Week 3 Official Game Thread - CHI @ CLE , +7.5, O/U 46.5, SUN 9/26, 12:00PM CT - FOX

adam

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can talk about defensive mistakes, but NFL teams are going to score 20 points.

Nagy's offensive playcalling has been atrocious. It has been an obvious and consistent problem for years.

He needs to be put out of our misery.

3 minutes ago, BearFan NYC said:

We can talk about defensive mistakes, but NFL teams are going to score 20 points.

Nagy's offensive playcalling has been atrocious. It has been an obvious and consistent problem for years.

He needs to be put out of our misery.

I was just wondering how many offensive TDs the Bears have made since Nagy's era

Ok guys; paint me stupid- I don’t think Cleveland is a world beater, so either we are a complete offensive side of the roster away from being competent or a whole new staff, or really somewhere in between? Sometimes this offense reminds me of fonzi’s offense in waterboy. Just frustrated. At this point I’d just as soon start our back up offensive lineman. Keep Fields and Montgomery and pitch the rest of the offensive players. I know I’m spraying to all fields here but I’m tired of watching a damn pitiful offensive line, where the best we get are short passes that are so predictable. Sorry to rant.

24 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

Why do receivers have separation against our D and every pass Fields throws is contested. 
Is it because our DB’s are poor or our WR’s and TE’s are terrible. 
Cole Kmet has been piss poor today 

our talent at WR is actually pretty good. the problem is for each route, there are defenses that leave you wide open, and there are defenses that have you covered tight. Our play calling and game planning is getting beaten badly, that's why no one is open.

We are the worst team ever at playing rock, paper, scissors.

The good news is that this job should look very attractive to coaches and even GMs next year. Very unlike the year we had to go with John Fox for example. We have a pretty good roster and depth, a young dynamic QB, a huge media market.

Nagy has had any number of QBs now to try to make his offense work. He has failed. He needs to be fired.

Maybe go with Lazor or DeFillippo and just SEE if they MIGHT be good. Call it a free trial before next year. Not that i think either of them is the man, but to get a really good head coach you need to find one that isnt one already. They wouldnt be my first choices, but I think you kick the tires on them because you might as well.

But at the very least, I think you tell Nagy he has to give one of those guys the playcalling abilities. This is getting beyond stupid now. If people wont change, fire someone. If someone wont make them change or fire them, then fire that guy too.

42 minutes ago, 50england50 said:

I started watching the Bears in the 1980’s and I can’t remember a worse performance offensively today. 
I love my Bears but this was embarrassing today. 

I was late 70s, but I have to agree. Worst game plan, play calling I have ever seen first hand. Nagy needs to give up play calling or they need to fire him. Nothing has changed since he has arrived. The same offense that can't score. No one was open today, all routes ran right into defenders, zero misdirection, and no moving the pocket. The first screen pass was with 4 mins left in the game. Nagy needs to go.

4 minutes ago, adam said:

I was late 70s, but I have to agree. Worst game plan, play calling I have ever seen first hand. Nagy needs to give up play calling or they need to fire him. Nothing has changed since he has arrived. The same offense that can't score. No one was open today, all routes ran right into defenders, zero misdirection, and no moving the pocket. The first screen pass was with 4 mins left in the game. Nagy needs to go.

I’d love to see him go today; I don’t think it’s an overreaction as this year doesn’t stand alone; it’s an extension of his poor offense from season’s past. I don’t think though that the McCaskeys would make such a bold move. I think George would be willing to sacrifice another season; there’s no incentive to him- it’s not painful enough for the family to make larger changes 

Couple of thoughts:

- Justin Fields is not ready to start NFL games

- Matt Nagy does not belong in the NFL at all

- Robert Quinn looks really good this year

Let's start with the obvious: Justin Fields has been pretty terrible through these past two games. I thought last week he was able to show some flashes despite the poor statistics, but today was just awful all the way around. He missed a walk in touchdown to Darnell Mooney running downfield on a play that resulted in a DPI, and he continues to hold the ball way too long while standing flat footed in the pocket. The offensive line was a trainwreck, but Justin Fields doesn't do them any favors when he stands there like a sitting duck waiting for a play to develop. 

I used to say the Bears should allow him to play through his mistakes, but if he's getting sacked almost 10 times every game while also not giving you anything down field or with his legs, then Andy Dalton or Nick Foles should be out there instead.

Matt Nagy is the worst head coach in the NFL and has no business running a team at this point. I don't know what else he needs to do to prove he doesn't know what he's doing on offense. Everybody he coaches gets worse. He doesn't understand how to utilize the strengths of his best players and quarterback. I counted 2 quarterback designed rollouts the entire game against Cleveland. How is that even possible? You've got a dual threat rookie quarterback making his first start against a team with a great pass rush and your gameplan is to let the kid sit back there and get himself killed? 

If Matt Nagy were fired today, no team is giving him another HC opportunity, nor would they be giving him an offensive coordinator job either. That is how you know it's the right time to fire somebody. If nobody else wants him, then what is he doing coaching YOUR team?

At the very least, since we know the Bears never make in-season firings, Bill Lazor needs to be the playcaller moving forward. The last time the offense looked competent was when he called the plays before Nagy took them back over in the final Packers game.

Nagy needs to fire himself as OC.  He's in over his head, he hasn't changed, and it's clear he will never learn.  Hand the keys of the offense over to Lazor and sit back and be a head coach, or do us all a favor and just leave town.  That said I like what Desai has been doing the last couple games. Despite the Oline struggles today I still like Juan Castillo.  

It was obvious Fields isn't ready and if there was ever a game where you needed a good 3 step drop passing game and play action this was it.  Having a rookie QB sitting back in the shotgun having to keep his eyes off the rush while he catches the ball is not smart.  To top it off Fields was then dropping back further which played perfectly into the pass rush.  Get some more help to the Oline, do something wildly creative like a screen play behind Garrett's pass rush, perhaps sooner than the 4th quarter.   

It's funny because creating offensive plays is not rocket science. There are 11 players on each side, you can create mismatches with route combos, personnel, and motion. Nagy doesn't use any of those. Every play is swallowed up, receivers can't get open because they literally run straight into a defender then turn around for the ball, which is easily defended every time. 

Watching the Bears offense is like watching a High School offense playing against an NFL defense. It's literally embarrassing. 

16 minutes ago, adam said:

Every play is swallowed up, receivers can't get open because they literally run straight into a defender then turn around for the ball, which is easily defended every time. 

Watching the Bears offense is like watching a High School offense playing against an NFL defense. It's literally embarrassing. 

We do way too much of this.  I used to think it was because Mitch had no clue but nah it's just Nagy.  

2 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We do way too much of this.  I used to think it was because Mitch had no clue but nah it's just Nagy.  

It's Nagy. Mitch wasn't the answer, but his play masked the terrible offensive structure. There is just so much to unpack. Receivers can't get open because they are not running routes where they can get open. They run into the teeth of the defense on every play. The defense had 5 DBs between 8-10 yards, and all the routes end between 8-10 yards. That happens on every pass play. Even the completions were contested. 

The Bears can't even get a yard if needed. 4th and 1 in the RZ, kick a FG. Odds of losing after that - 100%. 

How many years in a row does the same things have to be repeated.

FIX THE OL

i don’t care what skill positions there are, it’s all predicated on OL. So they drafted one guy, and he turns out to be worthless. There seems to be a pattern developing, but they need to make it the first, second, and third priority or they’ll ruin Fields like they did Trubisky.