Russell Wilson

Uncle Buck

I thought I saw somewhere that he'd be willing to come to Chicago as well. Personally, I'd hate it for two reasons:

1. It would likely cost a 1st round pick. At least.

2. He's just mobile enough, and throws well enough on the run, that he'd potentially make Pace/Nagy look good.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

SiriusXM mentioned that Russell Wilson has pushed for a trade and mentioned teams he’s interested in. The Raiders were named; Carr could be in play?

Interesting.  would we be curious to see how Mariota might fit into the equation?  I assume they'd prefer keeping him as the backup if Carr were to leave...  

I have some of the same reservations that Jason does with Carr; the biggest being cost.  But what real value is the 1st round pick? Especially at 20? 

This morning Mike Greenburg shared a stat that said; 37 QBs have been drafted in the first round in the last 12 years.  Only one, Patrick Mahomes, has won a Super Bowl. Two others; Goff and Wentz, have been to the Super Bowl but are currently on different teams.  And since I know Jason loves to talk O-line; of the two starting O-lines for the most recent SB teams, only two were picked first round; Rookie RT Tristin Wirfs (KC) and LT Erik Fisher (TB).  Of the rest; 2 were picked in the 2nd round, 1 in the 6th round, 2 from the 7th round and 3 started as UDFAs.  

All that being said, I'm probably better in using this year's 1st to get a player of value than I would drafting a "can't miss" player.  But at the same time I'm not keen on the idea of Pace being the guy to make that decision.  

Seahawks aren't trading Wilson without getting a QB back in return.  They don't pick high  enough to draft a starter.  I would say Carr goes back plus maybe a couple 2nd round picks. Mariota might be in play,  he is set to make 10 mil this year and they will need the cap space.  So what  would he command in draft capital? We don't have a 4 which is probably the right value,  a 3rd? 

He won't be nearly as expensive as Watson. I think he saw what Brady did and wants to show he can do that too.

The Seahawks worst record since RW joined the team has been 9-7. 8 out of 9 seasons with double-digit wins with playoff berths and a top 10 scoring offense in 7 of those seasons.

RW's QBR Rankings over the years: 3, 8, 6, 4, 15, 10, 11, 5, 8

He has 6 of 9 seasons in the top 8 in the league. The year he finished 15th, he threw for 4219 yards (career-high) with 21 TDs and 11 INTs. 

Bears Single Season Passing Records:

Kramer 3838 Passing Yds and 29 TD

Wilson has 5 seasons with more yards and TDs than the Bears all-time records.

Almost any QB mentioned in trades is much better than having our past QBs.  Obtaining the elite would devastate our next 2 years of draft picks.  How would that make us a SB contender? Watson didn't make Houston a SB contender. Our cap situation puts us in a [ it ain't happening category].

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Almost any QB mentioned in trades is much better than having our past QBs.  Obtaining the elite would devastate our next 2 years of draft picks.  How would that make us a SB contender? Watson didn't make Houston a SB contender. Our cap situation puts us in a [ it ain't happening category].

Wilson is 32 and would not command the same type of trade compensation as Watson. I agree on Watson, we would have to purge the roster just to bring him on making us look a lot like the Texans did with him. 

The problem the team has is without an elite QB, nothing else really matters. Every year this comes to fruition at playoff time. Will a team with an average QB win a playoff game, sure, but on average, most teams that make it to the Conf Championship and SB have an elite QB. Teams like SF and LAR got there recently, but both lost. They had everything but an elite QB. 

With Pace's track record of hitting in later rounds and missing in the 1st, if the team is trading future picks like Trubisky, Floyd, Shaheen, and White for Wilson, I would be ok with that. 

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Bingo.

13 hours ago, adam said:

Wilson is 32 and would not command the same type of trade compensation as Watson. I agree on Watson, we would have to purge the roster just to bring him on making us look a lot like the Texans did with him. 

The problem the team has is without an elite QB, nothing else really matters. Every year this comes to fruition at playoff time. Will a team with an average QB win a playoff game, sure, but on average, most teams that make it to the Conf Championship and SB have an elite QB. Teams like SF and LAR got there recently, but both lost. They had everything but an elite QB. 

With Pace's track record of hitting in later rounds and missing in the 1st, if the team is trading future picks like Trubisky, Floyd, Shaheen, and White for Wilson, I would be ok with that. 

There not getting rid of Wilson without a  couple of firsts and some other considerations.  They'll be competion AND they don't want to get rid of him.We are already missing a 4th and 7th this year. I seen one proposal of the two firsts,  Foles,  and Jaylon Johnson,  plus a 3rd  this year and 4th next.  We need two OTs,  another WR plus resign several of our FAs plus AROB.  If we lose Johnson,  we are missing a CB and SS with little in backups.  Sounds like a something that just isn't going to happen. 

24 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Bears need to rebuild through the draft. Trade up to #13 With LAC and draft Mac Jones. Then draft 2 OT in rounds 2&3. 

or

take OT in rounds 1 & 3 and draft a QB in round 2.

I was actually thinking about them either trading back, then drafting an QB late in the first or trading up from the 2nd into the back end of the 1st to get that 5th-year option.

The only problem with drafting a QB in the 2nd or beyond is you miss out on that 5th year on the rookie deal, so the window with a stacked roster is one year less. 

Just like with Watson - I don't think any price is too high for the Bears to land a franchise type QB.  It is going to be expensive - but at that point - you focus the rest of your energy on making the rest of the roster better knowing you have found an individual talent who will also make others better.

But my expectation is - any trade for Wilson or Watson probably ends up costing 3 1st round picks (or 2 1st rounders + 2nd rounder + someone at Roquan Smith type of level).  

19 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

Bears need to rebuild through the draft. Trade up to #13 With LAC and draft Mac Jones. Then draft 2 OT in rounds 2&3. 

or

How are the Bears getting up to 13?  I see we still have the 2nd and 3rd round picks - so are Bears trading next years 1st rounder to move up 7 spots?  I do think you probably landed on the spot at play for where the last of the 1st round QB's goes (as I think you have a few other QB needy teams right behind the Chargers & obviously Chargers should capitalize on this move since they have the QB position addressed).    

22 hours ago, ParkerBear7 said:

or

Trading up in the first is going to include one of the next two round picks plus our first. Even if we include a next year first, I still seeing us having to give up more draft capital this year.

8 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Just like with Watson - I don't think any price is too high for the Bears to land a franchise type QB.  It is going to be expensive - but at that point - you focus the rest of your energy on making the rest of the roster better knowing you have found an individual talent who will also make others better.

But my expectation is - any trade for Wilson or Watson probably ends up costing 3 1st round picks (or 2 1st rounders + 2nd rounder + someone at Roquan Smith type of level).  

And that price tag would be colossally stupid. Football is more of a team sport than any other sport. Harmony and skill and nearly all levels is required. 

it would be better to trade for picks to increase the odds of picking studs, than to put everything on the shoulders of a QB with huge promise being protected by scrubs. Funny, I think we have seen how that concept plays out fairly recently.

1 hour ago, jason said:

And that price tag would be colossally stupid. Football is more of a team sport than any other sport. Harmony and skill and nearly all levels is required. 

it would be better to trade for picks to increase the odds of picking studs, than to put everything on the shoulders of a QB with huge promise being protected by scrubs. Funny, I think we have seen how that concept plays out fairly recently.

I’d say the opposite - the misses of first round picks are higher than anyone wants to admit (whether you are Ryan pace or someone else) vs the importance that the qb position is. 

If I converted it to Leonard Floyd, Kevin White and Roquan Smith for Wilson or Watson - what would you rather have. That is basically one hit (Smith), one ok (Floyd) and one bust (White). I’d take one Watson or Smith over that. 

I’ll actually go one step further - let’s take the last 3 first round hits - Smith, Fuller and Kyle Long - again - I’ll take one an over those three. You can still put a good online and other things around said player. 

The Bears issue with Cutler was never that the trade or Jays cap space prevented / hindered their ability to deal with the line or provide Cutler with the right protection and weapons, rather it was the front office and coaching staffs inability to prioritize that. Plus obviously fact that they thought Jay was going to be a top 5 special QB but he wasn’t. 

And while football is a team sport - having a top 5 qb increases your chance to be a perennial contender - big time. 

So I just want to point out one stat of Wilson and where he has ranked amongst all QB's each of the past 4 years. The stat I'm cherry picking is TD's.  He's been top 3 each of the past 4 years on TD's.  This is purely passing TD's - Wilson is also pretty nimble so doesn't even value his rushing yards.  

2020 = 2nd

2019 = 3rd

2018 = 3rd

2017 = 1st

Of the four teams Wilson stated he would accept a trade to, Chi is the only one that makes any sense. LV just came out and praised Carr, that wont happen. Dallas has to jack with Zak, NO is in cap hell. I just dont see Seattle giving a top QB away without having another in play. Wont happen.

A lot more smoke popping up on Wilson - seems like Seattle is ready to move on as well - and they previously were close to trading him (evidently) in 2018.  Writing seems to be on the wall there - Bears and Raiders would in my opinion be the 2 most likely possibilities.  I think Saint would be all-in as well - not sure if they have the cap space to pull it off - but I would not bet against them (either).  

Raiders made public stance on Carr - not sure if that is to increase his trade value or to truly reiterate they are happy with him.  If Raiders are out - as long as Wilson sticks to his list - one would think it would put the Bears in a really really good position.  

Time to quit dreaming on Wilson and Watson. If the Seahawks trade Wilson they have to take a 39 mil cap hit. No way that would ever happen. If Watson forces a trade, there are several teams in much better position to give higher draft picks in any kind of trade scenario. For example, the Jets can give them Sam Darnold and the number 2 and 23rd picks in the draft. For example Miami can get them Tua and  the #3 and 18th pick in the draft. Plus both of those teams have cap space to add help to make their teams better. 

We have Foles here, sign Alex Smith and draft a prospect , for example, if he falls to our spot, Mac Jones, OR take a OT with the first and draft Trask or Mond with our second pick. Build the line, tag AROB and hope one of those QB prospect become a future starter. 

7 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If Watson forces a trade, there are several teams in much better position to give higher draft picks in any kind of trade scenario. For example, the Jets can give them Sam Darnold and the number 2 and 23rd picks in the draft. For example Miami can get them Tua and  the #3 and 18th pick in the draft. Plus both of those teams have cap space to add help to make their teams better. 

What you say is accurate regarding other teams.  However, those teams don't seem as desperate as we are.  It's been talked about all week how the Bears have a substantial package they have offered for Watson.  Unfortunately, it has leaked.

All told, this team needs to suffer before it gets better.  No new QB's and build the fronts.

We still have Foles maybe with a better OL, he can produce better this year, also draft a QB prospect. We are definitely  more desperate and have a GM that has no problem trading draft prospects but it Watson is truly going to be traded, there is a long list of teams that will go after him. 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:49 PM, DABEARSDABOMB said:

How are the Bears getting up to 13?  I see we still have the 2nd and 3rd round picks - so are Bears trading next years 1st rounder to move up 7 spots?  I do think you probably landed on the spot at play for where the last of the 1st round QB's goes (as I think you have a few other QB needy teams right behind the Chargers & obviously Chargers should capitalize on this move since they have the QB position addressed).    

Yes, they would have to trade a 2022 first rounder and possibly a second rounder to move up. In a perfect world Mac Jones would be there at 20 but the kid has the it factor from what I watched and worried he will go in the top 12 picks. Very deep draft for OT and hope the Bears don’t do anything stupid and miss out on getting stud bookends for the OL!

My opinion is that in order to get a 1st round QB, the Bears would have to trade their 2022 1st. I also think that because of Wilson's age, his price will be similar to the Cutler deal. Give me the sure thing in Wilson vs. the unknown in Mac Jones or Trey Lance. 

In any event, I won't believe Wilson or Watson gets traded until it happens.