Teddy Bridgewater the new Bears QB?

adam

Boy I am cautious when the information doesn't come from the leading bears beat guys That would be the surprise move. If true how much they have to pay? Also think MT would be gone and cap hit is 9 mil. If they did this I would say they have to have MT trade on the menu  

13 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Boy I am cautious when the information doesn't come from the leading bears beat guys That would be the surprise move. If true how much they have to pay? Also think MT would be gone and cap hit is 9 mil. If they did this I would say they have to have MT trade on the menu  

Now this: 

• adam featured this topic
7 minutes ago, adam said:

If it is indeed $21M, then Floyd, Shaheen, and Braunecker are gone. I would assume Burton and Leno are June 1st cuts as well. Hell they may even trade Trubisky at this point.  

Things are about to get interesting.

If they bring Bridgewater in to be the starter, why not see what someone would give for Mitch.  He's going to want another chance to start.

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

If they bring Bridgewater in to be the starter, why not see what someone would give for Mitch.  He's going to want another chance to start.

Absolutely, but it may not happen until the draft. Either way, exciting news nonetheless.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I will be shocked if this happens. This definitely means Floyd, Shaheen, and Braunecker are gone. 

I think Floyd is gone. I think it's more of a fire sale than people thought it would be, but Pace did the same thing with the WRs a couple years ago.

Im still waiting to see what happens at OLT of course.

I think they can get a 4th rounder for MT in a trade, since he has a year of his rookie deal left with a second year option. Pretty cheap to take a flyer on a reclaimation project for the #2 pick overall.

Bear would have to eat $9Mil in dead space to remove MT. If they declare it a June first cut, it spreads it out over two years.

But (and I know Im a tired record) it doesnt matter who is at QB if they dont have a clean pocket.

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

And I know Im a tired record) it doesnt matter who is at QB if they dont have a clean pocket.

Totally.  And Bridgewater isn’t nearly as mobile as Mitch.  And if he goes down ... he’s probably done.  If this rumor is true, I’d at least like to have Mitch around for an insurance policy.  

Ed Werder and Mike Garafolo (reputable NFL insiders) are both saying ‘no’ to Bridgewater to Chicago.  (sorry don’t know how to link Twitter accounts).  

Werder says “Bears are focused on Andy Dalton or Nick Foles”.  

Garafolo says “not expecting Bridgewater to Chicago.  Other FA options out there.”

57 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Ed Werder and Mike Garafolo (reputable NFL insiders) are both saying ‘no’ to Bridgewater to Chicago.  (sorry don’t know how to link Twitter accounts).  

Werder says “Bears are focused on Andy Dalton or Nick Foles”.  

Garafolo says “not expecting Bridgewater to Chicago.  Other FA options out there.”

NOt sure I'm buying the Bridgewater news either.  Might be an agent spouting off to generate some action around the league.  With Teddy we'd have to build a strong running game behind a good Oline because he can't run.  I still think we wait out the QB market a bit and take what's left in Rd 2 of FA.  

43 minutes ago, bradjock said:

But we want Foles and Dalton who will cost like 17-18 million and a draft pick???  This is very confusing.  

I don't want either at that price.  If we give up any pick at all then the seller must be buying back some of the contract to minimize our cap space.  How much $ they eat determines the pick we give up.   It's the only way we can do this because we don't have a ton of picks and we don't have a ton of cap space.  Neither of these guys is a legit starter but could win some games behind a good defense so they fit the bill.  

I don't see us signing or trading for anyone with a large money payout. Mariota and Keenum gone. We are running out of options.  If we end up being all in on MT at least get a decent #2. If it ends up forcing us to   use  one of our 2nd round picks on a QB as a #2 it's better than sitting on a fat contract.  Grab Sudfeld now let's run with it. I would suspect him and Flip had a good relationship and would want to come here. 

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

Hard to believe Keenum and Mariota went on the first day.  If they sign anyone now who can truly compete it's not going to come cheap.

It’s like the back-ups were quick to sign, but the starters are mostly waiting for the Tom Brady domino to fall.  And we appear to be looking for a starter instead of a back-up. 

Interesting there are now reports that Bridgewater turned down the Bears because they weren't ready to guarantee him the starting job (want to make sure there is a competition for Mitch).  I think that indicates exactly where they stand with Foles. Expect a full blown competition and I personally hope Mitch wins (because if he could actually take things to the next level, it would be HUUUGE).  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Interesting there are now reports that Bridgewater turned down the Bears because they weren't ready to guarantee him the starting job (want to make sure there is a competition for Mitch).  I think that indicates exactly where they stand with Foles. Expect a full blown competition and I personally hope Mitch wins (because if he could actually take things to the next level, it would be HUUUGE).  

I don't want someone like Bridgewater who wants the job handed to him either.