol 

Cool story. Good for his kid. Must be nice to inherit one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time. It sure makes life easier. 

What position did you play?

Peace

20 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

Cool story. Good for his kid. Must be nice to inherit one of the top 5 quarterbacks of all time. It sure makes life easier. 

What position did you play?

Peace

I played OLB / DE in college. 

He is mighty lucky to inherit one of the best to ever play the game. 

13 hours ago, adam said:

Or is it a recipe for finding good young people and being patient enough to allow them to learn on the job?   Look at Belichick and remember he once got run out of town.  Andy Reid got run out of town.  Funny thing is if you are old enough to remember why he was run out of town it was because ...

Some of the same fans who chanted ”Fire Andy” during a game in

2011 and desperately wanted him gone last year cheered Reid,

showing their appreciation for the 14 mostly successful seasons he

had in Philadelphia.

Reid, for a long time, had issues with falling in love with the passing game.  But there was always that little bit of mad genius behind what he was doing.  It just sometimes fell flat on its face.   Pace is not the worst GM out there.  He built a team that is very close to competing at a high level.  Last year a lot of things went our way, this year not so much.  I still think we could add a LT like Trent Williams and a good TE and the offense will become quite productive even with Trubisky at the helm.      

Nagy might actually be a great head coach someday.  I think he's more HC than OC material.  He was inexperienced as a play caller when he arrived and it's obvious he's still having growing pains.  He is also guilty of what many of us do when we're successful early on in our careers...we fall in love with what got us there even when it's the wrong thing to do.  Right now he's struggling to look in a mirror.   He's always talked about the times when his players will be tested.  Right now he's the one being tested.  If he is willing to look in the mirror then I think he'll grow as both a play caller and HC.   Remember Nagy, and others, said Reid's greatest achievement in helping his assistant coaches become so successful was his willingness to let them own it.   It might be time for Nagy to step back a bit from the offense and let his OC do some play calling.  He should at least make sure he's in his ear all game long to keep him grounded.  

We have found a lot of good pieces for the future.  You don't throw the baby out with the bath water but the baby definitely needs a bath.  

If we were asked a question before they hired a coach last year( would you like a coach that goes 15-9 in his first 24 games )?  I think we would all say (hell yeah). The season isnt over yet but I think most of us has lost our expectations of being very good. Last year going 12-4 , there was not much adversary , things went our way. Now we  get to see what we got is how everyone deals with a losing streak. I think they turn this around whether its enough to get us into the playoffs. The story isnt complete yet.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mongo3451 said:

That's a good point and I've had to reign myself in at times, as well.  Our excitement of having a team in the window has us all drooling.  Hopefully the growing pains of this year will bear fruit next.

I hope so also.  Last year was such a great ride.  But that doesn't stop us from asking what if going forward when it seems like the ship is sinking this year.  They are what they are and I can only hope for the better.

New week, same results.

The offense had the worst first half in 40 years!!!! Think about how bad some of our teams have been since the late 70's, this team just played worse in the first half on offense than any of those teams with 9 yards and 0 points. We have fired coaches for less, benched QB's for less, yet the team just keeps marching Trubisky out there like everything is good to go. I really could care less what he did when the Eagles went to prevent defense if it didn't result in a win.

The defense was so gassed that they couldn't get off the field to save their lives. How many backdoor screens and release plays did the Eagles successful complete first downs on? Something like 6 or 7. You would think the coaches or players would adjust and stop them after maybe 3 or 4. 

I can't imagine being a player on this team right now. At this point, you are almost just playing not to get injured.

Trubisky does not deserve another start. Send him to IR and let him have shoulder surgery now. I would also cut Shaheen. What an absolute abortion of a set of picks by Pace in the 2017 draft. Now the other few players in that draft don't look that good. Cohen has strictly become a gimmick player and Jackson is playing not to get injured and is a ghost of his former self. 

38 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I didn't get to watch.  What happened with Shaheen?  Heard a lot of negative

Couldn't catch a pass to save his life. Then on last kickoff, Philly squibs it short and instead of jumping on the ball, Lurch tries to field it and Philly easily recovers to end the game. Not that Trubisky would've done anything worth a damn (needed a TD with no TOs and 20 secs left).