Scouting 49ers

AZ54

For Week 1, I would rather face Lance than Jimmy G. Our defense has great edge rushers, speedy LBs, solid CBs, and Brisker and Jackson roaming. I think Smith is going to play angry. Lance is gonna have issues. The team that makes less mistakes wins. 

He is someone that could be forced into a few TOs. Two keys to the first game will be on well we stop the run and if TOs come in to play. We played them well last year with bad coaches and erratic play so this is a game could be our bell cow for the season if we can upset them. Tonight's game will go along way in seeing how ready our offense is to compete. 

Jimmie Ward being out for the 9ers should help out Kmet and the offense. Ward is one of the best safeties in the league when it comes to covering the TE.

This may not be the cake walk everyone is predicting. Idk if the Bears are gonna win, but I'm considering taking the 7 points the bears are given. 

Oline issues continue for the 49ers and they are seeking trades to fix the interior.  From the sound of it, all 3 interior spots and their backup RT aren't playing well.  I'm not saying our rookies are any better than what SF has but if Poles is high on any of them this is something he'll have to consider in trying to get them to the practice squad.   

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2022/08/49ers-looking-into-o-line-trades

14 hours ago, scs787 said:

Jimmie Ward being out for the 9ers should help out Kmet and the offense. Ward is one of the best safeties in the league when it comes to covering the TE.

This may not be the cake walk everyone is predicting. Idk if the Bears are gonna win, but I'm considering taking the 7 points the bears are given. 

That would be a great bet. 

The Bears allowed 33 pts and were a PAT away from tying it late before the defense laid an egg last year.

The Bears didn't have Montgomery or Mack in that game. Vildor was starting at CB. Just by adding Brisker and Gordon, this defense will be better. Deebo was basically unstoppable, he had 6 receptions for 171 yards and Mitchell had 18 carries for 137 yards. Way too many chunk plays. I can't see them allowing 30+ pts again. Lance is the QB now. He has started 1 away game in his entire career (@ARZ - 15/29, 192 yds, 51.7% Comp, 6.6 Y/A, 0 TD, 1 INT, 2 sacks, 16/89 rushing, a 17-10 loss). 

On offense, the Bears scored 22 pts and Fields had 175 passing yards and 103 rushing yards. I feel like they will have more of a balanced attack this time under Getsy. Fields last home game (vs MIN - 26/39, 285 yds, 66.7% Comp, 7.3 Y/A, 1 TD, 0 INT, 7/35 rushing, 1 FL, 17-9 loss).

I am thinking a close game within 3 pts of each other both scoring in the mid-20s. Bears at home, so I will give the edge to them 24-21. 

The OL will definitely effect the play of Lance and Deebo seems to be the type of player that would slack once he gets paid, mainly because of immaturity. Last year the 49ers started out 2-4 and didn't play well against us in week 7. I can see them having a slow start again this year. Upset potential, being on the road and the low expectations for the Bears.

If the Bears can neutralize Bosa, chip, screen game, run at him, bootleg and rollouts away from him, I think the offense can score.

On defense, it is stopping the run and stopping Deebo. I would almost have Johnson follow Deebo or at least when he is on the outside, then Gordon when he is in the slot. I think they will attack Vildor if he is starting.

2 hours ago, adam said:

If the Bears can neutralize Bosa, chip, screen game, run at him, bootleg and rollouts away from him, I think the offense can score.

On defense, it is stopping the run and stopping Deebo. I would almost have Johnson follow Deebo or at least when he is on the outside, then Gordon when he is in the slot. I think they will attack Vildor if he is starting.

Kittle worries me more than Deebo but you don't want either running free downfield.  If they are struggling with blocking that could neutralize some of the dual threat Deebo poses.  We'll need early pressure on Lance to get his eyes down, or to keep him throwing short, but I'm not that high on our DTs.  

13 hours ago, AZ54 said:

SF's 2021 draft already looking suspect: Trey Lance, Aaron Brooks, Trey Sermon (cut) as their first 3 picks in rounds 1-3.

Hearing that Brisker has returned to practice and is on track to play in wk 1.   Patrick is expected to return to practice next week although his game day status is up in the air until they see him practice.    

It also sounds like Velus Jones and Pringle are close to returning but even if they both practice all next week these two might be a stretch to get playing time in week 1.   IMO they've missed too much time and we might be best served giving them a couple weeks of practice to get back in the rhythm of the offense.  

59 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Hearing that Brisker has returned to practice and is on track to play in wk 1.   Patrick is expected to return to practice next week although his game day status is up in the air until they see him practice.    

It also sounds like Velus Jones and Pringle are close to returning but even if they both practice all next week these two might be a stretch to get playing time in week 1.   IMO they've missed too much time and we might be best served giving them a couple weeks of practice to get back in the rhythm of the offense.  

yes, and by week 3 at worst we should be rolling.

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I know Pettis is fast, but I think just having Velus out there as a speed threat to open things up might be beneficial if he's up to full speed. 

I agree that it 'might' be too soon for Jones & Pringle to take full snaps, but I think both could contribute by being inserted into the lineup for a half dozen or so plays when the situation presents itself. I have my fingers crossed. I was looking forward to both of these players stepping up big time this year to give Fields more options to add to Mooney, Kmet, and our RBs.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lists/ranking-49ers-position-groups-for-2022/

Working off the concerns their fans have for their roster and other tidbits I've seen in the media:  

Dline:  49ers.    For sure they have the better defensive front 7 as compared to our roster.  They shutdown the Packers offense in the playoffs and we can't discount that.  The question is what did Getsy learn from that and how will he approach this game differently?  Or does he even have the talent to approach it the way he really wants to?   

Beyond that these two teams are much closer in talent than the media would lead you to believe.  IMO we have a few advantages in position group talent (CBs, S, QB at min even, RB, and Oline).   Yes, I said Oline.  We don't have a star like Trent Williams but Oline is as much about stability across the front (i.e. avoid the complete breakdown at one spot like we often had last year) and it appears we're better there.  McGlinchey is a question mark for them too coming off his knee injury and he was never that athletic to begin with.   His backup has played poorly. 

https://ninernoise.com/2022/09/02/49ers-chicago-bears-week-1/

https://ninernoise.com/2022/09/01/kyle-shanahan-concerned-primary-49ers-weakness/

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

The question is what did Getsy learn from that and how will he approach this game differently?  Or does he even have the talent to approach it the way he really wants to? 

I personally don't think we have the horses to compete.  With their front seven being strong and us having a very inexperienced OL, it just doesn't look good.  I think Fields is better than Lance as well as our RB group, but everything else goes to the Niners.  Our rookie left tackle has yet to see an exotic blitz and with Borom being the weakest link, we can't help both OT's at the same time.  Any given Sunday is the rule, but it will have to be nearly flawless for us to win.

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I personally don't think we have the horses to compete.  With their front seven being strong and us having a very inexperienced OL, it just doesn't look good.  I think Fields is better than Lance as well as our RB group, but everything else goes to the Niners.  Our rookie left tackle has yet to see an exotic blitz and with Borom being the weakest link, we can't help both OT's at the same time.  Any given Sunday is the rule, but it will have to be nearly flawless for us to win.

I agree. We are seeing a lot of positive changes and growth, but to get over that line for a W is another thing.

Eberflus even said in an interview recenlty (and I was impressed he said it out loud) that the first thing you do is impose accountability, then you build a culture, and then over time, you fill that structure with talent. I dont think a lot of feel good coaches would have said that out loud, since it implies that he is admitting publicly that they dont have enough talent yet. But it is the truth, and the truth is the only way to grow.

I think we will see a team we can be more proud of. We will make some mistakes, we will have holes that get exploited over and over throughout the season, but next year, we will be able to say "X, Y & Z were TERRIBLE and need rplacing, but there are a lot of positions filled on this team too. Drafting, free agency and the largest salary cap warchest in the league is going to make early September here next year seem a lot different.

There will be a lot to root for next year - this year is the longest and most thorough offseason ever. I hope we see a lot of flashes, including Fields!

And yes, to the die hards, like Mongo said, "Any Given Sunday" - nothing is impossible.

10 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

I agree. We are seeing a lot of positive changes and growth, but to get over that line for a W is another thing.

Eberflus even said in an interview recenlty (and I was impressed he said it out loud) that the first thing you do is impose accountability, then you build a culture, and then over time, you fill that structure with talent. I dont think a lot of feel good coaches would have said that out loud, since it implies that he is admitting publicly that they dont have enough talent yet. But it is the truth, and the truth is the only way to grow.

I think we will see a team we can be more proud of. We will make some mistakes, we will have holes that get exploited over and over throughout the season, but next year, we will be able to say "X, Y & Z were TERRIBLE and need rplacing, but there are a lot of positions filled on this team too. Drafting, free agency and the largest salary cap warchest in the league is going to make early September here next year seem a lot different.

There will be a lot to root for next year - this year is the longest and most thorough offseason ever. I hope we see a lot of flashes, including Fields!

And yes, to the die hards, like Mongo said, "Any Given Sunday" - nothing is impossible.

I agree with that and with Mongo's assessment.  Their D front 7 is a massive hurdle to overcome with a young and inexperienced offense.  It is the crux of the game.  However, for a team that was just in the NFC championship game I'm surprised how many gaps SF has on their roster.  We will need some of those gaps to give us some big plays to pull off the upset.    

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I agree with that and with Mongo's assessment.  Their D front 7 is a massive hurdle to overcome with a young and inexperienced offense.  It is the crux of the game.  However, for a team that was just in the NFC championship game I'm surprised how many gaps SF has on their roster.  We will need some of those gaps to give us some big plays to pull off the upset.    

with the salary cap, every team has holes, and the difference in talent between the top rosters and the bottom isnt THAT much. Coaching and culture account for a lot. I still think we are a few players away, but if everyone executes, who knows?!

The 49ers have 3 new starters on the OL and 4 new starters in the DB. They have a rookie at NB. If the center of our DL can get some pressure, their offensive will sputter. We will attack Bosa, not rated that good against the run and their NB. I see a lot of roll outs from Fields that will slow down the pass rush. We will have some misses by the OL but penalites and TOs will be  cut back for our O to run more smoothly. I think Kmet has a big day and lots of targets to the RBs. If you watch last yrs game, Fields feet killed their defense. E. Mitchel and Deebo both are nursing injuries and at least will be slowed in the opener. With a new QB starting , their O will not be running smooth. Jimmy G coming in late will affect the culture in the locker room. A lot of existing players side with Jimmy so transitioning to Lance will be slow. 

Justin Jones will have a big game,( 4th round rookie starting in front of him)

Brisker will keep Kittle in check.

Lance will commit a couple of TOs.

Mooney, Kmet and Fields will all have TDs , Fields rushes for 86 yds.

24-16 we win.