Cuts starting - Dazz Newsome

adam

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I read elsewhere that Poles has nearly rebuilt the roster from top to bottom in just one off-season. Of the 2021 starting roster, he’s replaced 58-59% of what was there.  Still on this years ‘first 53’ are 3 UDFAs, two 6th round picks and two 7th round picks.  

That's impressive in part because we've seen these late Rd or UDFA players look like they belong on the field.  I still think some will get shuffled off to the practice squad.  Eberflus seemed pretty clear that they are looking for help at CB.  

Bears added six players via waiver claims:

OL Alex Leatherwood
TE Trevin Wesco
DT Armon Watts
DE Kingsley Johnathan 
LB Sterling Weatherford
DB Josh Blackwell

So they’ll need to cut six from the roster announced yesterday. My guesses are Tonges, either Carter or Thomas on the O-line, Pennel, Jaylon Jones, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Thomas. 

4 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

OL Alex Leatherwood
TE Trevin Wesco
DT Armon Watts
DE Kingsley Johnathan 
LB Sterling Weatherford
DB Josh Blackwell

So they’ll need to cut six from the roster announced yesterday. My guesses are Tonges, either Carter or Thomas on the O-line, Pennel, Jaylon Jones, Lamar Jackson, and Joe Thomas. 

Forgot Harry is probably going to IR to start the season so maybe they can keep Carter and Thomas. 

39 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

OL Alex Leatherwood
TE Trevin Wesco
DT Armon Watts
DE Kingsley Johnathan 
LB Sterling Weatherford
DB Josh Blackwell

That is a lot of waiver wire pickups.  I'm most surprised by the undersized DE which is a spot we seem to be set.   How much time does the team have to sort out the 53 with these pickups?

Interesting to see that 3 were UDFAs this year. No surprise there is at least one from Philly (Asst GM) and one from Indy. 

Alex Leatherwood, OL (Las Vegas Raiders) - 1st Round 2021
Trevon Wesco, TE (New York Jets) - 4th Round 2019
Armon Watts, DL (Minnesota Vikings) - 6th Round 2019
Josh Blackwell, DB (Philadelphia Eagles) - UDFA 2022
Kingsley Jonathan, DL (Buffalo Bills) - UDFA 2022
Sterling Weatherford, LB (Indianapolis Colts) - UDFA 2022

6 spots need to be created with 3 cuts and at least 1 IR (Harry), means 2 more cuts. 

I am assuming they will stay fairly consistent on replacement positions outside Harry. So 

Harry > Wesco
Thomas > Leatherwood
Tonga > Watts
Shelley > Blackwell
DL/DE > Kingsley
LB > Weatherford

My guess is Caleb Johnson to IR for Weatherford. It will be interesting to see what they do for Kingsley, probably one of the young DBs (Jones or Jackson). 

He can be a rotation guy who had 5 sacks last year. Minny changed to the 3-4. He had 43 tks and 3 TGL 

Also we picked up Leatherwood cut by the Raiders. He will earn 1.3 mil this yr. 400 thou more than a vet minu salary. Poles dont need first round draft picks, he has added two this yr already.

28 minutes ago, adam said:

Interesting to see that 3 were UDFAs this year. No surprise there is at least one from Philly (Asst GM) and one from Indy. 

Alex Leatherwood, OL (Las Vegas Raiders) - 1st Round 2021
Trevon Wesco, TE (New York Jets) - 4th Round 2019
Armon Watts, DL (Minnesota Vikings) - 6th Round 2019
Josh Blackwell, DB (Philadelphia Eagles) - UDFA 2022
Kingsley Jonathan, DL (Buffalo Bills) - UDFA 2022
Sterling Weatherford, LB (Indianapolis Colts) - UDFA 2022

6 spots need to be created with 3 cuts and at least 1 IR (Harry), means 2 more cuts. 

I am assuming they will stay fairly consistent on replacement positions outside Harry. So 

Harry > Wesco
Thomas > Leatherwood
Tonga > Watts
Shelley > Blackwell
DL/DE > Kingsley
LB > Weatherford

My guess is Caleb Johnson to IR for Weatherford. It will be interesting to see what they do for Kingsley, probably one of the young DBs (Jones or Jackson). 

I was close.

7 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

What a fall from grace.  To go from the 17th pick, to cut after one season is a gut punch.  He has the size and talent, but it looks like the negatives from his scouting report reared their ugly heads.  Let's get his head on straight and see what happens.

I remember when he came out from Bama and how highly touted he was . Remember him playing in a few of those championship games and thinking what a beast he was.  Goes to show how those 1st round picks at OT can be so unpredictable at times.

Vegas was a bit of a mess last year so maybe that was more the issue than him?  Whoever got Jenkins pointed in the right direction should latch onto him quick.  

15 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

Kind of surprised there - are they really going to carry Harry when he isn't able to play.  

Biggs is saying that they will put Harry on after 3pm so he will get the IR-Return Designation which allows the 21 day ramp up period (before activation). That also means the Bears need another WR. 

40 minutes ago, adam said:

Weatherford is a beast:

Outside of 12 pounds, he is a taller, faster Roquan (minus the instincts).

I’m always a fan of those hybrid LB/Safety types (like Urlacher).  In watching highlights of him it appears he likes to play more in the up position or somewhere where the LBs roam.  There’s no question he’s an ‘in the box’ type player.  Could he be that third LB with Roquan and Morrow or competition for Brisker? 

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

What a fall from grace.  To go from the 17th pick, to cut after one season is a gut punch.  He has the size and talent, but it looks like the negatives from his scouting report reared their ugly heads.  Let's get his head on straight and see what happens.

I don't know if this was posted elsewhere on this forum (nor how I came across it) but I'll post it here...

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/alex-leatherwood-chicago-bears-las-vegas-raiders/