Lazor = new OC(?)

Alaskan Grizzly

Interesting pickup. He also worked in MIA as the OC in 2014 and 2015. His QB's? Tannehill and Moore. Interesting.

In 2014 and 2015, Tannehill threw for over 4000 yards both seasons and had over a 2/1 TD/INT ratio.

or like Stinger pointed out, both Dalton and McCarron played for Lazor.

Another name Lazor worked with... Nick Foles in 2013 and it was an RPO offense.  Found the info in this article https://www.bengals.com/news/lazor-oversees-offense-s-hybrid-evolution-20555917

Lazor might be able to help simplify the system making it easier to grasp. Still need a oline that can function, maybe Castillo will help on that. 

From what little I can find Lazor has a very good history of getting QBs to play well.  Let's hope that trend continues.  In this case do we keep Ragone?   If that's why this guy is here, and it should be, I say Ragone must go for the new OC to have greater influence on Mitch.     

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Suddenly having coached Tannehil is a positive.  I wonder if people are updating their resumes across the league.  

Amazing how a change of scenery can do that to someone.  Maybe there is something to bringing Dalton in?  Or Mariota?  Give them a try.... see what they do? 

On 1/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001096543/article/bears-hiring-exbengals-oc-bill-lazor-as-their-oc

Fired from the Bengals two seasons ago?(WTF?!?!). First read tells me Nagy has no intent on giving up control of the offense and is looking for another patsy.  Who the hell is this guy?   

There is absolutely nothing about this guy that excites me.  Nothing.  I will caveat there are reasons for him struggling in Cincy I am sure, but still, this guy had one of the worst offenses in the league during his 2 seasons as OC in Cincy.  We could have had Sherman, Nagy just had to give up playcalling. We can only hope Nagy is smarter than we think, but in general, this screams of a HC being in over his head and not being able to delegate out more. Man my comfort would have been so much higher if they went with Caldwell (who is a proven OC) or Sherman. I could have even gotten beyond a total unknown in Kafka on the sake he could be great.  

Hopefully he is actually amazing, but man, nothing inspiring about this move.  I will say he did get a lot of out of some of his random QB's at different points along the way (if there was one positive to look at).  Fact that he actually called plays at the NFL level is also nice (vs. Helfrich).  

1 hour ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

There is absolutely nothing about this guy that excites me.  Nothing.  I will caveat there are reasons for him struggling in Cincy I am sure, but still, this guy had one of the worst offenses in the league during his 2 seasons as OC in Cincy.  We could have had Sherman, Nagy just had to give up playcalling. We can only hope Nagy is smarter than we think, but in general, this screams of a HC being in over his head and not being able to delegate out more. Man my comfort would have been so much higher if they went with Caldwell (who is a proven OC) or Sherman. I could have even gotten beyond a total unknown in Kafka on the sake he could be great.  

Hopefully he is actually amazing, but man, nothing inspiring about this move.  I will say he did get a lot of out of some of his random QB's at different points along the way (if there was one positive to look at).  Fact that he actually called plays at the NFL level is also nice (vs. Helfrich).  

True, but what did you expect?  This job is not desirable for several reasons:

1.  Nagy is still calling the plays.  No top OC candidate would go for that. 

2.  We had one of the worst offenses in the league and one of the worst in Bear’s history.  We have very little cap space and very few draft picks.  Good luck with that. 

3.  You are tied to Mitch Trubisky.  If he continues to suck—you’re going to get fired.  

All things considered, he seems like a solid pick up.  

36 minutes ago, bradjock said:

True, but what did you expect?  This job is not desirable for several reasons:

1.  Nagy is still calling the plays.  No top OC candidate would go for that. 

2.  We had one of the worst offenses in the league and one of the worst in Bear’s history.  We have very little cap space and very few draft picks.  Good luck with that. 

3.  You are tied to Mitch Trubisky.  If he continues to suck—you’re going to get fired.  

All things considered, he seems like a solid pick up.  

And they all could be fired next year. 

Peace

16 minutes ago, Connorbear said:

And they all could be fired next year. 

Peace

Or they could all be in the Superbowl.  We were 8-8 with absolute worst Oline play in the NFL, subpar QB play for the first half of the year, and a lot of key defensive injuries.   This isn't that hard to fix.  

Based on what we saw last year and probably the best way to fix it is; the offense will be good enough for another 8-8 season.  At the interest of Pace trying to keep his job, Nagy may or may not get fired before the season is over. At which point Pagano will take over because he’ll be able to somehow get the defense to play as good or better than it did this last year. The change, if midseason, will spark enough from both sides of the ball that the team will close our strong and get 10 maybe 11 wins. But despite this and because of spotty QB play the team will either just miss the playoffs or go out in the first round. Pagano wanting to keep the job as HC beyond next season will attempt to summon Luck out of retirement.  And Pace wanting to stick around for at least one more ‘do or die’ year, will desperately throw whatever he can (mostly money) to make that happen.  

Or Trubisky will somehow and inexplicably become the QB he’s supposed to be and not only win league MVP but Super Bowl MVP too.  

18 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Based on what we saw last year and probably the best way to fix it is; the offense will be good enough for another 8-8 season.  At the interest of Pace trying to keep his job, Nagy may or may not get fired before the season is over. At which point Pagano will take over because he’ll be able to somehow get the defense to play as good or better than it did this last year. The change, if midseason, will spark enough from both sides of the ball that the team will close our strong and get 10 maybe 11 wins. But despite this and because of spotty QB play the team will either just miss the playoffs or go out in the first round. Pagano wanting to keep the job as HC beyond next season will attempt to summon Luck out of retirement.  And Pace wanting to stick around for at least one more ‘do or die’ year, will desperately throw whatever he can (mostly money) to make that happen.  

Or Trubisky will somehow and inexplicably become the QB he’s supposed to be and not only win league MVP but Super Bowl MVP too.  

Pace can throw everything at Andrew Luck as far as I'm concerned.  I'm pretty sure he'd take one look at the Oline Trubisky was behind and happily stay in retirement.  

I would be more shocked to see Luck unretire than retire. Player career lengths are shrinking considerably, and it wouldn't surprise me if you see most players retiring in their early 30's in the next decade. They get their rookie deal, then two contracts and they are done. With how much more money they are making now compared to even the early 2000s, it makes sense.