Fields Named Starter for Season

AZ54

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happened from Monday, we have a plan and if healthy Dalton is still the starte,r to we always said we would see when Fields is ready in one day?  Don't really care but it seems somehow they have chosen Fields and Lazor going forward and that's OK with me.

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

So what happened from Monday, we have a plan and if healthy Dalton is still the starte,r to we always said we would see when Fields is ready in one day?  Don't really care but it seems somehow they have chosen Fields and Lazor going forward and that's OK with me.

Clearly, someone above directed him to make this move.

For certain it was someone above him in the organization. Be it Pace, George, or perhaps Virginia got mad again.  Bottom line is if it’s Fields and Lazor for the rest of the season there’s hope that we won’t ruin the kid. 

I just hope Nagy’s ego doesn’t cause him to take the reigns back if things start looking better.  His arrogance is a hindrance to the team.  Till he gets over himself it will continue to hold him  and this team back. 

33 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

I just hope Nagy’s ego doesn’t cause him to take the reigns back if things start looking better.  His arrogance is a hindrance to the team.  Till he gets over himself it will continue to hold him  and this team back. 

Totally agree.  Nagy is the key to his own success or demise.  IE: best friend or worst enemy...

So I was looking around at some stats (go figure) and right now Fields has the lowest DVOA of any QB, ever (for qualified QBs based on attempts). Right now he is dead last in the NFL with a DVOA of -92.5%.

Here are the lowest qualified QBs by year for the last 10 years. If Fields ends the year there, it will be 3 years in a row for Ohio St QBs, and not company to be in.

2020 - Haskins -40.2%
2019 - Haskins -42%
2018 - Rosen -53.7%
2017 - Kizer -34.5%
2016 - Goff -74.8%
2015 - Foles -27.9%
2014 - McCown -41.9%
2013 - Weeden -36.1%
2012 - Quinn -43.8%
2011 - Gabbert -46.5%

His QB rating is 53.9 (2nd to last) and his QBR is 16.9 (last) in the NFL for qualified players. That is 3 different metrics, all have him basically last. The Cleveland game and the Cincy game to an extent have skewed his stats so bad that I think the league is going to underestimate him. CLE and CIN combined, he was 12-33 for 128 yds and an INT. Against DET he went 11-17 for 209 and an INT. He has yet to throw a TD, which is not helping any of his stats. It is just interesting to see how bad he is stat-wise compared to what I saw on Sunday.

I hope he proves everyone and the metrics wrong on Sunday with a strong all-around game.

3 hours ago, adam said:

I was looking around at some stats (go figure) and right now Fields has the lowest DVOA of any QB, ever (for qualified QBs based on attempts). Right now he is dead last in the NFL with a DVOA of -92.5%.

To begin I had no idea what DVOA means.  Even after I looked up the definition of the acronym I'm still not sure its all that clear to me but...

The simple answer to it all is the scheme and who has been coaching him, which until last week was all on Nagy.  I'd be curious to see how Trubisky fared under Nagy compared to how he might do if he ever has to play some significant time in Buffalo.  Like you said Fields' stats were skewed by the relatively low passing yardage, no TDs and two INTs (and two fumbles that he fortunately recovered).  But again, it was the situation he was put into with Nagy as the play-caller. With Lazor making the calls we saw little glimpses of how good Fields really can be.  And that will improve with time and the right guy making the calls.   

45 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

To begin I had no idea what DVOA means.  Even after I looked up the definition of the acronym I'm still not sure its all that clear to me but...

The simple answer to it all is the scheme and who has been coaching him, which until last week was all on Nagy.  I'd be curious to see how Trubisky fared under Nagy compared to how he might do if he ever has to play some significant time in Buffalo.  Like you said Fields' stats were skewed by the relatively low passing yardage, no TDs and two INTs (and two fumbles that he fortunately recovered).  But again, it was the situation he was put into with Nagy as the play-caller. With Lazor making the calls we saw little glimpses of how good Fields really can be.  And that will improve with time and the right guy making the calls.   

DVOA is great because it adjusts based on the opponent's defense making the stat a little more realistic than QB Rating or QBR. Meaning if you are playing a tougher defense the player is not expected to get the same stats per play as against a lesser defense. 

If Fields has similar games like he did against Detroit for the rest of the season, he will probably finish in the top half of the league, however, even with one decent game against Detroit, he still has a huge hole to dig out of. 

I just thought it was interesting that he was literally the worst rated QB in terms of DVOA ever. That seems almost impossible considering how he looked against Detroit. 

10 minutes ago, adam said:

DVOA is great because it adjusts based on the opponent's defense making the stat a little more realistic than QB Rating or QBR. Meaning if you are playing a tougher defense the player is not expected to get the same stats per play as against a lesser defense. 

If Fields has similar games like he did against Detroit for the rest of the season, he will probably finish in the top half of the league, however, even with one decent game against Detroit, he still has a huge hole to dig out of. 

I just thought it was interesting that he was literally the worst rated QB in terms of DVOA ever. That seems almost impossible considering how he looked against Detroit. 

Understandable considering how low Nagy's game plan and play calling against the Browns would of been rated had there ever been such a rating.  

10 hours ago, adam said:

So I was looking around at some stats (go figure) and right now Fields has the lowest DVOA of any QB, ever (for qualified QBs based on attempts). Right now he is dead last in the NFL with a DVOA of -92.5%.

Thankfully my college grades couldn't go negative.  Not that I didn't stress the system because after all, a man has to find his limits.  Apparently there is still DVOA room at the bottom for Nagy to explore his.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

It looks like Russell Wilson will be out 6-8 weeks (my fantasy season is over), that would be a perfect location for someone like Dalton. 

I lost Montgomery the week before and now Wilson last night also.  Long road to hoe from here.

6 hours ago, adam said:

It looks like Russell Wilson will be out 6-8 weeks (my fantasy season is over), that would be a perfect location for someone like Dalton. 

Geno looked good subbing in for Wilson.  Can't see them making any changes in the next couple weeks unless Geno returns to his old ways.  

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Geno looked good subbing in for Wilson.  Can't see them making any changes in the next couple weeks unless Geno returns to his old ways.  

I don't expect much from Smith. Wilson literally would win 3-4 games singlehandedly. With one of the worst defenses in the league, and in the NFC West, I don't expect them to win more than 1-2 in their next 6. That would put them at best at 4-7 with 6 to play. That's if Wilson can come back in 6 weeks which would be miraculous.

Seattle is really interesting. They won the SB, then lost it the following year (2014) but have not really done anything of note since then. Hard to believe Carroll not running BeastMode for the win was 7.5 yrs ago. 

18 hours ago, adam said:

that would be a perfect location for someone like Dalton

Sports Illustrated agrees.  In fact they have Foles (1) and Dalton (2) as options.  I’d have thought this would be a good place for Trubisky to go but he’s the only guy behind Allen in Buff so ain’t happening.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/analysis-7-quarterbacks-seahawks-should-consider-acquiring-in-russell-wilsons-absence

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Sports Illustrated agrees.  In fact they have Foles (1) and Dalton (2) as options.  I’d have thought this would be a good place for Trubisky to go but he’s the only guy behind Allen in Buff so ain’t happening.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/gm-report/analysis-7-quarterbacks-seahawks-should-consider-acquiring-in-russell-wilsons-absence

I doubt they pull the trigger, but Dalton is a little more mobile than Foles. That was my thinking. Maybe one more bad game and loss by Smith will change their minds. Not many teams have the QB room like the Bears.

Denver and New Orleans are also options. Bridgewater is hurt and they are avoiding Winston who is only averaging 153 yards a game passing. I would be shocked if all 3 were on the roster the entire year.

12 hours ago, adam said:

I don't expect much from Smith. Wilson literally would win 3-4 games singlehandedly. With one of the worst defenses in the league, and in the NFC West, I don't expect them to win more than 1-2 in their next 6. That would put them at best at 4-7 with 6 to play. That's if Wilson can come back in 6 weeks which would be miraculous.

Seattle is really interesting. They won the SB, then lost it the following year (2014) but have not really done anything of note since then. Hard to believe Carroll not running BeastMode for the win was 7.5 yrs ago. 

I was assured they were the best drafting team in the NFL.