Week 1 Official Game Thread - SF @ CHI, 09/11, 12PM CDT, SF -7 O/U 41.5

adam

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Somewhere else I read that there a few players on the team that would be stars elsewhere and I think that could balance more in the favor of the Bears. Take the defense for example.  Morrow (62 tkls, 3 sacks, 1 FF) would've  been out star at LB had Roquan not have returned.  Muhammad (32 tkls, 6 sacks and 1 FF) was on a dline two seasons ago that ranked #9 overall in the NFL and Justin Jones (37 tkls, 3 sacks) was one of the best run-stoppers for the Chargers last year before he became plan B to Larry Ogunjobi's failed physical.  If for nothing else these guys were starters on other teams and now aren't really considered key players in their respective roles, not yet anyhow.  

Just going through our roster, we have Reiff and Gipson as backups who would be starters on other teams as well. I think the Bears have a lower ceiling, but a much higher floor. So the team is going to be a lot more consistent week in and week out. That won't be enough to beat the top tier teams like Buffalo or the Rams, but they probably are going to win a few games the were underdogs in and rarely will lose a game they are favored in.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

They have superior OL, WR, LB and DL.  Another thing they have going for them is that they have experience in their schemes.

They have a great LT, but the right tackle didnt even win the job last yr before his injury. They have 3 new starters in the middle. Its closer than you think. 

6 hours ago, adam said:

Just going through our roster, we have Reiff and Gipson as backups who would be starters on other teams as well. I think the Bears have a lower ceiling, but a much higher floor. So the team is going to be a lot more consistent week in and week out. That won't be enough to beat the top tier teams like Buffalo or the Rams, but they probably are going to win a few games the were underdogs in and rarely will lose a game they are favored in.

I hope you are right - and this is where - if Fields takes a big step forward, the team could surprise. With that said - I think they are still just a year too early and still are pretty devoid of splash/blue chippers.  

Interceptions/takeaways is key. Just like in 2018, no one expected the Bears to win 12 games.

The top 7 teams in INTs had a winning record and 14 out of the top 17 did as well. Of the 3 teams that didn't, one was Minnesota at 8-9, Houston who couldn't stop the run and had a bad offense, and the Giants (Daniel Jones). The Bears were 29th last year. 

This scheme is much more opportunistic and I think will keep the team in more games with huge takeaways that we haven't seen since 2018. 

You all know that I keep it close to the vest when it comes to predicting what the Bears will do on Game Day. I am so pissed at how guys like Dan Orlovsky, Chris Simms and KeyShawn Johnson have the ability and research to determine who has a solid roster or not and the two who were QBs sucked when they played in the league. Johnson was not a factor as a WR with the Jets and the Buccaneers defense was the driving force when he was able to get a SB ring. He was a number 1 overall pick and he sucked imo.

14 minutes ago, lemonej said:

You all know that I keep it close to the vest when it comes to predicting what the Bears will do on Game Day. I am so pissed at how guys like Dan Orlovsky, Chris Simms and KeyShawn Johnson have the ability and research to determine who has a solid roster or not and the two who were QBs sucked when they played in the league. Johnson was not a factor as a WR with the Jets and the Buccaneers defense was the driving force when he was able to get a SB ring. He was a number 1 overall pick and he sucked imo.

All of this.  “Run out of the back of the endzone” Orlovsky is one of the most annoying analysts.  And he wasn’t even the best QB the Lions ever had.  Ugh.  Simms was good in college but after that… 

5 hours ago, adam said:

This scheme is much more opportunistic and I think will keep the team in more games with huge takeaways that we haven't seen since 2018. 

This is where I’m at.  Saw an article this morning where Quinn was quoted as saying this is going to be a great defense.  Sure I get his biased view but not sure he’d make a comment like that if he wasn’t confident…and he’s a Captain so there’s that.

In that same article I got the below screen grab.  Noticed Patrick wasn’t on the injury report (saw yesterday(?) they were going to get him in the lineup “where he fit”)…hmmm.   And Eberflus had something to do with the turf change?  

7327AFB8-1598-4C45-8D36-DA7539A6ACD6.jpeg

Many good analysts weren't great football players.  Some of favorites, other people don't like.  I though Madden,  Dierdorf, Warner, Booger and Collinsworth are/were great.  Give me guy who tells it like it is.  I even like Orlovsky in that he'll stand buy what he says.  Guys that make an NFL roster, even if it's for one year, have tremendous knowledge of the game.  Sometimes their research is not so good, like what Lemonej said.

If Kittle can't play it definitely impacts their ability to threaten downfield, plus his blocking in the run game/RPO stuff.  Kittle is a big part of the reason Deebo can get so many wide open looks.   This is old but might be an indication of what we can expect especially if Kittle is out.  

https://www.4for4.com/news/brandon-aiyuk-quickly-becoming-trey-lances-favorite-target

11 hours ago, AZ54 said:

If Kittle can't play it definitely impacts their ability to threaten downfield, plus his blocking in the run game/RPO stuff.  Kittle is a big part of the reason Deebo can get so many wide open looks.   This is old but might be an indication of what we can expect especially if Kittle is out.  

https://www.4for4.com/news/brandon-aiyuk-quickly-becoming-trey-lances-favorite-target

Deebo killed the Bears last year on 2 plays. Kittle didn't even play.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Deebo killed the Bears last year on 2 plays. Kittle didn't even play.

Our secondary talent and discipline was horrible last year.  The talent gap has closed quite a bit and so has the discipline and hustle aspect.  I'm not saying we'll shutdown Deebo because Shanahan is going to find ways to get the ball into his hands.  I expect a lot more pursuit from the defense than last year and if Kittle is out then by missing that deep threat only helps the cause.  Bend but don't get broken on the big plays like last year.  

Its suppose to rain Sunday. Last year SF played Indy at SF in the rain. They basically will be attacking off tackle with the running game. They ran the ball well but never had any big chunk plays.  They had 111 yds in the game. 13 FDs and a total 280 yds for the game. Deebo is sloopy with the ball, he had 3 fumbles. They had a better IOL last year than this yr, so the run game wont be as effective. The Flus D is a bend but not break and the TOs, (4) by SF hurt there drives. They also had a lot of penalites. I think in the rain with Lance he will be capable of a few Interceptions. They had a short passing game but only went downfield a couple of times. They lost 30-18 to Colts at home. They have a bit of a turmoil with Jimmy G  reentering the picture a week ago. I can see Lance putting pressure on himself and be prone to mistakes. Colts baring put pressure on Jimmy G in the game and I think our pass rush will be better. I think this makes for an interesting game which will come down to TOs. If we have at least a +2, we will win this game. 

If we can run the ball consistently, that will set up the playaction that with 4 new starters in the defensive backfield for SF, we could get a couple of big chunk plays. 

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Its suppose to rain Sunday. Last year SF played Indy at SF in the rain. They basically will be attacking off tackle with the running game. They ran the ball well but never had any big chunk plays.  They had 111 yds in the game. 13 FDs and a total 280 yds for the game. Deebo is sloopy with the ball, he had 3 fumbles. They had a better IOL last year than this yr, so the run game wont be as effective. The Flus D is a bend but not break and the TOs, (4) by SF hurt there drives. They also had a lot of penalites. I think in the rain with Lance he will be capable of a few Interceptions. They had a short passing game but only went downfield a couple of times. They lost 30-18 to Colts at home. They have a bit of a turmoil with Jimmy G  reentering the picture a week ago. I can see Lance putting pressure on himself and be prone to mistakes. Colts baring put pressure on Jimmy G in the game and I think our pass rush will be better. I think this makes for an interesting game which will come down to TOs. If we have at least a +2, we will win this game. 

If we can run the ball consistently, that will set up the playaction that with 4 new starters in the defensive backfield for SF, we could get a couple of big chunk plays. 

In that game, Muhammad had 1 sack, 2 QB Hits, and a forced fumble. Adams played too. The Bears defense looks very comparable to the Colts defense from last year. We may need to start comparing this defense with that defense instead of the Bears 22 vs Bears 21. Probably Bears 22 vs Colts 21, at least on the defensive side may be a better comparison. The Colts were 1st in TO Margin, 7th in Defensive Scoring, and 18th in yards last year. The Bears were 29th in TO Margin, 24th in pts and 20th in yards on defense. The Colts were +14, the Bears were -13. Even if the team just got to +0, that would be a 12 spot jump and probably equate to one or two wins right there.

Kittle out, Ward on IR, 3 inexperienced interior linemen blocking for basically a rookie QB that has played 2 games of football in the last 2 years in Lance.

Bears by 11, 27-16 :bears

Bears get 5 scoring drives, 2 off turnovers and short fields, 3 TDs and 2 FGs

49ers get 4 scoring drives, 3 FGs, 1 TD

• adam unfeatured and unpinned this topic