Free Agent WRs 2022

adam

There are few decent options this upcoming offseason, but the Bears will have to figure out who they want to pay. At this point the Bears need to get younger. By replacing ARob they can improve and get younger at the same time. Here are a few names that could come in and be potential WR1s if the Bears look to FA for that. Another option is to go by WR1BC and taking a lesser option assuming Fields doesn't need a true #1.

1. Chris Godwin, TB will not be able to afford him, he is 3 yrs younger than ARob and would fit well with Fields style of play. 8th in Rec yards with only 8 games. 50-660-4 TD. 
2. Mike Williams, LAC, has 37-575, 15.5 per reception and 6 TDs, 27 yrs old. A bigger WR that compliments Mooney well. 
3. Courtland Sutton, DEN, 41-588, 2 TD, 14.3 Y/R, 26 yrs old. Another 6'4" WR. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd Tier (WR1/2s):
4. Christian Kirk, ARZ, 40-545, 4 TD, still not even 25 yrs old. Very similar to Mooney, which would create matchup problems. 
5. DJ Chark, JAX, just turned 25, can show what he can do with at least a competent QB. On IR for ankle injury, and a slight dip in performance may make him very affordable. 6'4" WR. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3rd Tier (WR2/3s):
6. Tim Patrick, DEN, 34-509, 15.0 Y/R, 4 TD, only a few months younger than ARob but one of the most efficient WRs in the league. I doubt DEN signs both him and Sutton. 6'4" WR. 
7. James Washington, PIT, production down from last year but only 25 yrs old with potential. Sub-6' WR, but would be an upgrade over Goodwin/Byrd. Him and JuJu are FA's, doubt they sign both.

Honorable Mentions:

8. Smith-Schuster, PIT, out for the season due to injury, hasn't done much and has been injured a lot in last few years. Will be curious to see what he gets. Seems like a great fit with Fields if healthy. 
9. Fuller, MIA. This guy looked like a WR1 with Watson in Houston, but injuries have limited him as well. Might come cheaper than expected which would help cap space. He had 53-879, 8 TD in 10 games for HOU in 2020 with 5x 100 yards games.

Nuclear Option:
10. Adams, GB. Bears sell the house and only sign Adams and a bunch of vets on league minimum this offseason (assuming Rodgers is out in GB), restructure Mack with some void years to make room for Adams. Get rid of ARob, Graham, and Cohen to pay Adams. Would be crazy with him 6 months older than ARob, but man is he productive and his game style won't age like ARob's has. If they are looking to win in Fields rookie contract window, this would help. 

Offense would look like this: Fields, Adams, Mooney, Kmet, Monty, Jenkins, Whitehair, New C, Daniels, Borom, Herbert, James. Who says no?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like the big body receivers so count me in on Sutton or Chalk.  The commentary you made on Chalk is eerily similar to ARob when he too came from Jax.  (Coming off an injury and needing a competent QB).  

I’m still of the opinion the Bears should try and draft Chris Olave or juniors (should they opt for the draft) Garrett Wilson or Marvin Harrison Jr (yes he’s related) since they have some chemistry with Fields.  Seems to be working pretty well for Burrow and Chase in Cincy.  

12 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I personally like the big body receivers so count me in on Sutton or Chalk.  The commentary you made on Chalk is eerily similar to ARob when he too came from Jax.  (Coming off an injury and needing a competent QB).  

I’m still of the opinion the Bears should try and draft Chris Olave or juniors (should they opt for the draft) Garrett Wilson or Marvin Harrison Jr (yes he’s related) since they have some chemistry with Fields.  Seems to be working pretty well for Burrow and Chase in Cincy.  

Arob's catch and drop was great for 7-8 yds a few years ago but now that he can't get separation, it is easy to defend. Fields throwing style is more vertical, which fits with speed and or size.

I would love one of the OU guys but it looks like Olave has a first-round grade. That 2nd rounder next year has to go to CB, WR, OC, or S. 

21 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Michael Gallup is available I think. He got lost in transition when they drafted Lamb and acquired Cooper. He had good yrs in 2019 and a decent yr in 2020. Could be gotten cheap, has did nothing this yr.

Yeah good one, I totally missed him.

22 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Michael Gallup is available I think. He got lost in transition when they drafted Lamb and acquired Cooper. He had good yrs in 2019 and a decent yr in 2020. Could be gotten cheap, has did nothing this yr.

I'm skeptical of Gallup.  He's been there longer than Lamb and Cooper and Dak seems to trust them a lot more.

On 11/14/2021 at 8:47 AM, Stinger226 said:

Gallup gets me excited - as a 3rd option with Mooney & someone else.  Like that move quite a bit.  

On 11/13/2021 at 4:04 PM, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Chark would be a good guy to take a chance on - presuming his medicals work.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, Stinger226 said:

Cowboys are $12M over the cap already for next year. Cooper is $22M, Elliott is $18M, no way they can afford to sign Gallup. 

An interesting note, GB and MIN are both over the cap for 2022 already. Cousins $45M against the cap, all would be dead money, immovable. All they can do is restructure and kick dead money down the road. Danielle Hunter making $26M, so between the two, they account for $71M against the Vikings cap for 2022, lol! The Packers are worse, Rodgers is $46M, Za'Darius Smith is $28M, Bakhtiari is $23M, and Kenny Clark is $21M, that's $118M for 4 players, they have $90M left for their remaining roster, lol! They clearly went all in this year and I am assuming know Rodgers won't be back. They can't even sign Adams if they wanted to. Rodgers is going to cost $26M to not be on the roster. So either way, they would have to free up something like $70M to get under the cap and sign Adams to a new deal. That ain't happening. 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I wonder how it would look if they cut Cooper and Prescott?  Both of them look very replaceable.

Cooper would have $6M in dead money, Prescott has $77M in dead money (WOW). So he is not going anywhere until at least 2025. So they could cut Cooper, which would give them $16M in cap space back, but since they are over by $12M, that would give them just enough to sign their rookie pool but would literally have 20+ on minimum deals to fill out their roster.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:04 PM, adam said:

That's what I was thinking. Byrd just didn't work out. I would rather see Adams or Newsome. 

Adams was on the field last week and dropped a pass.  Dazz I'd definitely like to see but if he's not fully ready not in the GB game.  Byrd isn't doing much but he likely knows what routes to run and can add a small bit of production.    After this week bring on Dazz and if he's not ready for a few reps at this point we probably need to talk about replacing him as a future slot WR.  

2 hours ago, adam said:

Cooper would have $6M in dead money, Prescott has $77M in dead money (WOW). So he is not going anywhere until at least 2025. So they could cut Cooper, which would give them $16M in cap space back, but since they are over by $12M, that would give them just enough to sign their rookie pool but would literally have 20+ on minimum deals to fill out their roster.

Oh shoot, I meant Elliott not Prescott...🤣

I think we need to be realistic when projecting possible FAs. We have a lousy cap space and a WR that will come here will not be getting a big paycheck. Maybe 4 60 mil is the most will not get you the top of the group. If they draft one , those odds go down. We will not be the highest bidder for any free agents this yr. That leaves AROB, Goodwin and Adams out of the picture. Gallup is projected to make 12 mil a yr. Mike Williams is estimated to make 15.5 a yr. 

• 2 weeks later...

IDGAF about a FA WR in Chicago. And I certainly don't want the Bears to spend big money. Guys like Gallup & Williams at over $10M a year? No thanks. That's money wasted where it can be spent elsewhere. 

Draft one mid-round; they're always available.

On 12/23/2021 at 9:52 PM, jason said:

IDGAF about a FA WR in Chicago. And I certainly don't want the Bears to spend big money. Guys like Gallup & Williams at over $10M a year? No thanks. That's money wasted where it can be spent elsewhere. 

Draft one mid-round; they're always available.

And how is that helping a young QB. 

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

And how is that helping a young QB. 

Because he can hit a mid-round WR just fine if given plenty of time unscathed in the pocket. Look at Hunter Renfrow just today. Or Amon Ra St. Brown for instance.  Also, a young QB should be focusing on tree letters: DFU, not 1st rd WR