Top FA Targets

adam

11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Musgrave would be great, I like Kincaid better but he will go in the second round. Maybe if Musgrave makes it to 3 rd or 4 th round.

It would be great to have a bunch of picks from 50 to 100. Maybe with trade backs.

Bucky Brooks has Kincaid as his seventh best player in the draft.  He is exactly what we need at the other TE position.  Greg Olsen was talking about Kmet as a potentially great inline TE, but cautioned his ability to create separation and/or beat any coverage of the line of scrimmage, due to lack of twitch.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Bucky Brooks has Kincaid as his seventh best player in the draft.  He is exactly what we need at the other TE position.  Greg Olsen was talking about Kmet as a potentially great inline TE, but cautioned his ability to create separation and/or beat any coverage of the line of scrimmage, due to lack of twitch.

That will change soon but still intriguing that a former scout would rank him that high.  

As much as mock drafts are interesting, the draft will be defined by who we get in free agency.  Sure we can acquire a (DT) (edge), (OL) in free agency and still draft the same but I think Poles is selective with his additions. 

Our biggest (needs) are DL, OL and then add playmakers. He's going to play chess on how he assembles the roster.

Sure every position can be addressed but he started last year with the rebuild. 

Playmakers could be Luke Musgrave instead of a WR . A Tank Dell instead of a top rated WR.

A Devon Achane/ speed RB. 

Don't underestimate the fact he liked Patrick as a OC last year and could figure him there again plus a drafted player to compete with.

Keep Whitehair until J Carter develops.

I think he will get a RT either with a FA or high draft pick. 

I expect Velus Jones to have more of an impact next year. He showed some wow plays the last few games.

Has big plans for Chase Claypool, and we don't add a high drafted WR.

Don't think he has given up on Ebner yet either.

We just don't know how Poles will play this. 

11 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Seen a story by Fishburn stating the Bears will attack the Oline in free agency. I have always believed that. They need the line to be good now, not let rookies develop. McGary and Pocic here we come.

especially considering we will probably not have a blue chip stud at WR1 in 2023, you gotta beef up that line.

And the front seven rebuild under Eberflus should be very interesting too.

Was looking at PFF contract projections. We could add McGary/13 mil a yr, Pocic/7 mil, and Ben Powers/9 mil and have a dominant OL for yrs to come. Figure Patrick, Borom, J Carter and a rookie as backups. Leatherwood will have spring training to prove himself. Still have money for a DL add.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

especially considering we will probably not have a blue chip stud at WR1 in 2023, you gotta beef up that line.

And the front seven rebuild under Eberflus should be very interesting too.

We can get by without a blue chip stud at WR simply because Fields commands so much attention as a runner.  That tends to occupy at least one 2nd level defender even on obvious 3rd and long passing downs.  

8 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

We can get by without a blue chip stud at WR simply because Fields commands so much attention as a runner.  That tends to occupy at least one 2nd level defender even on obvious 3rd and long passing downs.  

and if the line gives him an extra half. second of protection, thats an extra half a second the WRs have to get open.

1 hour ago, Stinger226 said:

Was looking at PFF contract projections. We could add McGary/13 mil a yr, Pocic/7 mil, and Ben Powers/9 mil and have a dominant OL for yrs to come. Figure Patrick, Borom, J Carter and a rookie as backups. Leatherwood will have spring training to prove himself. Still have money for a DL add.

It would be great to go into the draft not needing Oline and ideally only needing one DT to fill out a good 3-man rotation.  There is CB talent early in Rd 1, as well as Edge talent throughout top 100.   Fit in a LB/WR somewhere on day 2/3.   I'm hoping for 5 picks in top 102 (first pick 4th Rd) if not more.     

In the end I don't think it's likely we fix WR via FA as the money is too high and talent pool is mediocre.  Plus the balance on contracts, assuming they extend Mooney and then Claypool a year later, would be poor.   We really need young talent there to pair with Velus. 

By the way having the first pick in Rd 4 is big plus for us because some 3rd Rd talent usually drops and if there is depth it gives us a night to plan and possibly trade back a bit and grab a 6th Rd pick in exchange.  Or we just outright grab the guy who dropped.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

It would be great to go into the draft not needing Oline and ideally only needing one DT to fill out a good 3-man rotation.  There is CB talent early in Rd 1, as well as Edge talent throughout top 100.   Fit in a LB/WR somewhere on day 2/3.   I'm hoping for 5 picks in top 102 (first pick 4th Rd) if not more.     Right you are , every draft has 3 or 4 

In the end I don't think it's likely we fix WR via FA as the money is too high and talent pool is mediocre.  Plus the balance on contracts, assuming they extend Mooney and then Claypool a year later, would be poor.   We really need young talent there to pair with Velus. 

By the way having the first pick in Rd 4 is big plus for us because some 3rd Rd talent usually drops and if there is depth it gives us a night to plan and possibly trade back a bit and grab a 6th Rd pick in exchange.  Or we just outright grab the guy who dropped.  

Right you are, every draft has a few high rated draft picks drop to the 4 th round.A good place to get some extra picks for teams focused on a certain player. 

Last  year Dameon Pierce--Romeo Doubs-Zach Tom--Daniel Bellinger all were 4 th round.

Team cuts and cap casualty projections are starting to pop up all over. The Free Agent market is going to look a lot different once teams starting making those cuts before the new league year on March 15th. We are now 5 weeks out. 

Compared to previous seasons, since the Bears basically control the market for at least the first few signings, I figure we will have 2-3 key signings in the first 24 hours, and will know who they will be on the 13th (first day of legal tampering period).

Then the more accurate mock drafts can start. 

Decent article below about Robert Quinn’s thoughts on leaving Chicago.  Let’s say he wasn’t happy about it, at first.  But shows class when speaking about his transition from the Bears to the Eagles.  And, he voided out the last two years of his contract when he joined the Eagles making him an FA this next season.  Someone (Adam?) noted that Robets does well every other year.  According to my calculations he’s due for another strong year next year.  Could use help in the edge rushing next season?  🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg Gabriel was talking about the chances of getting DeRon Payne. Washington has cap problems but they can save 26 million by just cutting Carson Wentz without penalty. The key for them is the DL situation where next year they need to pay their DEs. Do you want to stick that much money in the DL.

Interesting prospect and one of those lesser known tier 2 types that has a good history of production.  

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/02/mutual-interest-between-commanders-eric-bieniemy

What caught my eye the most was this quote from Eberflus: 

"Your defensive ends have to be able to set the edge so that the gaps don't get too wide and that's an important piece on the tackles," Eberflus said. "And they've got to be able to play back side. They've got to be able to stay alive."

We have to keep that in mind for the draft prospects and specifically for Anderson at the top.  If we're at 4 and both on the board we might just go with Tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy.  I think as edge players Wilson's quickness appeals to me more and with 36" arms he won't have any issues setting the edge and compressing the gap between OT/OG.  

This is a really interesting point. It means that if Anderson is off the table (or less valuable to us than pick #3 or #4) because he cant set the edge, we might be willing to drop down a lot further than anyone has predicted yet, that brings picks lower than #5 and in the top 15 ish into focus, and imagine the haul we could get for dropping that far, while still nabbing a player like Wilson or Murphy.

This is especially true if we are able to get some DL help in Free Agency first.

We may be a lot more flexible than even any of our scenarios might have shown.

8 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Anderson is as close a clone as you can get to Micah Parsons. Anyone here saying they wouldn't take Parsons because he lacks the size to play DE in this scheme? 

No, an impact player is an impact player. If Roquan had been getting 15 turnovers a year they'd have paid him, even as an off the ball LB.

But if your scheme relies on the DE to hold the edge, then you might not want to part with the 3rd pick overall for him. You might rank him a bit lower in terms of his value. Not second round low, but maybe #8 instead of #3 etc.

Dallas runs a lot of man to man and blitz schemes, and they play cover 3 more than cover 2. So the DE position is a little different. Then again, if you had Micah Parsons, maybe you'd change your scheme to get the best out of him?

Micah Parsons is an off-ball LB most of the time but he lines up at edge on obvious passing downs.  Other than that he blitzes.  I confess to hating the Cowboys enough that I don't watch them very often so that's just what I see in a limited sample. 

The situation here is that we might not mind having the pass rushing demon paired up with a big edge on the opposite side.  DE is a heavily rotated position anyways so having the elite rusher in the arsenal for those moments is nice.   My question is can I get a similar player in Rd 2/3 like Will McDonald?  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

Micah Parsons is an off-ball LB most of the time but he lines up at edge on obvious passing downs.  Other than that he blitzes.  I confess to hating the Cowboys enough that I don't watch them very often so that's just what I see in a limited sample. 

The situation here is that we might not mind having the pass rushing demon paired up with a big edge on the opposite side.  DE is a heavily rotated position anyways so having the elite rusher in the arsenal for those moments is nice.   My question is can I get a similar player in Rd 2/3 like Will McDonald?  

Maybe, lots of larger edges available in this draft. If we trade back a couple of times and end up with Tyree Wilson, I'm still a happy camper. lots of options when you have a # 1 pick. I trust Poles to evaluate talent. Him and Cunningham come from good drafting teams so I suspect they know what to look for.

If we had Tyree Wilson, TreMont Jones, Siaki Ika, Will McDonald  . I'm ecstatic

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

Was listening to a podcast, and someone mentioned the name, Parris Campbell. He has 4.31 speed, 6' 208 lbs. Injury free last year had 63 catches. OTC suggests a salary around 8-10 mil. What do you think? Not that it matters but is from Ohio State.

He's ok.  Fills the niche of a slot WR based on what I see on his Indy highlights.  Flus will know quite a bit about defending him from the practices.  He seems fast but not 4.31 fast or to put it another way.. VJJ seems faster as he pulls away from more defenders quicker.  I don't think I'd be calling him first but I'd let his agent know he can keep in touch.