Free agency begins

Stinger226

I'm not sure its to play LT or RG but we have a meeting with Ryan Bates, A RFA out of Buffalo. He was a backup that stepped in the lineup last year and had 400 snaps, no sacks and one penalty. The Bills can match the offer , he is slated to get 2.4 mil. but can get other offers. This is the type of player Poles looks for, hopefully we make the best offer and can get him. He is 25. 

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm not sure its to play LT or RG but we have a meeting with Ryan Bates, A RFA out of Buffalo. He was a backup that stepped in the lineup last year and had 400 snaps, no sacks and one penalty. The Bills can match the offer , he is slated to get 2.4 mil. but can get other offers. This is the type of player Poles looks for, hopefully we make the best offer and can get him. He is 25. 

Buffalo just ate up a bunch of cap space, at least in the future.  Von Miller has a mere $5mil hit this year and it appears they have $7mil left which used to be a typical rookie pool.  They are all-in on Super Bowl this year.   We could poison pill Bates contract heavy this year with $6mil bonus/guarantees, then $2mil next year.  I don't know if Poles would want to do that given the tight budget we have.    

The Bears just need to write the contract in a way that makes it impossible for the Bills to match. The Bills not only have one of the lowest cap spaces remaining, but they are already 7th lowest for next season as well. 

The Bears on the other hand are 8th in cap space this year AND have the most cap space for 2023 right now.

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Buffalo just ate up a bunch of cap space, at least in the future.  Von Miller has a mere $5mil hit this year and it appears they have $7mil left which used to be a typical rookie pool.  They are all-in on Super Bowl this year.   We could poison pill Bates contract heavy this year with $6mil bonus/guarantees, then $2mil next year.  I don't know if Poles would want to do that given the tight budget we have.    

Not a bad idea if he's able to structure it right that it's just front loaded enough that the Bills will not try to match but not crippling to us.  Wasn't this how we got John Tait away from KC somewhere around 2005/2006?  We do also have the Vikings and the Pats to compete with.  

We did free up some room when the Ogunjobi signing fell through, I know we've signed others since then.  

Billy Turner, GB is available. I think he played RG for GB last year. Patrick, Turner, Whitehair, Jenkins, Borom with a rookie OT would work for me. Borom played a lot better than people give him credit for. Also, Jenkins got this entire offseason to recover further from his surgery.  

It feels like it is easy to overpay in the FA market for a few positions like OT. 

We could always go with Eric Fisher who has worked with both Poles and Flus. 

1 hour ago, adam said:

Billy Turner, GB is available. I think he played RG for GB last year. Patrick, Turner, Whitehair, Jenkins, Borom with a rookie OT would work for me. Borom played a lot better than people give him credit for. Also, Jenkins got this entire offseason to recover further from his surgery.  

It feels like it is easy to overpay in the FA market for a few positions like OT. 

We could always go with Eric Fisher who has worked with both Poles and Flus. 

I think the Bears will get Fisher and make an aggressive push for the Bills guy and than role with the rest of the lineman.  I presume the Bills guy replaces Daniel's, Packers guy is our center, Whitehair the other guard and than you sign Fisher for LT and move Jenkins over. Borom competes with the rest for guard/center.  

I kind of expect the Bears will draft skill position players early (vs. oline - at least if they can get a couple of these guys I mentioned in FA).  But I expect 1 or 2 wideouts taken early in the draft (at this point) plus a DB (and maybe a safety).  I am sure they will take some developmental picks for oline too (but my guess is not until later - if they end up with 2-3 free agency adds on the line - which is my guess).  

Than next year - they'll leverage the draft and or their big cap space to make another move at bolstering the line (where it makes sense) while also having flexibility to address pass rush and potentially add another (hopefully elite) skill position type player.  

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I kind of expect the Bears will draft skill position players early (vs. oline - at least if they can get a couple of these guys I mentioned in FA).  But I expect 1 or 2 wideouts taken early in the draft (at this point) plus a DB (and maybe a safety).  I am sure they will take some developmental picks for oline too (but my guess is not until later - if they end up with 2-3 free agency adds on the line - which is my guess).  

Agree with this.  

I know they will still get a couple more FAs on the Oline. If they bring in a Armstead or Fisher, then they will get a developmental OT to replace in a few yrs. I do expect Poles to get an extra couple picks . I don't think he knows if both Jenkins and Boom are the answer so will have competition.  If he doesn't get a LT upgrade then he will have to in the 2nd  round OT that can compete as a rookie. I'm calling Fisher comes here and they get Bates the RFA from Buffalo.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I know they will still get a couple more FAs on the Oline. If they bring in a Armstead or Fisher, then they will get a developmental OT to replace in a few yrs. I do expect Poles to get an extra couple picks . I don't think he knows if both Jenkins and Boom are the answer so will have competition.  If he doesn't get a LT upgrade then he will have to in the 2nd  round OT that can compete as a rookie. I'm calling Fisher comes here and they get Bates the RFA from Buffalo.

Fisher can stay on the field aside from the one year that he got injured, so him. 

I've heard rumors that Poles is not a fan of Borom. 

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Reading the quotes from Poles regarding all the FAs he's signed and he had something positive to say about each of them and what they bring to the game. 

For example:  DE Al-Quadin Muhammad

“Quan represents the play style coach Eberflus wants our entire team to have,” Poles said. “His motor and desire to affect the game stands out. We are excited to have him. We would like to thank Drew Rosenhaus at Rosenhaus Sports for helping bring him to Chicago.”

Then he got to St. Brown:  

“We are excited to make Equanimeous St. Brown the newest Bear,” Poles said. “We would like to thank Joby Branion at Vanguard Sports for helping bring him to Chicago.”

IMO that more than a little damning.  This signing feels more like St. Brown wanted to follow Getsy here and get another shot to revive his career.  He was willing to sign early to do so although he may not have had any offers down the road.  For Poles it was street FA signing with little to no risk and he certainly isn't very enthusiastic about it.  

He needs bodies and all minimum deals can easily go away. I very well think AL-Q will be starting with Quinn and Gipson will third man in. I like it that he gets players that seem to be ascending.  He very well may reach DD sacks with Quinn on the other side. Jones has upside to.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Speculation growing there could be a deal for Foles soon.  Siemian visited today.

Siemian has put up a better season than any Bear since Cutler in 2015.   Not a terrible backup plan.  

Marlon Mack would be a nice pickup if we needed a #2.  

16 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I think the teams preceding the names were the teams they visited.  But I agree, he wouldn’t be a bad option.  

Yep, seen the Texans.  First glance I hoped they were in Chicago.  Waiting on some Bates news to drop.  He must be deciding where to go yet.

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Suspect we’ll know by tomorrow.  Sounds like he made all his planned visits with the Bears as the last stop…which could be a good thing.  

I feel like once they know about Bates, they will go after Fisher and/or Turner. Both of those guys have connections to the Bears.