Roster Going Forward...

Mongo3451

This year is a great opportunity in the draft.  Every time you get a new coach or GM you have the opportunity to steal intell from other teams.  So far, we have ours, KC's and Indy's.  That's a very good start.

With all this great info, we lack picks, so let's get some.  I'll start by trading Quinn.  He just had his best season, so his value will never be higher.  Plus, he had only one year left on his contract which makes it even sweeter.  We should be able to get what Denver got for Von Miller, at a minimum.  Next up is Foles.  Can we get a fifth rounder?  Next, cut or trade both Eddies. Lastly, it's time for Mack to go.  If his foot is finally healthy, he is still a stud.  My hope would be to get a second and third for him.

With those moves, we're looking at 4-6 more picks and a crap ton of free agent money to upgrade the offense.

I would let the defense suffer a little this year with a youth movement allowing energy to do what he does best while the offense gets solid.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

This year is a great opportunity in the draft.  Every time you get a new coach or GM you have the opportunity to steal intell from other teams.  So far, we have ours, KC's and Indy's.  That's a very good start.

With all this great info, we lack picks, so let's get some.  I'll start by trading Quinn.  He just had his best season, so his value will never be higher.  Plus, he had only one year left on his contract which makes it even sweeter.  We should be able to get what Denver got for Von Miller, at a minimum.  Next up is Foles.  Can we get a fifth rounder?  Next, cut or trade both Eddies. Lastly, it's time for Mack to go.  If his foot is finally healthy, he is still a stud.  My hope would be to get a second and third for him.

With those moves, we're looking at 4-6 more picks and a crap ton of free agent money to upgrade the offense.

I would let the defense suffer a little this year with a youth movement allowing energy to do what he does best while the offense gets solid.

It is going to be interesting. Poles and Eberflus are better off than Pace and Fox was. The team is better postured for the future, even with a few of the older guys. My thought is they use Mack and Quinn one more year in the 4-3, then look to move them next year, unless an offer comes up that you can't refuse. It would depend on what Poles would use the cap space on or how much dead money they would incur with a trade. 

For their age and money, I don't see getting value for them unless you find a Rams type team trying to go for it. Poles was a OL and Flus has always been a DL coach so I see them looking at them as a value not a liability.Miller went to Rams on a vet minimum for one year, you're going to have to pay big money for Mack or Quinn.

Poles  was part of the process that overhauled the KC OL so I see him making that his first priority. Next would be playmakers for Fields. I think we will only be bringing in one high priced FA, if  not Ryan Jensen then a WR. It won't be ARob, Adams or Godwin. So Mike Williams seems like a fit, big WR. 12 to 15 mil a Year? I can see them cutting Cohen and using that money to bring back Grant. Other names I like Christian Kirk, Michael Gallup, Bryon Pringle and Zay Jones. 

To transform the D, it might not take as much on the run. I seen an Opinion if Hicks leaves they replace with DeForest Buckner and can leave Goldman/Tonga in for run downs and find a 3T that can get pressure on pass downs. At DE, we have two greats.  A Mike LB is a big need, so finding one that can play coverage in the flats LB/S mold will be familiar. One thing I recall about the Lovie years is all the Safties they seemed to draft, which we already need a starter or maybe two.  

On offense, the oline is actually pretty set if they get James Daniel locked up.  Talk to Cody and James to see if they move one of them to Center or if that needs to be addressed by drafting or signing a FA.  Signing a #1 WR to give Fields a reliable target is a priority, which I would love William's. 

Big FA needs: 5T to replace Hicks, #1WR to replace ARob. Re-sign Daniel's. 

Big Draft needs: MLB, C/G, S, 

Other needs - FA/Draft : CB, Will LB, WR, TE, 3T DT. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:51 AM, Mongo3451 said:

I understand the concept and the logic behind it.  While I'm not totally against this I can confidently state I have zero interest in watching a cover-2 coverage scheme with no pass rush upfront.  I'd quietly float that these players are available and if someone were to give me an offer I couldn't refuse I'd take it. I wouldn't be actively shopping them.  Otherwise I'm keeping both and i think they are very good fits for what Eberflus wants on D.    

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Otherwise I'm keeping both and i think they are very good fits for what Eberflus wants on D.   

Totally agree with this part.  I'm simply looking at a great draft opportunity that will not occur next year.  We currently have top intell from 4 teams with no way to capitalize.  I was willing to sacrifice last season, and now willing to sacrifice this one.

4 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

The Broncos got a second and third rounder in this years draft for Miller, but agreed to pay most of this year's salary. 

I would be good with that. Ideally get something like a 2nd & 4th this year and a 2nd next year but I would be fine with the Rams package or a 2nd this year and next year (which is the equivalent). If I could get a 1st and future 2nd for Mack I would do that too. 

If I had to keep one I think it would be Mack - let him show he is healthy and than move him. Move Quinn now while his value is high. Both are old and won’t be part of Bears better squads. 

We look at it as Mack and Quinn are getting older, get what you can for them. Flus mouth is watering , what can he do with two premium pass rushers. He has never had that. There contracts prohibit them from being traded. If we trade Mack this year, we have to take an Instant 30 mil cap hit. Quinn would cost 13 mil. We are not going to take away valuable cap space for future picks. Those trades will never happen for aged players.

1 minute ago, Mongo3451 said:

So I did a draft today and it is a pipe dream.  I only traded back in the second round to gain more picks.  It took about 2 hours to complete this due to researching every player.  All needs, all good fits!

Screenshot_20220202-143006_Chrome.jpg

Gotta say I love the first pick.  I can't help but repeat if Fields gets a receiver he's familiar with he could easily follow the footsteps that Burrow is doing now.  And anyone from the Georgia defense will be a good gain regardless of position.  Have to ask, are you a Penn State fan?  Pierce out of Cincinnati has been a big piece of the success the Wildcats had this year.  

5 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

So I did a draft today and it is a pipe dream.  I only traded back in the second round to gain more picks.  It took about 2 hours to complete this due to researching every player.  All needs, all good fits!

Nice work Mongo. I would love Olave, especially that deep in the 2nd. That would definitely be a haul. I would be happy with 5 of those guys, let alone 10.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Wow all A+, I've did them a 100 times and my highest was 48000. how many trades? Had to be at least 2. No CBs. Olave and Pierce would be huge.

If we go by the GMs own words, he's addressing the oline first. I would Say to be realistic, may be able to add a couple extra picks with trade backs. So with 7 picks, 2 oline  picks. Will add speed with WRs and DBs. Should be able to add 2 starters and  two more that contribute the first yr. If he can get a OT, maybe move Borom to guard. Or draft a new OC or OG and move Daniels to OC if they resign him. Then a starter at CB and two

WRs that contribute.

10 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I like the draft but I still can't see how Olave makes it out of the first round much less to the middle of Rd 2.  That might have been possible before injuries to Metchie and Williams.  Teams in the back half of Rd 1 that are intent on getting a productive WR who can likely start in Week 1 aren't going to be able to wait until the back half of Rd 2.   At that point we'd be getting into the window where Metchie and Williams could be taken if their injuries look like a full recovery, but they won't be playing much early in the season if at all.  I can see someone like Drake London being there for us.  He's basically a replacement for ARob who can win the jump ball, back shoulder catches, great redzone target at 6'5" but can't run away from anyone.  Other WRs have been listed as Rd 1 WRs but they don't impress me much: Bell, Burks, Wilson and I feel like you can find similar value maybe with a higher ceiling later in the draft in guys like Doubs, who needs development but has good athleticism, or Pierce (who you have in the 4th).   Jahan Dotson will likely go late 1st too just because he's electric.  

Devonte Wyatt is an Eberflus type player.  Really good quickness, he has good strength and can anchor but he's more of a 1-gap DT and he hustles all over the field.  I could see him being our 2nd Rd pick.  If not us, I expect another team to take him in Rd 2.   If you can get him in Rd 3 that's a steal IMO.      

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Wow all A+, I've did them a 100 times and my highest was 48000. how many trades? Had to be at least 2. No CBs. Olave and Pierce would be huge.

Three trades.  Take a look at the 6th and 7th round players I got.  Both can potentially play OT with their athleticism.  The OG is a former TE.  Both have good feet when you watch the film.

This is going to cause me to re-think the entire offseason.  We aren't going to hear anything publicly about Poles evaluations of our Oline but it sounds like some significant changes are headed our way.  Given the fact Fields' success is key to Poles' success this is likely job 1 this offseason.  

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/ryan-poles-won-over-bears-with-brutal-honesty-on-current-roster/

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

This is going to cause me to re-think the entire offseason.  We aren't going to hear anything publicly about Poles evaluations of our Oline but it sounds like some significant changes are headed our way.  Given the fact Fields' success is key to Poles' success this is likely job 1 this offseason.  

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/ryan-poles-won-over-bears-with-brutal-honesty-on-current-roster/

I agree with looking at moving Whitehair back to C or maybe even Daniel's if he can be re-signed. Not sure I agree on the Borum assessment because he looked decent being a rookie. Maybe he was not the best selection if Jenkins/Borum are both only RTs.  

I still am curious at seeing Daniel's at C since Kreutz once thought he would be all-pro there. It would be easier finding a RG than a C.

5 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I agree with looking at moving Whitehair back to C or maybe even Daniel's if he can be re-signed. Not sure I agree on the Borum assessment because he looked decent being a rookie. Maybe he was not the best selection if Jenkins/Borum are both only RTs.  

I still am curious at seeing Daniel's at C since Kreutz once thought he would be all-pro there. It would be easier finding a RG than a C.

I'm not very good evaluating Oline,  perhaps Borom would fit better at one of LG/RG positions.  He has good feet but does struggle a bit with speed off the edge.  Or maybe it's the noted lack of arm length where he can't quite push DEs far enough off-balance to get them behind the QB.  Overall for a 5th Rd pick who was shuffled around the Oline quite a bit he played well enough IMO to know he's a keeper.  The question is where.    

Retooling will take a few years. Poles and Flus will have to work with some pieces they have and make the most out of the draft.  I traded down a couple times to try and fill holes.

Your Picks:
Round 2 Pick 12 (CLE): Christian Harris, ILB/OLB, Alabama (B+) - meet the future Urlacher. Harris is a natural in coverage and starts at MLB.
Round 3 Pick 7: Jordan Battle, FS/SS, Alabama (A+) versatile Battle takes over at SS and sparks a resurgence in Eddie Jackson.
Round 3 Pick 17 (NYG): Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama (A+) - 6-3 190 the do-all Receiver without the big school hype. 
Round 5 Pick 5: Cade Mays, OG, Tennessee (A+) Big Nasty RG. 
Round 5 Pick 11 (PHI): Tariq Woolen, CB, UTSA (A+) small school CB that is climbing boards. 
Round 6 Pick 7: Clint Ratkovich, RB, Northern Illinois (A+) RB/FB/HB/TE - FB that can be used other than blocking
Round 6 Pick 29 (PHI): Reggie Roberson Jr., WR, SMU (A+) - speed threat to stretch field. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

It is going to be interesting to see what happens with the current guys. How many guys are getting re-signed, cut, etc. I wonder what Poles thinks of Jenkins and Borom, are they his answer at tackles? 

My guess is no.  Borom actually looks to be a more suitable tackle than Jenkins.  Arm length is very important in an offensive tackle in the NFL and Jenkins has stubs.  I can honestly see him moving inside and becoming the next Kyle Long.  If I'm Poles, I'm praying Jason Peters can play one more season.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

My guess is no.  Borom actually looks to be a more suitable tackle than Jenkins.  Arm length is very important in an offensive tackle in the NFL and Jenkins has stubs.  I can honestly see him moving inside and becoming the next Kyle Long.  If I'm Poles, I'm praying Jason Peters can play one more season.

I haven't payed attention to the damning measurable, other than we drafted a 1st rd talent at OT. Thanks Mongo lol.

Poles said he liked Jenkins, so I feel alright for now.  He doesn't like Borum according to the podcast.