New cornerback

Stinger226

It will be curious to see the type of contract he gets. That will determine how the team views him (as a starter = goodbye Prince, or as a backup).

Apparently he was on the Vikings Practice Squad before going to the CFL. 

Overall, I like the move, just as long as we didn't overpay. 

5 minutes ago, adam said:

It will be curious to see the type of contract he gets. That will determine how the team views him (as a starter = goodbye Prince, or as a backup).

agree

14 minutes ago, adam said:

What’s more, from other sites I’ve seen the Vikings were really wanting him back.  Maybe a good thing?

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2020/01/29/five-things-to-know-new-chicago-bears-cornerback-tre-roberson/

3 hours ago, adam said:

I heard Pace gave the CFL team our next 3 first round choices.   😉😁

I'll predict right now David Montgomery is going to pancake him the first time he tries to tackle him in camp.  I have low expectations for anyone coming from the CFL because the athleticism alone is such a big jump.  However, Tre appears to have the athletic talent to play in the NFL as he reportedly ran a 4.52 forty and some of his highlights show some good quickness.  Maybe he can win a roster spot as the last CB but I don't expect much more from him.   

38 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I have low expectations for anyone coming from the CFL because the athleticism alone is such a big jump. 

Cameron Wake, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Chad Johnson, Brandon Browner and Joe Horn would beg to differ.  Sure they are a minimal number compared to the thousands per year that start out on each NFL roster every year.  But... there’s always that diamond in the rough and exception to the rule.  And with all the teams interested in him; to include NE, Minnesota and SF I’d think there must be something to it.  

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Cameron Wake, Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Chad Johnson, Brandon Browner and Joe Horn would beg to differ.  Sure they are a minimal number compared to the thousands per year that start out on each NFL roster every year.  But... there’s always that diamond in the rough and exception to the rule.  And with all the teams interested in him; to include NE, Minnesota and SF I’d think there must be something to it.  

Of course he has a chance but he's also going to be 28 and he's still learning a new position, now at the NFL level.  There's not a lot of runway left in his career.  If he were 24 then a year or two as a backup/special teams player might get him where he needs to be.      

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Of course he has a chance but he's also going to be 28 and he's still learning a new position, now at the NFL level.  There's not a lot of runway left in his career.  If he were 24 then a year or two as a backup/special teams player might get him where he needs to be.      

I know reports aren't out, but it seems like the Bears paid him at least a few million, which has to mean they think there is a pretty good chance they think he can play at the nickel spot (worse case) and maybe develop in to more. Seems to have the fast twitch skills and reaction time to make plays at the DB position. Late developing player, but with what Bears committed, I expect him to get every chance to compete. DO I think he is a day 1 starter...absolutely not, but he certainly helps boost up the depth chart.  

Normally I would down play, but he seems like one of those every few year CFL - NFL UFA's who most scouts seem to think will transition (doesn't mean they will).  

Another perspective that occurred to me was that comparatively speaking, doesn’t the CFL throw more often than the NFL?  Maybe his INT #s are a bit inflated because of the more # of opportunities?  But then, he was the top rated FA CB in that league last year so...there’s that.  

Speaking of age, maybe Robinson will be the Bears version of Richard Sherman.  Dude is 31 years old coming off a recent Achilles tear and is headed to his second super bowl. Age is just a number to some guys.  

It's hard to say what we get out of him but let's just consider it like a older draft pick with upside.  I think tolliver is slated to be next man up but Robinson may become a valuable backup.  Wake got 5 mil for 4 years when he came over and we bettered that. Say 6 mil or 3 year 5 mil. In any event it isn't big money. 

On 1/30/2020 at 4:00 PM, Stinger226 said:

It's hard to say what we get out of him but let's just consider it like a older draft pick with upside.  I think tolliver is slated to be next man up but Robinson may become a valuable backup.  Wake got 5 mil for 4 years when he came over and we bettered that. Say 6 mil or 3 year 5 mil. In any event it isn't big money. 

Not even close to that...and that's a good thing.  While there were a rumored 10 teams interested in this guy the market just simply wasn't that high for a CFL CB who is going to be 28.  For this pocket change I'm ok with the deal.   

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1223229520666398720

Follow-up details on Tre Roberson’s two-year deal with the Bears: $75K signing bonus, $50K Week 1 roster bonus in 2020, $25K workout bonus each year. Base salaries of $550K, $610K. Good developmental prospect for Chicago to work with.

16 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Not even close to that...and that's a good thing.  While there were a rumored 10 teams interested in this guy the market just simply wasn't that high for a CFL CB who is going to be 28.  For this pocket change I'm ok with the deal.   

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1223229520666398720

Follow-up details on Tre Roberson’s two-year deal with the Bears: $75K signing bonus, $50K Week 1 roster bonus in 2020, $25K workout bonus each year. Base salaries of $550K, $610K. Good developmental prospect for Chicago to work with.

That's not starter money. Just a depth/developmental piece.