Draft Slot Tracker (thru Week 15)

adam

After the TNF clown show, the Bears are currently picking 6th.  Due to the SoS, pretty much any 2-3 team will hop in front of the Bears with a loss this weekend (10 teams), and no 1-4 team that wins will drop past the Bears. 

With 3 games that have 2-3 teams playing against each other, this week's current draft pick slot range will be 9th-13th with the potential to have as many as 9 teams tied at 2-4. 

Interestingly enough, the 14 teams with a winning record are the 14 current playoff teams, and the best non-WC team is IND at 2-2-1. So it seems that the league playoff picture is taking shape pretty early this year.

If I am Poles, not only am I shopping pretty much everyone, I would be looking for some WRs, OL, and DT help from teams looking to sell. CAR, HOU, and surprisingly PIT and LVR are in that boat right now. 

- EDIT FOR WEEK 15 -

Bears currently drafting 2nd at 3-11. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking, yes. But hopefully only signing players that you think are the best options youll see in the next year and a half at those positions - otherwise you end up singing lesser players to long term deals, and that is the ongoing mistake we are digging out from.

Getting incrementally better at the expense of the future roster is a mistake Poles has avoided so far.

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

Looking, yes. But hopefully only signing players that you think are the best options youll see in the next year and a half at those positions - otherwise you end up singing lesser players to long term deals, and that is the ongoing mistake we are digging out from.

Getting incrementally better at the expense of the future roster is a mistake Poles has avoided so far.

Very true, are the part of the new "core". If not, just keep bringing in vets on prove it deals.

1 hour ago, adam said:

Very true, are the part of the new "core". If not, just keep bringing in vets on prove it deals.

exactly, and unfortunately, in the beginning, that looks like Poles has no eye for talent, but then when you see what he paid them, it tells this other story.

15 hours ago, adam said:

After the TNF clown show, the Bears are currently picking 6th.  Due to the SoS, pretty much any 2-3 team will hop in front of the Bears with a loss this weekend (10 teams), and no 1-4 team that wins will drop past the Bears. 

With 3 games that have 2-3 teams playing against each other, this week's current draft pick slot range will be 9th-13th with the potential to have as many as 9 teams tied at 2-4. 

Interestingly enough, the 14 teams with a winning record are the 14 current playoff teams, and the best non-WC team is IND at 2-2-1. So it seems that the league playoff picture is taking shape pretty early this year.

If I am Poles, not only am I shopping pretty much everyone, I would be looking for some WRs, OL, and DT help from teams looking to sell. CAR, HOU, and surprisingly PIT and LVR are in that boat right now. 

I can't endorse this or cosign this enough. This should be the Bears manifesto moving forward. Further, the front office should ask Fields if he and Jaxon Smith-Njigba have any sort of rapport; and, if so, he should be drafted to make our young QB more comfortable. 

Am I missing something? He only has 4 catches on the year. Not sure that will qualify him as a top 10 pick. He has 4.52 speed which isnt great . I think they will take the best player available. That could be OL, DL or WR. I think we will have a high enough of a pick to get a good WR in the first couple of rounds. If we end up top 5, I bet he trades back for more capitol first. 

5 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Am I missing something? He only has 4 catches on the year. Not sure that will qualify him as a top 10 pick. He has 4.52 speed which isnt great . I think they will take the best player available. That could be OL, DL or WR. I think we will have a high enough of a pick to get a good WR in the first couple of rounds. If we end up top 5, I bet he trades back for more capitol first. 

Not missing a thing.  Without the talent he had around him last year he's not the same player.  Just in that highlight video you can see how quickly the Utah DB runs him down.  He's a good route runner and would make our WRs group better but not a top 10 pick.  We need Oline and Dline.  Carter or Bresee and if not there trade back to 2nd half of the 1st Rd where the WR/Oline talent lies.  

Just now, AZ54 said:

Not missing a thing.  Without the talent he had around him last year he's not the same player but he's had an injury keeping him out of games.  Just in that highlight video you can see how quickly the Utah DB runs him down.  He's a good route runner and would make our WRs group better but not a top 10 pick. 

We need Oline and Dline.  Carter or Bresee and if not there trade back to 2nd half of the 1st Rd where the WR/Oline talent lies.  Enjoy another year with two 2nd Rd picks.  

13 hours ago, jason said:

This should be the Bears manifesto moving forward. Further, the front office should ask Fields if he and Jaxon Smith-Njigba have any sort of rapport; and, if so, he should be drafted to make our young QB more comfortable. 

I agree. Not sure if this guy is first round material but maybe 2nd or 3rd?  But if he’s a security blanket (of sorts) for Fields why not?  Works for Burrow and Chase in Cincy and is working for Hurts and Smith in Philly.  And whenever I watch the Eagles play (like last night) I forget they have AJ Brown too.  Damn that’s a good offense.  

On 10/17/2022 at 5:21 AM, Stinger226 said:

Who said top 10? As always, I want the Bears to trade down and stockpile.  It would thrill me to see the Bears end up near the end of the 1st with extra 2nds and 3rds. 

Adam started this thread on the concept that we have a top 10 pick (6 th) at the moment. I was reacting to picking the WR in the top 10. Personally I think we will be between 15-20 as far as picking him which he may fall into that value. He needs to get productive quickly to even be a first rounder. 

16 hours ago, jason said:

Who said top 10? As always, I want the Bears to trade down and stockpile.  It would thrill me to see the Bears end up near the end of the 1st with extra 2nds and 3rds. 

Agreed.  Without the early entrants right now to me it appears the blue chips in this draft are not deep, maybe about top 5 only.  Early entrants might bump that up a bit but if we're not in blue chip territory then the value from 9-25 or later might be similar.  With multiple needs the trade back makes sense.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Agreed.  Without the early entrants right now to me it appears the blue chips in this draft are not deep, maybe about top 5 only.  Early entrants might bump that up a bit but if we're not in blue chip territory then the value from 9-25 or later might be similar.  With multiple needs the trade back makes sense.  

I agree as well.  Unless we end up with sexy Rexy and Alex Haynes...😳

21 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Adam started this thread on the concept that we have a top 10 pick (6 th) at the moment. I was reacting to picking the WR in the top 10. Personally I think we will be between 15-20 as far as picking him which he may fall into that value. He needs to get productive quickly to even be a first rounder. 

We are currently 11th after the entire week's games, as the 2nd best 2-4 team.

After the early games this week, the Bears are now drafting 10th. The most they can move up with a loss is to 7th (if HOU, DEN, and PIT all win). If they win they would drop to 13th, and possibly as to 15th (if SEA and MIA win).

So the range this week is 7th-10th with a loss or 13th to 15th with a win.

Mock using Fanspeak simulator.  Only took RB bc he was BPA. Would love to move down since Bresse was a reach.
5: R1 P5 DL Bryan Bresse  - Clemson
36: R2 P5 RB Bijan Robinson - Texas
68: R3 P5 WR Quentin Johnston - TCU
107: R4 P5 C Jarrett Patterson - Notre Dame
133: R4 Phi LB Owen Pappoe - Auburn
140: R5 P5 OT Ryan Hayes - Michigan
220: R7 P5 DL Dante Stills - West Virginia
Or
5: R1 P5 OT Paris Johnson - Ohio State
36: R2 P5 RB Bijan Robinson - Texas
68: R3 P5 C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas
107: R4 P5 WR Jermaine Burton Alabama
133:R5 PHI DL DJ Dale - Alabama
140: R5 P5 LB Owen Pappoe - Auburn
220: R7 P5 DL Dante Stills - West Virginia

7: R1 P7 OT Peter Skoronski - Northwestern
56: R2 P25 DL Tuli Tuipulotu - Southern Cal
70: R3 P7 EDGE Mike Morris - Michigan
109: R4 P7 RB Chase Brown - Illinois
133: R4 P31 LB Owen Pappoe - Auburn
142: R5 P7 WR Jermaine Burton - Alabama
160: R5 P25 CB Cam Hart - Notre Dame
222: R7 P7 C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas

1 hour ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:
7: R1 P7 OT Peter Skoronski - Northwestern
56: R2 P25 DL Tuli Tuipulotu - Southern Cal
70: R3 P7 EDGE Mike Morris - Michigan
109: R4 P7 RB Chase Brown - Illinois
133: R4 P31 LB Owen Pappoe - Auburn
142: R5 P7 WR Jermaine Burton - Alabama
160: R5 P25 CB Cam Hart - Notre Dame
222: R7 P7 C Ricky Stromberg - Arkansas

I like this one. Seems realistic for our needs.

After the ref aided loss this weekend, the Bears are currently drafting 8th but will slide to 9th with a NO loss to BAL on MNF. With the bye weeks in full force now, there will be a half game difference with some teams until all the teams have had their bye. The Bears are 1 game away from drafting 16th and 1 game away from drafting 5th. 

The Bears next 4 games before their bye are: DET 2-6, ATL 4-5, NYJ 6-3, and GB 3-6. All those games are winnable, but I figure they will at least split them to go no worse than 5-8 into the bye with 4 to play.

With the way the offense is trending, the Bears will probably win 7-8 games this year. At 7 wins they will draft in the low teens, 8 wins is high teens. 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:01 AM, Stinger226 said:

Where ever we draft that will be fine. If you can identify talent, 5 to 10 slots worse will still get you a good player. 

You should get good players anywhere in the 1st round....but it's more likely you get a great player the higher up you are.

I'd love to lose every game 42-35 or something like that where the offense is clearly balling out and ready to contend. 

• adam changed the title to Draft Slot Tracker (thru Week 15)