Off season movement

Alaskan Grizzly

Didn’t see anyone else mention this but I apologize if I’m repeating some of the other big NFL news.  I naturally thought the title of this would at least involve the word ‘movement’ as when I think of one, I instantly think of Rodgers. Even though he’s not really moving he’s sticking around for a few more years with his new 4 year $200 million deal.  And GB applied the franchise tag to Adams right about the same time.  So those two will be around to witness 1st hand how Fields will eventually supplant him as the best QB in the NFC North and “own” GB for years to come.  

In other, more notable news, Russell Wilson was traded to Denver for a couple 1st’s, three (?) players and a couple more lesser round picks.  Vic Fangios probably saying why couldn’t they have done this last season?  Anyhow, Seattle also released LB Bobby Wagner (who started in Seattle the same time Wilson did).  All this will probably change the FA and draft season for us a bit?  Does GB have any money to give Rodgers what he needs to make another SB season?  

Lastly, I appreciated this Tweet highlighting the days events.  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Bay will make it work but giving Rodgers 50mil and tagging Adams (20 mil) they are going to lose some good players. They were already 45 mil in the hole. But that included 46 mil going to Rodgers. They 27 free agents plus have to cut some salary. No Campbell, Rasual Douglas, Kenny King, Robert Tonyan, and almost all of there WRs. I don't think they will be as good as previous 2 years.

The Seahawks/Broncos trade is interesting. If the Bears/Seahawks pulled the trigger last year with the same picks and player positions, it would've looked something like this:

Bears get: Wilson and 2021 4th
Seahawks get: Fields, Jenkins, Borom, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd, Kmet, Nichols, and Foles

I know everyone is talking about how Denver got a steal, but if Seattle drafts a QB at #9 like say Malik Willis, then an OL at #40, then has 2x 1sts and 2x 2nds next year, they can pretty much reset their entire team with 8-10 young players as their new core like they did with Wilson and Wagner's year group.

Obviously, it makes sense for both teams at this time, but for the long term, it seems like Seattle has a better shot. Both teams finished 7-10 last year. If Seattle couldn't make it work with Wilson in Seattle, what is going to change in Denver? Chubb is due for a huge extension and the expectation is for Wilson to sign a huge long-term deal in Denver. So is that enough to pass KC, LAC, TEN, and BUF because they won't have any first or second-rounders for the next two years.

For the Broncos, they not only have the most difficult path to a SB in the AFC West, they now have a new coaching staff and a new starting QB. So there is zero continuity, and who knows what the defense will look like without Fangio and Von Miller.

3 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Green Bay will make it work but giving Rodgers 50mil and tagging Adams (20 mil) they are going to lose some good players. They were already 45 mil in the hole. But that included 46 mil going to Rodgers. They 27 free agents plus have to cut some salary. No Campbell, Rasual Douglas, Kenny King, Robert Tonyan, and almost all of there WRs. I don't think they will be as good as previous 2 years.

They are going to add several void years to Rodgers deal, so I am sure this year's hit could go as low as the mid-30s which will put them closer to $30M over. Preston Smith would save $12M, Cobb would save $6.7M, Lowry $4M, and Jenkins $4M, that's $26.7M right there. Then they will restructure a few more to free enough for a few min FA vets and the rookie pool, but that's it. They will definitely be going into this season with a worse team unless they somehow strike gold with a few of their draft picks.

10 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Denver gave up a lot but if I could choose a team according to roster, I would take Denver.

Compared to Seattle, right now, for sure. However, depending on how Seattle drafts, that will look completely different in 2-3 years.

1 hour ago, adam said:

They are going to add several void years to Rodgers deal, so I am sure this year's hit could go as low as the mid-30s which will put them closer to $30M over. Preston Smith would save $12M, Cobb would save $6.7M, Lowry $4M, and Jenkins $4M, that's $26.7M right there. Then they will restructure a few more to free enough for a few min FA vets and the rookie pool, but that's it. They will definitely be going into this season with a worse team unless they somehow strike gold with a few of their draft picks.

Z Smith looks like a cut option. I just don't see how the Packers get better than last years squad with having to subtract to get under the cap. 

It's sounding like the original reported 4 years 200 mil deal is not true, and that a deal is not worked out yet other than Rodgers intends to be back, and from the sounds of it (Macafee, and Rodgers' own tweet) that the intention is to make the extension team friendly.  I have no doubt his verbal commitment to GB included them committing to bringing back Adams, outside of that it's hard to know what the collateral damage will be to the roster to keep both Rodgers and Adams.  I'm bummed it wasn't a 200 mill contract plus the 20 mill to tag Adams as that would have made it hard to put as much talent around them as they did in the past.  If Rodgers is smart and can think of the bigger picture instead of himself only then it's possible they are able to keep enough talent there to compete each year.  I could see Love being traded but what value would he bring?

It does annoy me to some degree that they keep calling it the last dance, where I assume Rodgers thinks of himself as MJ and perhaps Adams as Pippen.  In his entire time in GB they've won 1 championship.   MJ and the Bulls entered their last dance having just come off winning their 5th title in 7 seasons and Phil only called it the last dance because everyone knew Krouse was going to likely blow it up at seasons end.  And it was their intention to go out on top and win one last championship.  Rodgers (and even including the Favre years) have very little to show for in the way of titles to even compare themselves to the 90's Bulls.   I absolutely loved the quote from Barkley that "Rodgers is that girl you have to tell her she's pretty every day" Pretty much nailed it.

Reality though is that like many of us had hoped (myself included) that Rodgers would leave town, Adams would leave and Jordan Love era would begin leading to the Packers decline while the Bears go on the rise.  But, the more I think about it I'd much rather see Fields come into his own, and the Bears rise up and beat them at full strength, the victory would be far more satisfying.  

The Wilson trade I feel is a tale of two teams and can't fully be judged till we see how the picks Seattle gained play out.   Denver is looking at this trade in more of a win now short term view. Problem for them though is they have a good defense, their offense is meh, and they play in a strong division.  Which means their road to the SB will likely involve road games against some of the best in the AFC.  Does Wilson put them over the top?  Maybe, and it's a gamble.  For Seattle there wasn't going to be much future with Wilson there as he wanted out, why not parley his value to build for the future.  If they draft well, they could be setting themselves up with a solid core to build a winner again.  At the moment I give the edge in this trade to Seattle given the potential to rebuild and get good value out of their aging star while they can.  I think both teams are getting what they are looking for potentially.  Win now or win later.  

This appears to be a bit of a win-now scenario with them keeping both Rodgers and Adams and then dealing with the impact of both deals in 2023 and beyond.  There's no doubt they see the same WR depth in this draft and so they don't care much if they lose existing WRs.  I would think they could replace Adams in Rd 1 and save cap room for other players who can block for kicks.   Yet I get it, they only scored a Trubisky-esque 10pts in the playoff loss.     

Wentz now traded to WAS? Everyone loves Ballard but the guy now doesn't have a 1st Round pick, and the guy he traded it for is no longer on the roster, and they don't have a starting QB. Why does this guy get so much love? The Colts are 42-42 with him as GM. He inherited a team that had 1 losing record in the last 15 years, and now has had 2 of those season under Ballard. 

4 minutes ago, adam said:

Wentz now traded to WAS? Everyone loves Ballard but the guy now doesn't have a 1st Round pick, and the guy he traded it for is no longer on the roster, and they don't have a starting QB. Why does this guy get so much love? The Colts are 42-42 with him as GM. He inherited a team that had 1 losing record in the last 15 years, and now has had 2 of those season under Ballard. 

And what’s more rumors are circulating that either Trubiksy or Foles could be headed to Indianapolis.  From Indy fan perspective either might work due to their having a good  (decent) OLine and running game.  Plus Foles is familiar to Reich and Trubiksy  sorta knows how to run their offense.  

Colts have a pile of picks now with the Wentz deal so maybe Chicago deals Foles and they get a lower round pick in exchange?  

32 minutes ago, adam said:

He brought the Bears way with him when it comes to QBs.  

26 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

And what’s more rumors are circulating that either Trubiksy or Foles could be headed to Indianapolis.  From Indy fan perspective either might work due to their having a good  (decent) OLine and running game.  Plus Foles is familiar to Reich and Trubiksy  sorta knows how to run their offense.  

Colts have a pile of picks now with the Wentz deal so maybe Chicago deals Foles and they get a lower round pick in exchange?  

Between the two I’m choosing Foles.  Performance on the field might be a wash but Foles still has better ability to read a defense which makes him the better choice to help a young QB.  

1 hour ago, adam said:

Ballard was handed a bad hand in Indy to start his career.  Nobody knew Luck was going to unexpectedly quit.  In the meantime, he retooled the roster to where they just need a QB to contend.  Frank Reich is on record that he stuck his neck out there to get Carson Wentz.  Sure Ballard it's ultimately on Ballard, but I probably would have listened to my HC that knew him best.

In the meantime, Jimmy G is probably the new Alex Smith.

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Wentz seems like a bad talent but I remember Tannerhill was thought to not be good and went to Tennessee and been a better QB.

Tannehill was always good at handing off he just looks better handing off to Derek Henry.  

3 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Ballard was handed a bad hand in Indy to start his career.  Nobody knew Luck was going to unexpectedly quit.  In the meantime, he retooled the roster to where they just need a QB to contend.  Frank Reich is on record that he stuck his neck out there to get Carson Wentz.  Sure Ballard it's ultimately on Ballard, but I probably would have listened to my HC that knew him best.

Ballard took over in 2017, Luck retired in August of 2019. It's now 2022 and he has no QB. I don't know how much better Jimmy G is than Wentz, but I guess we will see. 

10 minutes ago, adam said:

Ballard took over in 2017, Luck retired in August of 2019. It's now 2022 and he has no QB. I don't know how much better Jimmy G is than Wentz, but I guess we will see. 

My bad.  Luck was out that season and they went 4-12.  Next year was 11-7.  The following year Brissette took over,  then Phil, then Carson.  He messed up by not drafting one last year, but Reich took the blame.  It's been a weird deal.  I heard that they reached out to Rivers last year as well.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

JimmyG is not a FA and his cap hit is $26mil.  I see the news about Colts being interested but why would Ballard make that trade when he can go get Foles a lot cheaper in both trade value and half the cap hit?  I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two and you can use that extra money to continue to build your team while you wait on finding the right QB.    Colts have plenty of cap space so that isn't necessarily a factor.  It'll be interesting to see what he does.  

17 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

JimmyG is not a FA and his cap hit is $26mil.  I see the news about Colts being interested but why would Ballard make that trade when he can go get Foles a lot cheaper in both trade value and half the cap hit?  I don't think there's a whole lot of difference between the two and you can use that extra money to continue to build your team while you wait on finding the right QB.    Colts have plenty of cap space so that isn't necessarily a factor.  It'll be interesting to see what he does.  

The Colts don't have a lot of options. Watson, if he legal problems get figured out. Trade for Jimmy G, I doubt it or going after Trubisky. Could draft a rookie then maybe they would trade for Foles. 

A lot of people post stories and seems odd a nobody would have that info. Just seen a tweet from a Chad Forbes ( that the market for James isn't in high demand) , first that info would come from an agent, secondly its illegal for teams to have negotiations before the period starts next week. Plus that info would have to come from Poles that they know he's in low demand.it would be nice if we can resign him at a 8 mil type price but how would anyone know a week ahead of time.

9 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I would love that as a Bears fan.  

It sure would be nice to unload Foles and get something back rather than have him here wasting a roster spot and cap space.  Indy is in a bit of pickle now but they wouldn't have pulled the trigger on the Wentz trade if they didn't have some plan for his replacement either in the draft or FA.  Gimmy G would be too expensive and really not worth it, he's not really that good.  In my opinion it would have been just as well to keep Wentz.  There's a lot of buzz about teams being interested in Trubisky, Watson is an unknown due to the legal issues, Foles could be a good fit and would be a good mentor to a draft pick.  I don't know where Indy picks so I don't know what realistic draft options they have.  Rivers and Wentz are more stop gap options to kick the can down the road till a better option is available.  

We can also take Mike Williams off the list of possible WR's he got an extension with the Chargers for like 60 mil