let's talk about bill polian

Lucky Luciano

19 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

That said - Poles certainly isn't inherting a ton of working capital to start - so one of his first orders of business has to be how he's going to handle the cap and create flexibility and whether he would entertain punting a year and moving some of the aging defensive players (take cap pain now - to create future flexibility and maybe get a few draft assets back along the way).  

That's what I wanted last season.  The pain would be over and the rebuild would already be on.  Hindsight being 20/20, there are very little QB's to choose from this year,  so it's good we got Justin last year.

30 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That's what I wanted last season.  The pain would be over and the rebuild would already be on.  Hindsight being 20/20, there are very little QB's to choose from this year,  so it's good we got Justin last year.

I was with you - I would have gotten Fields, known you can't win with a rookie QB, and moved Mack and others to build some immediate capital so you can start shifting things towards the offense for a bit (or at least rebalancing so you are more equally split).  I hope that is what Poles does. If he can get some more draft capital this year - and takes some of that short-term pain for long-term gain, It will build up a lot in my book.

Than for any cap room that is left - find a good olineman or two in free agency (I would prioritize center and there are 2 very good centers out there in FA) and ideally get a wideout you believe can help (even if in 3 years you are cutting them, if they can help in year 1-2 with Fields that is important).  

25 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

Most of us wanted the reset to happen last season, but at the same time, had we done that is it possible a different GM goes a different route in the draft at QB or even stays put at 20 and targets a different position or player and Fields ends up somewhere else.

It's really hard to know how things would have played out differently, could have even shaken out that a different GM stays at 20, NE takes Fields and we take Jones.  

If nothing else the non reset last offseason netted us Fields and he has the potential to be the answer at QB we've been looking for.  Now just need to surround him with talent and find a coach that can properly develop and get the most out of him.  It's an intriguing carrot to dangle out there for HC candidates.  As hard as Nagy tried I don't think he broke Justin but getting the right coach will be critical to his development.  

I have been an avid watcher of ESPN's NFL Live and just a couple of years ago Bill Polian was a regular contributor on that program which leads me to believe he is still connected in league circles. The only thing recently that worried me about Polian was he thought Lamar Jackson should become a WR.

4 hours ago, lemonej said:

The only thing recently that worried me about Polian was he thought Lamar Jackson should become a WR.

Gotta give Lamar credit on that one.  Bad thing is, I think his dominance is over.  He's already losing some of his elite ability and becoming dinged up.  Let's see if he makes the next transition.

So Polian was actually on the payroll since the middle of last January. (Nice stealth on that one George)  Polian evaluated every player, coach and inside personnel.  He made very clear that George led the process.  He gave Bill total control of the football side of interviewing.  Bill recommended Poles and George was in love with him.  As far as our roster was concerned, he said we have 6 blue chip players and that you need 12, so they have much work to do.  There is a plan, but he doesn't see it coming together this year.  It's going to take some time.  Loves Justin Fields but doesn't think he was put in a position to succeed. (Thus, some of thinking the brass pulled the plug on his season)  To no surprise, he identified the OL as the weakest link and that it's imperative to get that right when developing a QB 😤.   Lastly, he was asked if he was offered an actual position with the team and he told them upfront that would not happen, so he was noncommittal,  lol...

33 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Interesting.

By chance did anyone ask him about the leak of Nagy getting fired after the Detroit game? I think there was something to it and George fumbled.

I believe that is when the decision was made. You could tell by the Nagy news conferences, he was clearly acting different. The guy was over his head from day 1 but Fangio carried him until he left.

1 hour ago, adam said:

I believe that is when the decision was made. You could tell by the Nagy news conferences, he was clearly acting different. The guy was over his head from day 1 but Fangio carried him until he left.

He was different but I want to know why the Bears front office took nearly a week to come up with something. 

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

6 blue chippers:

Mack, Quinn, Roquan, Fields, Montgomery & Mooney?

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I think J. Johnson would be considered a plum. EJAK was, maybe he can get back there.

I would say Jaylon Johnson over Mooney.  Mooney doesn't scare anyone, but he is a solid keeper.

With the blue chippers, I am assuming those are players you could trade for something. I think you could get something for Mack, Quinn, Roquan, Fields, Johnson and possibly Jenkins, just based on his potential (similar to Fields). I don't know if any team is going to trade much more than a 6th or 7th for Mooney or Monty. 

7 minutes ago, adam said:

With the blue chippers, I am assuming those are players you could trade for something. I think you could get something for Mack, Quinn, Roquan, Fields, Johnson and possibly Jenkins, just based on his potential (similar to Fields). I don't know if any team is going to trade much more than a 6th or 7th for Mooney or Monty. 

Blue chippers he is referring to are difference makers.

I think team wise its your foundation players.

Monty, Roquin, Quinn, Mack, Mooney and Johnson. I think it is always evolving. Fields elevates to blue chip this year. EJAC was and could be back under an aggressive defensive coach. I think Jenkins will make hid presence known and become that. If they resign Daniels and move him to OC, he could become that.He is only24 years old. I think a problem with the team last year was poor leadership in coaching and on the field. You demand excellence, and it will motivate Jackson ( hopefully).

With a new group of coaches, the leaders need to step up. Fields, Jenkins and Monty on offense. Mack, Roquin, and Johnson on defense. I think Jenkins will give you the Olin Kruetz type of attitude and kick people's ass . Fields has to step up.

Mooney had a very good year as a 5th round pick in his second year. 

81, 1055 and 4 tds. All of that with little support from AROB taking pressure off of him. I think Kmet can take a step also. He quietly had 62 catches 602 yds. These guys had these numbers with a dysfunctional offense all yr. 

Mooney is a quality #2. They need to find the #1 at pick 39 in this yrs draft. 

WRs that may be there:

George Pickens

David Bell

John Metchie

• 1 month later...

I'd like to re-address the Polian effect.  There were question marks about whether George was really going to listen to the advice and to trust what Polian had to say on his evaluation of the front office, coaching staff and roster.  The other question was of Polian was simply going to crony up like Ernie Accorsi did.  The third part is whether Polian was still in touch and just going through the motions.

The question whether he was going through the motions should have been answered when we found that he started working for George, in secret, in late October 21.  He was here two full months before the season was finished, evaluating everything from the top down.  During this time, he was able to earn George and Ted's trust.  Leading to the answer of whether George would indeed heed the advice that was given.  Polian identified a weak roster with half of the blue chip players needed to have a championship team.  The answer was clear, as they hired the guy that came in and told them the truth, the same truth Polian told them.  That truth had been backed up by the action of reshaping the roster through trade, release and free agency.  A rebuild of the OL and an infusion of youth is the first order of business.  Both have been initiated, yet to be completed.

Two of the three questions have been answered.  The one remaining question is whether Polian is still relevant.  As I've always been a huge fan, my answer is yes.  As anyone can judge, I'm biased, so what say you?

I agree 100%. I loved the idea of Polian being called upon to act as an advisor. I was confident he had not lost touch with current trends, players, or schemes. That he would offer sound advice. The only question I had was would George LISTEN and ACCEPT Polian's advice and recommendations. It certainly appears he did. I am excited to see what our roster looks like by the time the season starts. I'm sure we are in for some major surprises over the next 5 months.

The jury is still out of course but the clear-cutting of the roster dead weight and others like Mack indicates a willingness to go in a new direction with a target of being competitive toward 2023/24.    Overall it's the right direction but this draft and the UDFA signings afterward will give us a good indication if we have the right people in charge.  I see the discussion on trading back and getting more picks but I'm more concerned with drafting 2 more of those 14 players we need to compete rather than just filling in the roster with depth players.  Rosters that finish 8 and 8 don't do much for me but give false hope.  I included UDFAs because Pace was always able to find 1 or 2 bottom of the roster players who could develop into contribute.   Players like Bars, Mustipher, Nall (special teams) are prime examples as backups.  We need that trend to continue or ideally get better.    

43 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

The jury is still out of course but the clear-cutting of the roster dead weight and others like Mack indicates a willingness to go in a new direction with a target of being competitive toward 2023/24.    Overall it's the right direction but this draft and the UDFA signings afterward will give us a good indication if we have the right people in charge.  I see the discussion on trading back and getting more picks but I'm more concerned with drafting 2 more of those 14 players we need to compete rather than just filling in the roster with depth players.  Rosters that finish 8 and 8 don't do much for me but give false hope.  I included UDFAs because Pace was always able to find 1 or 2 bottom of the roster players who could develop into contribute.   Players like Bars, Mustipher, Nall (special teams) are prime examples as backups.  We need that trend to continue or ideally get better.    

I am fine with wiping the slate clean and rebuilding truly in the mold of the GM.  The past two regimes went the direction of building with the blocks from past GMs.  

We won't know much about Poles until we see what the team looks like in 2023.  He should have a top 10 draft pick because do we think they will improve year 1 from the 7th slot?

You get an impression of Poles plan, but still are not sure of his evaluation of the current roster. Daniels is a good player but not great. He prefers a more physical player so he moves on. Does he think Jenkins and Borom are for real, seems that  way by not getting a OT yet. Last year he drafted 2  starters to KCs oline. A second and 6 th rounder. I'm curious on what his evaluation of Thomas Graham is.

On 3/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am fine with wiping the slate clean and rebuilding truly in the mold of the GM.  The past two regimes went the direction of building with the blocks from past GMs.  

We won't know much about Poles until we see what the team looks like in 2023.  He should have a top 10 draft pick because do we think they will improve year 1 from the 7th slot?

Agree, Emery and Pace tried to build with the pieces they had rather than cutting dead weight.  What Poles is doing reminds me more of when Angelo took over and cut dead weight and reshaping the roster.  We did find success from this process and he built a SB contending team under Lovie's leadership.  This is the better approach by making an honest evaluation of the roster top to bottom, and make some hard choices to rebuild the team the right way.