adam

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, killakrzydav said:

Mazi has been talking to about seventy in my mocks. I’ve grabbed him once or twice and would be ok with the pick if our coaches are

Sign me up for Mazi.  He is the number 1 athletic freak in the draft.  

6-3 337 he is #1 for Bruce Feldmans freak list. Has rare strength and agility.  Clocked 4.41 shuttle time which ties the best DT last years combine but at 337#, he would have the best time in over a decade.

Like Mazi.  If we get the haul that is anticipated with trading down from the number 1 and we pick up an early second.  I would look at Siaki Ika.  I've watched him since high school.  He has gotten faster and stronger.  Same mold as Haloti Ngata.  A true 1 technique block eater.  If we get DaRon Payne, we need someone to gobble up double teams and be a run stopper.  The only edge I would give to Mazi is that he is a two time academic honoree.

23 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Sign me up for Mazi.  He is the number 1 athletic freak in the draft.  

6-3 337 he is #1 for Bruce Feldmans freak list. Has rare strength and agility.  Clocked 4.41 shuttle time which ties the best DT last years combine but at 337#, he would have the best time in over a decade.

An athletic freak who could only muster 2.5 tackles for a loss, and 0.5 sacks in 14 games?   In 3 seasons at Mich he's had a whopping 3 tackles for a loss, and that half sack is  the grand total for his career.  That's despite playing next to Hutchinson who was a top 10 pick.   If that was the best he could do against college Olinemen how does that translate to more production against NFL Olinemen? 

I don't see much here against TCU.  In fact his strength is his best asset and they easily moved him whenever he was doubled, even at the goal line.  If you can't get pass rush at least hold your ground.   My guess is he ends up as just a 2-down depth player in the NFL.  

There are also a ton of plays where he just stands around if the ball doesn't come right at him.  I can't see how that style fits in with Eberflus' HITS ethos.  I've said before there just doesn't seem to be much talent at DT in this draft.  Hopefully we get some surprises out of the Senior Bowl, or maybe there are some lesser rated prospects who move up as learn more info.  Even Jalen Carter and Bresee have significant questions surrounding their game.  I'm all-in on using FA to fix DT this year.  There are a lot more options in the top 100 at Edge.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YwcDhTgQ-c

30 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

An athletic freak who could only muster 2.5 tackles for a loss, and 0.5 sacks in 14 games?   In 3 seasons at Mich he's had a whopping 3 tackles for a loss, and that half sack is  the grand total for his career.  That's despite playing next to Hutchinson who was a top 10 pick.   If that was the best he could do against college Olinemen how does that translate to more production against NFL Olinemen? 

I don't see much here against TCU.  In fact his strength is his best asset and they easily moved him whenever he was doubled, even at the goal line.  If you can't get pass rush at least hold your ground.   My guess is he ends up as just a 2-down depth player in the NFL.  

There are also a ton of plays where he just stands around if the ball doesn't come right at him.  I can't see how that style fits in with Eberflus' HITS ethos.  I've said before there just doesn't seem to be much talent at DT in this draft.  Hopefully we get some surprises out of the Senior Bowl, or maybe there are some lesser rated prospects who move up as learn more info.  Even Jalen Carter and Bresee have significant questions surrounding their game.  I'm all-in on using FA to fix DT this year.  There are a lot more options in the top 100 at Edge.  

I can see us get a DT and OT in free agency, then hammer edge early in draft. When I look at DTs in college, I look at production. If you got a DT with lots of tackles, that makes a statement to me .   Nazi had 44 tackles but not much in wow plays, because he is going to be a NT not a 3 T. 

Gervon Dexter had 55 tackles, that's a lot for a DT, but is like5th best DT, I would think he would be rated higher.

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I can see us get a DT and OT in free agency, then hammer edge early in draft. When I look at DTs in college, I look at production. If you got a DT with lots of tackles, that makes a statement to me .   Nazi had 44 tackles but not much in wow plays, because he is going to be a NT not a 3 T. 

Gervon Dexter had 55 tackles, that's a lot for a DT, but is like5th best DT, I would think he would be rated higher.

Gervon is perplexing because he has talent but is so slow off the snap he's usually the last man to move.  Sometimes everyone else is already upright as he's just coming out of his stance.  I don't know if that can be coached out of him but in the NFL giving up a first step like that is not going to end well especially on run downs.  

9 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Gervon is perplexing because he has talent but is so slow off the snap he's usually the last man to move.  Sometimes everyone else is already upright as he's just coming out of his stance.  I don't know if that can be coached out of him but in the NFL giving up a first step like that is not going to end well especially on run downs.  

I'll have to watch tape, not sure I have seen him play before. 

18 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Just like Alonzo Spellman

23 hours ago, AZ54 said:

He does have faults, that is why he will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.  He has attributes you cannot coach which makes him interesting.  He played NT or 0T, which is more sacrificing than glory. His job was to take control of the line and he did a decent job which allowed their Edge rushers to flourish.  Put him back at NT or as a 3T where his job is to crash the B gap and with his burst may make him special?   Either way if he doesn't loaf and buys into the system, he could be a good player. 

It’s only day 2 but Senior bowl practices seem to be helping a few DTs move up.  We’ll see how the top  100 looks next week.  If we want, we can get two good edge rushers out of this draft between day 1 and day 2.  WR depth for middle rounds is showing up as well.  

2 hours ago, AZ54 said:

It’s only day 2 but Senior bowl practices seem to be helping a few DTs move up.  We’ll see how the top  100 looks next week.  If we want, we can get two good edge rushers out of this draft between day 1 and day 2.  WR depth for middle rounds is showing up as well.  

That's exactly what i think will happen. As I watched big boards, A lot of different opinions on players. I think the process will  change the value a lot. Some are better at predicting value than others.

and once you get through the blue chip players, which is extremely fast, you're left with players who have some good attributes, and some shortcomings. So then it matters what your scheme is. Some teams will rank some players higher because they have the traits they need for their system (accepting the drawbacks from that player that they dont emphasize in their system) and other players will prioritize different players because of their strengths and weaknesses.

For example, we dont need a shut down corner. We wont spend big for a stud in man coverage. we will look for ball hawks who can play in a zone scheme.

Everyone picking a top 5 player is looking for a complete player, but after just a few picks, it changes, and then each players value is relative depending on what the team needs from that position.

Long winded way to say, hell yeah there will be players in the 3rd and 4th round we can use!

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

you're left with players who have some good attributes, and some shortcomings.

A former 6th round drafted player just officially retired (again) after 23 seasons, winning 7 Super Bowls and setting a ton of records.  Where another player drafted dead last got his team to the NFC Championship game.  

And more locally, we found at least one diamond in the rough for MLB that otherwise was an UDFA. 

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

A former 6th round drafted player just officially retired (again) after 23 seasons, winning 7 Super Bowls and setting a ton of records.  Where another player drafted dead last got his team to the NFC Championship game.  

And more locally, we found at least one diamond in the rough for MLB that otherwise was an UDFA. 

and none of them is a complete player. Brady cant run, etc.

Plus those are one in a million chances.

But my point remains - after the first 15 picks, different teams will value players differently depending on how they fit their schemes, so there is lots of good talent for us available in later rounds, and not all teams will be wanting those players (some will)

I wasnt saying no one is available later, more like saying that not all the teams will be looking to take the same guys so they WILL be there for us.

Brady was a unique situation, A player like that will never last that long again, to much coverage on players these days. I like some unknown players moving up boards, which  means there is more talent out there that originally thought. 

Been watching lots of Senior Bowl coverage, some players would look good as Bears.

Derrick Hall/Edge

Marte Mapu/LB

Will McDonald/Edge

Cody Mauch/OL

Rashee Rice/WR

Luke Musgrave/TE

Tyjae Spears/RB

Darnell Wright/OT

44 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Brady was a unique situation, A player like that will never last that long again, to much coverage on players these days. I like some unknown players moving up boards, which  means there is more talent out there that originally thought. 

Been watching lots of Senior Bowl coverage, some players would look good as Bears.

Derrick Hall/Edge

Marte Mapu/LB

Will McDonald/Edge

Cody Mauch/OL

Rashee Rice/WR

Luke Musgrave/TE

Tyjae Spears/RB

Darnell Wright/OT

I'm very interested in Musgrave.  He would be a nice compliment to Kmet and is also a fiery competitor.  Since the WR outings aren't that great this year, we can find more explosive plays from this and more dynamic running backs.

Cody Mauch is awesome. I know he's probably meant to be a viking with that hair lol, but he is a nasty MF with a huge motor and desire. He and Jenkins could be a lot to handle if they grow together. Even if they dont end up playing right next to each other, two nasty players like that would really create an identity.

25 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

Cody Mauch is awesome. I know he's probably meant to be a viking with that hair lol, but he is a nasty MF with a huge motor and desire. He and Jenkins could be a lot to handle if they grow together. Even if they dont end up playing right next to each other, two nasty players like that would really create an identity.

He's been playing LG at senior bowl. Unfortunately he probably moved from the 4th round up to the second. Would be a nice pick for 65. 

50 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I'm very interested in Musgrave.  He would be a nice compliment to Kmet and is also a fiery competitor.  Since the WR outings aren't that great this year, we can find more explosive plays from this and more dynamic running backs.

Musgrave would be great, I like Kincaid better but he will go in the second round. Maybe if Musgrave makes it to 3 rd or 4 th round.

It would be great to have a bunch of picks from 50 to 100. Maybe with trade backs.

1 hour ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

How many 6th Rd picks does it take to find one Pro Bowl player?  It's here and it's clear that the best chances of finding starter caliber players lies in the first 100 draftees.

Beyond that you are getting more fringe players but of course there are always exceptions.  Oddly UDFA have higher % of starters in the league than any of Rds 3-7.    That may be in part due to some UDFA recovering from injuries affecting draft status, or character red flags.

When you look at their % games started it's clearly Rd 1-3 where the bulk of NFL starters get chosen. 

Look at the % Reaching All-Pro status.   48% of All Pros come from Rd 1.  2nd Rd picks land at 14%.  Here again UDFA out perform even 3rd Rd picks with 10.5% over 8.8%.   

(article is from 2015 but I don't think the NFL draft landscape has changed much since then) 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2015/05/22/tracking-nfl-draft-efficiency-how-contingent-is-success-to-draft-position/?sh=6d01e3197495   

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Musgrave would be great, I like Kincaid better but he will go in the second round. Maybe if Musgrave makes it to 3 rd or 4 th round.

It would be great to have a bunch of picks from 50 to 100. Maybe with trade backs.

Been watching the Senior Bowl updates as well.  After this I'm about to go do a double trade back scenario draft.  First trade with Houston, then trade with Carolina and see how many top 100 picks I can get.  

38 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Been watching the Senior Bowl updates as well.  After this I'm about to go do a double trade back scenario draft.  First trade with Houston, then trade with Carolina and see how many top 100 picks I can get.  

On PFN draft simulator, I did 3 trade backs, and had 4 first rounds picks in 2024 plus 11 picks in the top 100 . first pick was 14. I think it was Bresee. 

That's very unrealistic but fun to pretend.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

On PFN draft simulator, I did 3 trade backs, and had 4 first rounds picks in 2024 plus 11 picks in the top 100 . first pick was 14. I think it was Bresee. 

That's very unrealistic but fun to pretend.

I did something similar with a few trade backs but their player rankings are so far off from reality that's about all you can use it for.