Draft settling in

adam

So, if this works out the way Yates says here, if you are the Bears, do you jump to #4 (ATL) or #5 (CIN) and take Fields? Some think DET may also take one at #7. So unless you are in the top 6, you will probably not get one of the first 4 QBs selected.

I wouldn't do that and would rather take a chance on Trey Lance without having to mortgage the farm (again).

I found the Tweet about Steve Young being "plugged into BYU" funny.  Being that he is the great-great-great Grandson of Brigham Young and played there too.  

To answer the question about Fields 'no'.  Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of tape on the guy but when the pressure was on during this most recent Nat'l Championship against 'Bama, he didn't look the part.  In reading up on him I see that he transferred from Georgia halfway through his college career, so my question would be 'why'?   Was the SEC too much of a challenge for him so he decided to try the Big 10 instead?  Being a Nebraska fan I can tell you the Big Ten isn't the once football powerhouse it once was. 

For me if the top QBs are gone by the time Chicago drafts at 20 then go with what's needed in OLineman or BPA.  I think there are still enough lower caliber QBs to consider in the lower rounds.  Brady was selected 6th, Russel Wilson in the 3rd and Drew Brees in the 2nd so we don't have to keep pinning our hopes on 1st round talent for a decent QB.  

43 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I found the Tweet about Steve Young being "plugged into BYU" funny.  Being that he is the great-great-great Grandson of Brigham Young and played there too.  

To answer the question about Fields 'no'.  Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of tape on the guy but when the pressure was on during this most recent Nat'l Championship against 'Bama, he didn't look the part.  In reading up on him I see that he transferred from Georgia halfway through his college career, so my question would be 'why'?   Was the SEC too much of a challenge for him so he decided to try the Big 10 instead?  Being a Nebraska fan I can tell you the Big Ten isn't the once football powerhouse it once was. 

For me if the top QBs are gone by the time Chicago drafts at 20 then go with what's needed in OLineman or BPA.  I think there are still enough lower caliber QBs to consider in the lower rounds.  Brady was selected 6th, Russel Wilson in the 3rd and Drew Brees in the 2nd so we don't have to keep pinning our hopes on 1st round talent for a decent QB.  

I wouldn't worry about a QB transferring - Kyler Murray transferred from A&M to OU and looks every bit the part.  Reality is in this day and age - guys aren't going to sit around waiting and Georgia has whiffed more than a few times on some top level QB's who ended up elsewhere.  The inverse is true - Joe Burrow couldn't start with Ohio State and ended up at LSU. He went on to become #1 overall pick and flashed a lot to like before he went down with injury in his rookie season.

I actually would be pretty pleased if the Bears could get Fields.  He has his flaws - but so does every QB.  He is very talented though and highly athletic.  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I wouldn't worry about a QB transferring - Kyler Murray transferred from A&M to OU and looks every bit the part.  Reality is in this day and age - guys aren't going to sit around waiting and Georgia has whiffed more than a few times on some top level QB's who ended up elsewhere.  The inverse is true - Joe Burrow couldn't start with Ohio State and ended up at LSU. He went on to become #1 overall pick and flashed a lot to like before he went down with injury in his rookie season.

I actually would be pretty pleased if the Bears could get Fields.  He has his flaws - but so does every QB.  He is very talented though and highly athletic.  

Russell Wilson backed up Mike Glennon before transferring to Wisconsin too, which is hilarious if you think about it.

4 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

In this scenario I think Adam proposed going up to 4 or 5 in the draft to get him. I’m not sure he’s worth the type of capital needed to do that.  If he’s still available at 20 then sure...maybe.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

Russell Wilson backed up Mike Glennon before transferring to Wisconsin too, which is hilarious if you think about it.

I think it was the other way around (Glennon backed up Wilson while at NC State).  Allegedly Wilson’s transfer had something to do with him wanting to play baseball in the offseason for the Rockies(?) and the head coach at NC State wouldn’t let him.  So off to Wisconsin he went.  

16 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think it was the other way around (Glennon backed up Wilson while at NC State).  Allegedly Wilson’s transfer had something to do with him wanting to play baseball in the offseason for the Rockies(?) and the head coach at NC State wouldn’t let him.  So off to Wisconsin he went.  

Yeah, you are correct, they basically told Wilson to transfer his senior year. 

After watching all the moves over the past few weeks, the pro day visits, etc. I just realized that Pace and Nagy's easiest path to job security is to draft another QB (in the first round) and ride that guy 2-3 years. With that thought, I would be shocked if the Bears did anything else. 

38 minutes ago, adam said:

Yeah, you are correct, they basically told Wilson to transfer his senior year. 

After watching all the moves over the past few weeks, the pro day visits, etc. I just realized that Pace and Nagy's easiest path to job security is to draft another QB (in the first round) and ride that guy 2-3 years. With that thought, I would be shocked if the Bears did anything else. 

I absolutely agree. If they choose well, or stumble into a good pick, that will be great. If they miss again, we will be hamstrung by their decision for several years.

I dont understand why we dont have a new GM making that decision.

That said, hitting on a good QB in the first 15 picks is 50/50, so Pace could accidentally pick an amazing QB just as easily as a bad one, so maybe it's OK. but he does not provide any competitive edge, and of course that is the only thing a GM is supposed to do.

On 4/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, adam said:

So, if this works out the way Yates says here, if you are the Bears, do you jump to #4 (ATL) or #5 (CIN) and take Fields? Some think DET may also take one at #7. So unless you are in the top 6, you will probably not get one of the first 4 QBs selected.

I wouldn't do that and would rather take a chance on Trey Lance without having to mortgage the farm (again).

No. Please God, no. The Bears absolutely should not push in all their chips on a single player.

10 hours ago, jason said:

No. Please God, no. The Bears absolutely should not push in all their chips on a single player.

I agree, I am ok with taking a QB at 20, or trading back into the end of the first and pick one, but not trading up, especially that high.

On 4/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, BearFan NYC said:

I absolutely agree. If they choose well, or stumble into a good pick, that will be great. If they miss again, we will be hamstrung by their decision for several years.

I dont understand why we dont have a new GM making that decision.

That said, hitting on a good QB in the first 15 picks is 50/50, so Pace could accidentally pick an amazing QB just as easily as a bad one, so maybe it's OK. but he does not provide any competitive edge, and of course that is the only thing a GM is supposed to do.

In general it's a 50/50 shot but given Pace's poor ability to evaluate QBs, I'd say the odds of him missing are greater than him actually hitting.  Sadly I think they will try to make a swing at it.  If he does here's to the blind squirrel finding a nut.

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

In general it's a 50/50 shot but given Pace's poor ability to evaluate QBs, I'd say the odds of him missing are greater than him actually hitting.  Sadly I think they will try to make a swing at it.  If he does here's to the blind squirrel finding a nut.

I dunno if anyone can ruin a 50/50 shot. I agree that Pace does not give us a competitive edge in QB insight. And of course that is his job - to better our odds. But even as he is, 50/50 is still 50/50...

21 hours ago, adam said:

I agree, I am ok with taking a QB at 20, or trading back into the end of the first and pick one, but not trading up, especially that high.

Don't you get the feeling that a QB with a 2nd round grade may have a 1st round grade on Pace's big board? This would allow him to have a QB on a rookie deal for 5 years and in his mind justify the pick.

1 hour ago, lemonej said:

Don't you get the feeling that a QB with a 2nd round grade may have a 1st round grade on Pace's big board? This would allow him to have a QB on a rookie deal for 5 years and in his mind justify the pick.

If Pace wanted to do it round 1, trade down For an extra 2nd or 3rd.  I think if they got 2 2nds, they can fill OT and WR.

2 hours ago, lemonej said:

100%.

I could envision a scenario where he's hoping for one of the QBs to drop to 20, and none do. Then he drafts a QB at 20 any way, and swears up and down the Bears had a 1st round grade on the guy.

3 hours ago, jason said:

100%.

I could envision a scenario where he's hoping for one of the QBs to drop to 20, and none do. Then he drafts a QB at 20 any way, and swears up and down the Bears had a 1st round grade on the guy.

this does sound like a real scenario. If it was accompanied by a trade down to picks 30 to 32, and take Mond with the 5 year option, while picking up an extra pick(s) it would seem like a good move.

Then again, if he could get an OT at #20 and still get Mond, that would be better, even if it means no 5th year option - and from the "win now to save your job" point of view, that 5th year is probably worth less to Pace and Nagy than an OT - or SHOULD be. I lost an infamous bet last year betting that Pace and Nagy would understnad they have OT needs, and apparently they didnt see it, and it cost us last year.

If they cant get one of the five to drop to 20, the only way they can save their jobs is to improve the team (OT-WR-CB) and draft a prospect and have a winning record. Giving away players and draft picks to jump up to draft a QB is suicide . There only plan is (to be lucky) when it comes to a QB.