Harbaugh flying to MN tomorrow

Chitownhustla

Im sorry to get negative but George screwed up.  If Jim Harbaugh was available he was the only HC candidate in this years hiring cycle that was a NO brainer. George could have hired Jim and even if it failed no one could question why he hired Jim. If Eberflaus fails and Jim wins in MN George is going to look like the dumb ass we already know he is. Does George get a 4th chance at fixing the Bears????? 

After the presser , I really Like Poles. Eberflaus didnt wow me but he didnt piss me off. If they win this post will never get brought back up. 

The Bears reportedly contacted Harbaugh. My guess is he declined the interview either from past relationship experiences or he wanted power of GM/Coach.  I am fine not having Harbaugh. I would like to see a front office built like GB, Indy, Baltimore, Pit and the coach isn't above the team. 

11 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The Bears reportedly contacted Harbaugh. My guess is he declined the interview either from past relationship experiences or he wanted power of GM/Coach.  I am fine not having Harbaugh. I would like to see a front office built like GB, Indy, Baltimore, Pit and the coach isn't above the team. 

There had been a rumor floated that Harbaugh was asking for a Gruden type deal; 10 years at $10 Million each. If true, think that scared ownership more than anything.  Especially with how things recently panned out in Vegas.  

I like how the team is re-constructing itself.  Poles seems like the genuine article  and brought along that other up and coming exec from Philly to help him make GM level decisions. Which is a great way to go about this, especially with him being a new GM.  

Historically speaking the Bears seem to do better when their defense does good or great.  I get a Vic Fangio vibe from Eberflus but without the total hard ass edge to him.  Fangio liked law and order but his people skills lacked a bit.  Todays player, like the younger generation as a whole, are a different  animal. If what we’ve read about Eberflus is true, I’m looking forward to the Marinelli “loaf” concept and the Lovie Smith ‘cover 2’ style defense along with Eberflus’ own “H.I.T.S” philosophy added to the overall team.  Should be fun football. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I like how the team is re-constructing itself.  Poles seems like the genuine artifact and brought along that other up and coming exec from Philly to help him make GM level decisions. Which is a great way to go about this, especially with him being a new GM.

Totally this.  Poles talks about building from a concrete foundation.  He doesn't subscribe to quick fixes and big free agent splashes.  Since he wants to build through the draft, I'm still hoping we can acquire a few more picks this year.  We won't have an opportunity to use four different franchises scouting intell next year.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

Totally this.  Poles talks about building from a concrete foundation.  He doesn't subscribe to quick fixes and big free agent splashes.  Since he wants to build through the draft, I'm still hoping we can acquire a few more picks this year.  We won't have an opportunity to use four different franchises scouting intell next year.

We can gain picks, but it will require trading down from the high 2nd.  The only position I would take with that slot is a WR or DT.

56 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

We can gain picks, but it will require trading down from the high 2nd.  The only position I would take with that slot is a WR or DT.

I felt like Poles hinted at fact they are going to trade some veterans during some of his road show. I suspect we get some day 2 / day 3 picks, whether it is dangling Mack/Quinn (or dealing Eddie Jackson - not saying you get a day 2 for him). What I am really curious on is the new front office willing to bite the bullet and kind of "write-off" part of the year but accelerate future years by accelerating some of the cap problems into this year (means minimal FA - but totally opens up future years an maybe you can add some additional draft capital).  

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I'm sure he still wants too much control and I prefer the new organization we have.  

He is notorious for wearing his welcome out where ever he goes. I think its best for Fields that grows with the coach. If successful, long term coach and stability for 10 yrs. I'm okay with what went down.

For the reasons stated above I think we're best off without Harbaugh, even though many of us, myself included liked or at least welcomed the idea as he's had success on both college and pro level, and seems to find success wherever he goes, and he has Bears connections.  He would want full control of the team and roster.  That would go against what we're trying to build here.  It essentially makes your GM more of an assistant GM who lacks power to do anything the HC doesn't like.  It's not a structure that usually works out well, or one that see's sustained success.  I like what we are building here structure wise.  Eberflus may succeed, he may fail, but that's the case with any HC hire.   A good HC can fail if it's not a good fit for the team and himself.  I think we may have gotten it right with Poles as GM, and I think Ebefflus has the right mentality that this team needs and meshes well with Poles.

At this point all we know is what's been reported and what we saw at the presser.  This is that time when everyone's hopefully we got it right this time.  Only time will tell if that comes to fruition.  I'm good with the direction we're going. at least on paper.  I hope like the rest of us that 3-4 years down the road we aren't right back here hitting the reset again.  This time feels different to me.  While I like Harbaugh, and what he could potentially bring to the table, but I don't think it'd be the right fit for where we are going.

36 minutes ago, BearFan2000 said:

For the reasons stated above I think we're best off without Harbaugh, even though many of us, myself included liked or at least welcomed the idea as he's had success on both college and pro level, and seems to find success wherever he goes, and he has Bears connections.  He would want full control of the team and roster.  That would go against what we're trying to build here.  It essentially makes your GM more of an assistant GM who lacks power to do anything the HC doesn't like.  It's not a structure that usually works out well, or one that see's sustained success.  I like what we are building here structure wise.  Eberflus may succeed, he may fail, but that's the case with any HC hire.   A good HC can fail if it's not a good fit for the team and himself.  I think we may have gotten it right with Poles as GM, and I think Ebefflus has the right mentality that this team needs and meshes well with Poles.

At this point all we know is what's been reported and what we saw at the presser.  This is that time when everyone's hopefully we got it right this time.  Only time will tell if that comes to fruition.  I'm good with the direction we're going. at least on paper.  I hope like the rest of us that 3-4 years down the road we aren't right back here hitting the reset again.  This time feels different to me.  While I like Harbaugh, and what he could potentially bring to the table, but I don't think it'd be the right fit for where we are going.

Interestingly we hired the anti-Harbaugh in our new GM.  Poles wants people to challenge him and robust discussion before making decisions.  

The Vikings lost out on Fields, drafted Mond. Lost out on Poles, hired Adofo-Mensah, and now thought they had Harbaugh in the bag only to hire O'Connell who goes from OC that didn't call plays to HC. He was the WAS OC in 2019 when they had the worst offense in the league lol. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

The Vikings lost out on Fields, drafted Mond. Lost out on Poles, hired Adofo-Mensah, and now thought they had Harbaugh in the bag only to hire O'Connell who goes from OC that didn't call plays to HC. He was the WAS OC in 2019 when they had the worst offense in the league lol. 

lol that's what you call a series of unfortunate events.  Unfortunate only for Vikings, satire for the rest of us.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, adam said:

They have a $45mil QB who can solve all their problems.  Cut him?  Dead money $45mil. Cap savings 0