Eddie Goldman Rumors -- Update

Pixote

18 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I hate seeing this and would not doubt if the unnamed source is the Chicago Bears.  The Bears may want answers and have pushed their chips in to find out if Goldman folds or goes all in as well.  Either way, the leak damages Goldman IMO.

good analysis

He could also tweet something like "2021 Bears, we are back baby" but he doesnt. The negative press doesnt help him, so why hasnt he?

I thought it was dumb when he opted out last year.

The idea that a team will pay top dollar for his next contract is slipping as a result of all of this. Pace has to be assuming he will replace him rather than sign him to another deal.

Letting that go on, no matter what eventually happens is a strong sign that the story is true, and Goldman isn't sure what he wants right now.

I think he probably was horribly out of shape; easy to do as a big guy, and didn't want to show up like that. At least that is what I am hoping for. Hit the gym and the keto diet for 6 weeks and show up like nothing happened.

Unless he comes out and decides to retire we won't know much until training camp starts in a few weeks.  This article brings up some good points and discusses the effect of COVID on everyone.  I believe part of why Goldman opted out last year was due to he and his significant other having a child.  A lot of things are possible to include him not having the fire to play anymore.  Andrew Luck did the same thing a few years ag;, it happens from time to time.  

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/07/07/chicago-bears-eddie-goldman-threatening-retirement-or-bludding/

46 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Unless he comes out and decides to retire we won't know much until training camp starts in a few weeks.  This article brings up some good points and discusses the effect of COVID on everyone.  I believe part of why Goldman opted out last year was due to he and his significant other having a child.  A lot of things are possible to include him not having the fire to play anymore.  Andrew Luck did the same thing a few years ag;, it happens from time to time.  

https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/07/07/chicago-bears-eddie-goldman-threatening-retirement-or-bludding/

By all means. There are many reasons why a sane person wouldn't want to put in all the dedication necessary to win a Super Bowl. Other things suffer, like family etc. It's not something you can easily do while living a balanced life. I do not disrespect Goldman as a man.

However, if I'm building a squad to go to war with, and I'm paying millions of dollars to make up for what is traded away to live that life, then i expect my players to really want it. I dont think Goldman does. Maybe that's more sane of him than to want it so badly. But I want a guy who unreasonably wants to win, and makes other things, like sacrificing his knees in later life secondary to the goal of winning.

48 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

However, if I'm building a squad to go to war with, and I'm paying millions of dollars to make up for what is traded away to live that life, then i expect my players to really want it. I dont think Goldman does. Maybe that's more sane of him than to want it so badly. But I want a guy who unreasonably wants to win, and makes other things, like sacrificing his knees in later life secondary to the goal of winning.

I was getting ready to say something similar.  If he's on the fence, then I'm not...

1 hour ago, BearFan NYC said:

Wouldn’t disagree.  But at this point what’s going on from us and the media is all speculative.  As someone else pointed out, Trevathan said he talked to him and he’s committed to playing.  I’ll go with that for now.  

3 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Wouldn’t disagree.  But at this point what’s going on from us and the media is all speculative.  As someone else pointed out, Trevathan said he talked to him and he’s committed to playing.  I’ll go with that for now.  

absolutely. I know no actual facts, and I could be WAY off base. But, since all this is swirling around him, and not helping him, he could clear it up with a single tweet or statement, and he hasnt.

Anyway, it's July and crap like this is all we have LOL

With the unknowns of COVID at the time, I had no issues with any player opting out last year.

For this year though, for him to miss part of the offseason program and get fined for it as an unexcused absence after you have already been off for over a year seems very questionable. I mean he hasn't played since December 22nd, 2019 (1 snap). It is going to be 20 months since he had a meaningful rep in the NFL. How many people get paid millions to do nothing for 20 months (besides Congress)? To me it seems like he is milking the teet at this point and I wouldn't be surprised if he retires. I could be totally off base on this but like others have said, a simple Tweet, Instagram post, a message through his agent that says he is committed to the team and will be there in shape on Day 1 of Training Camp. How hard is that?

11 minutes ago, adam said:

Good news, Eddie Goldman spotted near Halas Hall, at gym. The bad news, benching 155 with weak resistance bands at 300+ lbs, hopefully that was his warm up. 

That is not for strength training.  Either for warming up or working on speed.

Good. If Goldman's heart is in it, he is a really important part of that defensive front. How do you handle his size and strength while still giving help agaisnt Hick AND Mack? That's three gaps in a row, you cant do it, and it pretty much assures single teams on the other side too.

If this Front can get back to where they should be, we might not notice who is playing CB at all. Give a QB only 2 seconds, and average CBs look amazing, give him 4, and all pro CBs get exposed.

On 7/14/2021 at 5:25 PM, BearFan NYC said:

now what else can we obsess over to make the rest of July pass? :)

I did see a story about Cutler saying he’d be willing to come back to play for the Bears again.  Can’t seem to be able to second source it so it’s probably not legit…but we could talk about it.  🤔

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-would-gladly-play-for-bears-again-if-given-2nd-chance/

25 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I did see a story about Cutler saying he’d be willing to come back to play for the Bears again.  Can’t seem to be able to second source it so it’s probably not legit…but we could talk about it.  🤔

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/jay-cutler-would-gladly-play-for-bears-again-if-given-2nd-chance/

ahahahaha