2023 Draft Prospects

AZ54

For the draftniks out there who are y'all watching on Saturdays?  I'm guessing we'll land at 15 overall and could be as high as 10th.   The top player I want is Jalen Carter DT but he'll be long gone before we draft.  The next DT who might still be on the board is Bresee who can also play 3-tech and has the motor we want.  He seems to be more 1-gap style vs. 2-gap so might still be around for us.

Beyond that I'm not seeing anyone jump out at a position of need.   I'm not that enamored with Jaxon Smith-Njigba, not that high anyway.   Maybe Boutte but I can't watch these clips and say that's the WR I want 15th overall.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cda_oTnIBQ  

I'd grab an OT but the two in that range (Duncan and Skoronski) have questions marks and might be interior players.  I'm just working off TDN's list right now, we don't have a list of early entrants, but if I can't get one those DTs I feel like it's time to trade back.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-draft-rankings-tdn100-2023-september/ 

6 hours ago, AZ54 said:

For the draftniks out there who are y'all watching on Saturdays?  I'm guessing we'll land at 15 overall and could be as high as 10th.   The top player I want is Jalen Carter DT but he'll be long gone before we draft.  The next DT who might still be on the board is Bresee who can also play 3-tech and has the motor we want.  He seems to be more 1-gap style vs. 2-gap so might still be around for us.

Beyond that I'm not seeing anyone jump out at a position of need.   I'm not that enamored with Jaxon Smith-Njigba, not that high anyway.   Maybe Boutte but I can't watch these clips and say that's the WR I want 15th overall.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cda_oTnIBQ  

I'd grab an OT but the two in that range (Duncan and Skoronski) have questions marks and might be interior players.  I'm just working off TDN's list right now, we don't have a list of early entrants, but if I can't get one those DTs I feel like it's time to trade back.   https://thedraftnetwork.com/nfl-draft-rankings-tdn100-2023-september/ 

I am figuring #5-#12 range. My assumption is you have to go OT/DT/WR in that spot. The other option is to trade down (for someone looking to grab a QB) and add some picks while still getting a mid to late round first. 

3 hours ago, ChileBear said:

I agree, but all the pundits will scream WR. 

Round 1 WRs have made a case for themselves over the last few years but I believe Round 2 still has the edge for top producers.  Since the Bears Defense is the worst at stopping the run that helps make a case to go DT early.  If the Bears are in a position to trade down to gain a future 1st, that would be the jackpot while still taking the best DT/WR. 

The WR market is dried up this year and even next in FA.  The Bears cannot afford to trade their 1st for someone like Metcalf, who the Seahawks are now looking decent without Wilson and may prefer keeping him.  The Bucs may try trading Evans in the offseason before he hits FA after 2023 season.  Maybe the Bears should just sign Beckham and try making him servicable?  I do think they will be throwing many darts again next year at the position and with a little luck we can find a gem.

The WRs I see early in Rd 1 aren't that impressive.  Ideally we can find a bigger WR to compliment Mooney and to help in the red zone.  The other need IMO is a really good slot WR who can just help move the chains.  

6th overall:  Jordan Addison. 6'. 175lbs.   Not very physical, might be touch faster than Mooney but not elite speed.  Seems like a similar player as compared to Mooney.  Not a bad thing to add to the roster at all but not at 6 overall where TDN has him.  I'm not even sure he'll be a top 15 pick when it's all done unless he runs really fast at the combine.      

10th overall:  Jaxon Smith-Njigba.  6'.  198lbs.   He's not fast but is very quick and a good route runner.  He's a likely slot WR in the NFL but we need one.   At 10th overall as a slot WR I don't quite see that on film.   Having said that he's easily the best WR among this group IMO.  

12th overall:  Kayshon Boutte.  6'. 185lbs.   More speed here but he's a head case (like many WRs).  He doesn't like working inside routes and sometimes just gives up on plays.  I don't see him as a culture fit for Flus but most of us grow up sooner or later. 

22nd:    Quentin Johnson.  6'4".  212lbs.   Decent long speed, some burst in tight spaces but not very nimble and doesn't seem to have a great vertical.  Route running is what he'll need to demonstrate this year to cement his draft position.  Later in Rd 1 the value proposition is getting better and he fits a need or does he if N'Keal Harry returns and plays well enough?  

36th:   Parker Washington.  5'10". 207lbs.   This is the first WR that's "different" and along with Smith-Njigba would really fit what we need as a slot WR.  I'll just quote TDN:  "Washington has experience in a slew of alignments but his best work and highest volume have come from the slot. He’s very savvy running MOF routes that sit down versus zone, break vertically on delayed attacks up the field, or work across the face of traffic when running the shallow and rubbing to come clean against man coverage. His ability to take throws in stride and play off contact for RAC is accentuated by how dense he is as a player—he’s built like Amari Rodgers from Clemson several years back and carries his weight like a running back. But the story with Washington that will garner the most attention is the ball skills".    I'll be trying to catch a Penn St. game one of these weekends.  

Just now, Mongo3451 said:

A couple of teams that I thought we'd get a win from are looking better than I thought.  I'm thinking we finish with 4 or 5 wins.  That would be top ten easily.  

Yep, with only 2 wins now, 5 wins seems like the max with the schedule on how the team looked against the Giants.

The WR FA market is terrible next offseason, so they are going to have to draft a WR early. DT and OL have a lot more options in free agency. I would even consider a TE in free agency like Gesicki, Schultz, Engram, or Hooper. We need a pass catching TE and Kmet is clearly not one of them.

This is pretty crazy, here are the FA WRs with the most snaps:

Mack Hollins, Noah Brown, Eq St. Brown, Marvin Jones, Parris Campbell, David Sills, Greg Dortch, Allen Lazard, Juju, and Agholor.

So maybe they go after Lazard or Juju. Those would be the top 2 names under 30.

My hopes is Orlando Brown hits free agency and the Bears make him an offer he can't refuse then they get the WR from Ohio State in the 1st round. Right now Olave and Garrett Wilson, the 2 Ohio state WRs drafted this year are both in the top 25 in receiving yards in the NFL so when it comes to WRs OSU is doing something right. 

A 3T is definitely needed but the Bears HAVE to do something to really see if Fields is their guy. 

I would even look into trading for Galloday and using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a TE as well. 

I can live with another shit year defensively if it meant they know what they have in Fields. 

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

My hopes is Orlando Brown hits free agency and the Bears make him an offer he can't refuse then they get the WR from Ohio State in the 1st round. Right now Olave and Garrett Wilson, the 2 Ohio state WRs drafted this year are both in the top 25 in receiving yards in the NFL so when it comes to WRs OSU is doing something right. 

A 3T is definitely needed but the Bears HAVE to do something to really see if Fields is their guy. 

I would even look into trading for Galloday and using a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a TE as well. 

I can live with another shit year defensively if it meant they know what they have in Fields. 

Golladay is not the same guy after the injury, but I would definitely look into the trade market. There may be even some options before the trading deadline this year. The Bears can take on some big salaries for teams that are tight.

Definitely need a pure pass catching TE, Kmet is still serviceable, but doesn't seem like he is a TE1. 

Going OL/DL/WR in any order for the first 3 picks would be nice. If there are huge values in other positions, you have to consider them but it would be nice to get 3 top picks in those areas. 

As far as next year is concerned, the options are limitless.  I'm getting extra picks for Quinn, Monty and Roquan.  No need to keep folks that won't and don't want to be here for the youth movement.  Monty is the exception, but average running backs are expendable.  So far, we have 6 picks, while I'm hoping for nine.  If we get get pick 5 and our dominant OL/DL isn't there, time to trade it for someone looking for a QB.  I DO NOT want to draft another QB until we are rock solid in the trenches.  We need to target every position on the DL as BPA, as some want built in a day.  As far as skill positions are concerned, we need two recieved better than Mooney, preferably a TE and physical WR that can both separate and win jump balls.  Fields needs that "chuck it" guy.  Mustipher and Patrick are complete garbage.  They can't seem to figure out a switch block to save their ass.  And don't get me started on Borom.  I can't wait to see how Poles grades them.  We must remember how young they are in the process.  In the meantime, Bill Polian identified X number of blue chip players.  We must continue to strive to identify and develop until we get to that magic 14 number.  Maybe we can make an under 27 progress chart for the of season.

I dont think that they will give fields another year to see if he develops, given the excuse that he had crap around him. That's the old Bears thinking that got us an extra year of Nagy etc. If they get to the end of this year and don't have a solid answer on Fields, then we will be looking for a new QB.

Now that doesnt mean Fields will need to be a Franchise guy by December. If he does show enough to stay it will still take more time for him to fulfill his entire potential, but this staff is not going to burn next year, they dont need to and it would be a threat to their jobs.

I really like Mongo's idea of a chart of progress made for players under 27. Great idea. I think that is exactly what this season is for. But not next season!

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I dont think that they will give fields another year to see if he develops, given the excuse that he had crap around him. That's the old Bears thinking that got us an extra year of Nagy etc. If they get to the end of this year and don't have a solid answer on Fields, then we will be looking for a new QB.

I'm of the opinion that at some point they may need to see what Simien can do.  I'm not suggesting he start in the place of Fields immediately just that before they go out and make a mistake in drafting another QB, they see what he can offer.  I still think the focus should be on higher caliber players surrounding the QB, whoever that may be.  I feel they owe it to Fields and to Simien.  As has been brought up already, this regime did not draft Fields but they did sign Simien.  I suspect if we see him later in the year, that could be an indication of what they're thinking for next year.  

For what its worth I'll reiterate not only my belief in Fields but that they should give him the majority (if not all) of his rookie deal before they consider giving up totally.

13 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I'm of the opinion that at some point they may need to see what Simien can do.  I'm not suggesting he start in the place of Fields immediately just that before they go out and make a mistake in drafting another QB, they see what he can offer.  I still think the focus should be on higher caliber players surrounding the QB, whoever that may be.  I feel they owe it to Fields and to Simien.  As has been brought up already, this regime did not draft Fields but they did sign Simien.  I suspect if we see him later in the year, that could be an indication of what they're thinking for next year.  

For what its worth I'll reiterate not only my belief in Fields but that they should give him the majority (if not all) of his rookie deal before they consider giving up totally.

I hear you, and agree with some of it.

I dont think Simien can ever be a franchise QB, so id stay with Fields to see how he does.

If he makes serious progress, then yeah keep him around. He doesnt need to be the franchise guy by the end of this year, but he definitely needs to be showing major progress toward becoming that.

And since these guys didnt draft him, unless they see serious growth, I dont see them giving him next year too. If that's the case, they might keep him around as the backup if they cant find a trading partner, but I think wed definitely be drafting a QB in the first round then. And maybe even (gasp) trading up to get him. This is Poles and not Pace, so if he sees someone he thinks is the guy, we oughtta support his vision.

Trading up wasnt the problem. Trading up for the wrong guy was.

We are far from  knowing what Fields will turn out to be. The worst scenario is he gets hurt and this season gets wasted. They are going to draft lineman both offense and defense.. Not sure a WR will be rated that high o be worth in the middle of the first. They will target a WR in free agency, not sure if juju or Larzard deserve big money thou.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

We are far from  knowing what Fields will turn out to be. The worst scenario is he gets hurt and this season gets wasted. They are going to draft lineman both offense and defense.. Not sure a WR will be rated that high o be worth in the middle of the first. They will target a WR in free agency, not sure if juju or Larzard deserve big money thou.

Yes, I agree. Fields has this season to show what he can do. If he gets a season ending injury that would be a disaster.

I DO see growth in Fields, but he isnt there yet. Will he get far enough this year? We will all see, I cant bet either way.

A lot of pundits say we didn't upgrade the positions around Fields enough to get an honest opinion on his future. I'm  not sure how we could have did that was the cap situation we were in. Poles decided to bring in a bunch of FAs with potential rather than spend the money on a rob or someone like 17 mil for Kirk. If you look at production, the only WR among FAs is Kirk at 10 and no other ones in the top 40. I don't think  Kirk is a #1 but he is being paid as one.

I don't think any FAs would have been successful in our current offense the way its been playing. We didn't have enough money to upgrade the WR, OL and defensive backfield in 2022. We didn't have a first round pick or  enough high picks to address all of our weaknesses in1 draft.

I guess I'm saying Poles did the best he could considering the situation he started with. He did set up next year to be a game changer as to upgrade our overall talent. I still think we will see improvement and 7-8 wins down from the 9 I originally thought would happen.

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I guess I'm saying Poles did the best he could considering the situation he started with. He did set up next year to be a game changer as to upgrade our overall talent. I still think we will see improvement and 7-8 wins down from the 9 I originally thought would happen.

Agreed, plus we all knew whatever Poles could've done, still wouldn't be enough for this year.  IMO, he's doing what's best for future years.

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Agreed, plus we all knew whatever Poles could've done, still wouldn't be enough for this year.  IMO, he's doing what's best for future years.

yes, finally a GM with a vision for the future.