Roster Going Forward...

Mongo3451

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

This is going to cause me to re-think the entire offseason.  We aren't going to hear anything publicly about Poles evaluations of our Oline but it sounds like some significant changes are headed our way.  Given the fact Fields' success is key to Poles' success this is likely job 1 this offseason.  

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/ryan-poles-won-over-bears-with-brutal-honesty-on-current-roster/

You have to take  with a grain of salt what is other peoples opinions and what's true. They have no idea what Poles thinks.In the video the guy hesitates before he tells you what Poles thinks. I took a body language class, that is clearly an indication he doesn't know and has to make something up. The note he got? Only 5 people in the room. Someone passed him a note? He never talked to anybody. First we are changing the blocking scheme. Second he likes  mobile and physicality. Whitehair and Jenkins fit that mold. Bosom has only been here one year, they are still evaluating him. Daniels may be a better player as a OC. In the beginning his problem was play calling not blocking. Daniels was considered the best center prospect that yr. I think because the line has so many issues last year that Daniels didn't earn a big paycheck. Give him a 4 year- 26 mil and put him at OC. Next Poles will decide to pay Orlando Brown 20mil a yr .and put him at LT or draft one. If that's the decision, Jenkins plays RT and can Boron be our RG going forward?  I think Whitehair is safe at LG. IMO Brown-Whitehair-Daniels-Borom-Jenkins will be our line. Borom and Jenkins are on cheap deals, Daniels won't be expensive. The perfect scenario to go out and pay Brown. Once the oline is fixed, he won't have money to pay a WR , so there will be a couple drafted. KC has big cap issues, they won't be able to pay Brown the money he wants. I think paying Brown (26) and bringing back Daniels at OC fixes the line. What say you.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So my first predictions are resigning Daniels and getting Orlando Brown. Brown will be the only big signing. I expect we draft a couple of WRs and cut Cohen. With that money bring back Grant (speed). So Mooney, Newsome, Grant will be the start of the WR group. Kmet, Monty any Herbert will be our offense going forward. Expect cheap signings to fill in the defense, one 20 mil contract will blow our cap up.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

So my first predictions are resigning Daniels and getting Orlando Brown. Brown will be the only big signing. I expect we draft a couple of WRs and cut Cohen. With that money bring back Grant (speed). So Mooney, Newsome, Grant will be the start of the WR group. Kmet, Monty any Herbert will be our offense going forward. Expect cheap signings to fill in the defense, one 20 mil contract will blow our cap up.

Based on most bang for your buck, these are the cheapest positions based on average salary:

FB $1.7M
TE $2.3M
RB $2.4M
G $2.8M
S $3.1M
CB $3.3M

Trade and cut candidates are Foles, Jackson, Goldman, Cohen, and Graham.

1. Foles is in the last year of his contract, so that makes it appealing to some other teams. A trade would free up $8M, and a pre-June 1 cut is $3M. Since he is on his last year, post June 1 does nothing. So to me, the only options for Foles is trade or cut. I can't see Poles carrying Foles for $10.6M with the other holes to fill. 

2. Jackson has a $15M cap hit for this year. Outside of a restructure, a post-June 1 trade designation would free up $11M. The only other viable option is post June 1 cut saving $6.1M. 

3. Goldman has an $11.8M cap hit. I don't think he fits the Eberflus defense and was terrible last year. A pre-June 1 cut and trade have the same value for the Bears, they would save $6.6M in cap space. I could see a team giving up a 6th or 7th for him. Either way, he probably has the highest likelihood as a cut candidate. Post June 1 would save a whopping $8.8M but that wouldn't be able to be used until after June 1st. 

4. Cohen has a $5.7M cap hit and hasn't played in 2 years. He would save the team $2.2M pre June 1 cut and $4M after. I feel like he is most likely going to be a post June 1 cut and the Bears can use that money for late free agency, in season moves or roll over to 2023. 

5. Graham is another option for a post June 1 cut. Anything pre June 1st and the Bears save zero. So they would either keep him on the roster or do a post June 1 cut. That would save the team $3.5M.

So my guess would be the following:

1. Foles pre-June 1 cut - save $3M
2. Jackson restructure - save $5M
3. Goldman pre-June 1 cut - save $6.6M
4. Cohen pre-June 1 cut - save $2.2M
5. Graham post-June 1 cut - save $3.5M

Cap savings pre June 1st = $16.8, post June 1st = $3.5M. Total cap savings $20.3M. The Bears currently have $28.6, so they would start free agency with $45.4M. That would be amazing. That is without touching Mack's which has a $30M cap hit. With 3 yrs left and a void year, I can see them moving some money to future years and save 4-6M this year. That would put the cap over $50M which would be 5th in the NFL. You could easily get 2-3 top FAs, 2-3 mid-tier FAs and a few vet minimum guys for that amount. 

Also, Goldman would be the only "starter" to replace. Foles, Cohen, and Graham were all backups or didn't play last year (Cohen).

Based on their current deals and snap counts, you almost have to resign Daniels and Nichols. The Bears need to upgrade at Center, CB, and S, and will now need another a different type of LB for the 4-3. Trevathan is not it. If they cut Goldman, I could see them re-signing both Nichols and Hicks.

11 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I haven't payed attention to the damning measurable, other than we drafted a 1st rd talent at OT. Thanks Mongo lol.

Poles said he liked Jenkins, so I feel alright for now.  He doesn't like Borum according to the podcast. 

According to the NFL.Com scouting report, Jenkins is a boom or bust prospect.  What podcast are you referring to?  I'm curious...

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

According to the NFL.Com scouting report, Jenkins is a boom or bust prospect.  What podcast are you referring to?  I'm curious...

It was from the blog posted earlier. Where they supposedly heard what Poles said in his interview.  Which I doubt anyone heard

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/ryan-poles-won-over-bears-with-brutal-honesty-on-current-roster/

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

It was from the blog posted earlier. Where they supposedly heard what Poles said in his interview.  Which I doubt anyone heard

I don't think he heard.  This is 3rd hand info where someone from the interviews was talking about how Poles wasn't kind to our current roster including the Oline.  That's probably all we got for details and the rest, as Stinger said, is likely pure speculation.  Nonetheless, we also have Poles' statement during the press conference that explosive plays start with the Oline.   

Poles has to evaluate the oline but what if he likes Whitehair, Jenkins and Borom? If he thinks Daniels is a good OC and brings him back? That would only be one new spot to fill the OL. To be fair, we know very little about Jenkins and Borom, so they will be like new additions.  If he chooses to bring in free agents, I don't want a average signing. I want LTs like Armsted, Cam Robinson or Orlando Brown. Or OC Ryan Jensen. That instantly give us some creed. Between the OL and extending Roquin, that will be our big FA money gets. So in looking to fill in spots on D and new WRs, they will be on the cheap side. You figure the draft could land us 2 starters, and a couple team contributors. A WR and CB? 

Seen a video of an interview with Poles on ESPN. They asked him about free agency. He said that there are a lot of players in tier2 and 3 that can add to your football team. I think besides getting Roquin on a long term deal, there will only be one high priced FA added. The rest will be after the first wave of deals. The only expensive deal KC added last year was Joe Tuney, the rest were mid level deals. 

10 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Poles has to evaluate the oline but what if he likes Whitehair, Jenkins and Borom? If he thinks Daniels is a good OC and brings him back? That would only be one new spot to fill the OL. To be fair, we know very little about Jenkins and Borom, so they will be like new additions.  If he chooses to bring in free agents, I don't want a average signing. I want LTs like Armsted, Cam Robinson or Orlando Brown. Or OC Ryan Jensen. That instantly give us some creed. Between the OL and extending Roquin, that will be our big FA money gets. So in looking to fill in spots on D and new WRs, they will be on the cheap side. You figure the draft could land us 2 starters, and a couple team contributors. A WR and CB? 

Maybe, but what if he likes them all as Interior Oline?  Then we're back looking for 2 OTs and assuming he'd move Whitehair to OC, there's no need to re-sign Daniels.    

10 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Maybe, but what if he likes them all as Interior Oline?  Then we're back looking for 2 OTs and assuming he'd move Whitehair to OC, there's no need to re-sign Daniels.    

In one month we will have our answers. We will see who he resigns and then who he targets in free agency. since I tink we all agree , he will give Roquin  a new contract. That will limit our FA money. I think 1 expensive contract and the 2nd and 3rd wave FAs. If he goes after a OL, that will say a lot about his evaluation of our players.

On 2/7/2022 at 2:33 PM, Bill said:

Listening to a bears podcast and almost every coach except the HC and ;couple others all have SB rings and both front office guys so far?

I didn't know that. I know Poles and Cunningham do from their times at KC and PHI. I would have to check on the other staff. 

On 2/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, Mongo3451 said:

So I did a draft today and it is a pipe dream.  I only traded back in the second round to gain more picks.  It took about 2 hours to complete this due to researching every player.  All needs, all good fits!

Screenshot_20220202-143006_Chrome.jpg

I love reading the profiles while shopping. Really like this draft with a few trade downs. 

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 12 (CLE): Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama (A)   can play 3T in 4-3, 6T in 3-4. 
Round 3 Pick 11 (DEN): Christian Harris, ILB/OLB, Alabama (A+)  Mike in 4-3. 
Round 3 Pick 14 (CLE): Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama (A+) size, speed, hands, routes... grades out high in all.
Round 4 Pick 15 (N.O.): Brandon Joseph, FS/SS, Northwestern (A+) big, physical, can play either S position. 
Round 5 Pick 5: Darrian Beavers, ILB/OLB, Cincinnati (A+) will play SLB in 4-3, OLB in 3-4
Round 5 Pick 7: Zion Nelson, OT, Miami (A+)- LT at Miami, could compete with Jenkins/Borum 
Round 5 Pick 18 (N.O.): Cole Strange, OG, Chattanooga (A+) solid RT prospect 
Round 6 Pick 7: Zander Horvath, FB/RB, Purdue (A)- Mike Alstott 2.0. Would go higher if he didn't break fibula.  He is the Derrik Henry or AJ Dillion big RB.

Bears re-tool the D.  Get starting 3T, two starting LBs, starting SS.  On offense, they get pieces that could contribute right away at WR and RB and competition to eventually take OLT, RG. 

They will need to drop some money on offense in FA.  Why not get a WR? They have been paying top coin to Arob, why not give that to Adam's?

I'm curious if Charles Snowden could play the Sam LB spot? He's still on the roster and was originally projected as a 3-4 Rd pick. Not sure why he dropped. If we have some cheap talent already here , it would be very favorable for cap structure. Also Sam Kamara is still here , could he play the 3-T in a backup role? They like his pass rush ability.

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Poles value chart.  1.QB, 2.OTs, 3. Pass Rush 4. CBs 5. LBs, 6. FS.

Tells you how he might view the draft and FA.

Bears may look OT and CB with 2nd and 3rd if they don't see a OLT on the roster.  

Where did you see he stated value system? I haven't read that. The only two statements I seen him make are to improve the OL and playmakers for Fields.

He has stated several times how you can find players in the 2nd and 3rd wave of FAgency. I expect one expensive contract to be given out.  

LT Orlando Brown, OC Ryan Jensen, LT Terrain Armsted, LT Cam Robinson.

WR Mike Gallup, WR Mike Williams, WR DJ Chark, WR Christian Kirk

OG Graham Glasgow, Mark Glowinski, OG Taken Tomilson

I can see us given a 12 mil a yr contract to one of these. 

Realistically    Ryan Jensen, DJ Chark, Christian Kirk, Mark Glowinski are the only ones that fall in that price range. 

I just seen a story about Ted Karras, OC , Patriots. UFA, 28 started for NE last year because David Andrews was out for the year due to injury. Previous year started for Dolphins. Went U of I and comes from Chicago. Would be a cheap target to be our starting OC. Maybe 3 year 14 mil. To be honest, have no idea how well he played. Anyone have information?

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:
12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I just seen a story about Ted Karras, OC , Patriots. UFA, 28 started for NE last year because David Andrews was out for the year due to injury. Previous year started for Dolphins. Went U of I and comes from Chicago. Would be a cheap target to be our starting OC. Maybe 3 year 14 mil. To be honest, have no idea how well he played. Anyone have information?

Karras would be an upgrade over Mustipher for sure.

Overthecap has him at $6M for 2021: https://overthecap.com/player/ted-karras/4934/

Probably something in the range of 3/20 would do it.

18 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Poles value chart.  1.QB, 2.OTs, 3. Pass Rush 4. CBs 5. LBs, 6. FS.

Tells you how he might view the draft and FA.

Bears may look OT and CB with 2nd and 3rd if they don't see a OLT on the roster.  

So Fields, Jenkins/Borom, Mack/Quinn/Gipson, Johnson/Graham/?, Smith/Trevathan/?, Jackson?

Hole to fill: CB2/3

Upgrades are needed: OT, CB2/3, ILB2 and potentially FS.

Pretty hard not to include WR1 in that. So I still think it is OT, CB, WR as the top 3.